What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs (1 Viewer)

"I saw a Black Flag sticker on a Cadillac

A little voice inside my head said don't look back you can never look back"
Sorry- not huge into music like many on this board- what's the Black Flag reference about? I don't get it.
The band Black Flagheres a site with band info ->Black Flag
I should have been more specific. I understand that Black Flag is a band, I just don't get why they chose to substitute the Grateful Dead reference for Black Flag.Maybe I'm analyzing too much.

Sorry- not huge into music like many on this board- what's the Black Flag reference about? I don't get it.
I should have been more specific. I understand that Black Flag is a band, I just don't get why they chose to substitute the Grateful Dead reference for Black Flag.Maybe I'm analyzing too much.
I believe the thinking here is that it would be preposterous for a Cadillac owner having a Black Flag sticker on his car. Kind of like the dead head sticker in Henley's soong. Times change & as the lyrics say "you can never go back".Substitution comes because Black Flag is a seminal American punk band .

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best ever that hasn't been mentioned--Frigid Pink doing House of the Rising Sun.
Check out Brian Johnson (pre-AC/DC) with the band Geordie (sp?)doing an awesome version of House of the Rising Sun.

When you're done making this cover song boxed set, let me know. I'll buy a copy. ;)
Of course a boxed set can't exist.But you know, just hypothetically, this might make a good play list, if the station could go 79 minutes or so without breaking for commercial:1 Charles in Charge - Relient K2 The Boys of Summer - The Ataris3 Uptown Girl - Me First & the Gimme Gimmes4 Footloose - Good Charlotte5 99 Red Balloons - Goldfinger6 Seasons in the Sun - Blink 1827 Wall of Death - R.E.M.8 Landslide - Smashing Pumpkins9 Jump - Aztec Camera10 Mad World - Gary Jules11 Dear God - Sarah McLachlan12 Go West - Petshop Boys13 King of the Road - Proclaimers14 Baby One More Time - Fountains of Wayne15 Easy - Faith No More16 A New England - Billy Bragg17 Take On Me - Reel Big Fish18 I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow19 Bizarre Love Triangle - Stabbing Westward20 People Are Strange - Echo & the Bunnymen21 Creep - The Cure22 Tempted - Sting23 Stand By Me - Pennywise

Man, I didn't think we'd go two pages and nobody mentioned "Gin and Juice" by the Gourds (bluegrass version). Which I heartily recommend for any cover songs cd or box set.Satisfaction by Otis Redding. Keith Richards said it sounds like the song was supposed to sound, i.e. heavy on the horns.I'm also partial to Pat Boone's covers of hard rock tunes, esp. Crazy Train and Long Way to the Top (if You Wanna Rock and Roll).Hayseed Dixie is always good.

Under African Skies - The String Cheese Incident (Paul Simon)Lake of Fire - Nirvana (The Meat Puppets)I wanna be sedated - moe. (Ramones)

I don't like her version of Dear God, the original rules
You're preachin' to the choir here. XTC is a big favorite of mine.Thought of another one that I like:

Somewhere Over The Rainbow, What a Wonderful World (medley) - Israël Kamakawiwo'ole

Of course, if tunes featuring a morbidly obese Hawaiian on the ukulele isn't your cup o' tea, you might want to look elsewhere. It's a very simple yet amazingly powerful performance, though.

Here's an odd/interesting one:

Steppin' Out - Fantastic Plastic Machine (Joe Jackson) - Brit pop meets trip-hop, bossa nova, Shibuya-kei :unsure:

One I like that most of you probably havent heard is Sunday Bloody Sunday by Evergreen Terrace. Its not gonna be most of you guys cup of eggnog though.

"Heard it Through the Grapevine" - CCR (Marvin Gaye)"Man Who Sold the World" - Nirvanna (Bowie)"Steady Rollin' Man"- George Thurgood (Robert Johnson)

Some good choices. A few that I like that I think haven't been mentioned:While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Jeff Healey Band (Beatles)Battle Of Evermore - Lovemongers (Led Zep)Where Have All The Good Times Gone - Van Halen (Kinks)I Heard It Through The Grapevine - CCR (Marvin Gaye)

I believe the thinking here is that it would be preposterous for a Cadillac owner having a Black Flag sticker on his car. Kind of like the dead head sticker in Henley's soong. Times change & as the lyrics say "you can never go back".Substitution comes because Black Flag is a seminal American punk band .
I get it now- thanks for the good explanation.

Cake- I Will Survive (some fat chick)Everclear- The Boys are Back in Town (Thin Lizzy)Garth Brooks - You may be right (Billy Joel)Foo Fighters - Have a Cigar (Pink Floyd)Has anyone mentioned Clapton's "ripoff of "I Shot teh Sherrif" ?

These are the ones that I can think of that haven't been mentioned so far:Deuce – Lenny Kravitz w/ Stevie Wonder (Kiss)Turn, Turn, Turn – The Byrds (Pete Seeger)Mr. Tambourine Man – The Byrds (Bob Dylan)Come Together – Aerosmith (The Beatles)Whiskey In The Jar – Metallica (Thin Lizzy)Stone Cold Crazy – Metallica (Queen)Last Caress / Green Hell – Metallica (Misfits)Move It On Over – George Thorogood (Hank Williams)Who Do You Love – George Thorogood (Bo Diddley)She – Anthrax (Kiss)Parasite – Anthrax (Kiss)We Can Work It Out – Tesla (The Beatles)Signs – Tesla (Five Man Electrical Band)Hard to Handle – The Black Crowes (Otis Redding)Don’t Be Cruel – Cheap Trick (Elvis Presley)Crossroads – Cream (Robert Johnson)The Letter – Joe Cocker (The Box Tops)Once Bitten, Twice Shy – Great White (???)Blinded By The Light – Manfred Mann’s Earth Band (Bruce Springsteen)You Really Got Me – Van Halen (the Kinks)Oh Pretty Woman – Van Halen (Roy Orbison)Little Wing – Stevie Ray Vaughn (Jimi Hendrix)Take It Easy – Travis Tritt (The Eagles)Hard Luck Woman – Garth Brooks (Kiss)Hey Hey What Can I Do – Hootie and the Blowfish (Led Zeppelin)Soul Man – the Blues Brothers (Sam & Dave)Jump Jive an’ Wail – The Brian Setzer Orchestra (Louie Prima)

My Generation - Oasis (The Who), saw it live and it rockedOne - Johnny Cash (U2) good stuffHandbags and Gladrags - Stereophonics (Rod Stewart?) - great f-ing cover though it is a slow song

Seasons in the Sum - Blink 182 (Terry Jacks?)
This is an interesting case. The original was by Jacques Brel: "Le moribond". It was covered and translated in English in the 60s by The Kingston Trio. Finally, in 70s Terry Jacks made the famous version we all know.I couldn't find the cover by Blink 182 though. Has this been released?

Had to drag this thread out again.....

Metallica has some great covers on Garage, Inc., which includes stuff from Garage Days Re-revisited, one of my favorite albums.

Always loved their cover of Diamond Head's "The Prince".

"Astronomy" was one of my favorite Blue Oyster Cult songs, and I think Metallica improved it. They definitely improved "Turn the Page" (Bob Seger). And the cover of Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Tuesday's Gone" (with my man Les Claypool on bass) was incredible.

Mommmmy.....where's Fluffy?

I realize this is a 'Suggestion' forum, but I had to chime in anyway. Last night on Bravo (came on after a West Wing episode), there was a Cher concert. She opened with a cover of U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." One of the worst things I've ever heard.

I like this oneBlack (orig. Pearl Jam) - Aaron Lewis (the guy from Staind)This one is weird, but interestingRamble On (orig. Led Zepplin) - Dread Zepplin (reggae cover band. The chorus sounds like "Ramble-AY-O... Whoa... oh... Ramble-AY-O"

Rockin' Pneumonia & the Boogie Woogie Flu - Aerosmith (?)Love Me Two Times - Aerosmith (The Doors)Whiter Shade of Pale - HSAS (Procol Harem)

some of my favorites in my stack of already owned CDs turned into mp3 files (keep in mind my musical tastes are pretty broad):8675309 by Blink 182Tiny Dancer by Tim McGrawMessage in a Bottle by John MayerI Will Survive by CakeDaniel by FuelGoing Back to Cali by Sevendust

I was in Bremen a few weeks ago and popped into this reggae bar. Happened to sit down next to the owner, who also does a radio show. He had on a tape of a recent show and it happened to be playing "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" by Bob Marley. I hadn't heard this before and it was pretty good.

I watched part of the the god-awful movie "Spun" a few weeks ago and it starts out with a pretty cool acoustic version of Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast. After extensive research I was able to determine that the song is by Zwan, though it's not Corgan singing.

Tuesday's Gone: Redone by Metallica (Outstanding!!): Don't know (Almon Brothers?)
Added. The original was by Lynyrd Skynyrd. There is also a cover by Hank Williams Jr.

Pat Travers' CD, Don't Feed the Alligators is all covers (11 tracks). There are a few good ones on there:Crosstown Traffic - Jimi HendrixBlack Friday - Steely DanDelta Lady - Leon RusselSpanish Moon - Little Feat

I watched part of the the god-awful movie "Spun" a few weeks ago and it starts out with a pretty cool acoustic version of Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast. After extensive research I was able to determine that the song is by Zwan, though it's not Corgan singing.
RIP Zwan. :(

Here's a list of all of the songs Pearl Jam has covered. Some of these range from only a verse or two....or sometimes just some guitar riffs. But I would say a majority of them are played in full. Feel free to ask me any questions if you want to.01. Across The Universe [multiple dates] 02. Act Of Love [multiple dates] 03. Against The 70s [multiple dates] 04. All Right Now [2.28.92] 05. American Pie [multiple dates] 06. Androgynous Mind [multiple dates] 07. Angie [multiple dates] 08. Another Brick In The Wall, Part II [multiple dates] 09. Any Way You Want It [multiple dates] 10. A Quick one [7.14.99] 11. Atomic Dog [multiple dates] 01. Baba O'Riley [multiple dates] 02. Bad Mouth [2.12.92] 03. Ball And Chain [2.26.02] 04. Beast Of Burden [multiple dates] 05. Beautiful Way [multiple dates] 06. Beginning To See The Light [multiple dates] 07. Behind Blue Eyes [6.09.00] 08. Ben [11.17.93] 09. Blue Red Grey [4.23.03] 10. Bohemian Rhapsody [3.02.92] 11. Brass In Pocket [6.18.92] 12. Break On Through [1.12.93] 13. Bull In The Heather [multiple dates] 01. Candle In The Wind [3.12.98] 02. Can't Help Falling In Love [multiple dates] 03. Catholic Boy [2.21.95] 04. Changes [9.14.96] 05. Chinese Firedrill [unknown] 06. Cinnamon Girl [multiple dates] 07. Crazy Mary [multiple dates] 08. Crown Of Thorns [multiple dates] 09. Cut My Hair [9.21.96] 01. Diamonds In The Rough [multiple dates] 02. Dig Me Out [4.01.03] 03. Dock Of The Bay [3.26.94] 04. Don't Be Shy [multiple dates] 05. Don't Believe In Christmas [multiple dates] 06. Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying [multiple dates] 07. Driven To Tears [multiple dates] 01. Everyday [10.18.00] 02. Everyday People [7.11.95] 03. Evil Things [2.26.02] 01. Face Of Love [3.29.94] 02. Fame [multiple dates] 03. Forever In Blue Jeans [7.08.95] 04. Fortunate Son [2.23.03] 05. ####in' Up [multiple dates] 01. Gettin' In Tune [11.27.00] 02. Gimme Some Truth [8.04.01] 03. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun [5.13.93] 04. Girls Eyes [11.05.96] 05. Give Peace A Chance [2.16.03] 06. Going Back To Indiana [6.22.03] 07. Going Down [12.31.92] 08. Golden Slumbers [2.28.92] 09. Golden Years [4.06.01] 10. Growin' Up [7.14.03] 01. Happiness Is A Warm Gun [11.21.96] 02. Happy Trails [4.11.94] 03. Heart To Hang Onto [multiple dates] 04. Heaven [10.01.96] 05. Hey, Hey, My, My [multiple dates] 06. History Never Repeats [multiple dates] 07. Hold On [multiple dates] 08. Homeless [5.15.92] 09. Hunger Strike [multiple dates]01. I Am A Patriot [multiple dates] 02. I Believe In Miracles [multiple dates] 03. I Can't Explain [multiple dates] 04. If It's Monday Morning [2.26.02] 05. I Got You [multiple dates] 06. I'm One [multiple dates] 07. Interstellar Overdrive [multiple dates] 08. I Only Play For The Money [multiple dates] 09. I See Red 10. I Shall Be Released [10.31.99] 11. Is There Anybody Out There? [3.08.95] 12. It's Okay [multiple dates] 13. I've Been Tired [multiple dates] 14. I've Just Seen A Face [6.20.95] 15. I Wanna Live [8.25.98] 16. I Want You To Want Me [multiple dates] 17. I Won't Back Down [multiple dates] 01. Jersey Girl [9.08.98] 02. Jools And Jim [4.03.03] 01. Know Your Rights [multiple dates] 01. Lay Lady Lay [10.02.94] 02. Leaving Here [multiple dates] 03. Let My Love Open The Door [multiple dates] 04. Let's See Action [multiple dates] 05. Light My Fire [1.12.93] 06. Listening To You [11.27.00] 07. Little Wing [multiple dates] 08. Love -> Building On Fire [multiple dates] 01. Masters Of War [10.16.92] 02. MLK [multiple dates] 03. Monkey Gone To Heaven [multiple dates] 04. My Generation [multiple dates] 05. My Heart Will Go On [9.06.98] 06. My Hometown [9.25.02] 01. Naked Eye [multiple dates] 02. Needle And The Damage Done [3.10.95] 03. Noise Of Carpet [multiple dates] 01. On A Rope [8.10.00] 02. Open Letter (To A Landlord) [5.15.92] 03. Outshined [multiple dates] 01. Paradise [multiple dates] 02. Pebbles [multiple dates] 03. People Have The Power [multiple dates] 04. Piece Of Crap [multiple dates] 05. Pulled Up [multiple dates] 01. Rain [multiple dates] 02. Redemption Song [multiple dates] 03. Roadhouse Blues [multiple dates] 04. Rockin' In The Free World [multiple dates] 05. Ruby Tuesday [multiple dates] 06. Running Out Of Time [multiple dates] 07. Running With The Devil [unknown]01. Save It For Later [multiple dates] 02. Sheraton Gibson [multiple dates] 03. Shower The People [6.18.92] 04. Sleepless Nights [2.26.02] 05. Smells Light Teen Spirit [multiple dates] 06. Song X [multiple dates] 07. So You Want To Be A Rock N Roll Star [multiple dates] 08. Squeeze Box [4.24.94] 09. Star Boy [multiple dates] 10. Steppin' Stone [multiple dates] 11. Stuff And Nonsense [multiple dates] 12. Suck You Dry [multiple dates] 13. Suggestion [multiple dates] 14. Surrender [multiple dates] 15. Sweet Emotion [multiple dates] 16. Sweet Virginia [2.26.02] 17. Sympathy For The Devil [multiple dates]01. Take A Walk [multiple dates] 02. Talk About The Passion [multiple dates] 03. Tattoo [multiple dates] 04. Tearing/Silence/Grip [multiple dates] 05. The Kids Are Alright [multiple dates] 06. The KKK Took My Baby Away [7.14.98] 07. The Real Me [multiple dates] 08. The Ship Song [multiple dates] 09. The Times They Are A-Changin' [multiple dates] 10. The Wrong Child [multiple dates] 11. This Boy [multiple dates] 12. Three Little Birds [multiple dates] 13. Throw Your Arms Around Me [multiple dates] 14. Till The River Runs Dry [multiple dates] 15. Time Bomb [9.23.98] 16. Timeless Melody [multiple dates] 17. Tonight's The Night [multiple dates] 18. Touch Of Grey [11.07.95] 19. Trouble [multiple dates] 01. Voodoo Chile [multiple dates] 01. Walking The Cow [10.01.94] 02. War 03. Watch Outside [multiple dates] 04. Where Do The Children Play [10.20.01] 05. Why Can't I Touch It? [6.28.03] 06. Window Paine [multiple dates] 07. With My Own Two Hands [7.08.03] 08. World Where You Live [multiple dates] 01. Yeastie Girls Tune [9.01.98] 02. Young Man Blues [multiple dates

Here's a list of all of the songs Pearl Jam has covered. Some of these range from only a verse or two....or sometimes just some guitar riffs. But I would say a majority of them are played in full. Feel free to ask me any questions if you want to.
Have you ever stalked Eddie Vedder?

why are they done?
'fraid so, as of about a month ago.Zwan is no more
Zwan GoneBilly Corgan announced this morning that he has disbanded Zwan. The band recorded only one album, "Mary Star of The Sea", which was released in January. Corgan formed the band after the break-up of Smashing Pumpkins in 2000. In an interview with a Chicago television news program today, Corgan seemed to blame the break-up of Zwan on his band-mates, complaining of their lack of a "sense of deeper family and loyalty." He went on to say that he was now ready to pursue a solo career. "I think my heart was still in Smashing Pumpkins," said Corgan today. "I think it was naive of me to think that I could find something that would mean as much to me."
I'm getting the impression Mr.Corgan is hard to work with. :yes:

Zwan GoneBilly Corgan announced this morning that he has disbanded Zwan. The band recorded only one album, "Mary Star of The Sea", which was released in January. Corgan formed the band after the break-up of Smashing Pumpkins in 2000. In an interview with a Chicago television news program today, Corgan seemed to blame the break-up of Zwan on his band-mates, complaining of their lack of a "sense of deeper family and loyalty." He went on to say that he was now ready to pursue a solo career. "I think my heart was still in Smashing Pumpkins," said Corgan today. "I think it was naive of me to think that I could find something that would mean as much to me."
oh yeah.... that was the word even before he got famous.Control freak. He wrote and played everything on Gish and Siamese Dream except drums.

oh yeah.... that was the word even before he got famous.

Control freak. He wrote and played everything on Gish and Siamese Dream except drums.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. In light of his comments regarding loyalty, etc., apparently he is beginning to realize that Iha and D'arcy are probably among the few people in this world that could actually tolerate him.....and they could barely tolerate him.

I knew it wouldn't be too long before we see a Pumpkins reunion. What's the over/under on that? ;)

oh yeah.... that was the word even before he got famous.Control freak. He wrote and played everything on Gish and Siamese Dream except drums.
should be good solo

Anyone mention "Hey Joe" by Jimi yet? Not a Hendrix original, but will forever be recognized as his. Couldn't quite nail down the songwriter, but most people attribute the writing credits to Billy Roberts.

Users who are viewing this thread