What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (10 Viewers)

By the way, to everyone who was holding out on buying Jonathan Stewart- it is now officially too late.

So, I think the book is now closed on the Ricky Williams debate. Trading quality young prospects for a shot at glory only pays off if you actually achieve glory, and I can't imagine anyone was too thrilled with his 61 combined yards (and no scores) in the superbowl.
He got hurt, bro. This is not vindication for you. Lex Hilliard had about 20 points in his absence. If you traded Greene for Kevin Smith, you'd probably be more :D right now
It's definitely vindication for me, because one of my four points was that Williams could get hurt. When you're counting on an RB for 3 games, and he misses one of those, he just lost 33% of his total remaining lifetime value in one second. A rolled ankle or a tweaked hamstring or a major cramp suddenly becomes as devastating to Ricky's value as it would be for an RB with 6 years left in him to suffer not one but TWO major season-ending injuries in week 1 games. Also, for the record, I don't know what you mean when you say that Hilliard had about 20 points in his absence. Lex Hilliard had 3 carries for 12 yards today. Lousaka Polite had another 2 carries for 3 yards. Neither chipped in a reception. Even if you add in Hilliard's TD, that's a grand total of 7.5 fantasy points posted by RBs other than Ricky Williams, a pretty far cry from "about 20 points in his absence".
I'm not arguing your main point, but Hilliard went 3 for 12 and a TD on the ground and had 9 catches for 74 yards and TD. That's 29.6 points in a PPR league. Where are you getting your stats?

Also, for the record, I don't know what you mean when you say that Hilliard had about 20 points in his absence. Lex Hilliard had 3 carries for 12 yards today. Lousaka Polite had another 2 carries for 3 yards. Neither chipped in a reception. Even if you add in Hilliard's TD, that's a grand total of 7.5 fantasy points posted by RBs other than Ricky Williams, a pretty far cry from "about 20 points in his absence".
12 yards rushing74 yards receiving2 touchdowns20.6 points in most leagues...

Also, for the record, I don't know what you mean when you say that Hilliard had about 20 points in his absence. Lex Hilliard had 3 carries for 12 yards today. Lousaka Polite had another 2 carries for 3 yards. Neither chipped in a reception. Even if you add in Hilliard's TD, that's a grand total of 7.5 fantasy points posted by RBs other than Ricky Williams, a pretty far cry from "about 20 points in his absence".
Yep, plus 9 pts for receptions in PPR. SSOG usually brings it but that paragraph makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't you count the TD? Plus he missed all the receiving stats. Weird.

Yep, plus 9 pts for receptions in PPR. SSOG usually brings it but that paragraph makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't you count the TD? Plus he missed all the receiving stats. Weird.
SSOG, usually solid in his analysis also conveniently left out the fact that if you snagged Ricky for your playoffs (typically weeks 14 & 15) - he had the exact type of production you were paying for in that time span - with 16+ fantasy points in each game in standard scoring leagues. :lol:If your league (like most) pays a decent chunk to 2nd place, you probably at least got that $ for Ricky.

SSOG, usually solid in his analysis also conveniently left out the fact that if you snagged Ricky for your playoffs (typically weeks 14 & 15) - he had the exact type of production you were paying for in that time span - with 16+ fantasy points in each game in standard scoring leagues. :thumbup:If your league (like most) pays a decent chunk to 2nd place, you probably at least got that $ for Ricky.
:goodposting: Also...those that traded for Williams and made the Super Bowl still could have won despite what he did.

Shonn Greene should be on everyones radar now. I know many on here liked him. But, he is usually compared to a Rudi Johnson clone and I thought yesterday showed he could be a little better than that. He looked capable of really piling up yards. Broke several tackles and looked pretty impressive. He is the type of back that will do better with more carries. An injury to Jones could vault him into a RB1 status?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ield-highlights

The very first play it shows you see power, vision, and more speed than he gets credit for most of the time.

I think he has quite a bit of potential for next year.

Shonn Greene should be on everyones radar now. I know many on here liked him. But, he is usually compared to a Rudi Johnson clone and I thought yesterday showed he could be a little better than that. He looked capable of really piling up yards. Broke several tackles and looked pretty impressive. He is the type of back that will do better with more carries. An injury to Jones could vault him into a RB1 status?

The very first play it shows you see power, vision, and more speed than he gets credit for most of the time.

Not a Jets fan, but live in NY so get to see a decent amount of their games. Aside from the fumbles the kid looks good. One thing I don't like though is that it seems to me he gets nicked up a decent amount for a guy getting backup carries.

I am cursed to be in Raider's viewing area and had to watch that whole abysmal game between Oakland and Cleveland yesterday. I did get to see the following:

1) Harrison looked good again. It was another weak defense but still--for a small guy he breaks arm tackles with consistency and showed good vision and quicks.

2) M. Bush looked good again. Tom Cable has to go. The guy is a moron.

3) Schillens is looking good to me and also L. Murphy. Miller is a legit top 5 TE if Oakland can have even an average QB next year. The Raider's receivers (if they keep DHB out) is good enough and they are young with lots of upside.

