What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (3 Viewers)

Good start to the new season. It jumped around a bit, but I think it had to in order to update us and introduce the new aspects of the season. Previews look great!!
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("Pumped for the return of Mr. Avon Barksdale!

Can't wait for next week. *** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();
Really? Not that I said anything spoiler worthy, but what exactly are the ground rules in this thread and where can we talk about the show? I don't feel like posting everything in spoiler quotes. Should a new thread be started??

I was so excited for tonight and as always with so many shows was then feeling like "oh yeah they've gotta build up the story line"

The no money in the budget almost seems like it's taken too far.

I hope my workers don't see that and want to work 100+ overtime hours a month, geesh.

Marlo knows they're there and kind of odd they don't care and are just waiting for them to trip up. I like that, always thought it had to be all secretive.

Marlo's never liked that group Prop Joe got together, Avon probably gets out and has to take Marlo out.

Glad to see the good poor boy taken off the corner to watch the kid, he's not cut out for that corner stuff

remind me whats up with Sergei from season 2 and something messed up with the picture that was mentioned earlier.

This season looks like it is going to be something special.

remind me whats up with Sergei from season 2 and something messed up with the picture that was mentioned earlier.This season looks like it is going to be something special.
he got life in prisonhe was "the greek's" muscle "Did he have hands and a face? Then it wasn't me"The greeks provided the dope to prop joe coming in off the docksWhen McNulty openned it it said life imprisonment or somesuch so I'm not sure what the need is.Maybe Marlo is cutting off Prop Joe's supply and looking at how to get at it

remind me whats up with Sergei from season 2 and something messed up with the picture that was mentioned earlier.This season looks like it is going to be something special.
Maybe Marlo is cutting off Prop Joe's supply and looking at how to get at it
This is almost certainly what's happening, or at least some variation of it. Marlo knows he got taken by Prop Joe when they rebought their shipment from Omar after the heist. Remember Omar wanted 20 cents on the dollar, and Prop Joe charged everyone in the co-op 30 cents on the dollar. And since it was Chris that went to get Sergei's picture, you know Marlo's connected to it. I'd bet McNulty is going to be following up on this angle since he walked in on Chris leaving the file with Sergei's picture out on the desk.

he got life in prisonhe was "the greek's" muscle "Did he have hands and a face? Then it wasn't me"The greeks provided the dope to prop joe coming in off the docksWhen McNulty openned it it said life imprisonment or somesuch so I'm not sure what the need is.Maybe Marlo is cutting off Prop Joe's supply and looking at how to get at it
I remember that. I thought somebody earlier in the thread mentioned something wrong with his picture or something from Season 2? nevermind.

i knew avon was supposed to come back this season but in episode 2 already? ahh yesss...

michael lee is about to do more work next episode too... this is seriously making me want to just download them, but i like looking forward to them on sundays.

I think they came out a little TOO rushed with their introduction to the inner workings of a news room. They could have eased it in similar to the way they did with city hall (starting with a couple of characters and slowly connecting them from the street level up).

Also didn't like the way they pressed the empty budget storyline. Could have spent a little less time on it, and still got the main points across.

Overall... it was a decent episode. I'm really looking forward to the season. I hope they don't disappoint. IMO, it's the greatest TV drama ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get how people can love this show and think Season 2 sucked. Some of the best characters of any season of this show were in Season 2. I think some people here are getting too wrapped up in the fact that this show has portrayed the urban element in such a unique and engrossing fashion that they're starting to think the show is supposed to mainly be about the street. It's not. It's about the entire city. Yes, the street characters are fascinating, but they're just a part of the whole picture.
Season 2 did introduce some great characters and important plot lines, but it is easily the worst season nonetheless. Stylistically, it just seems out of sync with the rest of the show at times. I'm thinking, for example, of the scene where Daniels and his wife are having dinner, and it is continually cut back to Kima having dinner with her wife (both wives are annoyed at the cop in question). Just a bit cutesy. Generally speaking, it seemed like they were trying to go more mainstream in season 2.Seasons 1, 3, 4 >> Season 2 >>>>>>>>>>>> anything else on television.Season 5 is looking great. Can't believe only nine more episodes :thumbup:

avoiding injuries said:
I know the playoffs are on, but this thread was on page 11 when the final season is debuting tonight!!!

So they had "The Wire" premiere at the Senator Theater in Baltimore last night. David Simon, as you know, was a writer for The Baltimore Sun and this series is based off of what he saw during his time here. Well, Ed Norris, who was Police Comissioner for a few years before he got taken out by the Govoner and his staff for speaking his mind and not being a company man has a reoccuring part in the series. Both Simon and Norris stand firmly behind the fact that this show is a very good depiction of life in the inner city of Baltimore as well as how the Police department is run and the bias of the media.

Meanwhile the current Mayor, Shelia Dixon, was doing her best to downplay the similarities between the show and her city. There were also a few protestors complaining that this show makes the black men in Baltimore look bad. Speaking from my limited experience and knowledge of the city(I work there), the show is right on.

Last year Baltimore had 274 murders. 44 murders for every 100,000 people which puts them 2nd to only New Orleans. It's also ironic that over the past few weeks there have been numerous incidents involving Baltimore City middle school students committing violent crimes and assaults on MTA City buses. The stories have been all over the news here. I'm excited to see how they portray the Baltimore Sun in this season.

Less than 6 hours for those who are waiting to see it on live HBO. :goodposting:
Of course it's TV so dramatic license is taken, but I think the general representation of all aspects of Baltimore are probably as close to reality as fictional programming gets. In the featurettes on the Season 4 DVD, many of the actors involved are interviewed, and a number of them said that they have had people from the streets, schools, police, etc. come up to them and tell them how "real" the show is. And Simon and Burns both said that they want the program to be as authentic as possible, and that they are writing it with the real life subjects in mind, and they don't want them saying that the program got something wrong.Also, the people protesting the show's portrayal of black males in Baltimore are ridiculous. First off, the show shows blacks on both sides of the law, with everything from junkies to businessmen being portrayed. When it comes to the depicting junkies and drug dealers, I've never seen a more sympathetic portrayal of street life. So I think those people are way off base in their criticisms. I hope Simon addressed them. He broaches a related topic in this article, wherein he discusses the diversity of the cast and the lack of attention from Hollywood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bri said:
Glad to see the good poor boy taken off the corner to watch the kid, he's not cut out for that corner stuff
You're optimistic about this? I'm reasonably certain things are not going to end well for Dookie. And I'm terrified that Michael is going to have to make sure of that.

You're optimistic about this? I'm reasonably certain things are not going to end well for Dookie. And I'm terrified that Michael is going to have to make sure of that.
Agreed. Things dont look good for him. Thoughhe may find a way out through school and his relationship with Bug.

Well I wouldn't be happy if that's the case but like I said he's not cut out for dealing. I don't think Michael would. I think he'd put him and his brother on a bus to somewhere to "start a new life" before he'd kill them. Not too unlike the guy in season 1 going to his grandma's. However, I don't think he's so much of a street kid and he might be able to "make it".If Michael goes for any reason, they're done. I think Michael realizes that

Getting Down to 'The Wire'

Ten reasons why "The Wire" is the best show on TV -- and why it is so unpopular

By D. K. Holm

Special to MSN Entertainment

One of the favorite pastimes of television pundits is complaining about the lack of love given to HBO's "The Wire." With its return for a fifth season on Jan. 6 at 10 p.m. ET/PT, expect another spate of public keening and gnashing of teeth, especially if the show's final season fails to pick up more viewers and awards nominations. The paradox of "The Wire," though, is that the qualities that make it a great show are probably also the same things that impede its popularity.

"The Wire" is the brainchild of David Simon, a former Baltimore Sun crime reporter turned television writer and producer, with previous experience producing shows like "Homicide: Life on the Street" and the HBO miniseries "The Corner." "The Wire" was pitched to HBO as a super-realistic crime show, one that would make all others look pallid and artificial. And it does, no doubt to the detriment of its popularity. To the network's credit, HBO has stuck behind "The Wire" (in part because it isn't a broadcast network bound to advertising revenue). Though previous seasons aired on Sunday nights in the vicinity of "The Sopranos," the series never found an obsessed mass audience on the same level. Instead, it coasted along under that deadening label, "the critical favorite." And though it has never won an Emmy, "The Wire" has won five awards from various prize-bestowing bodies, including a prestigious Peabody in 2004.

