What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Healthiest Chips for Salsa? (1 Viewer)

sbonomo said:
KCitons said:
sbonomo said:
Why do you give a chit if you are going to eat an entire bowl of salsa? It is like the idiot at mc Donalds that eats two double quater pounders with a diet coke....just because you drank the diet coke doesn't make you meal Okay....
Why is it bad to eat an entire bowl of salsa? Especially if it's fresh and homemade.
calories are calories right?
i make this same snide comment all of the time... but devil's advocate = saving calories is saving calories, and besides, maybe they like the taste.

I love being in the seafood diet and still maintain under 10% bf.
How old are you?
26 but my dad still has a fast metabolism at 60 something.
I could eat mountains of anything at 26 and not gain a pound. That changed for me around 30-31
:yes: Ditto.

I know a good bit of it is genetic. I can still probably eat more crap than most and not be huge, but if I have a few days of bad eating, my pants are tighter the next day. Time catches up to everyone's metabolism...

I know a good bit of it is genetic. I can still probably eat more crap than most and not be huge, but if I have a few days of bad eating, my pants are tighter the next day. Time catches up to everyone's metabolism...
:goodposting:

I used to eat whatever I wanted and was rail thin. Like 5'10" 150 pounds in my mid-20s. Over the past 20+ years I have gained about 40 pounds. I am still not fat, as I have a lot more muscle mass, but I definitely can't just eat whatever I want like I used to.

Recently I decided to get back down to a better weight and I started working out hard and focusing more on my diet. For me the biggest thing was elmiminating soft drinks. I used to drink a shameful amount of Dr Pepper and energy drinks. The volume of empty calories I took in was staggering. Since I have quit that and just become more conscious of not eating so many sweets in general, I am losing 2-2.5 pounds a week.

The Simply Tostitos chips are pretty good. They only have 3 ingredients - corn, sunflower oil and salt. They come in blue and yellow corn.

The Simply Tostitos chips are pretty good. They only have 3 ingredients - corn, sunflower oil and salt. They come in blue and yellow corn.
They dress up these in a nice bag and use adjectives like natural but not the most healthy. Sodium count not bad but not much fiber either. Sunflower oil not great

Sunflower SeedInsanely high in PUFAs with little to no Omega-3s to balance them out, sunflower seed oil is a pretty bad choice for sauteeing, baking, roasting, and even salad making. Trouble is it’s everywhere, and it has a reputation for being healthy. Just don’t keep the stuff in your house (not a problem; it’s flavorless, odorless, and completely boring), and keep dining out in cheap chain restaurants to a minimum (or you could do what I do and request everything be cooked in butter), and you should be able to avoid sunflower seed oil.

19% MUFA

63% PUFA

10% SFA

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/#ixzz3TRkV1fql

sbonomo said:
KCitons said:
sbonomo said:
Why do you give a chit if you are going to eat an entire bowl of salsa? It is like the idiot at mc Donalds that eats two double quater pounders with a diet coke....just because you drank the diet coke doesn't make you meal Okay....
Why is it bad to eat an entire bowl of salsa? Especially if it's fresh and homemade.
calories are calories right?
How many calories in a tomato, an onion and a lime? Sure, go easy on the olive oil, but heavy on the chili to burn it off.

So a bowl of salsa, 120 Kcal?

Probably better off eating it with a spoon than with any chips, though

:goodposting:

I used to eat whatever I wanted and was rail thin. Like 5'10" 150 pounds in my mid-20s. Over the past 20+ years I have gained about 40 pounds. I am still not fat, as I have a lot more muscle mass, but I definitely can't just eat whatever I want like I used to.

Recently I decided to get back down to a better weight and I started working out hard and focusing more on my diet. For me the biggest thing was elmiminating soft drinks. I used to drink a shameful amount of Dr Pepper and energy drinks. The volume of empty calories I took in was staggering. Since I have quit that and just become more conscious of not eating so many sweets in general, I am losing 2-2.5 pounds a week.
Ha. I'm nearly the same numbers as you, but maybe a bit younger. I was 5'10" 150's in my early 20's...lifted a lot of weights and got up to a very fit 165 or so. Now I'm in my mid/late 30's and I've bumped up to ~185-190. Like you, nobody looks at me and thinks I look fat...I'm not an ectomorph either, just an athletic build (years of soccer adds a decent bit of muscle weight to your legs, which makes you look skinnier than your number as you're more distributed than some.)

I got the stomach flu last week and lost 6 pounds in 2 days :X ...otherwise, I'm pretty steady. I'll lose a few as summer hits and I get more active in the yard. I don't do soda at all, and mimimal sweets. I even minimally drink now that the baby is here...My issue is I eat a ton of red meat and love chips. I can only cut back on that so much.

chiming in late here and don't have a link but I thought I saw something recently on one of the food channels about a "black bean chip".....think it showed a picture that looked a lot like one of the first pics in this thread....thought the show said something along the lines of "if your going to eat a chip, this is the one".....

Last edited by a moderator:
shadyridr said:
sbonomo said:
you shouldve been ridiculed more for this. Salsa has 15 calories per serving.
I should have clarified that if you are eating an entire bowl of salsa, then chances are you ate 1/2 to a full bag of chips. I know that i love the Chipotle chips and salsa. problem is that it has the same amount of calories as the burrito i eat. Further, moderation is the key. What do i care about you fatties....i eat whatever i want.

How many calories in a tomato, an onion and a lime?
If you turn three whole medium-sized tomatoes, half an onion, and juice of one lime into salsa (a good bit of salsa) it's ~100 calories. Salsa is one of the lowest calorie things you can eat that actually has flavor.

I should have clarified that if you are eating an entire bowl of salsa, then chances are you ate 1/2 to a full bag of chips. I know that i love the Chipotle chips and salsa. problem is that it has the same amount of calories as the burrito i eat. Further, moderation is the key. What do i care about you fatties....i eat whatever i want.
Truth in bolded here.

Also confirmed sbonomo is no fatty. :lol:

shadyridr said:
sbonomo said:
:lmao:

Nice try.

shadyridr said:
sbonomo said:
I should have clarified that if you are eating an entire bowl of salsa, then chances are you ate 1/2 to a full bag of chips.
That's not what you meant.

Why do you give a chit if you are going to eat an entire bowl of salsa? It is like the idiot at mc Donalds that eats two double quater pounders with a diet coke....just because you drank the diet coke doesn't make you meal Okay...

shadyridr said:
sbonomo said:
I should have clarified that if you are eating an entire bowl of salsa, then chances are you ate 1/2 to a full bag of chips.
That's not what you meant.

Why do you give a chit if you are going to eat an entire bowl of salsa? It is like the idiot at mc Donalds that eats two double quater pounders with a diet coke....just because you drank the diet coke doesn't make you meal Okay...
The salsa represents the "diet coke" where the bag of chips represents the "two double quarter pounders".

shadyridr said:
sbonomo said:
Right, but if you eat said salsa on little triangle pieces of cardboard, it would eliminate the bag of chips. Which is what the OP was asking about.

Skinny people, what do they know about food? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread