What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Healthiest Chips for Salsa? (1 Viewer)

satch

Footballguy
I'm looking for a healthy (relatively speaking) chip that would be good for devouring large bowls of salsa. Any suggestions?

If you're one of those manly men who like super spicy salsa and a little bit of risk, I'd highly recommend a chip made with Olestra.

If you're one of those manly men who like super spicy salsa and a little bit of risk, I'd highly recommend a chip made with Olestra.
:goodposting:

I used to love these, but haven't been able to find them at the supermarket for a few years now.

Buy whole grain tortilla shells, cut them like a pizza into 8 pieces. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for approx 8-10 minutes. Chips will hold up to anything you throw at it.

Why do you give a chit if you are going to eat an entire bowl of salsa? It is like the idiot at mc Donalds that eats two double quater pounders with a diet coke....just because you drank the diet coke doesn't make you meal Okay....

Why do you give a chit if you are going to eat an entire bowl of salsa? It is like the idiot at mc Donalds that eats two double quater pounders with a diet coke....just because you drank the diet coke doesn't make you meal Okay....
Why is it bad to eat an entire bowl of salsa? Especially if it's fresh and homemade.

The wife and I switched to "Late July Organic" a few months back to go with the guacamole. We get the "sea salt by the seashore" 100% multigrain flavor. Gluten free, 280mgs of omega 3s, 2g of fiber.

It's a chip so it's not supposed to be the most healthy thing in your diet. But they taste good and they don't have a lot of the crap that the Frito lay brand has.

Why is it bad to eat an entire bowl of salsa? Especially if it's fresh and homemade.
Everyone knows how important it is to limit your vegetable intake!

calories are calories right?

yes, but you still have to eat.

800 calories of Mcdonald's burgers and 800 calories of fresh salsa are completely different.

Salsa is low in calories. HTH

Everyone knows how important it is to limit your vegetable intake!
I guess you are assuming the op is drinking the salsa?

yes, but you still have to eat. 800 calories of Mcdonald's burgers and 800 calories of fresh salsa are completely different.
God.... That would be so much salsa...

An entire jar of salsa is only about 200 calories.

The only real downside is the sodium, but if this guy is making his at home that would probably eliminate that.

800 calories of Mcdonald's burgers and 800 calories of fresh salsa are completely different.
If you're talking about heart health, energy, or tracking macros for working out then sure. If you're talking about weight loss, then not really.

You can eat 3500 calories worth of lean grilled chicken and steamed veggies every day and you'll gain weight. Meanwhile you can eat 1500 calories worth of purely Big Macs every day and you'll lose weight.

Aside from general health outside of weight loss, one of the big benefits of healthy food is that it's a lot harder to eat too many calories worth. It would take you hours upon hours to eat 800 calories worth of salsa, but 1.5 Big Macs to get to 800 would take all of 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is if you're eating a ton of salsa, the calories are going to add up quickly even with "healthy" chips. Your best bet is to take out whatever is a serving size of those chips, let's say they're 150 calories, and put away the rest of the bag. Then add in veggies like carrots, peppers, and celery. Celery is the best as there are basically no calories and it even has it's own scoop-like structure built right into it. Have one chip for every 3 veggies and you'll get your taste for the chips in a moderate amount and still get to knock off all that salsa.

When I'm eating dips...salsas, hummus, etc...I'm eating it for the dip. A piece of celery is just the apparatus for getting that delicious salsa/hummus into my mouth because people point when I just use my fingers. So when I'm eating healthy (or trying to), I'm fine with using the lowest calorie option.

Yeah. A whole bowl of fresh salsa might contain like 150 calories of pure vegetable fiber and water. The horror!

The wife and I switched to "Late July Organic" a few months back to go with the guacamole. We get the "sea salt by the seashore" 100% multigrain flavor. Gluten free, 280mgs of omega 3s, 2g of fiber.

It's a chip so it's not supposed to be the most healthy thing in your diet. But they taste good and they don't have a lot of the crap that the Frito lay brand has.
I don't think I've seen those but will look. Thanks.

Has anyone actually answered the question?
Good point.

I found the Tostitos I was referring to in my last post here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tostitos-Light-Restaurant-Style-Tortilla-Chips-6.75-oz/19476947

Very hard to find, haven't been able to myself in like 2-3 years. These were delicious, and if you look at the nutrition facts, they won't kill you if you just want to snack and eat some salsa.
I just spent 10 minutes trying to find the Olestra/Olean Haiku page that I first found about 18 years ago. Sadly, it is gone.

