What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite Power Hitters of Yore Thread (1 Viewer)

Saw Jim Thome hit a HR later in his career that just left the crowd in awe. It was one of those things where you couldn't even be mad, it was that impressive.

600 HR/.400 OBP is damn impressive, even if you're slow and can't field.

Rob Deer

Fun Rob Deer stats:

He once hit 32 homers in a season and only had 64 RBIs.

He batted .179 with 25 HRs in 1991.

His career slugging percentage of .442 is more isolated power (.222) than batting average (.220).

In his 1996 comeback attempt, he had 14 walks and 30 strikeouts in 64 PAs.

I always liked Ben Oglivie. He was a lean guy but was able to power the ball with tremendous wrist strength. He got lost in the Boston and Detroit systems before being traded to the Brewers for his age 30 seasons. He hit 34 and 41 HRs in his only seasons with more than 600 PAs.

His batting stance was straight upright and he waved the bat around quite a bit before his swing.

I was at Fenway in 1988 for this Bo Jackson blast. Unfortunately, you can't really see how far up the back center field wall it hits.

The game ended on a Kevin Romine HR into the screen in extra innings. He was a little less regarded for his power.

Ron Kittle
Strangely, he was one of the first guys I thought of when I saw this thread. One of my first Sox games, he was walking around in the stadium in his ridiculous glasses and I remember thinking he was the biggest person I'd ever seen.

Other favorites: Ivan Calderone, Gary Matthews, Leon Durham, Jody Davis

Joey Meyers was up and down in the Brewers org - I saw him play for Zephyrs and the guy could crush it - here is story on a mammoth shot he had in old Mile High

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20141202&content_id=102493172&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb
I still remember the old Baseball America cover with Meyer, Glenn Braggs and Billy Jo Robidoux on it. The Brewers had their AA affiliate in El Paso so their hitting prospects had hugely inflated numbers. Park factors weren't accepted as the conventional wisdom in those days so fans were disappointed when they were exposed at higher levels. The Brewers even had a few years with El Paso and Denver as their top two minor league clubs.

Braggs was the only one who managed any kind of MLB career. He sure looked like a ballplayer but his muscles didn't quite translate. He won a ring with the 1990 Reds and had a couple of great years in Japan.

Cecil Fielder was entertaining.

I did not realize Kingman played for 4 different teams in 1977 and had several home runs for each of them. I can't imagine that has ever been done. Kingman loved hitting homeruns in Wrigley, which is why the Cubs picked him up.

jon_mx said:
Cecil Fielder was entertaining.

I did not realize Kingman played for 4 different teams in 1977 and had several home runs for each of them. I can't imagine that has ever been done. Kingman loved hitting homeruns in Wrigley, which is why the Cubs picked him up.
Yes, Kingman played for four teams in 1977- one from each division. The only other guy to play for four Major League teams in one season is Jose Bautista.

Joey Meyers was up and down in the Brewers org - I saw him play for Zephyrs and the guy could crush it - here is story on a mammoth shot he had in old Mile High

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20141202&content_id=102493172&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_milb&sid=milb
I still remember the old Baseball America cover with Meyer, Glenn Braggs and Billy Jo Robidoux on it. The Brewers had their AA affiliate in El Paso so their hitting prospects had hugely inflated numbers. Park factors weren't accepted as the conventional wisdom in those days so fans were disappointed when they were exposed at higher levels. The Brewers even had a few years with El Paso and Denver as their top two minor league clubs.

Braggs was the only one who managed any kind of MLB career. He sure looked like a ballplayer but his muscles didn't quite translate. He won a ring with the 1990 Reds and had a couple of great years in Japan.
Joey was a strikeout machine in Denver - those teams actually were successful in AAA they were in finals and champs a few times in the 80's 90's. When I first moved there in the late 70's it was the Expos affiliate and they fun to watch as well.

Rob Deer

Fun Rob Deer stats:

He once hit 32 homers in a season and only had 64 RBIs.

He batted .179 with 25 HRs in 1991.

His career slugging percentage of .442 is more isolated power (.222) than batting average (.220).

In his 1996 comeback attempt, he had 14 walks and 30 strikeouts in 64 PAs.
Gawd, I remember Deer's cards from my Strat-O-Matic playing days in the late '80s like it was yesterday. There might - might - have been a "Single" or "Walk" or two sprinkled in, but pretty much every spot on his batter's card from 4-10 was either "strikeout" or "HOMERUN". :thumbup:

The Tigers of the early 90s were the best.
Semi-related: my first fantasy baseball auction was in 1990. It was towards the end, and everyone is filling out their roster with $1 scrubs. My buddy says "Cecil Fielder, Tigers, $1." Nobody even blinked and it was done. Fielder spent four unremarkable seasons in Toronto before playing in Japan in 1989, so he wasn't really on anyone's radar. Yep, 51 HRs and 132 RBI later.... my God, what highway robbery. He won the league going away.

The Tigers of the early 90s were the best.
Semi-related: my first fantasy baseball auction was in 1990. It was towards the end, and everyone is filling out their roster with $1 scrubs. My buddy says "Cecil Fielder, Tigers, $1." Nobody even blinked and it was done. Fielder spent four unremarkable seasons in Toronto before playing in Japan in 1989, so he wasn't really on anyone's radar. Yep, 51 HRs and 132 RBI later.... my God, what highway robbery. He won the league going away.
Trout was like that in our league a few years ago. I think I'd already logged off and gone about my way when someone picked him up for $1 uncontested. That team was an oasis of decency in an otherwise-putrid string of ####-puddles.

Users who are viewing this thread