4) Cleveland needs a QB--Anderson still sucks and Quinn sucks.

thriftyrocker said:
SSOG said:
So, I think the book is now closed on the Ricky Williams debate. Trading quality young prospects for a shot at glory only pays off if you actually achieve glory, and I can't imagine anyone was too thrilled with his 61 combined yards (and no scores) in the superbowl.
He got hurt, bro. This is not vindication for you. Lex Hilliard had about 20 points in his absence. If you traded Greene for Kevin Smith, you'd probably be more :thumbup: right now
Is Lex Hilliard worth a grab? he is availableSomeone a few pages back said Lex is worth much is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:
thriftyrocker said:
SSOG said:
He got hurt, bro. This is not vindication for you. Lex Hilliard had about 20 points in his absence. If you traded Greene for Kevin Smith, you'd probably be more :hot: right now
Is Lex Hilliard worth a grab? he is availableSomeone a few pages back said Lex is worth much is that true?
It depends on who you are dropping for him. I stashed him in one league.

benm3218 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for TJ to get hurt. Anything is possible, but he has been remarkably durable and consistent for several straight seasons. Assuming he comes back for another year...when he is healthy, Greene will be limited. But the longer term upside is certainly there.

SSOG said:
By the way, to everyone who was holding out on buying Jonathan Stewart- it is now officially too late.
The opportunity to buy Stewart was this summer when a shroud of mystery surrounded his ankle. Once the season started and it became clear he was OK, all Stewart owners went back to hanging onto him at proper value and that's as a top 5 back in waiting. I doubt this past weekend against the Giants came as a surprise to any Stewart owners.

As a DeSean Jackson owner I am curious how the experts in here view his '09 campaign. With one game left in the regular season he has posted the following numbers: 60 rec, 1120 rec yds, 9 rec TD. 10 rushes for 131 yds and 1 TD as well as 2 return TDs. This is including a game missed after leaving the Redskins game with a concussion. In my non PPR league he currently ranks 3rd among all receivers in total FF points, including his 2 return TDs.

What is his value right now at only 23 years of age and over 120 career catches for 2000+ receiving yards and 11 rec TDs in just 2 seasons (1 game missed due to injury)? How much better can he get, both for real time NFL purposes as well as (dynasty) FF production.

Has he already reached his ceiling?

TIA.

That's on me. I was looking through the play-by-play data to see what came before the injury and what came after, but I was mistakenly searching for Polite, not Hilliard. :)
SSOG, usually solid in his analysis also conveniently left out the fact that if you snagged Ricky for your playoffs (typically weeks 14 & 15) - he had the exact type of production you were paying for in that time span - with 16+ fantasy points in each game in standard scoring leagues. :PIf your league (like most) pays a decent chunk to 2nd place, you probably at least got that $ for Ricky.
I didn't leave it out. First off, I don't play in money leagues, so everything I do is about maximizing my chances of finishing #1, not #2. Despite that though, I mentioned that Williams had very good-but-not-great production in the previous two weeks (17.5 and 14.9 points). I also mentioned that it would have been possible for someone to have won a league that they wouldn't have won without Ricky (if their other studs had bad games in week 14 and 15 but good games in week 16, for instance).At the end of the day, Ricky Williams was the 15th best RB in standard scoring leagues over the last 3 weeks, and if you double-weight the superbowl, he falls to 19th. He was not a winning investment. I went through both of my leagues and looked at every single playoff game, and you know what? There wasn't a single game in either league that would have had a different outcome had one team or another replaced their RB2 with Ricky Williams. People were trading a valuable dynasty asset for production over a 3-game sample that didn't materialize.
I stashed him when Brown went down because there was uncertainty in the backfield, and where there's uncertainty, there's almost always value (you just have to know which side the value falls on). I dropped him before last week because it was abundantly obvious that Miami doesn't think there's any chance that he's the answer. Despite 32-year old Ricky being the only other healthy RB on the team, they refused to give Hilliard any work if at all possible. In the past 6 games, he's had 4, 5, 5, 2, 3, and 3 carries. I have very low expectations, but you could always stash him and see how the Miami backfield situation shakes out over the offseason.

As a DeSean Jackson owner I am curious how the experts in here view his '09 campaign. With one game left in the regular season he has posted the following numbers: 60 rec, 1120 rec yds, 9 rec TD. 10 rushes for 131 yds and 1 TD as well as 2 return TDs. This is including a game missed after leaving the Redskins game with a concussion. In my non PPR league he currently ranks 3rd among all receivers in total FF points, including his 2 return TDs.What is his value right now at only 23 years of age and over 120 career catches for 2000+ receiving yards and 11 rec TDs in just 2 seasons (1 game missed due to injury)? How much better can he get, both for real time NFL purposes as well as (dynasty) FF production.Has he already reached his ceiling?TIA.
I think he may be close to his ceiling, but his ceiling is top 5. That's a pretty darn good ceiling. He is one of the most explosive players in the league. A threat to score every time he touches the ball from anywhere on the field. I wouldn't trade him unless I was getting a lot back in return. I do think he'll be somewhat limited in ppr leagues, but his penchant for blowing up makes him invaluable.

As a DeSean Jackson owner I am curious how the experts in here view his '09 campaign. With one game left in the regular season he has posted the following numbers: 60 rec, 1120 rec yds, 9 rec TD. 10 rushes for 131 yds and 1 TD as well as 2 return TDs. This is including a game missed after leaving the Redskins game with a concussion. In my non PPR league he currently ranks 3rd among all receivers in total FF points, including his 2 return TDs.What is his value right now at only 23 years of age and over 120 career catches for 2000+ receiving yards and 11 rec TDs in just 2 seasons (1 game missed due to injury)? How much better can he get, both for real time NFL purposes as well as (dynasty) FF production.Has he already reached his ceiling?TIA.
I think he may be close to his ceiling, but his ceiling is top 5. That's a pretty darn good ceiling. He is one of the most explosive players in the league. A threat to score every time he touches the ball from anywhere on the field. I wouldn't trade him unless I was getting a lot back in return. I do think he'll be somewhat limited in ppr leagues, but his penchant for blowing up makes him invaluable.
I have him in a dynasty where it's non-ppr, but we do get bonus points for 100 yard games and longer TDs (+2 for TDs over 50 yards). He's a beast and I wouldn't trade him for anyone not named Calvin, Larry, or Andre.Edit: After thinking about it, I don't think I'd trade him for AJohnson.

