What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (2 Viewers)

I guess Adonis is taking over for goons for now in making excuses.What Leroy said is the point.A mistake like this for Apple is rare...so of course people (and those railing on it so far have been Apple fans) are going to speak up about it.Its not often they take away an app and replace it with one that simply is not nearly as good and has bugs like this. Looks like they pushed it out there before it was ready because they had already made the decision to go with it over google and had no choice.
Again, the functionality in the apple maps app is superior to google maps app. The data, however, seems to be outdated and inferior, for now.Once the data improves, the app will be superior to google maps app.It was a strategic decision on Apple's part, and they think they can deliver a better app. The app will improve when many people use it and correct the incorrect information. What better time to do that then at a time where millions are updating to the latest and greatest version of the iPhone. They had to know they'd get some pushback on this, but the calculus seems to be that it'd be worth it, rather than continuing to let Google suck off the iPhone teet, while using the funds generated to subsidize Droid OS development.
Yup...definitely taking over for goons.You keep believing it will be a superior app to the guys who have been doing it for years and think they will sit pat on what they have.I have an idea that only the true fanboys will consider Apple maps ever superior to Google maps.
:shrug:The app works great for me. No melting bridges. Everything is where it should be. I prefer the look/feel over the more cluttered google maps. The turn by turn has worked great over the last week or so. I'm a big fan. Of course if my town was all jacked up and it had my house in the wrong place I'd probably feel a lot differently.... but you can't discount the people who like it, because there are a lot of people who are having very positive experiences. I will say given the number of complaints though, it is a damn shame if Apple did rush this to market with a ton of bugs. Thankfully it's something that's easily updated. Still... agreed that's a slip up if these issues are as widespread as some allege.
:confused:You want as much detail and up to date accuracy as possible on a map. Especially if you're walking in a new city. Apple is notorious for slowing down or not approving apps that compete with their native ones. I'm just hoping that they approve google's map app quickly once it's submitted.

Has anyone been able to connect to App Store to download passbook? Everytime I try it says it cannot connect.
This is a major issue and one that needs a work around. Let me see if I can go back and find the article that explains how to fix the issueETA: Found it

The first issue for a lot of people is that upon launching the app, there is an error message that does not allow you to connect to the Passbook-specific part of the App Store. Thanks to the Apple support forums, there is a fix for that. Follow the following steps:

Go into Settings > General > Date and Time > Set Automatically. Turn that setting off.

Set the date one year ahead

Access Passbook again and go into the App Store from it. It should be working. Then you can go turn the "set automatically" setting back on in Date and Time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I open passbook, it lists the features, and has a link to the app store. And, that's it. How do I get into the actual Passbook App?

'goonsquad said:
'Leeroy Jenkins said:
The point is that by replacing it with an inferior app, it takes away from the phone. Everything you said is true, but you also said that google maps is better. Why go backwards?
Backwards? Google maps on iOS didn't even have turn- by-turn directions. Stop acting like the old Map app was so great. It was bare bones and honestly it was a complete joke compared to the Android version of Google Maps. The old app was already so inferior there is nowhere to go but forward. For 99% of users, Apple maps will be a big step forward in useability right out of the gate. Losing Street View is a bummer, but it's not a core function that a majority of users rely on every day. Turn-by-turn is. Apple HAD to make this move, and they had to do it now because their license with Google Maps expired. Plain and simple. So short term, it's a step back to take two steps forward. And if it really doesn't work for you, there are plenty of ther map apps available.
I'm a 1%er.

'AcerFC said:
'boots11234 said:
Has anyone been able to connect to App Store to download passbook? Everytime I try it says it cannot connect.
This is a major issue and one that needs a work around. Let me see if I can go back and find the article that explains how to fix the issueETA: Found it

The first issue for a lot of people is that upon launching the app, there is an error message that does not allow you to connect to the Passbook-specific part of the App Store. Thanks to the Apple support forums, there is a fix for that. Follow the following steps:

Go into Settings > General > Date and Time > Set Automatically. Turn that setting off.

Access Passbook again and go into the App Store from it. It should be working. Then you can go turn the "set automatically" setting back on in Date and Time.
Ok, so I open passbook, it lists the features, and has a link to the app store. And, that's it. How do I get into the actual Passbook App?

'Leeroy Jenkins said:
You want as much detail and up to date accuracy as possible on a map. Especially if you're walking in a new city.
Speak for yourself. Google introduces TOO much detail at too far of a zoom level. As a designer it's offensive to my eyes. It's cluttered looking. You should only get that level of detail when you zoom in up close. Less detail at farther zoom levels makes for an easier map to read.
Apple is notorious for slowing down or not approving apps that compete with their native ones. I'm just hoping that they approve google's map app quickly once it's submitted.
Link to a few instances? If it's "Notrious" and all. They removed YouTube as a default video app but google came to market with an improved app very soon after (almost immediately). I imagine google will have a Maps product to market very soon and there are tons of alternatives like Waze already on the market.

Its.A.Phone
You forgot the i. The i makes all the difference. Oh, and you need to change A to An. Carry on.
You made my point
Honestly, the biggest reason I'm excited to get the 5 is that it will move Mrs CE to an iPhone. That means we'll be able to face time with the kids when one of us is out of town. It also means I won't have to try to remember how to help her fix her Android phone when she does something to screw it up.

JOJO!!!! So much for my Oct 5th delivery through Apple. Just walked into an AT&T store and grabbed a new iPhone, no line no wait!!!! This thing is beautiful, light as a feather!!

:pickle: :excited: :pickle:

Im not a fan of any particular phone. I dont know why people get so crazy over the iPhone. Camping out? Really? You cant wait two weeks, a month? Seems nuts to me

'AcerFC said:
'boots11234 said:

Did that. It lets me download more apps(PIA) and then I open Passbook up, expecting to see some kind of interface, but it hasn't changed. I want to load up my loyalty cards so I can only carry a money clip.

Listen, I get apple's reasoning. And it makes sense. But don't try to say that this app is better or that less detail is better. Google's app may have been outdated as goon says when compared to what google put on android, but this new app is literally out of date (25 years wrong in one case around here). The lack of detail when zoomed in is a problem. I don't care about the smashed roads and no flyover when in 3d. That stuff is cool but I'd use it once. The functionality is the problem. Turn by turn is an improvement obviously, but I'm sure apple prevented google from adding that being it was widely available by them elsewhere. And I'm yet to test it out to know whether it lacks proper detail as well.

'AcerFC said:
'boots11234 said:

Did that. It lets me download more apps(PIA) and then I open Passbook up, expecting to see some kind of interface, but it hasn't changed. I want to load up my loyalty cards so I can only carry a money clip.
I did this and it takes me to about 10 apps that work with Passbook. Seems very limited at the moment, but it is working.ETA: Actally, it's still not working. Downloaded the Target app, signed up for mobile coupons, and still nothing shows up when I open Passbook.

'AcerFC said:
'boots11234 said:

In the article I linked, it says you have to use the app first before it gets put into passbook. It doesnt seem like a very stable thing right now

'sho nuff said:
'adonis said:
'sho nuff said:
I guess Adonis is taking over for goons for now in making excuses.

What Leroy said is the point.

A mistake like this for Apple is rare...so of course people (and those railing on it so far have been Apple fans) are going to speak up about it.

Its not often they take away an app and replace it with one that simply is not nearly as good and has bugs like this. Looks like they pushed it out there before it was ready because they had already made the decision to go with it over google and had no choice.
Again, the functionality in the apple maps app is superior to google maps app. The data, however, seems to be outdated and inferior, for now.Once the data improves, the app will be superior to google maps app.

It was a strategic decision on Apple's part, and they think they can deliver a better app. The app will improve when many people use it and correct the incorrect information. What better time to do that then at a time where millions are updating to the latest and greatest version of the iPhone. They had to know they'd get some pushback on this, but the calculus seems to be that it'd be worth it, rather than continuing to let Google suck off the iPhone teet, while using the funds generated to subsidize Droid OS development.
Yup...definitely taking over for goons.You keep believing it will be a superior app to the guys who have been doing it for years and think they will sit pat on what they have.

I have an idea that only the true fanboys will consider Apple maps ever superior to Google maps.
You have no idea what you're talking about so stop acting like a pompus ###.1. The OLD iOS Maps app was developed by Apple, not Google. Apple just licensed Google's map API's. That license DIDN'T ALLOW Apple to provide turn-by-turn navigation. So due to licensing details, the old app was functionally lacking compared to basically any modern navigation app. It was a complete joke, and Apple was stuck until the license ran out.

2. The reason Apple launched the NEW Apple Maps now is because their map license with Google was for 5 years. Do the math: the iPhone launched with the original map app in 2007. Here we are in 2012, 5 years later, and Apple is finally out from under the limited license that was holding back the functionality of their mapping. Make no mistake, Apple is fully aware of how far behind Android their map app was. There was just nothing they could do about it because their original map license was so limited.

3. We are all in agreement that Google Maps on Android is the current gold standard. But the fact remains, Maps on iOS was nowhere near Android even though it was also powered by Google Maps. And that was due to the license holding the app in limbo for 5 years. The truth is, the new Apple Maps is already functionally superior to the old Maps app on iOS. Unfortunately the map data is currently far behind Google's offering, but Apple would have never been able to take full advantage of it anyway.

4. As much as it may pain you, Apple launching their own map system will naturally push Google even harder. Apple is bring some new ideas to the table themselves, and now that they are able to expand their map offerings they can finally push to narrow the gap with Android's Google Maps. Google knows that this is one of their most visible areas of superiority over iOS, so they will need to fight harder to protect that lead.

JOJO!!!! So much for my Oct 5th delivery through Apple. Just walked into an AT&T store and grabbed a new iPhone, no line no wait!!!! This thing is beautiful, light as a feather!! :pickle: :excited: :pickle:
Did you do an upgrade or open a new account? I also pre-ordered from Apple with an Oct. 5 delivery; I went to an AT&T and was told that even though they had 5's in stock, they couldn't let me cancel my pre-order an get one today because the "system has my account upgrade 'In Progress' and is locked down". I hate AT&T. :hot:

JOJO!!!! So much for my Oct 5th delivery through Apple. Just walked into an AT&T store and grabbed a new iPhone, no line no wait!!!! This thing is beautiful, light as a feather!! :pickle: :excited: :pickle:
Did you do an upgrade or open a new account? I also pre-ordered from Apple with an Oct. 5 delivery; I went to an AT&T and was told that even though they had 5's in stock, they couldn't let me cancel my pre-order an get one today because the "system has my account upgrade 'In Progress' and is locked down". I hate AT&T. :hot:
It was an upgrade but I canceled my Apple order then called AT&T customer service and they pushed my upgrade eligibility status through immediately. I'm typing this through Siri the keyboard has a microphone on it. It just typed my whole text message without any mistakes, sweet!!!!ETA: I just realized the microphone button was on the 4s, just upgraded from the 4 so this is all new to me.

'AcerFC said:
'Mario Kart said:
I just updated to iOS6. Will report back any good improvements or bugs.
me too. Only thing I have noticed immediately is another app you cant delete called passbook. It stores boarding passes, tickets, store cards and coupons I guess. Dont see myself ever using it but who knowsETA: I cant seem to connect to itunes store.
The good so far is full screen mode in safari. More space on my 4. Good step.I heard about some issues with Maps. I loaded it up today and allowed it to get me to work. Followed its directions but it took me 45 extra minutes and had me stop at Starbucks. No idea why. Still finding stuff out.

Listen, I get apple's reasoning. And it makes sense. But don't try to say that this app is better or that less detail is better. Google's app may have been outdated as goon says when compared to what google put on android, but this new app is literally out of date (25 years wrong in one case around here). The lack of detail when zoomed in is a problem. I don't care about the smashed roads and no flyover when in 3d. That stuff is cool but I'd use it once. The functionality is the problem. Turn by turn is an improvement obviously, but I'm sure apple prevented google from adding that being it was widely available by them elsewhere. And I'm yet to test it out to know whether it lacks proper detail as well.
Actually, you are completely wrong. The TOS for Google Maps explicitly forbids turn-by-turn navigation. There are lots of rumors about why Apple and Google couldn't come to an extended licensing agreement for it, but it absolutely wasn't because Apple didn't want it in the default map app. Speculation has been that Google demanded access/ownership to too much user location tracking data.
2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:

(a) copy, translate, modify, or make derivative works of the Content or any part thereof;

(b) redistribute, sublicense, rent, publish, sell, assign, lease, market, transfer, or otherwise make the Products or Content available to third parties;

© reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Service or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by applicable law;

(d) use the Products in a manner that gives you or any other person access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery, and visible map data;

(e) delete, obscure, or in any manner alter any warning or link that appears in the Products or the Content; or

(f) use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with (i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device; or (ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior;

(g) use the Products to create a database of places or other local listings information.

It was an upgrade but I canceled my Apple order then called AT&T customer service and they pushed my upgrade eligibility status through immediately. I'm typing this through Siri the keyboard has a microphone on it. It just typed my whole text message without any mistakes, sweet!!!!
Congrats! :excited:

The question is whether I should activate it today or not. I head to psu for the weekend. I'd hate to get it messed up some how.
Well it is a young phone, but I think Sandusky is still locked up... you should be good to go.
Saw that one coming! I never drop my phone, but I'd hate to drop it while drunk at a college bar or in a stadium full of 100,000 people. But the temptation is strong. Get here already!

The question is whether I should activate it today or not. I head to psu for the weekend. I'd hate to get it messed up some how.
Well it is a young phone, but I think Sandusky is still locked up... you should be good to go.
Saw that one coming! I never drop my phone, but I'd hate to drop it while drunk at a college bar or in a stadium full of 100,000 people. But the temptation is strong. Get here already!
Saw a dude drop his phone into the trough in the men's room at Joe Louis Arena. Went in to fish it out with 10 other guys pissing on his hands. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Good times.

It was an upgrade but I canceled my Apple order then called AT&T customer service and they pushed my upgrade eligibility status through immediately. I'm typing this through Siri the keyboard has a microphone on it. It just typed my whole text message without any mistakes, sweet!!!!
:hifive: Yea man, it will work for you. AT&T customer service was awesome. Was surprised they changed my eligibility status, Apple was saying it would take up to 72 hours. I gave them the cancellation info from the Apple email and they pushed it right through. :thumbup: (just don't cancel unless you know for sure the store has them in stock)

:mellow: Not the answer I was hoping for.

Im certain I'm going to walk in to the apple store in an hour an try to pay full price for one even though I gave an upgrade coming in three weeks. :wall:

Has anyone figured out how to link your gmail account with authenticator to i5?
:kicksrock:
This solved my the problem ! The solution was written by a Googe employee.

I assume you've enabled two-factor authentication for your Google account. In this case, you'll have to generate an access code at https://www.google.com/

accounts/IssuedAuthSubTokens - and use that code in place of your password in the iPhone Mail settings. You'll have to generate a new access code for each place you log in that doesn't support two-factor authentication (i.e. anywhere except in a browser).
doh

:hifive: Yea man, it will work for you. AT&T customer service was awesome. Was surprised they changed my eligibility status, Apple was saying it would take up to 72 hours. I gave them the cancellation info from the Apple email and they pushed it right through. :thumbup: (just don't cancel unless you know for sure the store has them in stock)
I knew those ##### in the AT&T store were just ####### me over. I think I'll go back there and punch them in the neck.

Users who are viewing this thread