What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crock pot / Slow cooker recipes (7 Viewers)

Not sure 

The bag I made yesterday had 96 meatballs 
No worries.  I didn't count.  The bag I picked up was 26 oz.  Someone else linked a 32 oz. bag.  Doubt it matters.  The recipe online says it's flexible.  :shrug:    It sure looks like something in the crock pot.  :oldunsure:  

No worries.  I didn't count.  The bag I picked up was 26 oz.  Someone else linked a 32 oz. bag.  Doubt it matters.  The recipe online says it's flexible.  :shrug:    It sure looks like something in the crock pot.  :oldunsure:  
The jelly will melt in lol

I think I posted it here before but I’m not sure. I stir the jelly n chili sauce together in a pot on the stove until the jelly is melted in then add to crock with meatballs. Not sure it matters 

When I use the slow cooker it normally comes out a bit bland.  It’s difficult to get the seasoning and flavor right.  I made slow cooker pulled chicken this weekend and it was the best I’ve made to date.  I’m not going to say it was amazing but I will say I liked it better than anything else I’ve done in the slow cooker so far.  Here is what I did…

6 boneless chicken breasts (approx. 4.5 lbs.)

Trim the fat off the breasts and sprinkle Season All on them

Add to slow cooker:  ¾ cup of water + ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar + few drops of Worcestershire + few drops of extra virgin olive oil + chicken and cook on low approximately 7-8 hours

After cooking I shredded the chicken with 2 forks and left it in the liquid it was cooked in.  Then I added a full bottle of Woodstock Organic Hickory BBQ sauce.  If I did it again I would probably use a little less water (probably ½ cup).

Normally when I make pulled pork or pulled chicken I drain the liquid it was cooked in before I shred it.  This time I left it in the liquid.  This obviously made it a lot wetter, but I feel like that added to the overall flavor.  Also, with the extra liquid, even though I added a lot of BBQ sauce, the BBQ it didn’t overpower the flavor.  I don’t know exactly what made it better this time, I just know I liked it a lot.
Made this today and it came out great. 

Have't read through the thread to see if this was mentioned ... but a lot of people do the "Grape Jelly Meatballs" with grape jelly and yellow mustard. Unsure on quantities ... but those two ingredients combine to create something a lot like barbecue sauce with a flavor profile that shades towards vinegar.

The improved search engine brought me here.  Neat.

Curious if anyone has ideas on whether it is food safe to have food on a timer that takes only 6 hrs to cook, and abandoned for 4+ hours?

Is there some workaround I'm overlooking (put food in frozen?)

Curious if anyone has ideas on whether it is food safe to have food on a timer that takes only 6 hrs to cook, and abandoned for 4+ hours?

Does your crockpot automatically go into “keep warm” mode when the timer expires?

I would think starting from the meat frozen would add a few hours at least to your cook time. Maybe put it in frozen, set the outlet to turn on in an hour, and then cook for 8??  That almost gets you there.   Or go with low versus high.  I have done shredded chicken where I started form frozen solid and I left it for almost 9 hours and it turned out fine.

9/25/21 ?!?!

Am I the only one still using my crockpot? :kicksrock:

Crockpot chili for us today. I’m going to use some cherry tomatoes that I grew and froze. Never tried that before. Also grew roasted and froze hatch chilis and a few marconis that i have thawing. Should be interesting

9/25/21 ?!?!

Am I the only one still using my crockpot? :kicksrock:

Crockpot chili for us today. I’m going to use some cherry tomatoes that I grew and froze. Never tried that before. Also grew roasted and froze hatch chilis and a few marconis that i have thawing. Should be interesting
I use mine just about every week. Last week I made my world-famous beouf stew. Threw in some Serrano peppers and some poblanos to give it a little extra zing. Came out really good. Tonight I'm putting together my chili recipe to cook all day starting tomorrow morning. Again with the serrano peppers and poblanos and a few habaneros as well. We like it spicy here.

Use mine weekly as well. I have three of them. Going to try this new Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti recipe I found on TikTok. It looks good, but it is an interesting fusion of flavors. I will post the recipe if it is any good.

Cut up a chuck roast into 2 inch chunks. Got my cast iron pan nice and hot, and browned up the chunks.

In a separate pot, I put:
4 cups beef stock
3 tablespoons 'italian seasoning'
3 tablespoons minced garlic
bay leaf
1 tablespoon onion powder

Brought that to a simmer. When I finished browning(who am I kidding? They were a deep mahogany/almost burnt goodness) the meat, I threw them in a crock pot and topped the meat with a diced jalapeno and two large sliced onions. I poured the above mixture into the cast iron pan and got up all the fond from the bottom. Poured that over the meat and onions.

Now we wait...

Edit to add: Turned out amazing! Roasted some fingerling potatoes, carrots, and radishes to go with it.

Last edited:
What’s an easy way to make pulled pork in the crock pot? Have a good recipe?

Also, for those that too the pulled pork sandwich with onion, do you use yellow or red onions? Raw dog or saute them first?

Also, for those that too the pulled pork sandwich with onion, do you use yellow or red onions? Raw dog or saute them first?
This

There's tons of recipes, rubs, marinades, etc you can do yourself. It's not hard. But, this package from Aldi is just so good and easy that it's just not worth the time for me. Literally cut open the package, put it in the crock pot on low heat, and in 8 hours shred with a fork.

Slight tangent, but definitely related to crock-pot cooking:

For some reason, our local groceries have stopped putting (beef) chuck roast** on sale. Deep discounts on chuck roast at local stores were a once-a-month thing like clockwork up until about a year ago. These days, the only deep-discounted beef roasts are Boston Butt, bottom round, and rump roast**. My wife says those other roasts don't really cook down like a chuck roast does, so she doesn't like when I get those other kinds. I thought slow-and-low in crock pot would yield similar results for all those cuts ... but she's dug in. Chuck roast or nothing***.

I know some beef roasts have a lot of connective tissue (gristle) that doesn't really break down all the way. Just not sure she's right to throw ALL those other kinds of beef roast into the same 'lousy roast' bucket.

Chuck roasts are still available, but they're never on real sale (maybe a buck a pound off at best) and they seem to be cut way smaller than before. It takes some work to find a three-pound chuck roast around here now, where before most of them were around 4-5 pounds.

What does the house think? Are the (locally) cheaper roasts like Boston butt, bottom round and rump pretty much just as good as a chuck roast? Especially for crock pot cooking? Or is my wife right in her "only chuck" stance?

** I know beef cuts/roasts are called different names in different parts of the U.S. Let me know if clarification is required.

*** She's not a fan of brisket, either, for some reason. When other people make brisket, I always think it's good.

If you want real easy:

1) Put pork shoulder in crock pot
2) Pour a can of coca-cola over it
3) Slow cook 8-10 hours.
4) Remove and shred.

I use red onion, usually raw.

edit: or look back to the first post of the thread. i forgot that was there.

RAIDERNATION said:
It's the only way I cook chili. Nothing like the simmering aroma throughout the house on a football weekend.
I also do that on Sundays in the fall, only with my famous spicy meatballs. That's the only thing I've made in the crock pot which comes out great.
PM me the meatball recipe please.
I'll paste it here in case anyone else is interested. There is no "magic potion," but anyone who has my meatballs always say they are the best they've ever had. The hot Italian sausage is the key. Squeeze it right in with the ground chuck. :) Serve on a fresh, soft torpedo roll and use the parmesan cheese liberally. :excited:

==============

Have a big pan/crock pot of sauce simmering before you start making meatballs.

1 lb. Ground Chuck (preferably), or lean ground beef

2 large HOT Italian sausages… squeeze contents of casing in with the beef

1 tsp. Garlic

1 egg

1 teaspoon dried oregano

½ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup bread crumbs

¼ tsp. Salt

¼ tsp. Pepper

Preheat oven to 325º

Place meatballs on cookie sheet for 6 minutes.

Turn them over for another 6 minutes on the other side.

Place the meatballs in the sauce, and simmer for ***AT LEAST*** 3 hours.

If you can simmer them in a crock pot for six hours, that would be ideal.

Also use a stick of Margarita pepperoni, cut it into slices and simmer in sauce.

This recipe makes 12 decent-sized meatballs.
Just made the meatballs, nearly one year after the post. Absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Much appreciated. :thumbup:
16 years later and this is still a go to at least a couple times per football season.

If you want real easy:

3) Slow cook 8-10 hours.
4) Remove and shred.

@The Big Donkey … no salt & pepper or nothing? Just pork and cola?

Need something good for tomorrow. Needs to be something where I don’t need to brown any meat first (power outage and can’t run my electric stove on the generator)

Soups or stew or some sort of 1 pot meal would be best. Chicken, pork, ground beef would be ideal

Need something good for tomorrow. Needs to be something where I don’t need to brown any meat first (power outage and can’t run my electric stove on the generator)

Soups or stew or some sort of 1 pot meal would be best. Chicken, pork, ground beef would be ideal
Frostys Italian beef imo

Chili?

Frostys Italian beef imo
She already passed on making that for this week. I’ve made it a ton though it’s really good. I’m thinking of trying it with shaved ribeye next time

Chili?
Might be an option. Guess I could just steam the meat and veggies for a bit then add everything? I could probably just do it in the instant pot too

Also might just audible to hotdogs

At first I didn’t like this 1:00 game move but gives me a lot more time to get stuff done

Frostys Italian beef imo
She already passed on making that for this week. I’ve made it a ton though it’s really good. I’m thinking of trying it with shaved ribeye next time

Chili?
Might be an option. Guess I could just steam the meat and veggies for a bit then add everything? I could probably just do it in the instant pot too

Also might just audible to hotdogs

At first I didn’t like this 1:00 game move but gives me a lot more time to get stuff done
Instant pots have a saute function. You can brown any meat with it.

If you want real easy:

3) Slow cook 8-10 hours.
4) Remove and shred.

@The Big Donkey … no salt & pepper or nothing? Just pork and cola?
I like to make one of these when I am going to host a party, it's super easy and everyone loves it.
You can add any BBQ sauce you like, sometimes I will shred the pork and then put it all back in the crock pot with the BBQ sauce to mix it all up
Lot of folks just prefer to add sauce themselves on the sandwich vs mixing it all up inside the crock pot.

Pork Butt 6-8 hours shred it, easiest dummy proof thing you can do in the crock pot
Cocal Cola works fine, also like Dr Pepper!

Users who are viewing this thread