I'll play the contrarian, here. He's playing a bit over his head right now. So far this season, he's set an NFL record for big plays, and he still has another game to go. NFL records are records for a reason, and I don't think he'll be able to repeat the number of long scores again for the rest of his career.With all of that said, Desean is an incredibly talented WR who I expect to post a lot of top 10 finishes going forward. I just don't think he's a top 5 dynasty guy. Fitz, Johnson, Johnson, and Moss all get force-fed the ball. So did Smiff until this season. I don't know if I think Desean's ever going to be the kind of guy who gets that kind of diet of targets, and without that steady diet I think this current production level is probably a once-or-twice a career type thing. With that said, again, he's an unbelievable talent and without question the best big-play guy in the league today, and I expect to see him doing a lot of good things for a long, long time to come. Top 10 dynasty WR? Yeah. Top 5? No. In addition to Fitz and the Johnsons, I'd rather have VJax, no question. I'd rather have Roddy and Wayne, too. I'd put Desean in a bucket with Colston, Crabtree, and Sidney Rice.

At the end of the day, Ricky Williams was the 15th best RB in standard scoring leagues over the last 3 weeks,
It's very selective to limit his value to those 3 weeks. It would have been just as relevant to start it at week 11, after the Ronnie injury happened. What is his ranking weeks 11-16? Unless you are 8-2 or 9-1, you are not a lock for the playoffs after week 10. You can't dismiss the stretch run, especially working under the assumption the team didn't have anyone as good as Ricky at RB2 during those first 10 weeks.At 4-5, I made a similar deal last year for an old RB just to try and get into the playoffs and do damage. I made it but didn't win. The player helped me little this year but it was still worth it to have a puncher's chance last year and a solid backup RB this year.On another note, let's all learn how to spell A-R-O-M-A-S-H-O-D-U

I'll play the contrarian, here. He's playing a bit over his head right now. So far this season, he's set an NFL record for big plays, and he still has another game to go. NFL records are records for a reason, and I don't think he'll be able to repeat the number of long scores again for the rest of his career.With all of that said, Desean is an incredibly talented WR who I expect to post a lot of top 10 finishes going forward. I just don't think he's a top 5 dynasty guy. Fitz, Johnson, Johnson, and Moss all get force-fed the ball. So did Smiff until this season. I don't know if I think Desean's ever going to be the kind of guy who gets that kind of diet of targets, and without that steady diet I think this current production level is probably a once-or-twice a career type thing. With that said, again, he's an unbelievable talent and without question the best big-play guy in the league today, and I expect to see him doing a lot of good things for a long, long time to come. Top 10 dynasty WR? Yeah. Top 5? No. In addition to Fitz and the Johnsons, I'd rather have VJax, no question. I'd rather have Roddy and Wayne, too. I'd put Desean in a bucket with Colston, Crabtree, and Sidney Rice.
This reminds me a lot of the arguments against DWill last year (though I guess they were right in some ways). My point is that Jackson has shown that he is a unique player, setting records in only his second year. Why use this against him and say there is no way he can keep it up? Give me a better argument about why he'll regress that isn't "nobody else has these types of seasons with any consistency." Here's two: injuries & maclin. DeSean can do some unbelievable things - but Maclin has great deep speed too and can do things DeSean cant (like go over the middle). Neither player has shown a knack scoring in the red zone but I think Maclin is more likely to develop here. And speaking of going over the middle, DJax is tough, but he gets knocked around a lot. Otherwise, I completely agree with your argument. I agree that he isn't a top 5 dynasty WR and I think top 10 is questionable if we are talking ppr. Fitzgerald, AJ, Marshall, Wayne and Roddy are ahead of him due to the shear volume of opportunities they get. Then there are guys like Austin, Jennings and VJax that are in equally talented offenses with younger QBs and will probably score TDs "easier" than Jackson. I'd put him in that tier, which is about where you had him too. Rice and Calvin are hanging around there, but QB concerns are looming.

You don't move him. You sit on him and hope the Bears improve their O-Line and coaching staff next season.
My plan exactly!The Bears have too much $$$$ and picks tied up in him to not fix the situation.The guy really needs a strong coaching staff to come in and work with him.I'm not sure Lovie is the guy to do it.
Games like tonight are why I hold onto this guy!The talent is there. He's still a headcase though.Having a WR over 5'8" in Aromashodu helps. They had good chemistry in preseason and he has finally gotten a chance.Here's to hoping that 2010 will be more like tonight rather than last week!

This reminds me a lot of the arguments against DWill last year (though I guess they were right in some ways). My point is that Jackson has shown that he is a unique player, setting records in only his second year. Why use this against him and say there is no way he can keep it up? Give me a better argument about why he'll regress that isn't "nobody else has these types of seasons with any consistency."
Greg Jennings. Similar players, similar breakouts, similar concerns. DJAX is more talented. More elusive. More speed. Mayb DJAX's build makes him more susceptible to injury. But you can't say that based on his injury history so far - one concussion.
Here's two: injuries & maclin. DeSean can do some unbelievable things - but Maclin has great deep speed too and can do things DeSean cant (like go over the middle). Neither player has shown a knack scoring in the red zone but I think Maclin is more likely to develop here. And speaking of going over the middle, DJax is tough, but he gets knocked around a lot.
DeSean has 2 RZ Tds the past 2 weeks. I don't think he can't. He hadn't this year before week 14, but I don't think he can't.Maclin had a huge week this week. Philly's offense is turning into pick your poison - I dare you to double one. The Eagles will continue to rely on big plays no matter who is QBing or who is catching.
Then there are guys like Austin, Jennings and VJax that are in equally talented offenses with younger QBs and will probably score TDs "easier" than Jackson.
Don't think Jennings is more of a RZ threat than Jackson. He is a less talented version of Jackson. What do you see in Jennings that makes him score TDs "easier"?

Just wanted to put into the Ricky Williams deal:

You don't include weeks like 11 because the point was trading for him for the playoffs, iirc. He probabl didn't do for you what others could have.

It is at this point that I'd like to go ahead and say you could have had Jerome Harrison way way cheaper and he DID win you your championship, period. Just, one player of possiby many

I don't see any similarity between Jennings and Jackson. It's like comparing Reggie Wayne to Santana Moss. Different animals.

Jackson is a great player, but I expect his TD totals to be pretty volatile from season to season because of his size. He's dependent on big plays for TDs whereas some of the bigger guys like Moss, Fitzgerald, and Rice can get to 10+ TDs pretty easily because they can win jump balls in the red zone. I think Jackson has probably hit his ceiling in FF and I would probably trade him if I could get someone like Calvin or Marshall, but he's a legit talent who should be a consistent top 20 guy for the duration of his prime.

It is at this point that I'd like to go ahead and say you could have had Jerome Harrison way way cheaper and he DID win you your championship, period. Just, one player of possiby many
Nobody traded for Jerome Harrison in Weeks 9-11 with an eye on this year's playoffs. In Weeks 6-8, he never had more than 5 carries. He sat out injured in Weeks 9-10. Meanwhile, Jamal Lewis was carrying the load, and Mangini elevated Chris Jennings over Harrison. Worse, I don't know of anyone who had Harrison active for his 286-yard, 3-TD effort because he was benched the week before. This is the worst kind of hindsight.

Unless you play in a best-ball format, Harrison wasn't in lineups Week 15's huge performance. Heading into that week, I'd say the majority viewed him as THIRD RB in the pecking order based on Week 14 [behind Jennings & Cribbs]Awful comparison in regards to Ricky Williams. FWIW I think Williams could have been had for a bit less than Shonne Greene in dynasty leagues [i.e. I'd put Williams dynasty value no higher than a mid 2nd round pick]

This reminds me a lot of the arguments against DWill last year (though I guess they were right in some ways). My point is that Jackson has shown that he is a unique player, setting records in only his second year. Why use this against him and say there is no way he can keep it up? Give me a better argument about why he'll regress that isn't "nobody else has these types of seasons with any consistency." Here's two: injuries & maclin. DeSean can do some unbelievable things - but Maclin has great deep speed too and can do things DeSean cant (like go over the middle). Neither player has shown a knack scoring in the red zone but I think Maclin is more likely to develop here. And speaking of going over the middle, DJax is tough, but he gets knocked around a lot. Otherwise, I completely agree with your argument. I agree that he isn't a top 5 dynasty WR and I think top 10 is questionable if we are talking ppr. Fitzgerald, AJ, Marshall, Wayne and Roddy are ahead of him due to the shear volume of opportunities they get. Then there are guys like Austin, Jennings and VJax that are in equally talented offenses with younger QBs and will probably score TDs "easier" than Jackson. I'd put him in that tier, which is about where you had him too. Rice and Calvin are hanging around there, but QB concerns are looming.
:goodposting: I don't think anyone doubts that he is a top 10 WR but I don't see him as a top 5 for all the reasons posted. I see him as a second tier guy.

It's very selective to limit his value to those 3 weeks. It would have been just as relevant to start it at week 11, after the Ronnie injury happened. What is his ranking weeks 11-16? Unless you are 8-2 or 9-1, you are not a lock for the playoffs after week 10. You can't dismiss the stretch run, especially working under the assumption the team didn't have anyone as good as Ricky at RB2 during those first 10 weeks.

At 4-5, I made a similar deal last year for an old RB just to try and get into the playoffs and do damage. I made it but didn't win. The player helped me little this year but it was still worth it to have a puncher's chance last year and a solid backup RB this year.

On another note, let's all learn how to spell A-R-O-M-A-S-H-O-D-U
At the end of the day, the entire Greene-for-Williams discussion centered around selling the future for a championship today. As a result, all that's really relevant is whether buying Ricky would have won you a championship today. Sure, the stretch run was nice and all, but I'd imagine that no one would trade a 1st round dynasty pick for Ricky Williams unless their playoff spot was already locked up, so I really don't think his performance from week 11-13 matters much, if at all.
This reminds me a lot of the arguments against DWill last year (though I guess they were right in some ways). My point is that Jackson has shown that he is a unique player, setting records in only his second year. Why use this against him and say there is no way he can keep it up? Give me a better argument about why he'll regress that isn't "nobody else has these types of seasons with any consistency."
Why? Personally, I think that's a pretty airtight argument right there. You mention DeAngelo Williams as some sort of counterpoint, but you're really just reinforcing my point. Williams had 20 TDs last year. This year he has seven. SEVEN! Yeah, Williams is still an awesome talent, but his TDs are way down because... everyone say it with me now... "nobody has those types of seasons with any consistency".Desean Jackson will in all likelihood never again approach 6 TDs of 60+ yards in a single season, or 8 TDs of 50+ yards, or 9 TDs of 48+ yards in a single season ever again. Why not? Because the NFL has been around for a long, long, long time, and there have been a lot of very, very talented WRs, and none of them have ever managed to do what Desean did this season, let alone do it with any regularity. Will he always be among the league leaders in long TDs? Absolutely- that's what he does. He might even manage to pull off a miracle season like this one once more before he retires. But you can't count on him having a season like this again. Just like Chris Johnson will likely never have 2000 yards and/or 6+ yards per carry ever again in his entire career. Or how Vernon Davis probably isn't putting up a dozen scores again anytime soon.

