What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Schottenheimer nearly fired last week (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
The Chargers nearly fired Marty last week.FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reported the news. There has been a lot of talk in New York that Chargers GM A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer don't get along, so the Jets may offer draft picks in order to acquire him. It's hard to believe Schottenheimer would want to make such a move, but Smith holds the cards here. Jan. 8 - 3:22 pm et Source: ProFootballtalk.com

The Chargers nearly fired Marty last week.

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reported the news. There has been a lot of talk in New York that Chargers GM A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer don't get along, so the Jets may offer draft picks in order to acquire him. It's hard to believe Schottenheimer would want to make such a move, but Smith holds the cards here. Jan. 8 - 3:22 pm et

Source: ProFootballtalk.com
Schottenheimer = Herm. No Thanks.

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reported the news. There has been a lot of talk in New York that Chargers GM A.J. Smith and Schottenheimer don't get along, so the Jets may offer draft picks in order to acquire him. It's hard to believe Schottenheimer would want to make such a move, but Smith holds the cards here. Jan. 8 - 3:22 pm et

:lmao: Schottenheimer's 62 games over .500, and has had two losing seasons in 20 years.

Herm's 2 games under .500, and has had two losing seasons in 5 years.

Mangini or Shottenheimer would be great. What's Shottenheimer make though? Doesn't he make close to $3 million/year?

Last edited by a moderator:
ProFootballTalk is awesome, but AJ has denied this a bunch of times.
Come on Maurile. You're one of the most level headed, well researched, and reasonable people around here. ProFootballTalk makes stuff up out of the blue. They have almost no credibility-- the National FL Enquirer. We've mocked them correctly more than once this season.

Jets have to be really stupid to offer anything for a coach that has zero rings.

Come on Maurile. You're one of the most level headed, well researched, and reasonable people around here. ProFootballTalk makes stuff up out of the blue. They have almost no credibility-- the National FL Enquirer. We've mocked them correctly more than once this season.
Sarcasm detector down? ;)

For all the criticism PFT gets they sure do get a lot of reports right. I would be interested in knowing what their percentage of correct reports is compared to the incorrect ones because just going off the top of my head whenever I hear of a report they've broken it turns out to be correct. They were the first ones to break Vince Young's situation yesterday for what it's worth. No clue if they're right or wrong with this story but they sure seem to be right more often than people give them credit for.

For all the criticism PFT gets they sure do get a lot of reports right. I would be interested in knowing what their percentage of correct reports is compared to the incorrect ones because just going off the top of my head whenever I hear of a report they've broken it turns out to be correct. They were the first ones to break Vince Young's situation yesterday for what it's worth. No clue if they're right or wrong with this story but they sure seem to be right more often than people give them credit for.
:goodposting:

Jets have to be really stupid to offer anything for a coach that has zero rings.
You do realize when was the last time a HC with a SB ring won the SB with a different team, right?
You do realize that Schottentool has a terrible track record for failing when it gets to playoff time not to mention his love for playing not to lose. :lmao:

PFT seems to have some good connections with player agents. They are good with stuff like who's about to sign somewhere for how much. Anything else from them tends to be very unreliable.

Weren't they the ones who also broke the new on Holmes this year, a week before it was announced and made official?

At some point you have to wonder if there's this much smoke could there really be a fire.I'm not sure which coaching loss would hurt the most if they left. Marty? Cameron? Phillips? Given the way the SD offense has exploded the last couple years Cameron might be the biggest loss but really the entire defense has been built to work well in Phillips system.With so many coaching vacancies around the league I think it will be difficult for SD to keep this group of coaches together for another year which is too bad. They were really building something.What exactly is the rumor about the beef between AJ and Marty? Does anyone know? I just hear vague references to it but never anything of substance.

At some point you have to wonder if there's this much smoke could there really be a fire.

I'm not sure which coaching loss would hurt the most if they left. Marty? Cameron? Phillips? Given the way the SD offense has exploded the last couple years Cameron might be the biggest loss but really the entire defense has been built to work well in Phillips system.

With so many coaching vacancies around the league I think it will be difficult for SD to keep this group of coaches together for another year which is too bad. They were really building something.