10. It requires concentration

Unlike most series, "The Wire" is conceived as one continuous narrative broken up into 13 weekly bites. Characters may disappear for hours or weeks at a time, and the viewer is asked to remember them when they reappear. Clues lay unnoticed for huge swaths of time. Plot points and new characters are subtly introduced. And patience is demanded. In one narrative thread, a young man's odd behavior toward a kindly elder is left dangling and puzzling until many episodes later, when it is revealed that he was the victim of abuse.

9. There are no easy answers

"The Wire," at root, is a social problem show, not unlike movies such as "The Defiant Ones" from the 1950s, or earnest early '60s TV shows such as "East Side/West Side." Like life, it offers few definitive resolutions; in fact, the ends of some seasons are more likely to bum you out. But what is anathema to prime-time TV is lifeblood to "The Wire," in that it evokes greater emotion and viewer identification thanks to its honesty and realism.

8. Subtitles are helpful

Much of "The Wire," especially the first season, was conducted with thick ghetto accents and lingo. To some this was a rich and varied American language. To others, it was impenetrable. But some confused early viewers realized that simply by turning on the closed captioning on their TVs, the show blossomed into its full realization. It takes about a season, but pretty soon you can turn off the captions entirely. "The Wire" may have single-handedly mass-popularized the phrase "true dat."

7. Races are equal

It's hard to think of another show on television that employs as many black actors as "The Wire" does. This creates a world in which the races intermingle on multiple levels and where multiethnic romances are commonplace. Multiple scenes can go by where the only faces on the screen are black. But though this may make the liberal heart go pitter-patter, it should be acknowledged that this same facet is a deterrent to different types of viewers.

6. Fully explored characters

Bubbles. Omar. Lester. Herc. Prez. Merely to utter these names is to send a "Wire" fanatic into a swoon. How many shows offer up a scar-faced gay man who makes his living as a rogue stealing from other drug dealers? And makes you like him? That's Omar. Throughout the course of the season, Omar has become an unexpected moral force and dispenser of justice. And the copious amount of screen time that "The Wire" allots its cast, coupled with the mandate for realism, means that characters evolve and change in fascinating ways.

5. It is well-acted

One of the recent pleasures of watching prime-time television is to see "Wire" cast members pop up in "Law & Order" or "CSI" episodes in their offseason. Michael K. Williams appeared in "The Kill Point" and "Boston Legal," in two roles that were wholly different from his fierce and frightening Omar.

4. The show is written by great writers

Dedicated readers soon realized that some of their favorite novelists were penning individual episodes of "The Wire." Names such as Richard Price, Dennis Lehane and George Pelecanos pop up frequently -- some of the finest names in tough, urban crime fiction.

3. The show is sexy

On a network already known for getting its stars naked, "The Wire" presents sex as a regular part of life while also occasionally putting forward some of TV's hottest bodies in erotic situations.

2. Authenticity

The guys who make the show, Simon and Ed Burns (a former cop) lived this stuff. They saw it happen and know whereof they speak. A lot of the dialogue and many of the incidents are based on their personal experiences. In fact, some of the kingpins Burns ran aground now grace the show in minor roles. And many of the bit parts are given to real kids who help to keep it real.

1. Great music

The theme song for "The Wire" is Tom Waits' "Way Down in the Hole." But each season it's performed by a different artist, including the Neville Brothers (Season 3) and the Blind Boys of Alabama (Season 1). Though Waits' version is the perfect tone-setter for what is to follow, let's not forget Blake Leyh's great incidental music and closing credits theme. I always get emotional chills when an episode comes to its end and the tapping cymbals kicks off Leyh's theme music.

Perhaps the overriding virtue of "The Wire" is its moral compass. No one is just good or evil, black-hatted or white. The show's villains are as complex and Shakespearean as its ostensible heroes. In its heart, it is a downright decent show, one that talks about things often left unsaid in other programs, such as the state of our schools and the local corruption of our politics. The best way to explain the beauty of the series is to invite newcomers to follow the career arcs of two of its characters, D'Angelo (Larry Gilliard Jr.) and Bodie (J.D. Williams). In these two, we find the moral battlefields that shows like "The Wire" create, plus the fragility of one's status in that world. True dat.
Visit My Website

The Man Who Met Andy Griffith said:
Season 2 did introduce some great characters and important plot lines, but it is easily the worst season nonetheless.
No, it's not.
Which do you think is the worst? To me it's ridiculous to even talk about which is the worst, since they are all excellent and far better than anything else on TV, but if I had to choose, season 2 would be it.