Can Desean still be a very valuable fantasy asset without replicating this year's success deep? Absolutely. In fact, I could see him possibly surpassing this season's fantasy totals if he continues to develop his short-to-intermediate game (which is not at all out of the question- remember, Jackson is only in his second year!). I'm just saying, don't see this year's success deep and take it for granted. This type of season comes along once a career.

Anyone have thoughts on buying the following RBs before the draft?

Charles - Could post huge numbers next year if he's the focus of the offense

McCoy - I figure Westbrook comes back but still a PPR stud on the horizon

Lynch - Talented but coaching change will make a big difference in his value

Maroney - Maybe a feature back after all

How do you compare their values to WRs and the 2010 first round picks? And what's the logic in trading for one of these players vs. drafting a rookie?

I'm thinking the Raven #2 RB will have some value in 2010. IMO Parmele will be the guy to own as the back up to Rice, basically the 2010+ version of McGahee. How do you guys feel, is McClain or Parmele the Raven back up to own as long as Willis is gone?

Fantasy DST's are hard to predict year to year but at this stage is it crazy to put the young upside of Houston over the Saints for 2010?

How do you compare their values to WRs and the 2010 first round picks? And what's the logic in trading for one of these players vs. drafting a rookie?
I like Lynch as a buy low right now considering his low value vs possible payoff, he is only 23 years old.

Charles is the only one with considerable upside in that group. id doubt they would fetch a 1.01/1.02 pick though i woud rather have wyer/mattews/spiller pending there team.

Why? Personally, I think that's a pretty airtight argument right there. You mention DeAngelo Williams as some sort of counterpoint, but you're really just reinforcing my point. Williams had 20 TDs last year. This year he has seven. SEVEN! Yeah, Williams is still an awesome talent, but his TDs are way down because... everyone say it with me now... "nobody has those types of seasons with any consistency".Desean Jackson will in all likelihood never again approach 6 TDs of 60+ yards in a single season, or 8 TDs of 50+ yards, or 9 TDs of 48+ yards in a single season ever again. Why not? Because the NFL has been around for a long, long, long time, and there have been a lot of very, very talented WRs, and none of them have ever managed to do what Desean did this season, let alone do it with any regularity. Will he always be among the league leaders in long TDs? Absolutely- that's what he does. He might even manage to pull off a miracle season like this one once more before he retires. But you can't count on him having a season like this again. like Chris Johnson will likely never have 2000 yards and/or 6+ yards per carry ever again in his entire career. Or how Vernon Davis probably isn't putting up a dozen scores again anytime soon.

Can Desean still be a very valuable fantasy asset without replicating this year's success deep? Absolutely. In fact, I could see him possibly surpassing this season's fantasy totals if he continues to develop his short-to-intermediate game (which is not at all out of the question- remember, Jackson is only in his second year!). I'm just saying, don't see this year's success deep and take it for granted. This type of season comes along once a career.
So would you trade Chris Johnson or Desean Jackson now? or DWill after his 2008 season? The logic is that any monster season is outlier and unlikely to be repeated, so the player's value is at the absolute highest. Basically, is an amazing season evidence of a player's great talent and therefore a reason to hold? Or a signal that value is the highest it will ever be for his career and therefore reason to sell?Examples: Priest Holmes 27, Shaun Alexander 28, LT 33, Moss 23, Manning 49, Brady 50. CJ's season should be in the same context. DeSean in 2009 and DWill in 2008 had great seasons, but not record breaking.

You would've done well selling most of these guys after the monster year. And Faulk after he set the record that CJ is now breaking, and DWill, too, as 20 TDs is probably the ceiling for his career.

But CJ and DSsean are different. Both are younger than most of these, and both have great talent and situation. For CJ, another 2k+ combined/12+ TD season is possible, but duplicating the sort of season he's having now is unlikely. DeSean certainly hasn't reached his ceiling. You could expect him to repeat or improve on 70/1200/10.

Why? Personally, I think that's a pretty airtight argument right there. You mention DeAngelo Williams as some sort of counterpoint, but you're really just reinforcing my point. Williams had 20 TDs last year. This year he has seven. SEVEN! Yeah, Williams is still an awesome talent, but his TDs are way down because... everyone say it with me now... "nobody has those types of seasons with any consistency".Desean Jackson will in all likelihood never again approach 6 TDs of 60+ yards in a single season, or 8 TDs of 50+ yards, or 9 TDs of 48+ yards in a single season ever again. Why not? Because the NFL has been around for a long, long, long time, and there have been a lot of very, very talented WRs, and none of them have ever managed to do what Desean did this season, let alone do it with any regularity. Will he always be among the league leaders in long TDs? Absolutely- that's what he does. He might even manage to pull off a miracle season like this one once more before he retires. But you can't count on him having a season like this again. like Chris Johnson will likely never have 2000 yards and/or 6+ yards per carry ever again in his entire career. Or how Vernon Davis probably isn't putting up a dozen scores again anytime soon.

