What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (3 Viewers)

Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
Went with a boneless butt around 4lbs. I had my crockpot down pretty low. I think 8 hours might be on the minimum side (I am thinking I will either go 10-12 hours or turn the heat up a little more and stay at 8). Mine turned out pretty good, but a few more hours may have made the pork a little more tender. It's in the sauce now for another couple of hours. Maybe that will soften it up some more. Excellent and easy recipe. Can't wait to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm cooking this today in my Crock Pot:Chicken Bog:1 (3-pound) chicken, quartered (I use breasts only)1 pound smoked link sausage 1 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt (recommended: Lawry's) 2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows 1 teaspoon ground red pepper 1 teaspoon ground black pepper 3 bay leaves 8 cups water (I substitute 1 14 oz. can chicken broth for 14 of the ounces)3 cups raw white rice DirectionsSlice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In Crock pot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings and bay leaves. Set slow cooker to desired cook time (I ususally choose 8 hours). About an hour before the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly. Pick the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and skin. Add the rice to the pot and finish cooking (it's finished when the rice is cooked). Remove the bay leaves, and return the chicken to the pot. House Seasoning:1 cup salt1/4 cup black pepper 1/4 cup garlic powderCan be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
;)I like this one:Chicken in a Pot3lb chicken, whole or cut up (I like whole)2 tsp salt1/2 tsp dried coarse ground pepper1 tsp dried basil or parsley1/4 tsp Emeril's essence1/2 cup chicken broth (or sub water or white cooking wine)2 red potatoes (cut up)2 carrots (cut up)2 celery stalks (cut up)handful of green beans (I'm sure other veggie will work too)Make a bed of vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chicken on top of veggies. Top with seasonings. Add the liquid. Low 8-10 or 3.5-5 on high (double the liquid if using high).Plus you get a free bonus of really good broth left over - freeze it for later.

Just put 2lbs of pork spare ribs (bone in) into the crockpot and covered it with BBQ sauce....put some water in the bottom of the pot...and added a tablespoon of garlic, plus 1/2 an onion.

Can't wait to wake up to that smell

I'm making a batch of the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork for Sunday...can't wait! This recipe rules!!

Lazy Man's Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
This has been my favorite recipe in the whole thread. Simple, easy, delicious. I've made it 100 times.Stupid question. Would this be any good with a Top Round roast? :thumbup:

My butcher had a CRAZY good sale on them. About 70% off. I bought a few and froze them. Does BBQ sauce have to go with pork to be ideal, or can I pull off a good meal with this roast and some Honey BBQ sauce following the steps above?

Lazy Man's Pulled Pork

3 to 5 lb Pork Shoulder

Can of Coke

Dash of Liquid Smoke

Cup of your favorite BBQ sauce

Cook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
This has been my favorite recipe in the whole thread. Simple, easy, delicious. I've made it 100 times.Stupid question. Would this be any good with a Top Round roast? :goodposting:

My butcher had a CRAZY good sale on them. About 70% off. I bought a few and froze them. Does BBQ sauce have to go with pork to be ideal, or can I pull off a good meal with this roast and some Honey BBQ sauce following the steps above?
I won't leave anyone in suspense. I did it and it came out GRRRRRREAT!!!Gotta love BBQ sauce. You could put that stuff on a pair of Reeboks and it would taste good after ten hours in the crock pot.

I need to cruise through this thread again, but in the meantime, I'm on the hunt for new soup recipes. Anyone? Anything?

I need to cruise through this thread again, but in the meantime, I'm on the hunt for new soup recipes. Anyone? Anything?
Threw 2lbs of ground meat in with a bunch of diced veggies - 3 peppers, onion, celery....a few cans of your favorite kind of beans.....3 tablespoons of cumin.......your favorite chili packet.....garlic salt to taste...... :blackdot:

Quick question for the guys cooking potatoes and veggies in the pot for 10 hours:

Whenever I have done this the potatoes always turn out way too mushy and lose all texture. What am I doing wrong or is this how you like them?

pantherclub said:
Quick question for the guys cooking potatoes and veggies in the pot for 10 hours:

Whenever I have done this the potatoes always turn out way too mushy and lose all texture. What am I doing wrong or is this how you like them?
NOOOOOO... that's way too long for the potatoes/carrots.Throw the roast in first. After about three hours, put in the other stuff for about another three hours.

