What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to rank IDP with Offensive players (1 Viewer)

3quinox

Footballguy
Is there a site that puts IDP players with offensive players in dynasty rankings? I'm new to idp so when some deals involve a DE or LB i get confused. How do you normally judge the value of defensive players in regards to a qb. rb. etc?

3quinox said:
Is there a site that puts IDP players with offensive players in dynasty rankings? I'm new to idp so when some deals involve a DE or LB i get confused. How do you normally judge the value of defensive players in regards to a qb. rb. etc?
The thing is that it depends so much on scoring and league settings so there is no good universal answer to this.

3quinox said:
Points depend on the scoring criteria in each IDP league.. but for a quick evaluation just look at the overall total points that the players scored last year. See if there has been a change in the head coach or defensive scheme during the off season, the depth chart and if the team drafted any players at that position as that can change the IDP's value as well.

Linebacker's are usually the most valuable of all IDP's. after that player value is even more league and scoring criteria specific...

Last edited by a moderator:
In balanced scoring with appx 10 defensive starters you'll see Watt go in the 1st or early/mid 2nd round (sometimes as early as 1.01), Kuechly/David will go in the 3rd, Mosley in the 4th, a couple more top DEs (Quinn, JPP) and LBs (Wagner+) will go in the 5th/6th, most teams will have drafted their top two DEs and top two LBs by round 13 or so....but it really depends on scoring and starting positions.

Are you starting DTs and CBs or simply DL and DB? Will you be looking to start 4 LBs every week or 3? Are you starting 2 or 3 DEs? How much is the scoring bonus at DL compared to LB, and DB versus LB? Are there a lot of mandatory starting positions or are there several flexes? All of these nuances change the value between the different IDP positions and the value of IDPs compared to offensive players.

Owners build their IDP in different ways. I prefer to go DE/DL early since I find the drop-off to be steeper at DL than LB, and DL production is less opportunity-based than what it is at LB so I find it easier to find LB production off waivers, but other owners prefer to secure those 2-3 three down LBs to be the main engine of their weekly scoring.

Look at scoring but focus on how steep the drop-off is after the top 3, top 12 and top 36 at the position. 200 pts is generally worth more at DL than LB, particularly if you're starting as many DLs as you are LBs.

Avoid trades. Everyone in the league knows you're new. Maybe just to the league but they will offer you bad trades anyways just to see if you have any idea about IDP. Just don't trade IDP players until you're at least on you second rookie draft.

As for actually determining their value, it's so league specific that it's difficult to give any direct advice.

Scoring system and starter requirements are the two most important things to know. Without those nobody can really help. This includes rankings.

Then if you have contracts, forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread