What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ron Dayne article (1 Viewer)

Slash

Footballguy
LINK

Dayne carries on after tough start to life

By Thomas George

Denver Post Staff Columnist

He was told it happened two or three years before he was born in 1978, a wretched fire in his grandparents' Lynchburg, Va., home that killed both, plus an aunt and an uncle.

In later years, Ron Dayne, his sister Onya and their cousins would see pictures and hear stories about those relatives and were amazed at the similarities in appearances and beyond. Onya had long hair like the aunt. A cousin sang like their grandmother. Another cousin had bowed legs like the uncle. And Dayne looked so much like his grandfather. A boxer.

Fitting for Dayne, who felt on the ropes while watching the physical abuse between his parents before they divorced when he was 10. Who endured his mother's eventual drug addiction. He has been on the ropes for nearly all five of his NFL seasons.

He is a Bronco now after five fairly unfulfilled, invisible seasons with the Giants.

Even he does not have an answer for THE question: How does a Heisman Trophy-winning running back become nearly nonexistent in the glitter and fuss of New York City?

"Well, I didn't do a lot wrong," Dayne said. "I wasn't late to meetings. I wasn't fined. I knew the plays. I stayed and worked after practice. I just didn't get much of a shot. I had a game once where I rushed for 100 yards and the next game I got two carries."

After winning the 1999 Heisman Trophy at Wisconsin and rushing for a major college-record 6,397 yards, Dayne was known as "Thunder" and Tiki Barber as "Lightning" when in Dayne's rookie season the Giants reached the Super Bowl. Each year following, his carries and yards decreased as Barber ascended to Pro Bowl status.

Dayne was the only Giant to skip offseason workouts before the 2003 season. He said he did so because he had gained weight in the previous ones and overall found them non-productive. He acknowledges the mistake. Then Giants coach Jim Fassel was unforgiving; Dayne would not suit up for a single game the entire 2003 season.

How can the 11th pick of any draft, healthy, not suit up for a season only four years into his career?

He was criticized for not being productive in short yardage. With Barber flourishing, that was supposed to be his role. But Dayne did not buy it, just like he did not believe it was right when he was ruled ineligible to play football at age 11 because he weighed 175 pounds and the limit was 130. Just like when he joined the freshman team in high school, weighed 230 pounds (bigger than his linemen) but was still the fastest man on the team. He would rush for 20-plus touchdowns and average 15.9 yards per carry.

Just like before his senior prep season in 1996 when he was forced to take a test for steroids that proved negative because few officials believed he could carry 273 pounds without them.

Just like when he went to Wisconsin still weighing 273 pounds, was told he had to prove he could play running back at that size and on the first day of practice ran a 4.5-second 40-yard sprint en route to college grandeur.

Dayne is a tailback, pure and simple, and his history says that the more he gets work, on the edges as much as inside, the more he succeeds.

His story with the Giants sounds so odd that it is fishy. Until you talk to the Giants.

"I feel bad about his time here because he did not have the best chance to succeed," said Ernie Accorsi, the Giants' general manager. "He was never a problem here. A great young man. A team guy. We really never gave him justice. It bothers me when Giants fans say he was a bust, because he wasn't. It's a great pickup by Denver. I think he will do well."

If he gets steady work.

This is not a spot player. He needs consecutive carries, a few series a game, at least. He is a back who early wears teams down and in the third and fourth quarters wears them out.

He weighs 245 pounds now, stands 5-feet-10 - a big frame that works best in zone blocking, which Wisconsin featured and Denver employs. The Broncos recently have added several maligned players looking for second chances.

Dayne, 27, could step up front.

Off the ropes.

"I feel like I haven't played football in four or five years," Dayne said. "I feel fresh. I think I'm going to get the chance to compete."

Staff writer Thomas Georgecan be reached at 303-820-1994 or tgeorge@denverpost.com.

Thanks for the linkAs a Giants fan I never liked the Dayne pick but I never thought that he was used properly with the Giants.He did have a good rookie season, maybe he will do well with a fresh start

If any system can make Dayne a productive RB it's Denver's.Tatum Bell wasn't exactly an iron man his rookie season, and Griffin would get hurt in a game of checkers.True, Dayne has sucked...but so did Droughns before he played in Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all you Dayne haters you may have to hand cuff Bell with Dayne. I know this may hurt but he could and would produce if given the chance in Den.

No matter how you slice it, he still couldn't get 1 yard on third and short situations.
:yes: I'm not ready to entirely write him off, but you can't blame most for being skeptical.

As for the person that brought up Droughns, that's not a bad comparison, but Dayne did have his chance (a few times) to take that job in NY, but failed. Droughns never really had a shot until Griffin got hurt.

As mentioned in other threads, yes Dayne may be the handcuff for Bell - that is, IF he even makes the team following training camp.

I argued in another Dayne thread that if Droughns can run for 1200 yards, then there's no reason Dayne shouldn't be able to. At this point (pre-draft) Dayne looks to be the #2 back in Denver and any back Denver brings in has a shot at putting up 1000 yards if given the chance. We've seen it over and over and if you draft Bell it only makes sense to use a late pick on Dayne. At worst it's a wasted pick, but there aren't too many 15th round picks with a shot and being a solid starter.

So Dayne "didn't get a chance to succeed" with the Giants, and his response is to go sign with the team with the most options at HB this side of Minnesota? :confused:

So Dayne "didn't get a chance to succeed" with the Giants, and his response is to go sign with the team with the most options at HB this side of Minnesota? :confused:
Huh? Droughns is gone, Griffin is too small/coming off of ACL tear, Bell is unproven and injury prone and Mike Anderson is old and probably a FB.

Saturday afternoon listenning to the radio they were saying Mike Anderson wants to play RB. The topic they were debating was what college RB would Shanny draft late and he'd surprise and be a stud. Anderson was just mentioned matter of fact like. BTW They settled on Jacque Lewis?? from UNC was 3rd best RB out of highschool, good speed, small uses body well like Faulk, Westbrook, and Dunn. Then after all that they said he'd be a good 3rd down back soooo it was kinda like backpedalling. Anyhow, I'd like to know more about Anderson.Dayne's weight is too high for him to be in good shape IMO. 275? No way. It's only April but he better lose weight before I'm gonna even consider him.

Huh? Droughns is gone, Griffin is too small/coming off of ACL tear, Bell is unproven and injury prone and Mike Anderson is old and probably a FB.
Yeah I agree. Denver offers the best combination of a productive (at least) offense and no definite stud at the RB situation (yet). There are some other teams he could've tried going to with no clear cut starter, but their team situation isn't exactly appealing.

Dayne's weight is too high for him to be in good shape IMO. 275? No way. It's only April but he better lose weight before I'm gonna even consider him.
That weight is what he showed up at Wisconsin as a freshman weighing. Dayne is probably around 245 lbs. right now, at least that is what he was at last year around this time.

Dayne = Wheatley...Bank on it. Another "fat" back who Accorsi did not think fit the Giants' system. Maybe not, but that does not mean they are worthless. What is Wheatley was released when he was 23 or 24?? I am not saying he would set the world on fire, but there is a system out there to fit every decent RB. Look at Holmes; Brian Billick thought so much about him that he let him go and previously drafted Lewis to do the job. What kind of numbers would Martin put up in Vermeil's system (another thread for another time)??If Dayne gets a chance in Denver, you would have to be a fool to expect less than 1000 yards rushing and 8TDs amortized over a full season. Those are Wheatly's numbers his first couple of years in Oakland. Why can't Dayne do that? He is younger (when he left the Giants) and is going to a better rushing offense. Look at what his Draft classmate, Thomas jones, did when he finally got a chance in a respectable offense. I admit, a little different case, but he got to be THE MAN. Fear the Fat Man...

Great opportunity for Dayne. I thought he looked very good in preseason last year. Denver's zone blocking should be a perfect fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the man in Denver this year.

Great opportunity for Dayne. I thought he looked very good in preseason last year. Denver's zone blocking should be a perfect fit. I wouldn't be surprised to see him be the man in Denver this year.
You might not surprised but many others would including me. If he makes the team (and that's not a certainty) he must get by :Bell-only if he's injured

Griffin-only if he's injured

Anderson-only if he's injured

rookie TBA-only if he's injured

That's the only way Dayne will be the starter. Will he get some carries? Sure, if he makes the team. But I wouldn't draft him unless you have deep rosters. He's fool's gold my friend.

If any system can make Dayne a productive RB it's Denver's.

Tatum Bell wasn't exactly an iron man his rookie season, and Griffin would get hurt in a game of checkers.

True, Dayne has sucked...but so did Droughns before he played in Denver.
When did Droughns get a chance before last year? I thought he was a FB that basically never carried the ball.As for Dayne? He had his chance and couldn't make it work. Now many have said he wasn't used right. That may be but if you're given a job to do and over & over you fail then there's a problem. It's not the Giants fault that Dayne didn't have at least some success. He just couldn't get it done.

In another thread I read that part of the reason Dayne was successful in college is because he had a massive O line to run behind that allowed to go untouched until he got to the secondary. Anyone can have success with holes like that and your lineman are blocking down on LB's. You just don't get that in the NFL.

Tatum Bell wasn't exactly an iron man his rookie season, and Griffin would get hurt in a game of checkers.

When did Droughns get a chance before last year? I thought he was a FB that basically never carried the ball.As for Dayne? He had his chance and couldn't make it work. Now many have said he wasn't used right. That may be but if you're given a job to do and over & over you fail then there's a problem. It's not the Giants fault that Dayne didn't have at least some success. He just couldn't get it done.

In another thread I read that part of the reason Dayne was successful in college is because he had a massive O line to run behind that allowed to go untouched until he got to the secondary. Anyone can have success with holes like that and your lineman are blocking down on LB's. You just don't get that in the NFL.
You do in Denver.

You do in Denver.
Not quite like he did in college. Another issue with Dayne is that he doesn't block very well Shanny requires his RB's to be good on blitz pick ups. That alone will keep Dayne off the field.

Having watched most Giant games while Dayne was in NY, I had to wonder how in the world he was so productive in college. Unless there was a gaping running lane, he'd just move to the line of scrimmage and... stop. It was almost as if he dint like contact. He seemed to think of himself as OJ, not a power back like a Bettis. He just didnt take on tacklers and fight for yards. Even at the goal line, when the play call was between the tackles, he'd stop and look to go outside. Zone blocking or not, I don't think he does much better, even behind that Denver O line. A 250 pound back that wants to tip-toe through the tulips.

LINK

Dayne carries on after tough start to life

By Thomas George

Denver Post Staff Columnist

He was told it happened two or three years before he was born in 1978, a wretched fire in his grandparents' Lynchburg, Va., home that killed both, plus an aunt and an uncle.

In later years, Ron Dayne, his sister Onya and their cousins would see pictures and hear stories about those relatives and were amazed at the similarities in appearances and beyond. Onya had long hair like the aunt. A cousin sang like their grandmother. Another cousin had bowed legs like the uncle. And Dayne looked so much like his grandfather. A boxer.

Fitting for Dayne, who felt on the ropes while watching the physical abuse between his parents before they divorced when he was 10. Who endured his mother's eventual drug addiction. He has been on the ropes for nearly all five of his NFL seasons.

He is a Bronco now after five fairly unfulfilled, invisible seasons with the Giants.

Even he does not have an answer for THE question: How does a Heisman Trophy-winning running back become nearly nonexistent in the glitter and fuss of New York City?

"Well, I didn't do a lot wrong," Dayne said. "I wasn't late to meetings. I wasn't fined. I knew the plays. I stayed and worked after practice. I just didn't get much of a shot. I had a game once where I rushed for 100 yards and the next game I got two carries."

After winning the 1999 Heisman Trophy at Wisconsin and rushing for a major college-record 6,397 yards, Dayne was known as "Thunder" and Tiki Barber as "Lightning" when in Dayne's rookie season the Giants reached the Super Bowl. Each year following, his carries and yards decreased as Barber ascended to Pro Bowl status.

Dayne was the only Giant to skip offseason workouts before the 2003 season. He said he did so because he had gained weight in the previous ones and overall found them non-productive. He acknowledges the mistake. Then Giants coach Jim Fassel was unforgiving; Dayne would not suit up for a single game the entire 2003 season.

How can the 11th pick of any draft, healthy, not suit up for a season only four years into his career?

He was criticized for not being productive in short yardage. With Barber flourishing, that was supposed to be his role. But Dayne did not buy it, just like he did not believe it was right when he was ruled ineligible to play football at age 11 because he weighed 175 pounds and the limit was 130. Just like when he joined the freshman team in high school, weighed 230 pounds (bigger than his linemen) but was still the fastest man on the team. He would rush for 20-plus touchdowns and average 15.9 yards per carry.

Just like before his senior prep season in 1996 when he was forced to take a test for steroids that proved negative because few officials believed he could carry 273 pounds without them.