Raider Nation said:
Gotta love BBQ sauce. You could put that stuff on a pair of Reeboks and it would taste good after ten hours in the crock pot.
Why waste that money putting such a good piece of meat in the crockpot then? Just get some cheap lunchmeat and slop some bbq sauce on it. Guess to me if you have to put bbq sauce on something then it isn't very good to begin with :cry:

The_Hunchback said:
Raider Nation said:
Gotta love BBQ sauce. You could put that stuff on a pair of Reeboks and it would taste good after ten hours in the crock pot.
Why waste that money putting such a good piece of meat in the crockpot then? Just get some cheap lunchmeat and slop some bbq sauce on it. Guess to me if you have to put bbq sauce on something then it isn't very good to begin with :towelwave:
Because I like BBQ sauce on slow-cooked meat.And it wasn't expensive. Like I said, I caught an unreal sale. Got a few $10 roasts for $3-change each.

RAIDERNATION said:
Lazy Man’s Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow
I made it last Sunday. The g/f said it was the best thing I ever made!And "Lazy Man's" is correct..... very easy to make.
This is the first thing I am making in the crock pot. Is it literally that easy? I put the meat in, poured in the Coke, then a few dashes of liquid smoke, and set the crock for 8 hours. I will get up at 6 to do the rest and then back to bed. Seeing as I have never used a crock, the liquid doesn't have to cover the meat? The Coke is only covering the bottom portion of the shoulder at this point. Is that right?Pumped for this :sleep:

RAIDERNATION said:
Lazy Man's Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow
I made it last Sunday. The g/f said it was the best thing I ever made!And "Lazy Man's" is correct..... very easy to make.
This is the first thing I am making in the crock pot. Is it literally that easy? I put the meat in, poured in the Coke, then a few dashes of liquid smoke, and set the crock for 8 hours. I will get up at 6 to do the rest and then back to bed. Seeing as I have never used a crock, the liquid doesn't have to cover the meat? The Coke is only covering the bottom portion of the shoulder at this point. Is that right?Pumped for this :sleep:
Yep. Got the same thing cookin' right now, as you saw in the SP. The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is, not to mention delicious. Don't forget the "toasted bun" part. If you don't toast the buns/rolls, the BBQ pork will make the buns all soggy. Not good.

Great thread! These recipes have me salivating. I don't own a slow cooker/crock pot. Is there a certain make or mode that you guys recommend, or will any of them do for a newb like me?

Great thread! These recipes have me salivating. I don't own a slow cooker/crock pot. Is there a certain make or mode that you guys recommend, or will any of them do for a newb like me?
Just get a big one. I believe the gold standard is made by the company Crockpot.

RAIDERNATION said:
Lazy Man's Pulled Pork3 to 5 lb Pork ShoulderCan of CokeDash of Liquid SmokeCup of your favorite BBQ sauceCook pork shoulder in coke and dash of liquid smoke for 8 hours on low. Drain shoulder, shred, and discard liquid and any fat chunks. Add BBQ sauce and pulled shoulder back to crock pot and cook on low for another 2 hours. Serve on sturdy toasted bun.
gonna try this tommorow
This is the first thing I am making in the crock pot. Is it literally that easy? I put the meat in, poured in the Coke, then a few dashes of liquid smoke, and set the crock for 8 hours. I will get up at 6 to do the rest and then back to bed. Seeing as I have never used a crock, the liquid doesn't have to cover the meat? The Coke is only covering the bottom portion of the shoulder at this point. Is that right?Pumped for this :goodposting:
Yep. Got the same thing cookin' right now, as you saw in the SP. The beauty of this recipe is how easy it is, not to mention delicious. Don't forget the "toasted bun" part. If you don't toast the buns/rolls, the BBQ pork will make the buns all soggy. Not good.
Verdict: AWESOMENext time I would shred the pork earlier, but it came out tender and juicy anyway. Might add a bit more liquid smoke next time, but everyone, and I mean everyone, loves it. There won't be enough from the 3.5lb shoulder, so next time 5lbs will do it. Thanks for the heads up, let's get ready for some :football:

Tony Jabroni said:
ttea said:
Just get a big one. I believe the gold standard is made by the company Crockpot.
I have a Rival Crock Pot, 3 quart stoneware slow cooker - the controls say Smart Pot.This one.

