What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (4 Viewers)

Going to be starting a third rewatch and I got the wife on board this time. Not sure how well that would go but I don't care. I'll keep going if she decides to bail on it.

Last time I tried this she bailed about 3 episodes in... gave me the "I don't like cop shows...".

It's NOT a cop show!

I'm gearing up for another run, and still trying to get her on board to commit to all of season 1. I'm confident she'd love this show if she truly gave it a shot.
My wife likes some cop shows. We loved The Shield. I just think this will be too slow for her and she'll say there isn't enough action.

Reactions: jwb
Going to be starting a third rewatch and I got the wife on board this time. Not sure how well that would go but I don't care. I'll keep going if she decides to bail on it.

Last time I tried this she bailed about 3 episodes in... gave me the "I don't like cop shows...".

It's NOT a cop show!

I'm gearing up for another run, and still trying to get her on board to commit to all of season 1. I'm confident she'd love this show if she truly gave it a shot.
My wife likes some cop shows. We loved The Shield. I just think this will be too slow for her and she'll say there isn't enough action.

Slow burns like this are often a tough sell. "Babe, you gotta wait til Season 3 when it really picks up." I'm not sure if a show like this could survive in today's age of instant gratification.

• Laughing

It's NOT a cop show!

Yea, The Shield was great, and it was definitely easier to get into early.

Slow burns like this are often a tough sell. "Babe, you gotta wait til Season 3 when it really picks up." I'm not sure if a show like this could survive in today's age of instant gratification.

True that. For this one, I think you have to give it until Lester proves himself. I think it's the McNulty/Bunk @#$% episode. 4 or 5. My wife bailed before that.

It's NOT a cop show!

True that. For this one, I think you have to give it until Lester proves himself. I think it's the McNulty/Bunk @#$% episode. 4 or 5. My wife bailed before that.
I think it was the 4th episode that hooked me the first time.

It's NOT a cop show!

I think that was the scene that really drew me in

Direct Headline: 'THE WIRE' STAR LANCE REDDICK DEAD AT 60

TMZ 3/17/2023 11:47 AM PT

Lance Reddick, famous for his work on HBO's "The Wire" and the "John Wick" movie franchise has died ... TMZ has learned....Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Lance's body was discovered at his Studio City home Friday morning around 9:30 AM. His cause of death is currently unclear, but our law enforcement sources say it appears to be natural....

....Lance had been doing a press tour for the fourth installment of the 'John Wick' franchise -- he plays Charon in the movie -- and had a guest appearance scheduled for next week on Kelly Clarkson's show....Lance posted a selfie video on social media Wednesday morning, appearing to be at home with his dogs instead of attending the 'Wick 4' premiere in New York City ... though he never mentioned why he wasn't going to the premiere.....

....Before his work on 'Wick,' Lance was best known for playing fictional Baltimore Police Department officer Cedrick Daniels on the hit HBO series "The Wire" ... with his character appearing in all five seasons....Lance also had recurring roles on a bunch of popular TV shows ... including "Fringe," "Bosch," "Oz" and "Lost."....Lance has some unreleased projects in the works ... he plays the Greek god Zeus in the upcoming Disney+ series, "Percy Jackson and the Olympians."

....Born and raised in Baltimore, Lance earned a music degree from the University of Rochester and he got his MFA from Yale....Lance was 60.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/03/17/the-wire-star-lance-reddick-dead-dies/

"A very odd thing happened to my career when I got The Wire. My career was pretty much a steady climb; I didn't really flatline much. When I did The Wire, that's when I thought all the doors would open, but that's when things flatlined. I had a really hard time just getting seen for film, which was the next step."

- Lance Reddick

“You show loyalty, they learn loyalty. You show them it’s about the work, it’ll be about the work. You show them it’s about some other kind of game, then that’s the game they’ll play.”

Rest in peace, Lt Daniels.

I read a nice story of Keanu seeking out Lance to give him a note that said how much he appreciated him.

I really need to watch this. It's been on my list for a long time but shinier new shows keep pulling my attention away.

My life is broken into two calendar periods:
1) before seeing The Wire
2) after seeing The Wire

I wish that I could go back in time and watch it again as if for the first time, with fresh eyes.
To each his own. I hadn't watched The Wire before, but after years of hearing SO MANY PEOPLE make it out to be the best show in the history of history and a life altering experience, when I finally watched it, it was so overhyped that it couldn't match my inflated expectations. I enjoyed it. It was a good to very good show IMO. But it's not in my pantheon of sacred, must watch, in the conversation for best shows ever. It's not a show I would recommend to people I know when they are looking for something to watch. (I know what they generally like, and I doubt they would like it.) I'm glad I finally got to watch it and now understand when people discuss it. Glad you think it's one of the best ever (if not the best). It just didn't strike me at that level.

It's NOT a cop show!

It barely survived in its own time. Anywhere other than HBO and it never would have had a chance

2) after seeing The Wire

I wish that I could go back in time and watch it again as if for the first time, with fresh eyes.
To each his own. I hadn't watched The Wire before, but after years of hearing SO MANY PEOPLE make it out to be the best show in the history of history and a life altering experience, when I finally watched it, it was so overhyped that it couldn't match my inflated expectations. I enjoyed it. It was a good to very good show IMO. But it's not in my pantheon of sacred, must watch, in the conversation for best shows ever. It's not a show I would recommend to people I know when they are looking for something to watch. (I know what they generally like, and I doubt they would like it.) I'm glad I finally got to watch it and now understand when people discuss it. Glad you think it's one of the best ever (if not the best). It just didn't strike me at that level.
Well, in fairness it isn’t as good as Cheers…..

I really need to watch this. It's been on my list for a long time but shinier new shows keep pulling my attention away.
2) after seeing The Wire

Yeah I have two episodes left in like my fifth re-watch.

I'd pay some serious coin to have my memory of the show erased so that I could watch it fresh again. But, it remains very rewatchable for me.

2) after seeing The Wire

This is how I feel about Breaking Bad

2) after seeing The Wire

Just started watching it……for the first time. It came out the year my twin kids were born. Missed the whole series.

2) after seeing The Wire

Just started watching it……for the first time. It came out the year my twin kids were born. Missed the whole series.
jealous

Users who are viewing this thread