What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would be your ideal draft format? (1 Viewer)

Hawkeye21

Footballguy
As the title states, what's your ideal format for a draft? Is it a 10, 12 or 14 team league? Snake, auction or combination of both? Online, in person or slow type? What about roster spots and starting positions? Head to head scoring or best overall in points?

Just curious what everyone thinks would make for the best league.

I've grown to hate 14 and 16 team leagues, especially.

It's fantasy.... It;s supposed to be for fun

Loses its fun when you're waiting 32 picks between turns, and your roster looks like crap when you're done.

No fun in thinking "half these guys are lotto picks"

I want everyone's roster to be booming and looking deadly. where every week is a war. 10/12 only for me

Last edited by a moderator:
I love slow auctions with 12 or 18 hour clock and "eBay style" bidding where you can put in an unseen max bid.

Prefer 12 team with 1/2/3/1 and 2 flex. I like PPR with TE premium (1.5 PPR) to even up the positional values a bit.

I could go either way on QB super flex. It's a little ridiculous how devalued the QB position has become in fantasy due to the depth at the position in 12 team leagues. But on the other hand, depending upon the scoring if you do it, sometimes it makes the 2 QBs almost a little too important.

For me it would be a 12 team league doing an in person auction. I prefer QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, Def and K with 6 bench spots. PPR with the rest of the scoring pretty standard.

12 team...snake...head to head...QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/2 Flex/Def/PK

In person

other 11 owners MUST be Hooters waitresses so they can help serve the wings during the draft.

For me it would be a 12 team league doing an in person auction. I prefer QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, Def and K with 6 bench spots. PPR with the rest of the scoring pretty standard.
This but with 2 Flex positions.

There is ZERO chance a snake draft is more fun than an auction. What better than everyone having a chance at every player?!

Loses its fun when you're waiting 32 picks between turns, and your roster looks like crap when you're done.

I want everyone's roster to be booming and looking deadly. where every week is a war. 10/12 only for me
It's funny ... when I (and my fantasy playing counterparts) were in our 20s, every single league I ran was a 14-teamer. I wouldn't really even consider anything else. It made scheduling a breeze (a 13-week regular season ... you don't have to worry about divisions or any of that junk ... everyone plays everyone else once ... done), and it's big enough that even with 6 playoff spots making the postseason still felt like an accomplishment.

Now that my buddies and I are all married with kids? Give me a 10-teamer any day. "Ease of scheduling" nowadays means finding a 3- or 4-hour window sometime in August that actually works for everyone to draft ... 10 guys is a lot easier to coordinate than 14-16 ... and with everything else going on in people's lives, I'd just generally rather have 9 other decently involved owners than 13 guys including a half-dozen who don't really care and/or mentally check out after starting 1-5. Besides, whatever "skill edge" a larger league grants to more involved owners can be partially offset simply by making the starting lineups and rosters larger. A 10-teamer with 2 QB / 2 RB / 4 WR / 1 TE / 2 FLX / 1 D / 1 K goes just as deep at the skill positions as a standard 1/2/3/1/1/1 16-teamer.

This really got me thinking and I've never tried this format, but would be very intrigued by it:

12 Teams

Dynasty Startup

PPR

QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX/TE Starters

Slow Auction style with blind bidding

Anyone know if this can be setup through MFL? If so, I might just try it.

I have to go on the other side for larger leagues. I find it interesting to be scrounging for names in the mid-late rounds of a 16-team league draft.

Lineup of 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 FLEX (RB/WR and WR/TE), 1 K, 1 D with a graduated PPR scoring format.

This really got me thinking and I've never tried this format, but would be very intrigued by it:

12 Teams

Dynasty Startup

PPR

I'm assuming MFL can do it. They seem to be able to handle about any kind of league. I wouldn't be surprised if some leagues already exist. Have you looked on any league finders?

There is ZERO chance a snake draft is more fun than an auction. What better than everyone having a chance at every player?!
You're right. Getting a group of friends together to do an auction draft is so much fun and can't be beat. Our league actually has two full 12 team drafts. I always enjoy watching the other draft to see how theirs goes and compare. The host also has a pool so that' always fun. It's an all day party.

You're right. Getting a group of friends together to do an auction draft is so much fun and can't be beat. Our league actually has two full 12 team drafts. I always enjoy watching the other draft to see how theirs goes and compare. The host also has a pool so that' always fun. It's an all day party.
I act as auctioneer for a high-stakes private league in Vegas every year. The guys get a suite and it's fun for everyone. I even enjoy it as the auctioneer.

Hawkeye21 said:
All_Day27 said:

12 Teams

Dynasty Startup

PPR

I'm assuming MFL can do it. They seem to be able to handle about any kind of league. I wouldn't be surprised if some leagues already exist. Have you looked on any league finders?
I've played around with MFL's settings and haven't found anything that allows for silent auction bids. I assume the only way it can be done fairly and without having to blindly trust the commissioner is to have a 3rd party become the auctioneer. Is there any other way to possibly do this? Perhaps by using the blind bidding waiver system as a way to draft?

Would love to hear about how others have done this in the past.

Hawkeye21 said:
All_Day27 said:

12 Teams

Dynasty Startup

PPR

I've played around with MFL's settings and haven't found anything that allows for silent auction bids. I assume the only way it can be done fairly and without having to blindly trust the commissioner is to have a 3rd party become the auctioneer. Is there any other way to possibly do this? Perhaps by using the blind bidding waiver system as a way to draft?