The haikus were hilarious. Of course the reason there are funny poems about it is that your body can't process the synthetic fat (that's why it doesn't cause wait gain) which can sometimes result in intestinal distress and/or sphincter leakage.

You can make tortilla chips by baking them instead of frying them. It's surprisingly easy to make them at home, and they're just as tasty.

Get some masa harina, which is just nixtamalized corn, and is very cheap. Add water and make tortillas -- there are YouTube videos on this. Cut the tortillas into triangles. Lightly coat them with olive oil or whatever. And bake them.

I guess you could have kale chips instead if you're trying to be extra super healthy, but tortilla chips really aren't too bad if they're not fried in highly processed vegetable oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually answered the question?
Good point.

I found the Tostitos I was referring to in my last post here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tostitos-Light-Restaurant-Style-Tortilla-Chips-6.75-oz/19476947

Very hard to find, haven't been able to myself in like 2-3 years. These were delicious, and if you look at the nutrition facts, they won't kill you if you just want to snack and eat some salsa.
I just spent 10 minutes trying to find the Olestra/Olean Haiku page that I first found about 18 years ago. Sadly, it is gone.

The haikus were hilarious. Of course the reason there are funny poems about it is that your body can't process the synthetic fat (that's why it doesn't cause wait gain) which can sometimes result in intestinal distress and/or sphincter leakage.
I always got gas-sy with the whole portfolio of Olean chips, but they were delicious and worth it. Shame that it looks like they got the boot from supermarkets.

Tortillas have a lot of calories in general, so while baking them probably makes them marginally "more healthy" than eating fried tortilla chips, they still aren't a low calorie food.

I don't think I've seen those but will look. Thanks.
Whole foods. They are like $1,382.43 a bag. They go great with the $8.95 guac though.

you shouldve been ridiculed more for this. Salsa has 15 calories per serving.

I buy La Favorita tortilla chips, unfortunately they may not be anywhere outside of Colorado. Somehow they are only 60 calories for one ounce, compared to 140-ish for the typical ounce of tortilla chips.

How long does homemade salsa stay fresh for in the fridge?
It varies. But usually not more than a couple of days before it gets fairly unappealing.
And for whatever it is worth, I seem to prefer it after a day in the fridge.
Oh, I agree with that. It improves overnight, then goes downhill rapidly.
I don't find that's true. I make a rather large batch and keep it in a 1/2 QT mason jar in the fridge. Use it over the next week to 2 weeks and it still holds up. The salsa is one consistency (not like a pico de gallo) processed in a food processor, so maybe that helps. A salsa with prominent tomato portions (like pico) probably would go bad relatively quickly.

FreeBaGeL said:
sbonomo said:

The only real downside is the sodium, but if this guy is making his at home that would probably eliminate that.

KCitons said:
If you're talking about heart health, energy, or tracking macros for working out then sure. If you're talking about weight loss, then not really.

You can eat 3500 calories worth of lean grilled chicken and steamed veggies every day and you'll gain weight. Meanwhile you can eat 1500 calories worth of purely Big Macs every day and you'll lose weight.

Aside from general health outside of weight loss, one of the big benefits of healthy food is that it's a lot harder to eat too many calories worth. It would take you hours upon hours to eat 800 calories worth of salsa, but 1.5 Big Macs to get to 800 would take all of 10 minutes.
Quality of calories matter for weight loss. Not all calories are created equal.

Rick James said:
RedmondLonghorn said:
Jaysus said:
RedmondLonghorn said:
RUSF18 said:
How long does homemade salsa stay fresh for in the fridge?
It varies. But usually not more than a couple of days before it gets fairly unappealing.
And for whatever it is worth, I seem to prefer it after a day in the fridge.
Oh, I agree with that. It improves overnight, then goes downhill rapidly.
I don't find that's true. I make a rather large batch and keep it in a 1/2 QT mason jar in the fridge. Use it over the next week to 2 weeks and it still holds up. The salsa is one consistency (not like a pico de gallo) processed in a food processor, so maybe that helps. A salsa with prominent tomato portions (like pico) probably would go bad relatively quickly.
Yeah, I was really talking about pico de gallo, tropical salsas and other fresh chunky salsas.

FreeBaGeL said:
sbonomo said:

KCitons said:

Quality of calories matter for weight loss. Not all calories are created equal.
If it isn't from refined sugar or other simple carbs, I am skeptical that there is much difference.

Users who are viewing this thread