What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (10 Viewers)

Also forgot to add Gresham to the mix. I like Hernandez but there are concerns that Gronk is option 1A. However, Hernandez is playing with the best quarterback and there should be plenty of balls to go around. As a Jets fan I don't have too much confidence in Keller breaking out, but that's more of an indictment on the play of Sanchez.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apropos of nothing, a thought occurred to me today. You know who Flacco/Boldin/Evans kind of reminds me of? The 2006 Cowboys. You've got the young gunslinger QB (26 year old Tony Romo, who averaged 8.6 ypa). You've got two WRs on the wrong side of 30, one of whom is perhaps the most physical after-the-catch threat in the league (33 year old Terrell Owens), the other of whom is an underrated deep threat who has yet to lose a step (32 year old Terry Glenn). Please don't confuse any of this with anything remotely resembling "analysis" or "prediction", it was just an interesting comparison that struck me this morning. I actually think there's a pretty solid chance of Evans having a Glenn/Galloway type final chapter to his career, although as you all know I'm ever the optimist when it comes to Evans.
I think "ever the masochist" would be more apt. I am sorry, but I can't take Evans seriously any longer - for years we heard that this is an elite talent but doesn't produce because he doesn't have a QB who can get the ball to him and/or there is no WR #2 to draw attention from defenses to keep him from getting double teamed. Well, the Bills not only got a half-ways decent QB in Fitzpatrick, but also a capable #2 finally emerged in Stevie Johnson. And contrary to what we would have expected, Evans numbers not only didn't improve, but Johnson became the star receiving threat and enough of one to make Evans expendable. It is true Evans had injury issues, but I honestly don't think if he was completely healthy the results would have been that much different. If you want to continue to be the optimist, fine, but the Evans' glass sure looks half empty to me - I don't think Evans was ever as good as we thought he was.
The problem with this analysis is it is sloppy.First, you call Fitzpatrick a "half-ways decent QB." In reality, he is in the bottom third. He was 27th in completion %;.21st in ypa; 22 in QB rating, smack dab between Alex Smith and Shaun Hill. So....for the past four years he has had crap at QB. Instead of the 31 or 32nd worst QB he had the 22nd. That's still awful.

Second, Johnson hit it off with Fitzpatrick more than Evans. That's because Evans is a deep threat and Johnson is more of an over the middle possession WR.

Bottom line is that Buffalo never had the personnel or the strategy to take advantage of Evan's strengths. Four years of half-ways decent" production doesn't prove that he isn't talented. How do you explain the two years he has had over 1000 yards and the one year that he was a top 10 receiver? Clearly he has talent but the team didn't know how to exploit it.

The analogy with Glenn is perfect because nay sayers like you said the same thing about him. And he, like Evans, is a deep threat guy who needs a QB who can hit him on the deep patterns. Like Evans, he had had two great years interspersed with a lot of mediocre years. Then he went to a new team with an offense and QB who could use him properly, and he had two more 1000+ years. He also had gone 4 years since having had a decent year before the trade to Dallas, and he was 2 years older at the time of the trade.
Mind-blowing Terry Glenn stat that will blow everyone's mind: Terry Glenn ranks in the top 30 in NFL history in receiving yards per game. Seriously- I'm not making that up. I really think Glenn and Galloway are very interesting comparisons to Evans. Both Glenn and Galloway really caused me to re-evaluate when speed guys start to lose a step in the NFL. Glenn and Galloway both posted the highest YPC of their careers at age 32, and they topped 15.0 YPC a combined 7 times at age 30 or older. Galloway averaged a ridiculous 17.8 YPC (2nd highest total of his career) at age 36- in what was one of the greatest age 36 seasons of all time. Bruce kept his speed for quite a while, too.
I know maybe not relevant for Glenn in this case but I do want to point out that YPC isn't the best metric for fantasy success. There have been a lot of guys with high YPC who haven't been consistent enough to be fantasy viable. The reality is some guys are deep threats who have inflated YPC as a result. There are guys who simply cannot be anything more than the big play guy and there are guys whose YPC drop significantly when/if the become integral parts of the offense (and thus are asked to do more than just stretch the field). I would go into more detail / pull stats but on my iPad right now. Point is this isn't always the best metric. YPG sure. I'd have to look at the specifics of DVOA but I'm sure like anything else it has inherent biases too.
I wasn't using ypc as a rough proxy for fantasy worth, I was using it as a rough proxy for speed. You expect speed guys to start losing a step at 30, but Glenn and Galloway held their speed for a while after 30.

Having a hard time separating the young TEs and some "older" guys in dynasty PPR. Hernandez, Cook and Kendricks as the young guys, and Olsen, Keller and Marcedes. They all lump together in my mind, can't decide how to tier them.
The first guy that sticks out to me is Hernandez. I like him more than the others you listed. I think his upside is the highest. Lewis has the most re-draft value and is only 27 - that transfers nicely to dynasty formats. I have been a big Keller fan, going back to college/combine numbers/highlights, but I am slowly tempering my "ceiling" expectations. Olsen can be a weapon if used properly, I believe. But I don't see a huge resurgence in Carolina. I am not comfortable with my opinion on Cook - I haven't paid much attention to him, honestly. But he is an athlete with upside. I love Kendricks, much the way I loved Keller. He is a physical, yet smooth TE that can look like a big WR at times. HernandezLewisKendricksKeller/OlsenCook
I would bump Keller and Olsen up and drop Hernandez a notch or two (maybe 3). My issue/concern with Hernandez is Gronk. Gronk is the better blocker of the two (read: is on the field more) and is utilized as the primary "redzone TE target". Lewis just got paid - which also indicates his team values him (meaning, they will likely continue to use him the way they did last year).
I find that my opinion on Hernandez is more favorable than most. For one, I don't know that Hernandez is 1B to Gronk. To start the year, Hernandez got more targets. Then he got hurt, Gronk got more. I am waiting to see what happens this year. On top of that, the Patriots are the team I feel most comfortable investing in a 2nd TE, Hernandez is 21 years old (too young for me to lower due to opportunity), and I simply think he can be one of the biggest mismatches in the NFL. If I am right about that, the Patriots will make it happen.I am high on Lewis as well.

Not to get all rookie lovestruck, but Kendricks is the best in that tier based on situation. He's Dallas Clark at 23. To take a stiff who got lucky with TDs last year over him is preposterous, IMO.

Not to get all rookie lovestruck, but Kendricks is the best in that tier based on situation. He's Dallas Clark at 23. To take a stiff who got lucky with TDs last year over him is preposterous, IMO.
I think calling someone who hasn't played a game is borderline preposterous as well. I am a huge Kendricks fan and own him in more leagues than I don't. But lets see how he translates first. 10 TDs, a pro-bowl selection, and new contract is not luck. He showed what kind of redzone threat he can be and he is in line for targets.

I think calling someone who hasn't played a game is borderline preposterous as well. I am a huge Kendricks fan and own him in more leagues than I don't. But lets see how he translates first. 10 TDs, a pro-bowl selection, and new contract is not luck. He showed what kind of redzone threat he can be and he is in line for targets.
Visanthe Shiancoe made the pro bowl in 2009 after scoring 11 TDs. Bo Scaife was franchised twice. The Jaguars resigned Lewis out of desperation. He is an adequate receiver on a team with very few adequate receivers, and he is necessary to their success running the ball. There are so many useful TEs now in fantasy I can't think of any situation where I'd rather have Lewis than Kendricks. 4 or 5 years ago there were only about 8 TEs who got fantasy points. If you didn't have one of them you were starting Jermaine Wiggins. Now every team has 2 startable TEs. Unless you've totally ignored TE and Lewis is your only man, the upside is so high you have to prefer Kendricks.

Visanthe Shiancoe made the pro bowl in 2009 after scoring 11 TDs. Bo Scaife was franchised twice. The Jaguars resigned Lewis out of desperation. He is an adequate receiver on a team with very few adequate receivers, and he is necessary to their success running the ball. There are so many useful TEs now in fantasy I can't think of any situation where I'd rather have Lewis than Kendricks. 4 or 5 years ago there were only about 8 TEs who got fantasy points. If you didn't have one of them you were starting Jermaine Wiggins. Now every team has 2 startable TEs. Unless you've totally ignored TE and Lewis is your only man, the upside is so high you have to prefer Kendricks.
Solid points. Although, if Shiancoe was 27 and put up double digit TDs without Favre, he would be ranked around where Lewis is now. There are plenty of situations in which I would take Kendricks over Lewis, so I can't say you're wrong. I simply consider Lewis a great red zone threat on a team desperate for them. He is young, talented, and will get targets. But, again, I am a big Kendricks guy too.

Delone Carter is an interesting player. He appears to have beaten out Brown for the 2 spot in Indy. As we all know, Joseph Addai is not exactly a stud but seems good enough to beat back all comers for the job of RB-Indy. Does Carter have the juice to seize the job if Addai gives him a crack or would he be simply a Chris Ivory type of placeholder if something were to happen to Addai?

Delone Carter is an interesting player. He appears to have beaten out Brown for the 2 spot in Indy. As we all know, Joseph Addai is not exactly a stud but seems good enough to beat back all comers for the job of RB-Indy. Does Carter have the juice to seize the job if Addai gives him a crack or would he be simply a Chris Ivory type of placeholder if something were to happen to Addai?
I am curious: was there an announcement of a team depth chart released?

I am curious: was there an announcement of a team depth chart released?
I just saw this from Rotoworld. It states "Beat writer Phillip Wilson confirms that Delone Carter is ahead of Donald Brown and Darren Evans for the Colts' backup job."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think F and L has become more dedicated to keeping his stuff at Rotoworld. I just hope he starts doing more of it because a top 200 is just 'meh', though, not unappreciated.
Sorry, guys. Didn't know this thread had jump-started again in mid-August. It's not really that I'm "dedicated" to keeping my work at Rotoworld, though having them as my employer certainly does factor in. My lack of Dynasty-related output over the past couple of years has more to do with what Jason suggests here:
Regarding F&L, I definitely wish Rotoworld would let him focus more on dynasty content. At least let him go 300 deep for dynasty rankings.
For all of our efforts to the contrary, Dynasty leagues still comprise a tiny slice of the fantasy football pie. Rotoworld has to concentrate more on pumping out redraft info because that's the market demand. Rosenthal and the higher-ups are great about letting me post whatever Dynasty content I want. That's not the problem. The stumbling block is time. I used to come to this thread and pump out rankings as a retreat from the real world. Now fantasy football is my real world. My retreats no longer involve following or writing about professional sports. Silva and I were working 100-hour weeks during free agency. We're now down to 55-60. When the whistle blows at 5:00 (or more likely, midnight), I need an escape from football. It's sad but true. Every week, I make tentative plans to sit down and grind out Dynasty tiers as a free article on Rotoworld. It's still in the plans. But I always end up having a beer and throwing a little corn, or playing softball, or trying to salvage my relationship with my girlfriend in my time away from Rotoworld's news shifts, Draft Guide updates, and mandatory articles. I know ... labor pain/baby and rough seas/ship. Just letting you know where I'm coming from on the lack of Dynasty content.I'll ask about extending the Dynasty 200 to make it 300. And I'll try to get to the tiers at some point.

This is only my 2nd year in a dynasty league, so my first rookie draft is a few days away.

I hear lots of talk about always taking the "best player available" in a rookie draft and

ignore positional need. Do the experienced dynasty folks here agree with this?

Not to make this an Assistant Coach thread but as an example... :)

Even though I reeeeeally want to go RB at my 1.05 pick (assuming Ingram, Green, Jones and Thomas are taken),

it looks like Little is going to be there and seems consistently ranked above the next tier of RBs

(Carter, Hunter, Helu, etc etc).

For experienced dynasty owners, is it a no-brainer, slam dunk to always draft the player you rank higher,

regardless of team need? (assuming the need isn't dire).

thoughts?

This is only my 2nd year in a dynasty league, so my first rookie draft is a few days away.I hear lots of talk about always taking the "best player available" in a rookie draft andignore positional need. Do the experienced dynasty folks here agree with this?Not to make this an Assistant Coach thread but as an example... :)Even though I reeeeeally want to go RB at my 1.05 pick (assuming Ingram, Green, Jones and Thomas are taken),it looks like Little is going to be there and seems consistently ranked above the next tier of RBs(Carter, Hunter, Helu, etc etc).For experienced dynasty owners, is it a no-brainer, slam dunk to always draft the player you rank higher,regardless of team need? (assuming the need isn't dire).thoughts?
You grab who you think is the most talented player. A talent surplus at one position can be used to trade for talent at a position of need. Busts and average players don't do anything for you.

This is only my 2nd year in a dynasty league, so my first rookie draft is a few days away.I hear lots of talk about always taking the "best player available" in a rookie draft andignore positional need. Do the experienced dynasty folks here agree with this?Not to make this an Assistant Coach thread but as an example... :)Even though I reeeeeally want to go RB at my 1.05 pick (assuming Ingram, Green, Jones and Thomas are taken),it looks like Little is going to be there and seems consistently ranked above the next tier of RBs(Carter, Hunter, Helu, etc etc).For experienced dynasty owners, is it a no-brainer, slam dunk to always draft the player you rank higher,regardless of team need? (assuming the need isn't dire).thoughts?
Don't be afraid of trading back if you don't like any of the WR's that are going around that pick. If you're dead set on acquiring one of those RB's, I'd trade back, try and maybe pick up some future draft picks, and still get the player you want.

Someone in my dynasty league said he is willing to deal Peterson for 1.01, 1.03 and 3 2nd round future picks for reference.

The way I look at possible deals for players like AP, CJ and Charles is I look at where their value lies in start up drafts and where the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rookies are going off the boarda as well.

I did a start up in the FFPC a few months ago.

Peterson went 4th

Charles went 8th

Chris Johnson went 9th

Ingram went 21st

Green went 26th

Jones went 32nd

So that is about where their value lies so if you were trading 1 of those 3 big RBs if you got 2 of the 3 top picks that seems about right for value.

Picks 21 and 32 for pick 8 ? Pretty good trade in terms of value. Now you have to decide if it fits your team to see if you really would do it.

I have Peterson and Charles in 1 league and I would not do that deal for either of them because I can compete for a title now. If I was rebuilding I would do the deal.

Someone in my dynasty league said he is willing to deal Peterson for 1.01, 1.03 and 3 2nd round future picks for reference.The way I look at possible deals for players like AP, CJ and Charles is I look at where their value lies in start up drafts and where the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rookies are going off the boarda as well.I did a start up in the FFPC a few months ago.Peterson went 4thCharles went 8thChris Johnson went 9thIngram went 21stGreen went 26thJones went 32ndSo that is about where their value lies so if you were trading 1 of those 3 big RBs if you got 2 of the 3 top picks that seems about right for value.Picks 21 and 32 for pick 8 ? Pretty good trade in terms of value. Now you have to decide if it fits your team to see if you really would do it.I have Peterson and Charles in 1 league and I would not do that deal for either of them because I can compete for a title now. If I was rebuilding I would do the deal.
1.01,1.02,1.03 for me. Even if rebuilding, I would get something proven back in the deal.

Well...it depends. In this case, since I believe Little has the potential to be an elite WR, if he fell to you at 1.05, you would have to take him over the 2nd/3rd tier RBs available. And as a general rule, talent should always be taken over short term situation (for the player) and/or your team needs.However, I don't slavishly follow that approach and quite often I go against the conventional wisdom and do take a player that better fits the short term needs of my team or a player that is in a situaton I really like. I also make intuitive picks which, which in theory shouldn't work out, but usually do more often than they don't. I guess I am saying you should usually take the more talented player, but don't be afraid to vary from that if the situation feels right.

I'm definitely a proponent of ignoring positional need. In one league this year, my strength coming into the draft was at WR (using my own rankings, I had a top-5 WR, a top-10 WR, and two more top-24 WRs), while I had absolutely no depth at all at RB (JStew is my top backup, which obviously is sub-optimal when looking at the coming season). I also had 3 1sts in this year's draft. With those three picks, I took A.J. Green, Greg Little, and Randall Cobb. I also spent my 1st rounder last year on a WR (Demaryius), giving me a glut of young talent at the position. I still need an RB, but as I'm fond of saying, a dynasty owner's biggest goal should simply be accumulating talent and letting things work themselves out, and Green/Little/Cobb were far and away the top talents left on the board when I was picking. Don't be the guy who drafts Roy Helu Jr. over Greg Little.You have to remember that in dynasty leagues, trades are far and away the best means of filling holes in your roster (with an abbreviated draft and a lack of immediate contributors, you can't count on the draft to shore up needs). With that in mind, you want to stockpile talented players to maximize your trading chips.Now, it's not like there's absolutely no flexibility. If I have Ingram and Green valued pretty similar (and I do), then I might let team needs dictate which one I take. Players can be shuffled up and down within tiers based on outside considerations, but I make it a rule to never, ever, ever draft a player from a lower tier when there's a player from a higher tier still on the board. In other words, minor talent differences can be overlooked, but tier breaks are sacrosanct. Greg Little is a much, much, much better player than Roy Helu, Jr. The fact that Helu plays at a more valuable position and has a clearer path to immediate production is irrelevant. Besides, in my experience, all the opportunity in the world can't make a mediocre back into a stud- just ask Brandon Jackson.

I'm definitely a proponent of ignoring positional need. In one league this year, my strength coming into the draft was at WR (using my own rankings, I had a top-5 WR, a top-10 WR, and two more top-24 WRs), while I had absolutely no depth at all at RB (JStew is my top backup, which obviously is sub-optimal when looking at the coming season). I also had 3 1sts in this year's draft. With those three picks, I took A.J. Green, Greg Little, and Randall Cobb. I also spent my 1st rounder last year on a WR (Demaryius), giving me a glut of young talent at the position. I still need an RB, but as I'm fond of saying, a dynasty owner's biggest goal should simply be accumulating talent and letting things work themselves out, and Green/Little/Cobb were far and away the top talents left on the board when I was picking. Don't be the guy who drafts Roy Helu Jr. over Greg Little.You have to remember that in dynasty leagues, trades are far and away the best means of filling holes in your roster (with an abbreviated draft and a lack of immediate contributors, you can't count on the draft to shore up needs). With that in mind, you want to stockpile talented players to maximize your trading chips.Now, it's not like there's absolutely no flexibility. If I have Ingram and Green valued pretty similar (and I do), then I might let team needs dictate which one I take. Players can be shuffled up and down within tiers based on outside considerations, but I make it a rule to never, ever, ever draft a player from a lower tier when there's a player from a higher tier still on the board. In other words, minor talent differences can be overlooked, but tier breaks are sacrosanct. Greg Little is a much, much, much better player than Roy Helu, Jr. The fact that Helu plays at a more valuable position and has a clearer path to immediate production is irrelevant. Besides, in my experience, all the opportunity in the world can't make a mediocre back into a stud- just ask Brandon Jackson.
All awesome replies. thanks everyone for reinforcing these facts and slapping sense into me before tomorrow night's rookie draft.(and SSOG, can you update your rankings on DR.net before tomorrow night since I lean on them heavily :)if we worked together, I'd buy you a beer or a coffee to grease the wheels a bit... :banned: )

All awesome replies. thanks everyone for reinforcing these facts and slapping sense into me before tomorrow night's rookie draft.(and SSOG, can you update your rankings on DR.net before tomorrow night since I lean on them heavily :)if we worked together, I'd buy you a beer or a coffee to grease the wheels a bit... :banned: )
Amen.

My rankings are more or less set (call it 95%- just needing a few cosmetic changes). For some reason the link in my sig goes to a cached version of the website- if you type the url into your browser bar (www.dynastyrankings.net), you should get to the updated site. Or, if you click any of the individual position pages, you should get the updated rankings.

My rankings are more or less set (call it 95%- just needing a few cosmetic changes). For some reason the link in my sig goes to a cached version of the website- if you type the url into your browser bar (www.dynastyrankings.net), you should get to the updated site. Or, if you click any of the individual position pages, you should get the updated rankings.
SSOG, I see you dropped Delone Carter down a tier. Why is this? He seems to me to be a player on the rise. He's ascended the depth chart according to some sources and has looked good. He's the only back on that roster capable of carrying a heavy load. Donald Brown is a bust and Joseph Addai is nothing special. Should he falter, I think Carter steps into the role as RB-Indy. And that's a nice place to be. I'd be curious to hear your reasoning for dropping him behind Brown in your rankings.

If you could slot Matt Flynn into this season's rookie QB crop, where would he fit? I have it like this so far.

Newton

Gabbert

Locker

Flynn

Ponder

Dalton

Mallett

Flynn is going to get his shot next season somewhere. He could start right now for a few teams (Miami, Cincy, San Fran, Seattle, etc.)

I think F and L has become more dedicated to keeping his stuff at Rotoworld. I just hope he starts doing more of it because a top 200 is just 'meh', though, not unappreciated.
Sorry, guys. Didn't know this thread had jump-started again in mid-August. It's not really that I'm "dedicated" to keeping my work at Rotoworld, though having them as my employer certainly does factor in. My lack of Dynasty-related output over the past couple of years has more to do with what Jason suggests here:
Regarding F&L, I definitely wish Rotoworld would let him focus more on dynasty content. At least let him go 300 deep for dynasty rankings.
For all of our efforts to the contrary, Dynasty leagues still comprise a tiny slice of the fantasy football pie. Rotoworld has to concentrate more on pumping out redraft info because that's the market demand. Rosenthal and the higher-ups are great about letting me post whatever Dynasty content I want. That's not the problem. The stumbling block is time. I used to come to this thread and pump out rankings as a retreat from the real world. Now fantasy football is my real world. My retreats no longer involve following or writing about professional sports. Silva and I were working 100-hour weeks during free agency. We're now down to 55-60. When the whistle blows at 5:00 (or more likely, midnight), I need an escape from football. It's sad but true. Every week, I make tentative plans to sit down and grind out Dynasty tiers as a free article on Rotoworld. It's still in the plans. But I always end up having a beer and throwing a little corn, or playing softball, or trying to salvage my relationship with my girlfriend in my time away from Rotoworld's news shifts, Draft Guide updates, and mandatory articles. I know ... labor pain/baby and rough seas/ship. Just letting you know where I'm coming from on the lack of Dynasty content.I'll ask about extending the Dynasty 200 to make it 300. And I'll try to get to the tiers at some point.
Just wanted to point out again how lucky we were to have free access to Mr. Wesseling's opinions on Dynasty. The man deserves to be compensated for what he does. I personally paid for the draft guide just to see his rankings.

If you could slot Matt Flynn into this season's rookie QB crop, where would he fit? I have it like this so far.NewtonGabbertLockerFlynnPonderDaltonMallettFlynn is going to get his shot next season somewhere. He could start right now for a few teams (Miami, Cincy, San Fran, Seattle, etc.)
QBs are usually hard to call. This year's class is especially tricky because it lacks any bulletproof prospects. Newton is raw and unproven as a passer. Locker was poor last season. Gabbert and Ponder had very "meh" college careers. There's just no one here that you can confidently point to and say that he'll be a solid NFL starter three years from now. So maybe the real answer is "none of the above" when you talk about which one of these guys you should target. I'd probably lump Flynn in with Kaepernick and Ponder. Curiosities who will most likely get a chance to prove themselves, but who aren't necessarily locks to excel when they finally get their chance. These types are hard to gauge. Sometimes you get an AJ Feeley. Sometimes you get a Matt Cassel. And every once in a blue moon you get an Aaron Rodgers. I had a hunch that Rodgers might be good because he happened to go to a nearby college, so I happened to see a lot of his games. I don't have that hunch about these cats. The only things I think I "know" about the current crop of QB prospects is that Andrew Luck is the real deal and that Jake Locker will be a bust. Having said that, the guy I like in terms of risk/reward is Mallett. When you put aside the character issues and the laughable 40 time, you've got a guy with a cannon for an arm who put up some staggering stats in a very difficult conference. Is he Peyton Manning? Probably not, but the dude has NFL size, can sling the rock, and was massively productive at the amateur level. His career... :unsure: ...smokes...anything that these other jokers did (except for Newton, who was also a demi-god in the SEC). I wouldn't trip over myself rushing to make a trade offer for him, but he's a great candidate as a trade throw-in because he has a high upside and it's likely that his owner doesn't view him as untouchable.

Speaking of good prospects who can be had for cheap:

Liked this kid a lot in college and grabbed him on the cheap in a bunch of my leagues.

He has always reminded me a little bit of Ray Rice.

I was saying "Amen" to the buy you a beer or coffee part (not the update the rankings part). Keep up the fine work. :thumbup:

SSOG, I see you dropped Delone Carter down a tier. Why is this? He seems to me to be a player on the rise. He's ascended the depth chart according to some sources and has looked good. He's the only back on that roster capable of carrying a heavy load. Donald Brown is a bust and Joseph Addai is nothing special. Should he falter, I think Carter steps into the role as RB-Indy. And that's a nice place to be. I'd be curious to hear your reasoning for dropping him behind Brown in your rankings.
You're looking at Jason's rankings, not mine. At the top of the page (underneath the picture of Chris Johnson) there are a pair of radio buttons that you can use to switch back and forth between Jason's and mine. I've got Carter at 35 and Brown at 54.
If you could slot Matt Flynn into this season's rookie QB crop, where would he fit? I have it like this so far.NewtonGabbertLockerFlynnPonderDaltonMallettFlynn is going to get his shot next season somewhere. He could start right now for a few teams (Miami, Cincy, San Fran, Seattle, etc.)
I've got him behind all of them, though I didn't know he was a free agent after this season. That'll jump him over Mallett, but I'm not sure if it'll get him ahead of any of the 1st rounders. 1st round QBs become 1st round QBs for a reason, even if I don't understand or agree. The other advantage 1st round QBs have is that some team has committed a tremendous amount of resources to them and has a major vested interest in seeing them succeed. Flynn might get that next year, but his best case scenario (in terms of commitment) is that he gets what those other 5 guys already have.

This thread should never fall to the 6th page, so...

It will be interesting to see the Felix Jones argument, in hindsight, after this season. I still think he has top 10 potential and I think we are about to find out.

It is probably too late to get a discount in dynasty formats. But, I would be looking to move Matt Forte and see what I could get in addition to Jones. I think Jones it the more talented, game changing player and I think he bests Forte's numbers, if healthy.

This thread should never fall to the 6th page, so...It will be interesting to see the Felix Jones argument, in hindsight, after this season. I still think he has top 10 potential and I think we are about to find out. It is probably too late to get a discount in dynasty formats. But, I would be looking to move Matt Forte and see what I could get in addition to Jones. I think Jones it the more talented, game changing player and I think he bests Forte's numbers, if healthy.
If Marion Barber stays somewhat healthy, and I know that's a big if, he'll hurt Forte's value this year. The other day at my dynasty draft, a guy I respect said Felix hasn't looked that good in the preseason. I found that vexing based on all the hype here, but couldn't argue since I haven't had a chance to watch Felix this year.

It will be interesting to see the Felix Jones argument, in hindsight, after this season. I still think he has top 10 potential and I think we are about to find out.

It is probably too late to get a discount in dynasty formats. But, I would be looking to move Matt Forte and see what I could get in addition to Jones. I think Jones it the more talented, game changing player and I think he bests Forte's numbers, if healthy.
If Marion Barber stays somewhat healthy, and I know that's a big if, he'll hurt Forte's value this year. The other day at my dynasty draft, a guy I respect said Felix hasn't looked that good in the preseason. I found that vexing based on all the hype here, but couldn't argue since I haven't had a chance to watch Felix this year.
I've seen all of Dallas preseason games, and Felix has looked awesome. Either that guy is blind, or he was trying to drive down the value of Felix so he could draft him later than his ADP.

What are people doing with Carson Palmer in dynasty leagues? I can't see him being gone for good but is he worth keeping over say a (non Newton) rookie from this year's draft class?

I've seen all of Dallas preseason games, and Felix has looked awesome. Either that guy is blind, or he was trying to drive down the value of Felix so he could draft him later than his ADP.
Felix was already rostered. But that sure sounds right.

What are people doing with Carson Palmer in dynasty leagues? I can't see him being gone for good but is he worth keeping over say a (non Newton) rookie from this year's draft class?
I had him ranked 21st... *BEFORE* he announced his retirement. He has not been the same QB since his injuries. His arm is shot and has worn down through the course of the year in every recent season. I was bearish on his ability to ever produce as a starter-caliber fantasy QB again. Even if he fails to retire and winds up on another team, those concerns aren't going to magically go away. Carson Palmer's name carries a lot of cachet in dynasty leagues because of how he looked early in his career (people thought he was going to be the next Peyton Manning, at one point), but the truth is that Carson Palmer hasn't been Carson Palmer in years, and it looks unlikely that he ever would be. He's David Garrard with a premium brand name.

You grab who you think is the most talented player. A talent surplus at one position can be used to trade for talent at a position of need. Busts and average players don't do anything for you.
I agree, but if the players are close, than take the better situation. Example: As most people who keep up around the shark pool know I love Randall Cobb as a football player. I thought he should have been a top 20 pick in the NFL draft. I think he is versatile, and could be used similar to Percy Harvin down the line. And I think talent wise he matches Harvin and could be even better. With all that being said I still take Little ahead of him in rookie drafts. Although I like Cobb far better as a football player, his path is merky in Green Bay, and Little has just as a high a ceiling, and has a clear path to production right now. Cobb may have the higher floor, and I'm convinced he will be an outstanding football player for the next 8 years, but right now Little is the better rookie pick.

I had him ranked 21st... *BEFORE* he announced his retirement. He has not been the same QB since his injuries. His arm is shot and has worn down through the course of the year in every recent season. I was bearish on his ability to ever produce as a starter-caliber fantasy QB again. Even if he fails to retire and winds up on another team, those concerns aren't going to magically go away. Carson Palmer's name carries a lot of cachet in dynasty leagues because of how he looked early in his career (people thought he was going to be the next Peyton Manning, at one point), but the truth is that Carson Palmer hasn't been Carson Palmer in years, and it looks unlikely that he ever would be. He's David Garrard with a premium brand name.
Agree completely, Palmer was garbage when he left. Even if he was still playing for the Bengals I wouldn't go near him, unless he got dropped. No upside really at all. Before the retirement I still would have taken a Ryan Mallett or Vince Young over him.

This is only my 2nd year in a dynasty league, so my first rookie draft is a few days away.I hear lots of talk about always taking the "best player available" in a rookie draft andignore positional need. Do the experienced dynasty folks here agree with this?
Yes, I've been burned every single time I went with a need over BPA. The few times I went with BPA, hindsight has proven I got a player of value who either saw my lineup or became a trading chip. Just go BPA. You must increase the value of your roster above all else.

As a Bengals fan who has seen every game, I agree with this. I don't see him having much value in start 1 QB leagues. His upside seems to be Eli Manning (QB11-15 range) if he ends up in a good situation. That's not terrible and makes him draft-able next year, but barely worth holding onto now (if at all).In 2 QB leagues, he still should hold solid value. As mentioned, I think his upside is Eli, who is a valuable guy in a start 2 QB league. Even worst case, he is most likely going to start somewhere next year and be a top 20 QB.

SSOG,

I'm curious to see what your thoughts are on Blount now that he has shown he can catch the ball. I know it's only pre-season, but it is hard to ignore that he has worked on his catching ability and he did put up good numbers once given the chance last season. Does he warrant a big upgrade in your mind yet or is he still a wait and see type guy? Big back with alot of power behind him, I think, from your rankings, he is a bit low. I'd like your thought process on him especially after his 3rd preseason game.

SSOG,I'm curious to see what your thoughts are on Blount now that he has shown he can catch the ball. I know it's only pre-season, but it is hard to ignore that he has worked on his catching ability and he did put up good numbers once given the chance last season. Does he warrant a big upgrade in your mind yet or is he still a wait and see type guy? Big back with alot of power behind him, I think, from your rankings, he is a bit low. I'd like your thought process on him especially after his 3rd preseason game.
Raheem Morris has already stated that Blount is out of the mix for third down duties - seeing as his competition was a 31 year old career FB/RB hybrid in Earnest Graham and a "never was" in Kregg Lumpkin it doesn't seem like things are looking up for Blount as a pass catcher. In ppr leagues a guy that will be lucky to catch 15 balls during the season loses a lot of value.

SSOG,I'm curious to see what your thoughts are on Blount now that he has shown he can catch the ball. I know it's only pre-season, but it is hard to ignore that he has worked on his catching ability and he did put up good numbers once given the chance last season. Does he warrant a big upgrade in your mind yet or is he still a wait and see type guy? Big back with alot of power behind him, I think, from your rankings, he is a bit low. I'd like your thought process on him especially after his 3rd preseason game.
I'm open to the possibility that I've got Blount way too low, but my impression from him last season is that he's not out of place starting at RB for an NFL franchise... but he's also not the kind of guy who's going to take the job, grab it with two hands, and lock it up for years. Right now, he's the incumbent, and life is good... but I think there's a good chance he gets primaried at some point. The question then becomes whether he produces enough value in the meantime to warrant rating him higher... and I don't see Tampa Bay as a very explosive fantasy offense for RBs.I'll put a question to you: do you think that Blount is more talented than any of the RBs I have ranked ahead of him? If so, which?

I had him ranked 21st... *BEFORE* he announced his retirement. He has not been the same QB since his injuries. His arm is shot and has worn down through the course of the year in every recent season. I was bearish on his ability to ever produce as a starter-caliber fantasy QB again. Even if he fails to retire and winds up on another team, those concerns aren't going to magically go away. Carson Palmer's name carries a lot of cachet in dynasty leagues because of how he looked early in his career (people thought he was going to be the next Peyton Manning, at one point), but the truth is that Carson Palmer hasn't been Carson Palmer™ in years, and it looks unlikely that he ever would be. He's David Garrard with a premium brand name.
Agree completely, Palmer was garbage when he left. Even if he was still playing for the Bengals I wouldn't go near him, unless he got dropped. No upside really at all. Before the retirement I still would have taken a Ryan Mallett or Vince Young over him.
This is relevant once again with the reports of Palmer coming to camp. He had 3970 yards and 26 passing TD's last season, not quite garbage. He hasn't been the same since the injuries but he has been decent. If he hadn't threatened retirement/skipped camp, would he have been ranked at about the same range as guys like Cassel/EManning/Orton? SSOG says he had at 21st, which is right in line with my original discussion of taking a chance on Palmer versus this year's non-Newton rookies. Palmer vs. Dalton for example, if Palmer returns who has more dynasty value. Palmer could put up 3500/25 for a couple more seasons, while Dalton would be at least a couple years from producing the same. If Palmer is now only David Garrard as SSOG suggests, he likely doesn't finish the year as a starter... Palmer though has a huge contract that will make it tougher to push him out the door and I believe that Palmer is better than Garrard (and Gabbert is better than Dalton) so it's slightly different, also there's a chance he could be traded.

I'm not sure there isn't value to be found in Palmer as a QB2/matchup backup in dynasty leagues, or there was...

I'll ask about extending the Dynasty 200 to make it 300. And I'll try to get to the tiers at some point.
Now extended to 300 in Draft Guide and Season Pass.
You're the reason I dropped coin on rotoworld's draft guide and season pass this season. At around $15 it's well worth the expenditure amigo!Any chance you'll be doing anymore podcasts?

I caught one a week or two ago where you called in for the first half hour or so, and definitely want to catch any future scheduled appearances...

Just finished some rankings tweaks. The rankings on the site should now be the final offseason version. Also, we should have fixed the issue where the front page was displaying old rankings, too.

Big fan of Kisners rankings jumping from 87 to 1000.
:confused: You're going to have to explain that one to me, because I'm not following...
From his running back rankings:
84 Cadillac Williams TB 29.4 09/07/2011 1085 Tashard Choice DAL 26.8 09/07/2011 10This is likely Choice's last chance to make a claim on a starting job. He needs to impress, while hoping Murray is brought along slowly. A Felix Jones injury wouldn't hurt either. 8/13/11: Now there're rumors that Choice's roster spot could be in jeopordy. Yikes.86 Steve Slaton HOU 25.7 09/07/2011 1087 Clinton Portis WAS 30.0 09/07/2011 10Tier 81000 LaRod Stephens-Howling ARI 24.3 09/07/2011 8Tier 101000 Brian Westbrook SF 32.0 08/18/2011 101000 Brandon Jackson GB 25.9 09/07/2011 101000 Kevin Smith DET 24.7 08/31/2011 10Doesn't appear able to land any sort of job at all.Tier 111000 Lex Hilliard MIA 27.1 09/07/2011 11
Good shtick

Big fan of Kisners rankings jumping from 87 to 1000.
:confused: You're going to have to explain that one to me, because I'm not following...
From his running back rankings:
84 Cadillac Williams TB 29.4 09/07/2011 1085 Tashard Choice DAL 26.8 09/07/2011 10This is likely Choice's last chance to make a claim on a starting job. He needs to impress, while hoping Murray is brought along slowly. A Felix Jones injury wouldn't hurt either. 8/13/11: Now there're rumors that Choice's roster spot could be in jeopordy. Yikes.86 Steve Slaton HOU 25.7 09/07/2011 1087 Clinton Portis WAS 30.0 09/07/2011 10Tier 81000 LaRod Stephens-Howling ARI 24.3 09/07/2011 8Tier 101000 Brian Westbrook SF 32.0 08/18/2011 101000 Brandon Jackson GB 25.9 09/07/2011 101000 Kevin Smith DET 24.7 08/31/2011 10Doesn't appear able to land any sort of job at all.Tier 111000 Lex Hilliard MIA 27.1 09/07/2011 11
Good shtick
Thos are Jason's ratings ("the other guy" ;) ) - who also posts here, btw.

Just finished some rankings tweaks. The rankings on the site should now be the final offseason version. Also, we should have fixed the issue where the front page was displaying old rankings, too.
Good work, SSOG.I'm surprised about one item: that you've ranked LaGarrette Blount at #21 isn't a big shock to me. Blount hasn't proven himself for an entire season, and most wouldn't consider him an elite talent. But that you've ranked Michael Turner one spot above Blount is a little vexing, though. At 29, Turner is a bit old for a RB, and he's playing on a team that would rather pass the ball. Are you saying you wouldn't trade Turner for Blount straight up?

Users who are viewing this thread