Season 2 did introduce some great characters and important plot lines, but it is easily the worst season nonetheless.
No, it's not.
Which do you think is the worst? To me it's ridiculous to even talk about which is the worst, since they are all excellent and far better than anything else on TV, but if I had to choose, season 2 would be it.
There isn't a "worst." But 2 is the best.

No, it's not.
Pretty much how I feel about it.

watched the new episode last night

was excellent

the ending was amazing

the prodigal son...

mcnutty is at his best when hes pissed

i have no idea what he is going to do but im excited to see it unfold

unfortunately my tivo cut out before next weeks preview

watched the new episode last nightwas excellentthe ending was amazingthe prodigal son...mcnutty is at his best when hes pissedi have no idea what he is going to do but im excited to see it unfoldunfortunately my tivo cut out before next weeks preview
Wait until you see the second episode. It's On Demand right now.

Just stumbled across an interview that one of my favorite authors did with David Simon, the creator of "The Wire". Would post the full text here but even with the filters, I might be pushing some boundaries.

Link

Pretty good stuff, if you like Hornby.

Just stumbled across an interview that one of my favorite authors did with David Simon, the creator of "The Wire". Would post the full text here but even with the filters, I might be pushing some boundaries.

Link

That was some ####### awsome apple scrapple right there.

I was :mellow: when they strapped that kid to the copy machine and told him it was a lie detector.

So glad this is back on

No, it's not.
Thanks whitey. :mellow:

I was :thumbup: when they strapped that kid to the copy machine and told him it was a lie detector.So glad this is back on
seriously i think bunk is one of the most overlooked characters on this show. it was jokes when they had the other kid walk across with the mcdonalds. :lmao:

Link

That was some ####### awsome apple scrapple right there.
We start filming in late March [2007] and go to mid-August. That will be our last season. It’s funny. It took American audiences four seasons to find us, but this last season, something happened and find us they did. By the time we’re off the air for a few years, we’ll be a hit. In the last couple months, both the New Yorker and the New York Times Magazine have asked to have reporters follow filming to write curtain-raisers for the fifth season, which won’t air until 2008. We in Baltimore are used to being ignored. We are moderately disturbed by the trend, but we will try to make do.

Just finished the last episode of season 4. I'm completely speachless.

Interesting note: Nina Noble, one of the main producers on the show, is a friend of my dad's. I remember going to dinner with her and her husband a few times when I lived in Wilmington, NC (maybe ten years ago or so) and hearing them talk about a show that they were working on and really exited about, called The Corner. I remember being not too interested in those conversations (everybody and there brother is "working on a show" in Wilmington). Now I am kicking myself for not paying much attention. I'm going to get up with my dad now, and see if I can set up a lunch or dinner with her sometime.

Just finished the last episode of season 4. I'm completely speachless.Interesting note: Nina Noble, one of the main producers on the show, is a friend of my dad's. I remember going to dinner with her and her husband a few times when I lived in Wilmington, NC (maybe ten years ago or so) and hearing them talk about a show that they were working on and really exited about, called The Corner. I remember being not too interested in those conversations (everybody and there brother is "working on a show" in Wilmington). Now I am kicking myself for not paying much attention. I'm going to get up with my dad now, and see if I can set up a lunch or dinner with her sometime.
wow thats crazy. let us know how it goes if it happens

The Bunk is my favorite character. A man's got ta have a code.
The great thing about the show... is I cant seem to find a favorite. They are all so damn good in their roles. Is talking about Episode 52 out of the question in this thread??
Probably, since everyone doesn't have the On Demand feature. But I thought it was a decent episode, and loved when Marlo went to visit the prison.Use spoiler tags.

I was :yawn: when they strapped that kid to the copy machine and told him it was a lie detector.So glad this is back on
seriously i think bunk is one of the most overlooked characters on this show. it was jokes when they had the other kid walk across with the mcdonalds. :missing:
My two favorite Bunk moments, both from season one:1) Passing out drunk in that chick's bathtub and having McNulty pick him up.2) Him and McNulty using the F word to analyze the scene where the chick was shotThere are a ton more, but I love those two. Looking forward to catching up on both of the first two episodes this weekend.

I was :yawn: when they strapped that kid to the copy machine and told him it was a lie detector.So glad this is back on
seriously i think bunk is one of the most overlooked characters on this show. it was jokes when they had the other kid walk across with the mcdonalds. :missing:
My two favorite Bunk moments, both from season one:1) Passing out drunk in that chick's bathtub and having McNulty pick him up.2) Him and McNulty using the F word to analyze the scene where the chick was shotThere are a ton more, but I love those two. Looking forward to catching up on both of the first two episodes this weekend.
Good call. I especially loved #2. Things like that hooked me on the show. That scene was really well done.

Just finished the last episode of season 4. I'm completely speachless.Interesting note: Nina Noble, one of the main producers on the show, is a friend of my dad's. I remember going to dinner with her and her husband a few times when I lived in Wilmington, NC (maybe ten years ago or so) and hearing them talk about a show that they were working on and really exited about, called The Corner. I remember being not too interested in those conversations (everybody and there brother is "working on a show" in Wilmington). Now I am kicking myself for not paying much attention. I'm going to get up with my dad now, and see if I can set up a lunch or dinner with her sometime.
Anyone seen "The Corner?" How does it compare to "The Wire"?As I recall that was a one-of mini series unrelated to any of the characters in The Wire, but was based on a book by the same folks involved in The Wire.

Anyone seen "The Corner?" How does it compare to "The Wire"?As I recall that was a one-of mini series unrelated to any of the characters in The Wire, but was based on a book by the same folks involved in The Wire.
Yeah, I've never seen it. I will try and add it to my netflix queue. Don't know much about it. Figured it was the genesis for the Wire.

I've seen "The Corner" and it's very good. Compelling storytelling coupled with fantastic acting. I find it along the same lines of the secondary storylines found in "The Wire". Nothing too flashy but moments that register.

I've seen "The Corner" and it's very good. Compelling storytelling coupled with fantastic acting. I find it along the same lines of the secondary storylines found in "The Wire". Nothing too flashy but moments that register.
its great. some of micheal, cutty, and bubs story arcs remind me of the corner

exactly. some of the most satisfying moments in "The Wire" are maybe the most authentic feeling. little moments really. "The Corner" feels that way much of the time. it's serious but never grim.

I don't get how people can love this show and think Season 2 sucked. Some of the best characters of any season of this show were in Season 2. I think some people here are getting too wrapped up in the fact that this show has portrayed the urban element in such a unique and engrossing fashion that they're starting to think the show is supposed to mainly be about the street. It's not. It's about the entire city. Yes, the street characters are fascinating, but they're just a part of the whole picture.
Season 2 did introduce some great characters and important plot lines, but it is easily the worst season nonetheless. Stylistically, it just seems out of sync with the rest of the show at times. I'm thinking, for example, of the scene where Daniels and his wife are having dinner, and it is continually cut back to Kima having dinner with her wife (both wives are annoyed at the cop in question). Just a bit cutesy. Generally speaking, it seemed like they were trying to go more mainstream in season 2.Seasons 1, 3, 4 >> Season 2 >>>>>>>>>>>> anything else on television.Season 5 is looking great. Can't believe only nine more episodes :thumbup:
Agree - Loved season 1 and actually stopped watching entirely in season 2 until I re-discovered it later on

Fiddles said:
saintfool said:
Marc Levin said:
True. The only difference to me is that The Corner just seemed to stay on the depressive side the whole time, whereas The Wire gives it to you in doses while touching other storylines.

Fiddles said:
saintfool said:
Marc Levin said:
True. The only difference to me is that The Corner just seemed to stay on the depressive side the whole time, whereas The Wire gives it to you in doses while touching other storylines.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. The above assessment was my impression of it as well - that it was more story of the whys of someone becoming a drug dealer than the action involved in it.Will definitely check it out, but probably not until the Wire is spent. I just read on Wiki that this last season is only 10 episodes??? Is that accurate??

Users who are viewing this thread