Just like when he went to Wisconsin still weighing 273 pounds, was told he had to prove he could play running back at that size and on the first day of practice ran a 4.5-second 40-yard sprint en route to college grandeur.

Dayne is a tailback, pure and simple, and his history says that the more he gets work, on the edges as much as inside, the more he succeeds.

His story with the Giants sounds so odd that it is fishy. Until you talk to the Giants.

"I feel bad about his time here because he did not have the best chance to succeed," said Ernie Accorsi, the Giants' general manager. "He was never a problem here. A great young man. A team guy. We really never gave him justice. It bothers me when Giants fans say he was a bust, because he wasn't. It's a great pickup by Denver. I think he will do well."

If he gets steady work.

This is not a spot player. He needs consecutive carries, a few series a game, at least. He is a back who early wears teams down and in the third and fourth quarters wears them out.

He weighs 245 pounds now, stands 5-feet-10 - a big frame that works best in zone blocking, which Wisconsin featured and Denver employs. The Broncos recently have added several maligned players looking for second chances.

Dayne, 27, could step up front.

Off the ropes.

"I feel like I haven't played football in four or five years," Dayne said. "I feel fresh. I think I'm going to get the chance to compete."

Staff writer Thomas Georgecan be reached at 303-820-1994 or tgeorge@denverpost.com.
:goodposting:

I love the whole "he needs 30 carries to be effective" thing. Not just with Dayne, but a lot of mediocre backs. If you need 30 carries to become an effective back, you may as well not suit up, because no team can afford a poor performance for the first 15 or 20 carries. Very often the REASON a back doesn't get X carries is because the offense stalls when the guy isn't effective. Kind of hard to get carries when the offense isn't on the field after you get for 4 yards on two carries every series. Here is another tidbit for the "he wasn't used correctly" crowd: when he DID get a heavy workload, he wasn't effective then either! He was more effective in the 1st half then the 2nd over his career and his YPC for carries 16-25 was WORSE than his overal average.Dayne averaged 178 carries in his 1st three seasons. The simple fact is that Dayne got his chances - a LOT of them, based purely on his draft position. And he didn't perform. At all. After all the hype in the 2004 preseason, Dayne averaged 3.4 yards per carry (on 52 carries which is a decent amount) while his team-mate Barber had a 4.7 ypc average behind the same line etc. He is horrible in short yardage situations (with 3 or fewer yards to go, his career YPC is a hair over 2 YPC), he doesn't break long runs, he doesn't catch the ball, he isn't known for his blocking, so what exactly does he bring to the table?

When Dayne gets cut in training camp, we can all regret having wasted valuable time in our lives even discussing him ;)

I'd swear some of you must think you are NFL coaches or something sitting on your couch and slinging your opinion so admamantly around here. It's ridiculous. Some of you sit there and proclaim Ron Dayne a waste, whatever. Obviosuly the Denver Broncos do not think so at this time and think he's a back that fits their system and THAT"S what matters around here.I'm a HUGE Tatum Bell fan and think he will absolutley explode this year. But in the event Bell got hurt, which can happen to any RB, I don't see why Ron Dayne can't put up Reuben Droughns-type numbers.

I'd swear some of you must think you are NFL coaches or something sitting on your couch and slinging your opinion so admamantly around here. It's ridiculous. Some of you sit there and proclaim Ron Dayne a waste, whatever. Obviosuly the Denver Broncos do not think so at this time and think he's a back that fits their system and THAT"S what matters around here.

I'm a HUGE Tatum Bell fan and think he will absolutley explode this year. But in the event Bell got hurt, which can happen to any RB, I don't see why Ron Dayne can't put up Reuben Droughns-type numbers.
I'm no caoch or scout or anything else other than a fan, but I see what I see and the numbers do some talking too.Sure Denver picked him, why not? They signed him to a one year deal. They didn't give up a draft pick, and they can cut him htis year if they want to with essentially no penalty. This DOES NOT indicate that they think he's a great ball-player. It indicates they want to take a look at him. Big deal. He doesn't "fit their system" any more than he fits in any other system. Denver has gotten good results from MANY different kinds of backs, their backs generally tend to have decent cut-back ability, but other than that, there is no "type" of back that they are looking for. Not a lot of similarities between Portis and Anderson.

They just saw a CHEAP opportunity to look at a BACKUP RB and they took it. That's really all there is to it. If you like puff-pieces, you should take a look at the pieces in years past on Ahmad Galloway and Cecil Sapp and (gasp) Quentin Griffin.

Sounds like Acoursi took the high road.......Dayne is lazy. PERIOD and has no heart... I would love to see him succeed but he probably never will..... He is far from the model player Ernie points out.....He Smokes too much weed and has a been long rumored to be responsible for the murder of Ex-Bills LB Damien Covington. Seems the DENVER writer is just trying to get a somehow positive story out of bringing in a huge NFL bust so-far. If Dayne becomes a successful RB in Denver than they should induct everyone associated with it (OL, FB, Coordinator, waterboy, cheerleaders) in Canton!!!!!

I love the whole "he needs 30 carries to be effective" thing. Not just with Dayne, but a lot of mediocre backs. If you need 30 carries to become an effective back, you may as well not suit up, because no team can afford a poor performance for the first 15 or 20 carries. Very often the REASON a back doesn't get X carries is because the offense stalls when the guy isn't effective. Kind of hard to get carries when the offense isn't on the field after you get for 4 yards on two carries every series.
:goodposting:
I'd swear some of you must think you are NFL coaches or something sitting on your couch and slinging your opinion so admamantly around here. It's ridiculous. Some of you sit there and proclaim Ron Dayne a waste, whatever. Obviosuly the Denver Broncos do not think so at this time and think he's a back that fits their system and THAT"S what matters around here.
Or maybe Denver wants a cheap RB to take some of the training camp and pre-season punishment. If he makes the team, great, if not they just wanted a body out there anyway.

Or maybe Denver wants a cheap RB to take some of the training camp and pre-season punishment. If he makes the team, great, if not they just wanted a body out there anyway.
That argument holds absolutely no water. If they just wanted a body they could have kept Garrison Hearst.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted that people in the "shark" message board are still backing this guy's fantasy value. Lets put it this way. I own Tatum Bell in a majority of my leagues and I wouldn't pick up Ron Dayne for free if given the chance. He was great in college in 1992 or whenever it was, but so was Ryan Leaf. I'm more interested in the rookie RB that Shanny will definitely select in the draft.

I'm more interested in the rookie RB that Shanny will definitely select in the draft.
We shall see come Saturday. I personally wouldn't expect anything on day one. On day two every team is drafting for depth, so no big surprise.

He Smokes too much weed and has a been long rumored to be responsible for the murder of Ex-Bills LB Damien Covington.
That's news to me. Please elaborate.
News to me too. Here's an article on Covington's death; Covington and Dayne appear to have been cousins:
Posted on Mon, Dec. 02, 2002

Marc Narducci | Covington's loss is mourned by coaches and former rival

By Marc Narducci

Inquirer Columnist

He will go down as one of the best athletes in South Jersey history. But sadly, now all we have are memories of former Overbrook star Damien Covington.

The area has been deeply shaken by the news that Covington died late Friday of multiple gunshot wounds when he got into a fight with armed robbers who broke into a party at the Coachman Manor Apartments in Lindenwold, according to the Camden County Prosecutor's office.

The 29-year-old Covington was The Inquirer's South Jersey male athlete of the year in 1991. That means he earned an award that was won by, among others, Carl Lewis of Willingboro, arguably the greatest Olympian of all-time; and Ron Dayne, also a former Overbrook star, who won the Heisman Trophy his senior year at Wisconsin and is a member of the New York Giants.

That is the kind of company that Covington kept with his athletic exploits. Off the field, he was just as impressive.

"Damien was just an excellent kid to coach, and not only was he an outstanding football player and athlete, but he was a great leader," said Larry Mauriello, who was Covington's football head coach and assistant wrestling coach at Overbrook.

Covington's senior year in football and wrestling at Overbrook ranks with the best ever. He transferred in the spring of his junior year in 1990 from Edgewood to Overbrook. As a senior, he was an Inquirer first-team all-South Jersey linebacker who led the Rams to the South Jersey Group 3 championship.

Also a fullback on offense, he never left the field in 11 games for the Rams, according to Mauriello.

"He was a very unassuming, polite youngster," Mauriello recalled. "Coming into a new school, it could have created resentment because he'd be taking somebody's spot, but it was like he was there all his life, and the guys rallied around him."

Despite earning a football scholarship to North Carolina State and playing three seasons with the Buffalo Bills until suffering a career-ending knee injury in 1997, Covington will be most noted in South Jersey for his wrestling exploits, specifically two gigantic matches with Ocean City's Patrick Lynch.

When athletes are remembered, they are frequently linked with their biggest rival. There is Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird, and Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain, to name a few.

When Covington is mentioned in wrestling terms, his name is invariably paired with Lynch's. The two combined for two of the most memorable athletic events in South Jersey history in any sport.

Both wrestled at 189 pounds as seniors, and their meeting in the championship of the Region 8 tournament at Absegami was highly anticipated.

Lynch had won two consecutive state titles and entered the Region 8 championship with 99 consecutive wins. Covington was unbeaten but still the underdog.

Covington beat Lynch, 8-4, to win the Region 8 championship.

"That Region 8 final was as good as it gets, and it brought the house down," Absegami coach Gene Barber recalled. "I've never seen anything like the anticipation leading up to the match."

The next week, the two met again in the 189-pound state championship before more than 9,000 fans at Princeton's Jadwin Gym. Covington was again the victor, this time by a 5-3 score. He finished 31-0 for the season.

"Both of us went on to bigger and better things, but I think we'll always be remembered around South Jersey for our two matches," Lynch said yesterday. "People come up to me all the time and talk about it."

Lynch, who is an assistant coach at Absegami, became an all-American wrestler at Arizona State University.

"I think people will always link the two of us together," Lynch said. "I think we were the top two wrestlers in the state that year, and we happened to be in the same weight class."

In June 1991, Mauriello was the defensive coordinator for the North-South all-star football game. Covington was one of the starting linebackers on the team.

"Every coach was fighting over him," Mauriello said. "They all wanted him on the punt team, the kickoff team, every special team. He made such a quick impression on all the coaches."

So much of what we do is taken for granted, especially the right to live. When somebody so young, with so much potential, loses his life, it is cause for deep reflection.

"It makes you really appreciate what you have," Lynch said.

For those who were close to Covington, they will remember him not only for all he accomplished in athletics but for how well he related to others.

"He had a great personality and people were drawn to him," Mauriello said. "That's why it's so hard to accept what has happened."

Who am I?

I average 80 yds/gm, 0.81 rushing TDs/gm, and 3.82 ypc. That equates to 1272 yds rushing and 13 rushing TDs in a 16 game season. The 1272 rushing yards would put me in the top 10 in rushing every other year, while the 13 rushing TDs would put me in the top 6 every year since I joined the league. I did this while rushing for a team that averaged being the 17th best rushing team in the NFL over the time that I performed, and now I'm with the team that averaged being the 5th best rushing team over the same time period.

Answer: Ron Dayne when he gets at least 19 carries a game.

Who am I?

I average 80 yds/gm, 0.81 rushing TDs/gm, and 3.82 ypc.  That equates to 1272 yds rushing and 13 rushing TDs in a 16 game season.  The 1272 rushing yards would put me in the top 10 in rushing every other year, while the 13 rushing TDs would put me in the top 6 every year since I joined the league.  I did this while rushing for a team that averaged being the 17th best rushing team in the NFL over the time that I performed, and now I'm with the team that averaged being the 5th best rushing team over the same time period.

Answer:  Ron Dayne when he gets at least 19 carries a game.
But how many games did he actually do that? Taking a sample from situational rushing numbers and projecting them out doesn't always reflect what would of been. If he had a few games recently (say 6 or more) where he did that it would better support your theory.

By Family Matters:

But how many games did he actually do that? Taking a sample from situational rushing numbers and projecting them out doesn't always reflect what would of been. If he had a few games recently (say 6 or more) where he did that it would better support your theory.
He had 19 or more carries in 11 games. Dayne has always been a RB who performs better with a heavy workload. New York used him in exactly the wrong way & then blamed him for failing. DEN is not a RBBC team & doesn't throw much to its featured RB (except for Portis), using the WRs, TE, & FB to drive the passing attack. Dayne might not get his chance with DEN, especially with Bell there, but if he does (say due to injury), don't be too surprised if he succeeds.