So would you trade Chris Johnson or Desean Jackson now? or DWill after his 2008 season? The logic is that any monster season is outlier and unlikely to be repeated, so the player's value is at the absolute highest. Basically, is an amazing season evidence of a player's great talent and therefore a reason to hold? Or a signal that value is the highest it will ever be for his career and therefore reason to sell?Examples: Priest Holmes 27, Shaun Alexander 28, LT 33, Moss 23, Manning 49, Brady 50. CJ's season should be in the same context. DeSean in 2009 and DWill in 2008 had great seasons, but not record breaking.

You would've done well selling most of these guys after the monster year. And Faulk after he set the record that CJ is now breaking, and DWill, too, as 20 TDs is probably the ceiling for his career.

But CJ and DSsean are different. Both are younger than most of these, and both have great talent and situation. For CJ, another 2k+ combined/12+ TD season is possible, but duplicating the sort of season he's having now is unlikely. DeSean certainly hasn't reached his ceiling. You could expect him to repeat or improve on 70/1200/10.
OK, you decide Johnson will not match 2009 ever again. Fair enough. But is it unrealistic to expect him to have 1,600 yards and maybe another TD or two? Maybe more receptions for more yards? And, let's be honest: What are you trading him for? For Adrian Peterson? For MJD? One of those and something else?

I'm thinking the Raven #2 RB will have some value in 2010. IMO Parmele will be the guy to own as the back up to Rice, basically the 2010+ version of McGahee. How do you guys feel, is McClain or Parmele the Raven back up to own as long as Willis is gone?Fantasy DST's are hard to predict year to year but at this stage is it crazy to put the young upside of Houston over the Saints for 2010?
So are you saying Parleme would be the goal-line choice over Rice? I don't see that happening, especially since Rice proved at Rutgers that he was a goal-line stud. I could see McClain possibly sliding back over at the stripe, but I can't see Parmele doing it.I'd prefer the Texans D/ST to the Saints from 2010 on.

Charles has been great, but you're not going to get him at anything less than a stud price now.I've never been as high on McCoy as the consensus, and his inability to push Leonard Weaver to the side is bothersome to me. I think he's a timeshare back.

Lynch isn't all that talented. I wouldn't want to count on the new coaching staff liking him better than F-Jax, especially since Jackson has been better the past two seasons.

Maroney had his final chance to be "the man" in New England, I think, and he fumbled it away. He's a committee back with a fumbling problem, a checkered injury history, and a reputation for running east/west and dancing at the line.

Lynch - mid-to-late first (although at this point, you could get him for much cheaper)Charles - mid-to-late first

McCoy - mid-to-late first

Maroney - mid-to-late second.

They're listed in the order I'd rather buy, although I'm least sure about Charles- I could easily see moving him up or down after I do a bit more research on him.

I'm thinking the Raven #2 RB will have some value in 2010. IMO Parmele will be the guy to own as the back up to Rice, basically the 2010+ version of McGahee. How do you guys feel, is McClain or Parmele the Raven back up to own as long as Willis is gone?

Fantasy DST's are hard to predict year to year but at this stage is it crazy to put the young upside of Houston over the Saints for 2010?
I mentioned earlier in the thread that when I'm evaluating fantasy defenses, unless a team has a "decided schematic advantage" (i.e. Monte Kiffen, **** Lebeau, Jim Johnson, etc), all I'm looking at is how many young studs are there. Generally, elite fantasy defenses are the product of defensive studs playing out of their minds, so I'm trying to identify fantasy defenses with defensive studs who might soon start playing out of their minds. Houston's the PERFECT candidate- you've got Mario Williams, Brian Cushing, Demeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, Amobi Akoye... a lot of pedigree, a lot of production, a lot of upside. I could easily see Houston quickly becoming an "out of nowhere" top-10 fantasy defense.
So would you trade Chris Johnson or Desean Jackson now? or DWill after his 2008 season? The logic is that any monster season is outlier and unlikely to be repeated, so the player's value is at the absolute highest. Basically, is an amazing season evidence of a player's great talent and therefore a reason to hold? Or a signal that value is the highest it will ever be for his career and therefore reason to sell?

Examples: Priest Holmes 27, Shaun Alexander 28, LT 33, Moss 23, Manning 49, Brady 50. CJ's season should be in the same context. DeSean in 2009 and DWill in 2008 had great seasons, but not record breaking.

The fact that I don't expect CJ will ever rush for 2000 yards again doesn't mean I'd try to sell him right now unless I can find someone willing to pay as if they were expecting him to repeatedly rush for 2000 yards.

I have a question for you guys. If your Rookie/FA draft were next week.....Where do you project FA's like Jamal Charles, Malcolm Floyd, Brandon Gibson and Devin Aromashodu?

I have a question for you guys. If your Rookie/FA draft were next week.....Where do you project FA's like Jamal Charles, Malcolm Floyd, Brandon Gibson and Devin Aromashodu?
Depends on scoring system etc., but based on my experience in a league that does this and what I think of these guys:Charles would top 5, top 10 worst (I find people still like rookies more and there are legitimate concerns about Charles)Floyd - mid 2nd to 3rd (only slightly higher because he is the most familiar name of the WR)Gibson- late 2nd to someowhere in the 3rd (lots other young Wrs and serious QB/OL questions)Aromashodu- late 2nd to somewhere in the 3rd (The same as Gibson with an inconsistent QB versus unknown)

:goodposting: I don't think anyone doubts that he is a top 10 WR but I don't see him as a top 5 for all the reasons posted. I see him as a second tier guy.
:goodposting: s all around.I'm one of Maclin's biggest fans and in a year or two I believe he'll be the guy the defenses try to take out of the game more than DeSean while McNabb plays his impression of New England-lite - although DJ is closer to Welker than Maclin is to Moss, although perhaps they're more akin to Holt/Bruce? I honestly don't see Maclin as consistent as we'd like our top WRs to be but that's in large part because the defenses will key in on him, freeing up DJ. Among the young WRs, DeSean is right in tier two behind Calvin, right with Crabtree, Rice, CJ, Austin, and a few others - probably on top of that tier.

Depends on scoring system etc., but based on my experience in a league that does this and what I think of these guys:Charles would top 5, top 10 worst (I find people still like rookies more and there are legitimate concerns about Charles)Floyd - mid 2nd to 3rd (only slightly higher because he is the most familiar name of the WR)Gibson- late 2nd to someowhere in the 3rd (lots other young Wrs and serious QB/OL questions)Aromashodu- late 2nd to somewhere in the 3rd (The same as Gibson with an inconsistent QB versus unknown)
I'd have a hard time taking Charles over the top 4 RBs but in a RB heavy league he's probably right behind them. 5-7 depending on how your league values WRs. In the leagues I play in which the values are IMO better spread, I'm not sure I take Charles top 10. Depends how things shake out.Gibson I actually like somewhat as a late 2nd, the other two you can have unless they get into the 5th.

I'm one of Maclin's biggest fans and in a year or two I believe he'll be the guy the defenses try to take out of the game more than DeSean while McNabb plays his impression of New England-lite - although DJ is closer to Welker than Maclin is to Moss, although perhaps they're more akin to Holt/Bruce? I honestly don't see Maclin as consistent as we'd like our top WRs to be but that's in large part because the defenses will key in on him, freeing up DJ.

Among the young WRs, DeSean is right in tier two behind Calvin, right with Crabtree, Rice, CJ, Austin, and a few others - probably on top of that tier.
I agree in terms of tier 2. I'd also lump guys like Colston and R. White in that tier - boarderline #1s that for whatever reason (in Colston and DJax's cases, fluctuating chances game to game) don't see consistant #1 production (i.e. they're not "force fed" the ball the same way guys like Fitz, AJ, and Calvin usually are). I'd probably throw VJax in the #1 tier with Fitz, AJ and Calvin. I don't think I would include Crabtree in tier 2 yet though.Basically, the tier 2 guys can put up tier 1 numbers on any given week (see R. White this past week) - they just don't do it as consistantly as the tier 1 guys.

I'm one of Maclin's biggest fans and in a year or two I believe he'll be the guy the defenses try to take out of the game more than DeSean while McNabb plays his impression of New England-lite - although DJ is closer to Welker than Maclin is to Moss, although perhaps they're more akin to Holt/Bruce? I honestly don't see Maclin as consistent as we'd like our top WRs to be but that's in large part because the defenses will key in on him, freeing up DJ.

Among the young WRs, DeSean is right in tier two behind Calvin, right with Crabtree, Rice, CJ, Austin, and a few others - probably on top of that tier.
I agree in terms of tier 2. I'd also lump guys like Colston and R. White in that tier - boarderline #1s that for whatever reason (in Colston and DJax's cases, fluctuating chances game to game) don't see consistant #1 production (i.e. they're not "force fed" the ball the same way guys like Fitz, AJ, and Calvin usually are).
You mention White, but it bears mentioning that they throw to him constantly. He actually has more targets than Fitz on the season (157 to 146). White's problems stem from other issues, including the regression of the Atlanta OL and fewer deep balls.

OK, you decide Johnson will not match 2009 ever again. Fair enough. But is it unrealistic to expect him to have 1,600 yards and maybe another TD or two? Maybe more receptions for more yards? And, let's be honest: What are you trading him for? For Adrian Peterson? For MJD? One of those and something else?
I don't think he's saying sell CJ, rather he was just using him as an example of a guy that won't put up those near record breaking numbers again, because realistically people just don't do that.The difference between LT, Faulk, Alexander, Peyton, Brady, etc and DeSean Jackson is that even when you take away those record breaking statistics and bring them back down to their typical (still near league leading) range, you're still left with a stud. You take away Peyton's 48 TDs and bring them back down to 30, and he's still a stud. You take away LT's 31 TDs and bring them back down to 16, and he's still a stud. Etc. They have the other stats to supplement that.Jackson's "outlier" isn't a total TDs or total yards outlier like those guys, that is supplemented by other stats, and that even when brought down to just top 5 in the league still leaves him with great stats. His "outlier" is more akin to the TDs per reception outlier that came with guys like Lee Evans and Donte Stallworth early in their careers (and that comes with Robert Meachem right now, who is also a sell in my book).With DeSean, you're looking at a 1200/10 guy who needed to smash a record just to get to that. You take away his ridiculous number of long TDs (which WILL happen, you won't break the record every year) and bring them back down to even just "near the league lead", and what are you left with? Not much.That's not to say that Jackson can't develop into more consistent type guy who doesn't rely on those big plays, but that's something he's going to have to do no different than dozens of other WRs that haven't had record breaking long TD years to supplement what they lack in that department.Personally if I owned Jackson I would be in bigtime sell mode right now. I would not be in the least bit surprised if he ends up with a similar (but slightly better) career path to Lee Evans. A guy that might have two 1200 yard seasons over the course of 5 years, but puts up 700-800 yards in the other 3.

Just goes to show, as F&L and others I think have mentioned in this thread, how little rookie draft picks outside top 5/6 and even more so outside the first round are worth. Depending on your league size and roster requirements Floyd, Gibson, Aromashodu are nice stash and wait players, but they are all borderline waiver wire guys.