What exactly is the rumor about the beef between AJ and Marty? Does anyone know? I just hear vague references to it but never anything of substance.
apparently AJ and Marty aren't very tight anyway, and Marty's decision to start Drew over Phillip in the finale against AJ's wishes is likely the spark that is causing the smoke we're now seeing.

Sarcasm detector down? ;)
:bag: :thumbup:

You do realize when was the last time a HC with a SB ring won the SB with a different team, right?
You do realize that Schottentool has a terrible track record for failing when it gets to playoff time not to mention his love for playing not to lose. :lmao:
Damn :goodposting: Read my signature.

If the Chargers fire him now, they'll be one step closer to winning a Super Bowl.

As a Denver fan, I hope they give him a big contract extension and he patches everything up with AJ. I just like to point out that he has destroyed Super Bowl hopes for 3 decades and counting.

You don't think Schottenheimer is a very good coach? Sure he's lost some close playoff games, but is that really the sign of a bad HC?I recall Gruden's team choking in back to back playoffs, only to see him win the SB next year. Regular season success is a much better predictor of how good a coach is than playoff success (of course, lack of playoff success also implies success in the regular season).

PFT seems to have some good connections with player agents. They are good with stuff like who's about to sign somewhere for how much. Anything else from them tends to be very unreliable.
Like I said, I'd like to see a breakdown of the "scoops" they get and which ones turn out to be correct and which ones don't. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a higher percentage of hits than misses and much higher than people give them credit for. And I also like the smart-### approach they use with a lot of their writing. They write some funny s**t and I get a kick out of that.

You don't think Schottenheimer is a very good coach? Sure he's lost some close playoff games, but is that really the sign of a bad HC?I recall Gruden's team choking in back to back playoffs, only to see him win the SB next year. Regular season success is a much better predictor of how good a coach is than playoff success (of course, lack of playoff success also implies success in the regular season).
Blah..blah..blahSchottenheimer has no killer instinct and that weakness will haunt him until he gets more aggressive in crunch time. Most NFL experts agree with that.

Blah..blah..blahSchottenheimer has no killer instinct and that weakness will haunt him until he gets more aggressive in crunch time. Most NFL experts agree with that.
So if you had could call the plays during the final five minutes of the playoff games, Schottenheimer's teams would do much better?

I think bringing in Schotty is a good play for rebuilding the Jets. Whether or not he gets them to the SB, he should be able to turn around the organization into a competitive team that makes the playoffs. From there, they can always hand the reigns over to someone else.

I think bringing in Schotty is a good play for rebuilding the Jets. Whether or not he gets them to the SB, he should be able to turn around the organization into a competitive team that makes the playoffs. From there, they can always hand the reigns over to someone else.
I do think he is a good coach but I was very disappointed that he doesn't seem to understand what it takes to put teams away. If he doesn't want to change his style he will continue to break the hearts of fans.

So if you had could call the plays during the final five minutes of the playoff games, Schottenheimer's teams would do much better?
Oh Chase, it is so much more(with Schotty) than five minutes of playoff games and if you don't see that you really are a blind homer.

I do think he is a good coach but I was very disappointed that he doesn't seem to understand what it takes to put teams away. If he doesn't want to change his style he will continue to break the hearts of fans.
We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think Schottenheimer knows more about football than anyone on these boards, and is one of the most underrated coaches in the NFL. He gets his team to play, and he's gone father than most coaches without a stud QB. Obviously he was as close as it gets to bringing Cleveland to 2 SBs, although that's irrelevant now.He's never had the amazing QB or amazing D that wins it all, but he'll end up with over 200 wins in his career.

He's not coming to the Jets anyway though.

Oh Chase, it is so much more(with Schotty) than five minutes of playoff games and if you don't see that you really are a blind homer.
:confused:

We'll have to agree to disagree, but I think Schottenheimer knows more about football than anyone on these boards, and is one of the most underrated coaches in the NFL. He gets his team to play, and he's gone father than most coaches without a stud QB. Obviously he was as close as it gets to bringing Cleveland to 2 SBs, although that's irrelevant now.He's never had the amazing QB or amazing D that wins it all, but he'll end up with over 200 wins in his career.

He's not coming to the Jets anyway though.
That's the problem Chase, he gets em close but he can't finish the deal.Don't you have problems like that with women? :D

At some point you have to wonder if there's this much smoke could there really be a fire.

I'm not sure which coaching loss would hurt the most if they left. Marty? Cameron? Phillips? Given the way the SD offense has exploded the last couple years Cameron might be the biggest loss but really the entire defense has been built to work well in Phillips system.

With so many coaching vacancies around the league I think it will be difficult for SD to keep this group of coaches together for another year which is too bad. They were really building something.

What exactly is the rumor about the beef between AJ and Marty? Does anyone know? I just hear vague references to it but never anything of substance.
apparently AJ and Marty aren't very tight anyway, and Marty's decision to start Drew over Phillip in the finale against AJ's wishes is likely the spark that is causing the smoke we're now seeing.
Wonder if that means that AJ wants to keep Rivers or wanted to showcase him to trade?

He's a heckuva coach, but his tendency to get conservative (especially in big games) makes him predictable and easy for the other team to figure out. Yeah he's had a lot of bad luck, but great coaches make their own luck.

:rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder if people even read PFT. Theyve broken more NFL stories this year than anyone, including the major news services.

To think otherwise is to be underinformed or stupid.

Weren't they the ones who also broke the new on Holmes this year, a week before it was announced and made official?
And also were the first to announce the Randy Moss trade by more than a week.And the first to break news of Edwards meeting with Carl Peterson nearly a month ago.

And...

the list goes on and on.

The only people who ##### about them are the people who can't read the words "this is a rumor". hence the "rumor mill"

:lmao: Schottenheimer's 62 games over .500, and has had two losing seasons in 20 years.

I think the point that was being made is Marty is a decent regular season coach..but come playoff time, he is lousy!! he has a 5-11 lifetime post-season record & hasn't made the playoffs since 1997 when he coached the Chiefs. Like Edwards, he has questionable clock management skills, and chokes when the game is on the line or when a big decision needs to be made in a playoff contest..who wants to go 12-4 and lose in the first round of the playoffs???

you can keep shottenheimer, no thanks!

I think the point that was being made is Marty is a decent regular season coach..but come playoff time, he is lousy!! he has a 5-11 lifetime post-season record & hasn't made the playoffs since 1997 when he coached the Chiefs. Like Edwards, he has questionable clock management skills, and chokes when the game is on the line or when a big decision needs to be made in a playoff contest..who wants to go 12-4 and lose in the first round of the playoffs???

you can keep shottenheimer, no thanks!
So you're expecting history to repeat itself?

Isn't that what it does?Can't teach on OLD dog new tricks.
Link?Any evidence/data to back up the thought that because Schottenheimer has a great regular season record and poor playoff record in the past, he's going to do the same thing again?

Link?Any evidence/data to back up the thought that because Schottenheimer has a great regular season record and poor playoff record in the past, he's going to do the same thing again?
You want evidence from the future, eh? Wait a sec Dr. McFly, I'll be right back. :loco:

The closest historical comparison I can make is Chuck Knox. Had that reputation in Seattle, then Buffalo, then Seattle again in the 70s.

Past performance is no guarantee of future results, but it's a pretty damn good predictive tool, especially when you have a large sample size like you have with Marty's career.-MR

You want evidence from the future, eh? Wait a sec Dr. McFly, I'll be right back. :loco:
It cracks me up when Chase's posts revert back to his Jets94 days. :lmao:

Marty Schottenheimer's Career Playoff Record: 5-12

Cleveland, 1984-1988: 2-4

Kansas City, 1989-1998: 3-7

Washington, 2001: no playoffs

San Diego, 2002-present: 0-1

Out of 12 playoff appearances, Schottenheimer's teams have gone "one-and-done" eight times. EIGHT TIMES.

And three of the four seasons that a Schottenheimer team won at least one playoff game came during his tenure in Cleveland.

-MR

Users who are viewing this thread