What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (6 Viewers)

What would the motive be for popping Tony at the end anyway? For those that choose to believe that.
This is what I keep asking. Nobody has given an answer.JUST FOR HIM TO DIE OMG
What do you mean motive? For Chase?Phil gave the order. People were still loyal to him.
Phil is dead. His main people turned to Tony. I would assume they had the blessing of the captains.

What would the motive be for popping Tony at the end anyway? For those that choose to believe that. Just doesn't make sense.
Closure. It's fictional. I realize that I can close my eyes and make up my own ending. I don't care if Tony lives or dies, I do care that after 6+ seasons there was an actual ending to the storyline. It's a television show which failed to please the majority of viewers.

What would the motive be for popping Tony at the end anyway? For those that choose to believe that.
What do you mean motive? For Chase?Phil gave the order. People were still loyal to him.
War is bad business. This is why Phil had to go. No low-ranking guy in the NY family is putting a hit out on Tony for revenge.

Phil is dead. His main people turned to Tony. I would assume they had the blessing of the captains.
still a timeframe thing. Not sure if Phils demise was known.And wasn't it just kinda warm weather last episode. I thought the snowstorm was a dream sequence.

I thought this was explianed in the meeting where they said "Do what you have to do..." meaning that they were ok with Tony going after Phil and that the "war" had gone too far.

We got the satisfying knowledge that the druggie friend of Meadow is going to be a doctor as she randomly appeared pretty much to shove that up Carmella's ### apparently.

If there 6 possible endings, it looks like Chase opted for the "Smoo" option.

-QG

Who the hell has ever heard of an SUV catching on fire because it parked on leaves? Seriously, they spent 5 minutes of the season finale' on that? :goodposting:
I think the point of that scene was to focus that even though AJ thinks he has gone all "save the world" on everyone; he's still ole slapdick AJ
If you actually think there was a point to that scene, you're seriously grasping. For the record, there were a lot of things wrong with the episode that have nothing to do with the final scene (which I'm okay with for the record).1. The NY family gave up on Phil way too damn easily. That was stupid.2. AJ has barely had 3 distinct story lines in the entire series, yet they spend 20 minutes tonight zooming through three different scenarios (him being a pansy, him wanting to join the army, him being a producer). Why not just go the extra mile and have him join a cult. It was laughable (and not in a good way) when he brought up the army thing and flying a chopper for Donald Trump. Who actually would write that crap and pass it off as good t.v.?3. Tony's about to be testified against and he doesn't even seem to care? He mentions it to Carmella at the end and it's basically "aww shucks, guess we're going to trial. That's a bummer." There's no fire. There's nothing.Weak.

You know what they say about assumptions.

I stopped watching "Northern Exposure" after Rob Morrow left but I remember fans being irked at how that series finale went too. Wasn't Chase a part of that show at the end? If so, this could be two series finales he's been a part of that left people upset.

That could be an unofficial record. :goodposting:

As far as an actual ending to this episode- how about ending it after the scene with Tony and Junior? That would've worked for me. Perhaps with a shot of Junior looking out into the sky clueless as to what's going on around him and Tony looking at Junior, perhaps seeing his own future - alone and unable to comprehend anything that's going on around him?

Would that have worked for others?

Loved the ending. If nothing else, it will be memorable. I sat there staring at the screen with my mouth open for about 30 seconds of credits, then said, "I can't believe they just ####### did that."

By the way...boring? Phil got his ####### HEAD run over.

We're all talking about an ending where there is no clear-cut answer. That alone makes it interesting. Unstatisfying? Maybe for some, but it definitely leaves questions. I have a few questions...

1. What was the reason for creating a delay in Meadow getting to the restaurant?

2. When Tony entered the restaurant, did he see himself sitting there? What does that represent?

3. What was the symbolism/meaning of the Sopranos eating at a meager restaurant that was a far cry from their usual?

At the very end, the last words sung before the blackout were "Don't Stop"

Don't stop what? Your thoughts?

A better ending would have been last weeks episode. Seriously. Maybe Chase shouldn't have written and directed this one? Probably tough for the apostles to tell God himself that others might dock the mothership better if they're allowed in the captain's chair.

1) There was really no motive to have Tony whacked by the end of the show.

2) People are saying they wanted to see Tony's family desert him - to me, that would seem incredibly out of character for each of them.

3) Did you want him arrested and rushed through a trial in the last 7 minutes f the series?

I really don't get what people wanted here.

The issues were RESOLVED. Just because the last 3 minutes built up tension and then left with a random cut out does not mean that there was not closure.

Loved the ending. If nothing else, it will be memorable. I sat there staring at the screen with my mouth open for about 30 seconds of credits, then said, "I can't believe they just ####### did that."By the way...boring? Phil got his ####### HEAD run over.
Elizabeth Berkley made out with Gina Gershon for three seconds in the closing moments of "Showgirls."That doesn't mean it's not one of the worst movies ever made.

Wheelhouse said:
We're all talking about an ending where there is no clear-cut answer. That alone makes it interesting. Unstatisfying? Maybe for some, but it definitely leaves questions. I have a few questions...

1. What was the reason for creating a delay in Meadow getting to the restaurant?

2. When Tony entered the restaurant, did he see himself sitting there? What does that represent?

3. What was the symbolism/meaning of the Sopranos eating at a meager restaurant that was a far cry from their usual?

At the very end, the last words sung before the blackout were "Don't Stop"

Don't stop what? Your thoughts?
The place they were eating is a locally famous place. Not a chain at all.Very Jersey

mr. furley said:
RAIDERNATION on suicide-watch?
Just trying to catch up on the posts. I have no problem with the way it ended. Just bummed that it's over. I think we're supposed to assume that T will be going to the can. Neil Mink always sounds upbeat when discussing possible charges ("If they had anything on you, there'd be bars between us as we speak"... etc), but this time he's making Tony aware that an indictment is a probability.

I haven't watched this thing in years, but caught the last couple of episodes and decided to let myself get hooked into the finale.

When the scene cut out my first thought was "&%$# my Tivo crapped out and I missed it".

Now I realize there was nothing to miss. The show's culmination was that the daughter cannot parallel park.

I guess I won't bother trying to catch up on what I missed for 4 years.

Alternative thoughts to the presence of the cat?

It's apparently a male cat. Tony says to Paulie "let it go, he's a good guy" referring to the cat. If it was supposed to be Adrianna re-incarnated, you'd think they'd at least throw us a bone, saying the cat was a female?! :kicksrock:

The show's culmination was that the daughter cannot parallel park.
:kicksrock: In all fairness I will say the tension in those final few minutes was extremely well done. As was the paranoia that will always be a part of Tony's life. Every stranger in a room is a potential threat. The only sanctuary is his family. In that respect, the final moments were extremely well done. But that still doesn't make it a satisfying end to the entire series for me.

Wheelhouse said:
We're all talking about an ending where there is no clear-cut answer. That alone makes it interesting. Unstatisfying? Maybe for some, but it definitely leaves questions. I have a few questions...1. What was the reason for creating a delay in Meadow getting to the restaurant?2. When Tony entered the restaurant, did he see himself sitting there? What does that represent? 3. What was the symbolism/meaning of the Sopranos eating at a meager restaurant that was a far cry from their usual?At the very end, the last words sung before the blackout were "Don't Stop"Don't stop what? Your thoughts?
Didn't mind the ending as I wasn't expecting Tony to get whacked on screen. Too much $$$ left for Chase to revisit The Sopranos again if Tony lives. The last scene was the most tense of any scene in the Sopranos run.Nice nod of the hat to The Godfather as well at the end.I like the symbolism black screen = death??? Bobby said to Tony: "Is it true that you don't hear it coming?"We were looking through Tony's eyes when he got whacked? Tony did not hear it coming - Screen went to black.Whats the deal with them eating at a diner at the end? Never would think that they would eat at a place like that. Never did before during the series.

The show's culmination was that the daughter cannot parallel park.
:hifive: In all fairness I will say the tension in those final few minutes was extremely well done. As was the paranoia that will always be a part of Tony's life. Every stranger in a room is a potential threat. The only sanctuary is his family. In that respect, the final moments were extremely well done. But that still doesn't make it a satisfying end to the entire series for me.
:kicksrock: :shrug:

I concur with the above. I thought my tivo chopped the end. Then I realized it was the end. Make way for the movie:

"Medow Parallells NYC"

Ending probably would have been better if Tony had whacked Phil without the blessing of the NY captains. Tony didn't need the captains to get to Phil. Then the notion that Tony got whacked would have some legs.

Paulie's ringtone (when Tony called him back to discuss the possible flip by Carlo) - the very little that we heard, sounded like "Cecilia" by Simon and Garfunkel.

Lyrics:

Celia, you're breaking my heart,

You're shaking my confidence daily.

Oh Cecilia, I'm down on my knees,

I'm begging you please to come home.

Come on home.

Making love in the afternoon with Cecilia

Up in my bedroom,

I got up to wash my face

When I come back to bed,

Someone's taken my place.

Jubilation,

She loves me again,

I fall on the floor and I laughing.

Jubilation,

She loves me again,

I fall on the floor and I laughing.

See any similarities?

In all fairness I will say the tension in those final few minutes was extremely well done. As was the paranoia that will always be a part of Tony's life. Every stranger in a room is a potential threat. The only sanctuary is his family. In that respect, the final moments were extremely well done.
:lmao: I was on the edge of my seat. Very well done.

Wheel, the Meadow parking issues was merely to build tension -- and it worked. I'm sure many figured that Tony, Carm and A.J. might get gunned down, and Meadow being delayed due to being a sucky parallel parker saved her from being in the crossfire.

Wheel, the Meadow parking issues was merely to build tension -- and it worked. I'm sure many figured that Tony, Carm and A.J. might get gunned down, and Meadow being delayed due to being a sucky parallel parker saved her from being in the crossfire.
That's what I thought was going to happen. Nobody liked my idea for an ending?

Only two things happened:

1) Phil got whacked, shot in the head, then had his head run over in front of a shocked, on-screen audience.

2) Chase wrote his daughter in the episode.

That's it.

The thing that has everyone pissed off, but most curious about, is the blackout, sad captain obvious. I believe if that wasn't there, then people would be less pissed off. :shrug:

I thought the guy that got up to go to the bathroom was undercover FBI, then he would cuff Tony and be taken out past a beleaguered and dissappointed Meadow who then would defend him since she just got hired by a law firm at $170k a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the guy that got up to go to the bathroom was undercover FBI, then he would cuff Tony and be taken out past a beleaguered and dissappointed Meadow who then would defend him since she just got hired by a law firm at $170k a year.
He wouldn't need to be undercover. They come with indictments and a smile.

Users who are viewing this thread