What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Berry's Back, but what can we expect? (1 Viewer)

tomfoxc

Footballguy
I'm in a league where '13 Berry put up 240 points (DB1's clear 200 and then it drops off pretty quickly to the 160-180 range). I have Tyvon Branch and made a quick move to claim Berry as an insurance policy. What are reasonable expectations for how things play out in KC?

Good question, wonder if he'll be every down player when he gets back in football shape.

I have Tyvon on my team. I see this as being bad for both players. From what I've read and heard, Berry may not be strong enough to play this season. Depending on how they use him, Branch could be strong the first half of the year, Berry the second.

Needless to say, I will be watching the waiver wire to find a replacement by week 5.

You have to figure that the fight against the cancer took a lot out of him- not that he can't get it back but it will take some time. KCitons may be on track there with Branch being strong the first half of the season and Berry coming on late. Tyvon has talent, his biggest problem the last few seasons with the Raiders has been keeping healthy. This seems to play into the idea of early Tyvon and late Berry. Berry may not be 100% until next season though.

The list of hockey players superior to Mario Lemieux is insanely short. This is a guy who tore up the league and made it look easy. In early 1993, though, he told the public he had Hodgkin’s lymphoma, just like Berry, and it pulled him out of the lineup for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Hockey players are known for being as tough as nails, but what Lemieux did next is crazy even for them. He missed an entire two months of the hockey season, but flew out to Philadelphia on the very day he was given his final radiation treatment, suited up, and went out to notch a goal and an assist. He then scored 2.67 points per game the rest of the way and won the NHL’s scoring title, even with that two-month gap in his season.

There’s just no way to get around it: That’s probably the greatest comeback story ever told. If he’d come back and played decent hockey, it would have been amazing. To destroy the league and win the scoring title, starting the day he finished treatment, is on a level no one else will ever reach.

Eric Berry is not Mario Lemieux. He’s a great safety, but he’s not the best in the league, much less one of the best of all time. He should by no means be expected to replicate Super Mario’s inhuman feat.

Still, Lemieux proves that not only is cancer not career-ending in professional sports, but that players can come back to be better than ever. Each case is different, but it should in no way be assumed that Berry’s career is over and that he has no chance to rejoin the Chiefs’ secondary.
moar: http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-today/afc-west/kansas-city-chiefs/mario-lemieux-shows-you-cant-count-out-eric-berry-yet/

I wouldn't expect a whole lot. He seems to be in good shape, but the Chiefs are absolutely stacked at safety - no reason to push him into the fold early.

Users who are viewing this thread