What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cover Songs (1 Viewer)

I knew it wouldn't be too long before we see a Pumpkins reunion. What's the over/under on that? ;)
Fingers crossed two years. :thumbup: I was looking forward to Zwan touring down here until I saw them on Letterman. It was probably the worst live performance I've ever seen. They didn't seem prepared (was it their first live performance?) and sounded awful. I was really disappointed because I thought the album was pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, I've read this whole thread 17 times and I see no mention of "Justify my Thug" by Jay-Z ;) ;)

The Rover (Dream Theater - Zeppelin)Shout (Disturbed - Tears for Fears)Signs (Tesla - Five Man Electrical Band)Turn the Page (Metallica - Bob Seger)

Don't kill me if I'm wrong here:"Tainted Love" - Marilyn Manson (don't remember)"Helter Skelter" - Motley Crue (Beatles)

Anyone mention "Hey Joe" by Jimi yet? Not a Hendrix original, but will forever be recognized as his. Couldn't quite nail down the songwriter, but most people attribute the writing credits to Billy Roberts.
Great addition. I believe the original was by The Seeds. AlsoOne Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer - George Thorogood (John Lee Hooker)Do You Wanna Dance -- the Ramones (Bobby Sherman)California Sun -- the Ramones (dunno who) or any of a number of their many covers, esp. from the all-covers album, Acid Eaters: Have You Ever Seen the Rain (CCR) and Somebody to Love? (Jefferson Airplane) Please Mr. Postman -- the Beatles (the Marvelettes) You Really Got a Hold on Me -- the Beatles (Smokey and the Miracles)Twist and Shout -- the Beatles (Isley Bros.) Shakin' All Over -- the Who (from Live at Leeds) (Eddie Cochran?) Young Man's Blues -- the Who (Mose Allison) Recent Tori Amos all covers album is also a hoot. Top cover ever, IMHO, already mentioned, is All Along the Watchtower -- Hendrix (Dylan)

Just heard 311's cover of The Cure's "Love Song." :thumbup:
:thumbdown: I can't put it any better than the guys at Something Awful did:"However, I’m sure you’ll forgive me if I take a bit of time to bash one that’s currently burning up the nobody-gives-a-s### charts: 311’s cover of The Cure’s “Lovesong.” I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that if you’re too lame to cover The Cure properly, you have to be a pretty massive p####. As is their mellow frat-boy wont, they have set the Reggae dial to “medium” and flaccidly plodded through the song, keeping it fairly similar to the original. Of course, they saw fit to replace Robert Smith’s plaintive, emotionally nuanced vocal performance with an absolutely blank, robotic rendition that may as well have been sung to a cat, thereby stripping the song of what little impact or meaning it may have originally had. The video is even more appalling than the song; in it, smarmy singing Ken-doll Nick Hexum sleazily croons to a sorority girl in a bar, transforming the song into nothing more than an exaggerated pick-up line. But hey, if that’s what the studio needs to do to get more people to watch Drew Barrymore give a h###job to a walrus (or whatever that movie is about), then whatever, it’s not like art still exists or anything."On a lighter note, I ran across The Postal Service' cover of Phil Collins' Against All Odds. The juries still out on this one for me.

I heard a cover of a Beastie Boys song but missed the name of the artist and song. It was a boogie or swing style band doing it. Sorry for the limited clues, but any suggestions???

Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah blows away Leonard Cohen's version. Not to mention John Cale's version from Shrek.

Buckley drowned 7 yrs ago this week. I would really love to hear the music this guy would have been writing now. What a shame.

From stereogum:

Sweetheart: Love Songs (From Starbuck's Hear Music label)

Rufus Wainwright - "My Funny Valentine"

M. Ward - "Let My Love Open The Door"

Neko Case - "Buckets of Rain"

Calexico - "Love Will Tear Us Apart"

Old 97's - "She’s Got Everything"

Gary Jules - "How Can I Tell You"

Madeleine Peyroux - "Give Your Mama One Smile"

Sondre Lerche - "The More I See You"

Martina Topley-Bird - "I Only Have Eyes For You"

Jim White - "Use Me"

Joseph Arthur - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"

Dean and Britta - "Forever"

Milton Mapes - "Your Sweet Voice"

Vinicius Cantuaria - "Inutil Pasagem"

Mindy Smith - "Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square"

When Joseph Arthur did that Smiths tune at CMJ, I was floored. Nice to hear a studio version. Neko Case doesn't disappoint either.

When has Neko Case ever disappointed?

I haven't heard of some of these songs, but need to check out the M. Ward, Neko, Calexico and Arthur covers for sure.

These are the ones that I can think of that haven't been mentioned so far:

Once Bitten, Twice Shy – Great White (???)
That was by T-Rex.
One - Johnny Cash (U2) good stuff
Joe Cocker's cover of One is pretty decent, with the live version being better than the studio one available at iTunes.I wanted to add:

Sattelite of Love - U2 (Velvet Underground)

Sexual Healing - Ben Harper (Marvin Gaye)

Piece of My Heart - Shaggy (Janis Joplin) -- this one just because he turned the song into a converstation instead of a diatribe.

Punk Goes 80's - sample tracks

1. Manic Monday (Bangles) - Reliant K

2. I Ran (Flock of Seagulls) - Hidden In Plain View

3. I Melt With You (Modern English) - Sugarcult

4. Your Love (The Outfield) - Midtown

5. Don't You Forget About Me (Simple Minds) - Rufio

6. Pop Song 89 (R.E.M.) - Motion City Soundtrack

7. Holding Out For A Hero (Bonnie Tyler) - Emery

8. Just Like Heaven (The Cure) - Gatsby's American Dream

9. Power Of Love (Huey Lewis & the News) - The Early November

10. Straight Up (Paula Abdul) - Halifax

11. Dead Man's Party (Oingo Boingo) - A Thorn For Every Heart

12. Wrapped Around Your Finger (The Police) - Brazil

13. Forever Young (Alphaville) - So They Say

14. Everybody Wants To Rule The World (Tears for Fears) - JamisonParker

15. Video Killed The Radio Star (The Buggles) - Amber Pacific

Edited to add original artists for the youngsters.

Mogwai has a cover of Guns n' Roses' "Don't Cry" which I enjoy far more than the original.

Now That's What I Call Indie Covers! volume 1

All of the following have links to the mp3s

Now That's What I Call Indie Covers! volume 1

01 David Byrne - I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Whitney Houston)

02 Ted Leo - Since U Been Gone/Maps (Kelly Clarkson/Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

03 Ben Gibbard - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper)

04 Tilly and the Wall - Hey Ya! (Outkast)

05 Rilo Kiley - Simply Irresistable (Robert Palmer)

06 Flaming Lips - Under Pressure (Queen/Bowie)

07 Of Montreal - Can't Explain (The Who)

08 Superwolf - Ignition (R. Kelly)

09 Bishop Allen - Ring of Fire (Cash)

10 Ben Gibbard - Complicated (Avril)

11 The Unicorns - The Clap/I Just Can't Get You Out of My Head/P.I.M.P. (Kylie/50 Cent)

12 Elliott Smith - All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down (Hank Williams Jr.)

13 Sufjan Stevens - This One Goes Out To the One I Love (REM)

14 Rufus Wainwright - Somewhere Over the Rainbow

15 Rilo Kiley - Let My Love Open the Door (Townshend)

16 The Mountain Goats - The Sign (Ace of Base)

17 Belle and Sebastian - Dancing Queen (ABBA)

One I like that most of you probably havent heard is Sunday Bloody Sunday by Evergreen Terrace. Its not gonna be most of you guys cup of eggnog though.
One of my favorite covers too. We got the beat - Poison Idea (Go-Go's)

I'm sorry if this is Honda, but I didn't go back and read the entire thread.

On Sirius Radio's Coffee House station the other day, I heard Dar Williams do a cover version of Comfortably Numb.

I was impressed enough to search for it on Limewire. (Unsuccessfully, I might add)

Shadows Fall do a cover of Pink Floyd's "Welcome to the Machine" A must hear for any fan of metal and Floyd.
:yes: Definitely worth hearing, but not as essential as Voivod's cover of Astronomy Domine.

If you look hard enough you can find these gems . . .

The Wind Cried Mary - Richie Sanbora

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Prince & Tom Petty

Won't Get Fooled Again - U2

18 - Creed

Hey You - Dream Theater

Scarborough Fair - Queensryche

Space Oddity - Saigon Kick

Break on Through - Stone Temple Pilots

Should I Stay or Should I Go - Living Colour

Heartbreaker - Dread Zeppelin

Purple Haze/Another One Bites the Dust - Batfish

In Your Eyes - Jeffrey Gaines