The difference between LT, Faulk, Alexander, Peyton, Brady, etc and DeSean Jackson is that even when you take away those record breaking statistics and bring them back down to their typical (still near league leading) range, you're still left with a stud. You take away Peyton's 48 TDs and bring them back down to 30, and he's still a stud. You take away LT's 31 TDs and bring them back down to 16, and he's still a stud. Etc. They have the other stats to supplement that.Jackson's "outlier" isn't a total TDs or total yards outlier like those guys, that is supplemented by other stats, and that even when brought down to just top 5 in the league still leaves him with great stats. His "outlier" is more akin to the TDs per reception outlier that came with guys like Lee Evans and Donte Stallworth early in their careers (and that comes with Robert Meachem right now, who is also a sell in my book).With DeSean, you're looking at a 1200/10 guy who needed to smash a record just to get to that. You take away his ridiculous number of long TDs (which WILL happen, you won't break the record every year) and bring them back down to even just "near the league lead", and what are you left with? Not much.That's not to say that Jackson can't develop into more consistent type guy who doesn't rely on those big plays, but that's something he's going to have to do no different than dozens of other WRs that haven't had record breaking long TD years to supplement what they lack in that department.Personally if I owned Jackson I would be in bigtime sell mode right now. I would not be in the least bit surprised if he ends up with a similar (but slightly better) career path to Lee Evans. A guy that might have two 1200 yard seasons over the course of 5 years, but puts up 700-800 yards in the other 3.
That is very :confused:

Just goes to show, as F&L and others I think have mentioned in this thread, how little rookie draft picks outside top 5/6 and even more so outside the first round are worth. Depending on your league size and roster requirements Floyd, Gibson, Aromashodu are nice stash and wait players, but they are all borderline waiver wire guys.
Essentially, most rookies are stash and wait players, so in many cases drafting a 2nd or 3rd year player (especially WR/TE) shortens the period of figuring out if you have something. In one league, I saw Garcon, Schilens and Celek go bewteen 26-31overall, around players like Gartrell Johnosn, Pat White. After that point there were a couple owner who found Johnny Know and Mike Wallace, but your were more likely to draft Bardeen or Peerman. The key is not just being able to rank the rookies, but also place their talent among the pool of all NFL guys.

If you want to project forward, I think it's important that you look behind the numbers and understand where they are coming from. The key point to understand here is that TDs are by far the most variable offensive stat from year to year, and as a result have the most impact in terms of up/down years. Let's look at LT's prime years from 2001-2007 as compared to his record-setting 2006 season. Except for the 100 year catch in 2003, he was pretty consistent with the receptions (as CJ has been so far), so let's focus on the rushing numbers. In other years, he averaged 342/1529/16.6; in 2006, he put up 349/1815/28 for 5.2 YPC. So, his total FPs (in non-PPR) were up 34%, but his carries were only up 2%, YPC up 16%, and rush yards up 18%. Where did most of those points come from? TDs, of course, which were 68% higher than his career average. Not only were the numbers up, the TDs per touch rate was up 55%... scoring once every 12 carries vs. a career average of once per 22 carries. To put this in perspective - in order to score 28 TDs at the rate he had the rest of his career, he would have had to have 634 carries.

Similarly, when you look at DeAngelo's numbers from 2008 to 2009, his YPC have remained fairly consistent (7% better in 2008), but his TDs were 157% better in 2008. Even accounting for the fact that he had 27% more touches that year, his TD rate per touch was 50% higher in 2008.

By comparison, let's look at what Chris Johnson has shown so far. In his rookie year, he averaged 4.9 YPC, and now he's averaged 5.8 YPC. We should note that CJ's YPC as a rookie was better than all but 2 years of LT. As a rookie, he finished as RB11 with 192 pts in a non-PPR. RB1 (DeAngelo) scored 255. In his second year, CJ has 304 pts so far - good for RB1.

So, even if you dismiss this as a "record" year that won't happen again, what kind of regression do you expect?

Let's project forward, making a few assumptions:

A) he goes back to his 4.8 YPC as a rookie (this is assuming that the imrpovement was luck and not improvemetn on his part and on how he is being used). I realize this is a very high YPC to expect as an absolute number, but frankly there's no reason to expect much

B) he gets around 300 carries as a primary back (a reasonable number, especially since he really doesn't take many hits in comparison to other backs who may get those kinds of touches)

C) his total TDs stay around 10, which is more than reasonable for a playmaker and feature back

D) his involvement in the passing game is roughly similar

If you assume his total TDs stays around 10, his carries remain around 300, and his YPC drops back to his rookie level (4.9 YPC) That's good for 255 pts - which would have put him right with D-Will last year as RB1, but without a dependency on TDs (and would have been a top 5 perormance in most years). Even if you assume his YPC will drop to 4.2 - he's still putting up around 230 pts with that level of work, and top 10 RB numbers.

So, assuming a HUGE regression, and no improvement in TDs, you're looking at a floor of RB5-10.... and this is also assuming non-PPR since his 40-50 catches are worth somethig there too.

That said, when I watch CJ, I see someone special... so if ANYONE can keep up these insane YPC, I think he has a shot. We all know he has elite speed, but he is also a very patient runner and sets up his blocks well. He doesn't just try to outrun people. I also posted this last year, but among all the starting RBs, he had the best 10/40 split... I don't have the numbers here but it was something like 27% ... meaning that not only is he the fastest, but he also gets to full speed almost immediately. I truly believe that when his career is over we'll be including him in the "best backs ever" conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread