What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

The Ringer started a re-watch podcast last week that's really entertaining. They seem to go through an episode every couple of days. 

A piece of trivia that seems shocking to me, but makes sense........only one police ever fired a gun during the entire series. And of course, it was Prez, who fired a gun 3 times (not counting shooting up his own car that we never saw). 
Nice. Sounds like a must listen.

The Ringer started a re-watch podcast last week that's really entertaining. They seem to go through an episode every couple of days. 

A piece of trivia that seems shocking to me, but makes sense........only one police ever fired a gun during the entire series. And of course, it was Prez, who fired a gun 3 times (not counting shooting up his own car that we never saw). 

Is this hosted by Jemele hill?
was initially not interested due to Jemele, but finally broke down and tried the first ep and it was actually pretty good.

I never knew that John C. Reilly was the first choice for McNulty.

I think the first watch most people forget about season 2(i definitely did).  Upon second watch it was much better.  really sets the stage for the remainder of the series. 

I think the first watch most people forget about season 2(i definitely did).  Upon second watch it was much better.  really sets the stage for the remainder of the series. 
With each re-watch, it gets better. To the point now that it seems silly to me that I ever didn't like it as much as the others.

It's every bit as brilliant as the rest of the series. It's jarring on the first viewing coming right after Season 1. Season 1 may very well be the best 1st season any show ever had. So, as a viewer, you want/expect "more of that".  The viewer doesn't really know what to expect season to season, at this point. The viewer still doesn't know the bigger picture approach of the show, or to trust them they lead down a different path. 

By contrast, I think Season 4 would've been jarring to the viewer if it came on the heels of Season 1. It's a season completely without the Barksdales and essentially no McNulty. But by that point the viewer is better "trained", I think.

Anyway, I love it. And I always get a kick out of the entire season only happening because Valchek was pissed about a donation for a church mural. 

Thanks, I kind of remember that but have no idea who Rawls is.
He was McNulty’s real sweet heart of a boss and who put McNulty on the docks to begin with. I believe McNulty got seasick easily. However, McNulty got his revenge on technicality by pointing out the dead women were in Rawls jurisdiction.

Topic 2: - Slim Charles was underrated 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_opC16d4ciY

Guy was underrated and underused. He was a soldier. An Avon soldier, and then a Prop Joe Soldier and finally a bit of a Marlo Soldier. Most people forget, he was the one who shot Cheese in the head for diming on Prop Joe. He was always at the top of the hierarchy in any organization he sat in. THE muscle on the show. Partlow was a killer, not muscle.  Slim Charles was The Queen's Guard for Avon and Fat Joe. He had an amazing scene with Omar where he was prepared to get killed but saved Prop Joe from Omar's redemption by telling the truth. He shot cheese's head off for giving up Joe. If there ever was a Queens Guard in this show, slim Charles was it. He showed loyalty and intelligence always (he masterminded the failed planned to go at Marlo in season 3).

He was the most respectful gangster on the land and what's why my topic is that he was underrated.

He also had the best voice on the show and towered over anyone he was in the scene with standing at 6 foot 5 IRL. 

From Wikipedia 

Best Quote: "On a sunday morning ya'll try to hit a ##### when he's takin' his wrinkled ### grandmas to pray? And ya'll don't hit the ##### neither? All ya'll kill is grandma's crown? Ain't enough ya'll done violated the sunday morning truce. NO! I'm standin' here holdin' a torn up church crown of a bonafide colored lady. Ya'll know what a colored lady is? Not yo moms fo sho. Cuz if they was that, ya'll woulda known a lot better than that bull ####. Ya'll trifling with Avon Barksdale's reputation here. You know that?"

Next Up: Why Season 2 was necessary and still amazing 
This commentary series didn't last long...

With each re-watch, it gets better. To the point now that it seems silly to me that I ever didn't like it as much as the others.

It's every bit as brilliant as the rest of the series. It's jarring on the first viewing coming right after Season 1. Season 1 may very well be the best 1st season any show ever had. So, as a viewer, you want/expect "more of that".  The viewer doesn't really know what to expect season to season, at this point. The viewer still doesn't know the bigger picture approach of the show, or to trust them they lead down a different path. 

By contrast, I think Season 4 would've been jarring to the viewer if it came on the heels of Season 1. It's a season completely without the Barksdales and essentially no McNulty. But by that point the viewer is better "trained", I think.

Anyway, I love it. And I always get a kick out of the entire season only happening because Valchek was pissed about a donation for a church mural. 
I actually started with season 4.  Watched it in full and then went back to 1.  Weird way to watch but still good.

Season two became my favorite upon second re-watch. My clear favorite now (I'm on 4th re-watch). 

Not sure if anybody here is watching “Bosch” on Amazon Prime but Jaime Hector (Marlo Stanfield) plays Harry Bosch’s partner, J. Edgar,  on the show,.

There’s a scene where J. Edgar’s lieutenant  is frustrated with him because time is running out on a wire tap warrant they have on a suspect.  The LT tells him “There’s a clock on this wire.” 

Just did my 4th re-watch of season two, and I've realize I'm still not totally understanding the FBI guy. Any help here?

So we learn that FBI Agent Kourtris is feeding information to the Greek. He does so to the extent that he tells The Greek that Frank Sobotka had a scheduled free talk with law enforcement - which Koutris had to know would cause The Greek to take action possibly up to murder. I deduce from this that Agent Koutris is willing to go to great lengths to protect The Greek. What I'm uncertain of is why. It's implied near the end of the season by Fitzhugh I think that The Greek is a source to the FBI for counterterrorism, but if that's the sole motivation (and possibly some thanks for the huge drug best that The Greek fed to Koutris) I find it hard to believe a career FBI agent would knowingly put another man in grave danger solely to protect a source. 

Was there something I missed here? Did Koutris and The Greek go way back? Was Koutris on the take? 

Just did my 4th re-watch of season two, and I've realize I'm still not totally understanding the FBI guy. Any help here?

So we learn that FBI Agent Kourtris is feeding information to the Greek. He does so to the extent that he tells The Greek that Frank Sobotka had a scheduled free talk with law enforcement - which Koutris had to know would cause The Greek to take action possibly up to murder. I deduce from this that Agent Koutris is willing to go to great lengths to protect The Greek. What I'm uncertain of is why. It's implied near the end of the season by Fitzhugh I think that The Greek is a source to the FBI for counterterrorism, but if that's the sole motivation (and possibly some thanks for the huge drug best that The Greek fed to Koutris) I find it hard to believe a career FBI agent would knowingly put another man in grave danger solely to protect a source. 

Was there something I missed here? Did Koutris and The Greek go way back? Was Koutris on the take? 
Pretty sure it’s yes to one or both of your final questions, as well as the fact that the Greek can also provide information on a lot of nefarious ####, which is useful for the bureau.

Pretty sure it’s yes to one or both of your final questions, as well as the fact that the Greek can also provide information on a lot of nefarious ####, which is useful for the bureau.
Yeah I think I'm pretty sure too but just was wondering if it had been confirmed somehow in a way that I missed. Google doesn't suggest anything concrete either. 

So I suppose it's just written and shown this way by the writers to sort of be consistent with the mystery that is The Greek and help explain that there are bigger things than what is happening in Baltimore. 

Yeah I think I'm pretty sure too but just was wondering if it had been confirmed somehow in a way that I missed. Google doesn't suggest anything concrete either. 

So I suppose it's just written and shown this way by the writers to sort of be consistent with the mystery that is The Greek and help explain that there are bigger things than what is happening in Baltimore. 
Yes, especially when you consider that they usually don’t put subtitles when the Greek speaks.  They are just way up in the system and people on both sides Of the law are more or less above the law.  The institutions and systems will always win and the low hanging fruit will always suffer the brunt of it all.

14 girls are dead, Franks dead, ziggys Locked up, the rest of the union can go pound sand.  But Spiros and the Greek, they in the wind, with their systemic connections helping them get away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished the series, fantastic overall.  IMO, feel like there was some meat left on the bone and they could have produced another high quality season or two.

Just finished the series, fantastic overall. IMO, feel like there was some meat left on the bone and they could have produced another high quality season or two.
Yeah but the five seasons are so ****ing perfect, and it sucks because I can only do re-watch after re-watch, but I think I'm good with them stopping where they did and not further messing with what it a television masterpiece.

Five seasons was the perfect stopping place for the Wire, the fifth one had a fair bit of a drop off from previous (although I wasn't a huge fan of season two). Probably due a rewatch of this soon

Five seasons was the perfect stopping place for the Wire, the fifth one had a fair bit of a drop off from previous (although I wasn't a huge fan of season two). Probably due a rewatch of this soon
Watch season two again. It grows on you after a couple of re-watches and I think it's my favorite season now other than season one (Ziggy is like the Jar Jar Binks of the season, unfortunately).

Watch season two again. It grows on you after a couple of re-watches and I think it's my favorite season now other than season one (Ziggy is like the Jar Jar Binks of the season, unfortunately).
I did a rewatch late last year and season 2 worked a lot better in a binge setting. The whole show is so good.

I started watching We Own This City. Although well executed, it doesn't hit even close to as well as The Wire.

Agreed. Season 5 is definitely the worst although they stuck the landing with the finale.

As others have stated, Season 2 holds up well on rewatches. The story makes much more sense and you'll notice a lot of important details you missed the first time around.

Going to be starting a third rewatch and I got the wife on board this time. Not sure how well that would go but I don't care. I'll keep going if she decides to bail on it.

On my fifth re-watch. In season one, episode 8 I realized for the first time that Omar was clued into Orlando's being their home base from the storyboard in the CID office. I never noticed that before.

Freakin' love this show. All the pieces matter.

I did a rewatch late last year and season 2 worked a lot better in a binge setting. The whole show is so good.

I started watching We Own This City. Although well executed, it doesn't hit even close to as well as The Wire.
It was cool to see a lot of the Wire actors in new roles in We Own This City. A little disorientating seeing "Marlo" as a detective.

Going to be starting a third rewatch and I got the wife on board this time. Not sure how well that would go but I don't care. I'll keep going if she decides to bail on it.

Last time I tried this she bailed about 3 episodes in... gave me the "I don't like cop shows...".

It's NOT a cop show!

I'm gearing up for another run, and still trying to get her on board to commit to all of season 1. I'm confident she'd love this show if she truly gave it a shot.

It was cool to see a lot of the Wire actors in new roles in We Own This City. A little disorientating seeing "Marlo" as a detective.
Same thoughts I had starting Bosch. Lots of The Wire carryover there, too.

Same thoughts I had starting Bosch. Lots of The Wire carryover there, too.
Daniels really parlayed his brief stint as Baltimore Police Chief into a much better gig in LA.

Users who are viewing this thread