Anyway, just wanted to say I love the functionality of the controls, size is perfect, and big fan of stoneware.

Went with a boneless butt around 4lbs. I had my crockpot down pretty low. I think 8 hours might be on the minimum side (I am thinking I will either go 10-12 hours or turn the heat up a little more and stay at 8). Mine turned out pretty good, but a few more hours may have made the pork a little more tender. It's in the sauce now for another couple of hours. Maybe that will soften it up some more. Excellent and easy recipe. Can't wait to try it.
I've got this bad boy all fired up. I'll go with the 10-12 hours and plan to have this during the games on Sunday. Can't wait.

I've got this bad boy all fired up. I'll go with the 10-12 hours and plan to have this during the games on Sunday. Can't wait.
Wow, I just shredded it after 9 hours and put the sauce on. It's already fantastic!

Wow, I just shredded it after 9 hours and put the sauce on. It's already fantastic!
A venison neck roast and shoulder roast are being prepped for this recipe as we speak. Update tomorrow afternoon.

Pork Baby Back Ribs

1-3 racks of baby back ribs

dry rub

Cut the racks in half to fit in the crock pot. We can normally fit 3 large racks in our oval shaped pot. Coat liberally with your choice of dry rub (We use a mixture of Stubbs blend and McCormick pork rub). Place ribs in the pot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on the thickness of the ribs. Eat as is or remove ribs and place on broiler pan/sheet pan. Coat with your choice of BBQ sauce. Broil in oven to carmalize the sauce.

Fall off the bone ribs with great flavor. No liquid needed. We normally use our second crock pot to make this

Just putting the finishing touches on a 6.5# shoulder using this method for the first time. WOW. :confused:

Does anyone know if this pulled pork recipe works with a center cut boneless pork roast?

Does anyone know if this pulled pork recipe works with a center cut boneless pork roast?
I don't see why it wouldn't

Tiger Fan said:
eoMMan said:
I don't see why it wouldn't
Yeah, dude. Scroll up a bit. I did it with a top round roast a few weeks ago and it was awesome.As long as you can give it 6-8 hours, just about any meats in a crock pot with BBQ sauce is :sarcasm:

Wanted to add my 2 pennies.

Last week I made a beef pot roast in the slow cooker.

I started with and cooked for about 6 hours

4lbs of beef. cut in large chunks.

1 onion quartered

My spices: in a mort and pestle: whole cumin seed, 2 garlic cloves, boiled New Mexico and California

chili's, ground up and placed in cooker with about 2 cups of water.

After 6 hours put the below ingredients in and cooked for an additional 2 hours.

about 3-4 potatoes

6 carrots cut in halves

Serve with flour tortillas and cold bevvie of your choice.

made this last night and it's easily the best thing I've ever had out of a crock pot.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Recipes/slow-coo...tory?id=6905418

Buffalo Chicken Lasagna

uncooked traditional lasagna noodles (I used Tinkyada brand)

4 previously cooked chicken breast halves

1 jar of prepared pasta sauce

1 cup buffalo wing sauce

3 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers

1 15-ounce tub of ricotta cheese

2 cups shredded cheese (mozzarella and cheddar blend)

½ cup bleu cheese crumbles

¼ cup of water (add at very end)

Use at least a 5-quart slow cooker, or cut back on the amount of ingredients.

In a large glass bowl, combine cooked and chopped chicken breasts, the pasta sauce, and 1 cup of buffalo wing sauce.

Ladle a big spoonful of the sauce into the bottom of your crockpot. Cover with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. You'll have to break them to get a proper fit.

Add a smear of ricotta cheese to the top of the noodles. Add a layer of chopped bell peppers. Sprinkle on a handful of shredded cheese.

Repeat layers until you run out of ingredients.

Add the bleu cheese crumbles, if desired. Put the ¼ cup of water into your empty pasta sauce jar and shake. Pour the liquid over the top of the entire lasagna.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. When cooking time is complete, unplug and take off the lid of the crock. Let it sit for 20 minutes before cutting into it, or it will fall apart.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/cr...gna-recipe.html

What slow cooker are you guys using? Im looking for a good programmable, smallish one in the 4quart or so range.