Would love to hear about how others have done this in the past.
It does allow it on MFL. All of the Addicts Auction leagues are done this way. 24 hour timer that does not start over until the reserve is beat. The bids are anonimous. It is great. My favorite leagues are 12 team auctions, ppr with 20 players per team. The online slow auction is fun but in person is better. Auction is much better than draft. I have gone only to auction since I have found that format.

Prefer auctions to drafts. Prefer slow drafts to fast or live, particularly in a dyno startup -- plenty of time for trading.

Superflex, No K, no DEF

Snake normally unless Salary Cap and then auction of course!

Lots drawn and then choose your draft slot. Choosing of rookie slot inverse of choosing auction slot or vice versa.

Lineup flexibility is something I like.

1.5 PPR for TE.

Slow draft.

As someone who feels more knowledgeable than my competition in most leagues, I prefer bigger leagues (14-16). So my ideal league is:

14 Team, PPR, TE Premium, non-idp

Live draft

Champion determined by total points (non H2H) through all 17 weeks of the regular season

AND - I just thought of this! - Genius!!!!

Bonus playoff element: all teams advance to the playoffs, the real NFL playoffs. Every owner competes in the playoffs and it's an all out total points battle throughout the NFL playoffs. If your players are on playoff teams your team has a chance to win the playoffs of your league. If I were commish, I would make this an additive to the league by charging an separate fee on top of the regular season league fee to anyone who elects to compete for the playoff winner. That way if some members don't want to participate, they won't by not paying the extra H2H fee. It will again be total points but all points reset to zero beginning with WC weekend.

12 Team

PPR

Dynasty

30ish man roster

No DST (IDP or nothing for me personally)

No Kicker

No cap/contracts

Auction Start Up

4 Round Rookie Draft

Non-Tradable FA budget

QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,TE,Flex

Because of the way the NFL has gone with the RB position i much prefer start 1 RB PPR leagues for dynasty these days.

Dynasty

12 team

PPR

22 man rosters

18 keepers

QB RB WR WR TE 3 Flex spots

Slow draft

I'm the exact opposite. I find it more fun when we have to go deeper for starters and depth.

Don't know if I'll ever play in another 10 or 12 team league unless it's for work or family.

Auction is my preferred. QRWWTFF, usually idp but that's not necessary.

Waiting between picks can take the fun out, even worse is that drafts tend to lock you into certain players, or out of certain players, by random chance.

As someone who feels more knowledgeable than my competition in most leagues, I prefer bigger leagues (14-16). So my ideal league is:

14 Team, PPR, TE Premium, non-idp

Live draft

Champion determined by total points (non H2H) through all 17 weeks of the regular season

AND - I just thought of this! - Genius!!!!

Bonus playoff element: all teams advance to the playoffs, the real NFL playoffs. Every owner competes in the playoffs and it's an all out total points battle throughout the NFL playoffs. If your players are on playoff teams your team has a chance to win the playoffs of your league. If I were commish, I would make this an additive to the league by charging an separate fee on top of the regular season league fee to anyone who elects to compete for the playoff winner. That way if some members don't want to participate, they won't by not paying the extra H2H fee. It will again be total points but all points reset to zero beginning with WC weekend.
We did a league where the ff playoffs were the nfl playoffs. Good league, good owners, but I grew to not like the fact that great players on bad teams lost value.

1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE. PPR .25 RB, .5 WR, 1.0 TE. 12 teams. Auction.

3 divisions of 4 teams. 12 week regular season where each week you play 1 team from your division and 2 teams outside your division (play out of division teams a total of 3 times a season and in division 4 times each).

6 teams in playoff with top two getting byes and finishing week 15 before NFL teams start sitting players.

Prefer to have salaries and contracts but went with redraft for my post.

1 QB, 2 RB, 1 flex QB/RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 1 flex WR/TE. PPR .25 RB, .5 WR, 1.0 TE. 12 teams. Auction.

3 divisions of 4 teams. 12 week regular season where each week you play 1 team from your division and 2 teams outside your division (play out of division teams a total of 3 times a season and in division 4 times each).

6 teams in playoff with top two getting byes and finishing week 15 before NFL teams start sitting players.

Why split the flexes?

Why split the flexes?
QB/RB flex is almost always going to be a QB unless you are dealing with injury or byes, and avoids the too few QBs for byes in 12 team league issue. So it helps QB value but doesn't increase RB much at all. WR/TE flex helps both of those positions but doesn't help RB at all.

If it was pure flex then RB would get a boost out of it, and they really don't need it. This system was crafted to bring some parity at the top of the positions so no postion completely trumps others year after year, while still having enough variation further down that you have to use your head to maximize your team.

For QB, may want to go with a lower scoring system than normal though. I came up with this before the uptick in the NFL passing game and they are pulling a bit ahead. I also originally had another dedicated WR but dropped it in the version posted here. My two leagues I run both use this, with the extra WR. May gauge interest in cutting them back in the future.

ETA: also had a goal of increasing how many NFL players we use, overall.

For those of you picking snake drafts as your preferred type, is it because that's actually what you prefer or because it's more convenient for you?

2 QB or Superflex redraft in person draft. Letting someone else run the league/draft/deal with last minute cancellations.

Users who are viewing this thread