By Family Matters:

He had 19 or more carries in 11 games. Dayne has always been a RB who performs better with a heavy workload. New York used him in exactly the wrong way & then blamed him for failing. DEN is not a RBBC team & doesn't throw much to its featured RB (except for Portis), using the WRs, TE, & FB to drive the passing attack. Dayne might not get his chance with DEN, especially with Bell there, but if he does (say due to injury), don't be too surprised if he succeeds.
Your stats are bogus, because the games where he got 19 carries were the games where he was accomplishing something. There are teams which don't match up well against a fat RB; it makes sense to give more carries to your Ron Dayne or Mike Alstott if the other team can't tackle him. But Dayne and Alstott put up goose eggs against reasonable defenses; Dayne's best game was 19 carries for 111 yards and a TD, and it was sandwiched between two games where he had 16 carries for 46 and 39 yards, respectively. In fact, if you look at games where Dayne had more than 16 carries (rather than your arbitrary number of 19), you find 16 games (an entire season) with 312 carries, 1101 yards, 3.52 ypc, and 10 TDs; well below average, and about tied with the Bus for #19 RB in fantasy scoring in 2004.

I never thought that he was used properly with the Giants.
As a running back you mean?If you like Rueban Droughns size and Q Griffins ability to get stuffed by the first guy who touches him, Dayne is your guy.

By Family Matters:

I agree that if he gets a chance he will put better numbers than he has before. The big question is will he get the chance. Only multiple injuries will get him in a position to have those type numbers IMO. You have to wonder if Griffin & Anderson are healthy and Denver drafts another back, will Dayne even make the team?

Who am I?

I average 80 yds/gm, 0.81 rushing TDs/gm, and 3.82 ypc. That equates to 1272 yds rushing and 13 rushing TDs in a 16 game season. The 1272 rushing yards would put me in the top 10 in rushing every other year, while the 13 rushing TDs would put me in the top 6 every year since I joined the league. I did this while rushing for a team that averaged being the 17th best rushing team in the NFL over the time that I performed, and now I'm with the team that averaged being the 5th best rushing team over the same time period.
This is hilarious. Do that same fancy arbitrary calculation to any other back in the league (taking only high-carry games) and THEN compare numbers and do rankings. If you do that consistently, you will find every back looks like an all-pro and they STILL put Dayne to shame.I've already shown with REAL statistics (as opposed to mangled ones) that Dayne gets WORSE as the game progresses. He is at his best in the 1st quarter, though he's no great shakes then either.

Dayne was a serviceable RB his 1st 2 seasons. Sure he didn’t live up to the Heisman billing but he was serviceable in his 1st two seasons (both NFL and fantasy) He finished 29th and 27th (fantasy) per the pro-football reference site his 1st two seasons

Dayne was a serviceable RB his 1st 2 seasons. Sure he didn’t live up to the Heisman billing but he was serviceable in his 1st two seasons (both NFL and fantasy)

He finished 29th and 27th (fantasy) per the pro-football reference site his 1st two seasons
How did 29th get to be "servicable" from a fantasy perspective?As for the NFL perspective, I think the fact that he was replaced speaks for itself. The Giants sure didn't think he was servicable, that's why they benched him.

His 1st year he had a 3.4 average, 3 catches for 11 yards, and 5 TDs. That's isn't servicable, that's bad.

Dayne was a serviceable RB his 1st 2 seasons. Sure he didn’t live up to the Heisman billing but he was serviceable in his 1st two seasons (both NFL and fantasy)
If your avatar indicates that you are a Giants fan, I'm surprised you would feel that way. Tiki was not supposed to be more than a punt returner/3rd down back, but became the guy only after Dayne's failures.

If your avatar indicates that you are a Giants fan, I'm surprised you would feel that way. Tiki was not supposed to be more than a punt returner/3rd down back, but became the guy only after Dayne's failures.
I think it points a lot more to Tiki's success. Dayne was drafted because the Giants didn't have faith in Tiki, but he proved them wrong in 2000 (Dayne's rookie year). After that the Giants realized Tiki was not only a better receiver but also a better runner. Dayne got shafted for much of the same reason LaMont Jordan did - he was playing behind a great RB. That doesn't mean either one of them won't be successful on another team.

He finished 29th and 27th (fantasy) per the pro-football reference site his 1st two seasons
How did 29th get to be "servicable" from a fantasy perspective?As for the NFL perspective, I think the fact that he was replaced speaks for itself. The Giants sure didn't think he was servicable, that's why they benched him.

His 1st year he had a 3.4 average, 3 catches for 11 yards, and 5 TDs. That's isn't servicable, that's bad.
At #29 in a 12 team league that starts two RB's, Dayne would have been a servicable 3rd RB. Obviously not a #1 or #2 but a decent bye week fill in.

Users who are viewing this thread