I've got to make something for an office pot luck lunch on Halloween. I think I'll try the Lazyman's Pulled Pork. I can make it at home on Sunday and then let it stay warm at the office on Monday morning....

I wanted to make the recipe for Italian short ribs in the back of this month's Wine Spectator. I got all the stuff and realized we didn't have a dutch oven casserole suitable for stovetop, which was required.

So I did it in the crockpot. Beef short ribs, salt, pepper, fresh herbs, carrots, onions, beef stock, 1/2 bottle of red wine. brown the meat and throw it in there for 6 hours, turned out great.

I wanted to make the recipe for Italian short ribs in the back of this month's Wine Spectator. I got all the stuff and realized we didn't have a dutch oven casserole suitable for stovetop, which was required.So I did it in the crockpot. Beef short ribs, salt, pepper, fresh herbs, carrots, onions, beef stock, 1/2 bottle of red wine. brown the meat and throw it in there for 6 hours, turned out great.
Can you post the recipe? That sounds marvelous.

Chuck or shoulder roast. Put crock pot on low heat. Add one package of Lipton Onion soup mix. No water.Just let it sit all day.Awesome!
Done this w/ carrots and potatoes and it was awesome :thumbup: Also like chicken in the crock pot with 3/4 a cup of water and a packet of taco seasoning... set on low for 4 hours

I've got to try the Lazy Man's Pulled Pork recipe.
I am going to try it this weekend. The problem is my pot is one of those older ones made by Crockpot--maybe 20 years ago. This thing is built like a tank, but I have always had problems with food getting done too quickly even on low with it. I have 2 other smaller ones, but I don't think they will hold that big of a roast. I may need to break down and buy another more modern one. I love cooking food in these--especially on Sundays. I have usually had too many :banned: come dinner time and to have the food already cooked and ready is such a plus.

Just putting the finishing touches on a 6.5# shoulder using this method for the first time. WOW. :confused:
Just made this Lazy Man's Pulled Pork again last weekend. Wow. It's fantastic.

Just made this Lazy Man's Pulled Pork again last weekend. Wow. It's fantastic.
I did a variation of this b/c I was short on time. Used boneless country style ribs instead of the shoulder and they cooked quicker. Not a big fan of bottled BBQ sauce so I added some of my rub at the start of the cook and then dressed the sandwiches with a sauce made of cider vinegar, ketchup, agave nectar, Franks, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Turned out pretty good in the end.

I'm cooking this today in my Crock Pot:Chicken Bog:1 (3-pound) chicken, quartered (I use breasts only)1 pound smoked link sausage 1 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt (recommended: Lawry's) 2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows 1 teaspoon ground red pepper 1 teaspoon ground black pepper 3 bay leaves 8 cups water (I substitute 1 14 oz. can chicken broth for 14 of the ounces)3 cups raw white rice DirectionsSlice the sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. In Crock pot, combine the chicken, sausage, onion, butter, seasonings and bay leaves. Set slow cooker to desired cook time (I ususally choose 8 hours). About an hour before the cook time is up, remove the chicken from the pot and let cool slightly. Pick the meat from the bones, discarding the bones and skin. Add the rice to the pot and finish cooking (it's finished when the rice is cooked). Remove the bay leaves, and return the chicken to the pot. House Seasoning:1 cup salt1/4 cup black pepper 1/4 cup garlic powderCan be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
I made this last night - very good but I had a few modifications.How liquidy is this supposed to be? 8 cups of water seems like entirely too much. I used 4-5 cups instead of the full amount.I also cooked up some shrimp to add to the mixuture when I put the picked chicken back into the pot after the rice cooked. I then added some peas to the mix and made it more of a jambalaya type mixture. Added hot sauce to taste and it was supreme :thumbup:

Other than making cooking easier, the best thing about a crock pot is that even an inferior piece of meat can taste fantastic. Grab a cheap shoulder steak or whatever. You can get a HUGE piece for about $4 or $5. Throw it in water for five hours. Remove the meat and dump out the water. Put BBQ sauce in the crock pot and throw the meat back in (shred it if you want to at this point, but it doesn't matter). Make sure you roll the meat around in the BBQ sauce nice nice. Maybe shake some onion powder or garlic powder on there, and let it cook on low for another two hours. Comes out great!

Sometimes I'll throw a can of corn right into the crock pot on top of the meat for the last half hour it's cooking. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread