What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Longevity Thread** (2 Viewers)

Not really a fan of learning via podcasts, but this is a really good one about exercise and longevity. It hits upon the major talking points about the type/intensity/duration with practical applications of exercise physiology data, with scientific references sprinkled throughout. I definitely learned something.

Thanks. Can you give us a summary? Thanks.
please
A lot of stuff that’s been mentioned before:

Exercise is really important for healthy aging; physical fitness is one of the best predictors of all-cause mortality.

Being elite physically, as measured by vO2 max, improves survival five-fold over the least fit. And the biggest benefit is seen between the least fit and second lowest fitness quintile, so you don’t have to be an Olympian to get a lot of bang for your exercise buck.

For comparison purposes, smoking, or having diabetes increases risk of death ~40%.

It’s important to exercise regularly, both at a basal level (Zone 2, like brisk walking, where you can speak comfortably while exercising) and at lactate threshold (all out, HR zone 4/5, like 4 minute run/walk intervals). The latter helps bump up vO2 max, and may stave off dementia via something called BDNF.

150-300 minutes/week of mild-moderate exercise, or half as much high intensity + 2 sessions of strength training/week is recommended.

Resistance training is also associated with longevity. Both cardiovascular and strength training stimulate adaptations which preserve muscle, which is critical as we enter old age (65+).

Being sedentary for extended periods is detrimental to health. The podcast guest recommended exercise “snacks” - activity, rather than sitting, every 30 minutes at work.

Thank you. The one I see differing opinions on, and one I care about is the how much high intensity is needed. Seems like some talk just regular walking is enough but others say no, that you also must have the high intensity.

Not really a fan of learning via podcasts, but this is a really good one about exercise and longevity. It hits upon the major talking points about the type/intensity/duration with practical applications of exercise physiology data, with scientific references sprinkled throughout. I definitely learned something.

please

Exercise is really important for healthy aging; physical fitness is one of the best predictors of all-cause mortality.

Being elite physically, as measured by vO2 max, improves survival five-fold over the least fit. And the biggest benefit is seen between the least fit and second lowest fitness quintile, so you don’t have to be an Olympian to get a lot of bang for your exercise buck.

For comparison purposes, smoking, or having diabetes increases risk of death ~40%.

It’s important to exercise regularly, both at a basal level (Zone 2, like brisk walking, where you can speak comfortably while exercising) and at lactate threshold (all out, HR zone 4/5, like 4 minute run/walk intervals). The latter helps bump up vO2 max, and may stave off dementia via something called BDNF.

150-300 minutes/week of mild-moderate exercise, or half as much high intensity + 2 sessions of strength training/week is recommended.

Resistance training is also associated with longevity. Both cardiovascular and strength training stimulate adaptations which preserve muscle, which is critical as we enter old age (65+).

Being sedentary for extended periods is detrimental to health. The podcast guest recommended exercise “snacks” - activity, rather than sitting, every 30 minutes at work.

Thank you. The one I see differing opinions on, and one I care about is the how much high intensity is needed. Seems like some talk just regular walking is enough but others say no, that you also must have the high intensity.

High intensity interval training (HIIT) will improve VO2, where just simply walking, while great to do, won't improve VO2. VO2 takes a long time to improve as well, it just doesn't happen overnight.

I hope this helps.

From the NYT article linked above: Research consistently finds that people who are classified as overweight have a lower risk of death than those who are normal or underweight.

Fatties rejoice!
It also mentions some problems with that finding, not the least of which is undiagnosed disease being the cause of weight loss, and smokers being included in early studies. When smokers and people diagnosed with stuff like cancer contributing to weight loss are excluded, the healthiest BMI is between 20-22, or possibly lower.

In other words, non-smokers who are thin voluntarily tend to live the longest.

please

It's all a balance, as high intensity stuff is more likely to cause injury. And being injured can sideline you from consistent exercise, and/or cause chronic pain.

The video says both are important, and recommends a base of consistent low-moderate intensity exercise (like 30-60 minutes of walking a day), with a few (2-3) sessions of 4x4 minute high intensity intervals. Plus resistance exercise 2X/week (men tend to overdo this part of the equation, at the expense of CV fitness).

They go on to say you can use streetlights as markers for beginner intervals - walk from one to the next, then try briskly walking between the next two, followed by usual walking speed, etc. You gradually ramp up the quick speed segments, such that eventually you're sprinting between every other set of lights.

But @notoriousbill is right, vO2 max won't really budge with casual walking (unless you're starting from extremely deconditioned/sedentary).

All that said, you don't need to train for ultramarathons, or participate in CrossFit, to attain a decent vO2 max.

I prefer ramping up my HR walking hills, to avoid wear and tear on my joints. And while I won't be winning any races with the 10K guys, I also am probably less likely to need a knee replacement. I'm willing to accept that trade-off.

ETA Between walking hills, hiking, climbing, and skiing, in some combination, most days of the year, I've been able to attain a vO2 max around the 95th percentile for my age and gender (per iWatch estimates, which are ?validity).

Last edited:

please

It's all a balance, as high intensity stuff is more likely to cause injury. And being injured can sideline you from consistent exercise, and/or cause chronic pain.

The video says both are important, and recommends a base of consistent low-moderate intensity exercise (like 30-60 minutes of walking a day), with a few (2-3) sessions of 4x4 minute high intensity intervals. Plus resistance exercise 2X/week (men tend to overdo this part of the equation, at the expense of CV fitness).

They go on to say you can use streetlights as markers for beginner intervals - walk from one to the next, then try briskly walking between the next two, followed by usual walking speed, etc. You gradually ramp up the quick speed segments, such that eventually you're sprinting between every other set of lights.

But @notoriousbill is right, vO2 max won't really budge with casual walking (unless you're starting from extremely deconditioned/sedentary).

All that said, you don't need to train for ultramarathons, or participate in CrossFit, to attain a decent vO2 max.

I prefer ramping up my HR walking hills, to avoid wear and tear on my joints. And while I won't be winning any races with the 10K guys, I also am probably less likely to need a knee replacement. I'm willing to accept that trade-off.

ETA Between walking hills, hiking, climbing, and skiing, in some combination, most days of the year, I've been able to attain a vO2 max around the 95th percentile for my age and gender (per iWatch estimates, which are ?validity).
@Terminalxylem is spot on. Walking is very good, especially incorporating hills in the walks. That will get heart pumping for sure.

I started at over 300 lbs 3 years ago. Just did diet to start with and lost over 50 lbs. I then incorporated walking as a daily activity; I'd walk 4 miles every day (2 in morning and 2 at lunch). Lost over 50 more lbs. My VO2 was 28 (November 2022 - I was 56) which is well below average. I then started incorporating 1/4 mile "repeats" of walking and slow jogs. VO2 started going up gradually. By June 2023 it increased to 34 which put me in the Average category. I started running in June 2023 incorporating 5 mile Tempo Runs and 5-5.5 mile repeat runs into my workouts along with an Effort Run on Saturday and an easy run on Sunday. I do 4 miles on elliptical between Tempo Run and Repeats as well as between Repeats and Effort Run. I take a well deserved rest day every Monday. My weight is 175ish and VO2 is 40 which is Above Average for a 58 year old. My goal is to get it over 41.

I hope this helps and again, walking is an excellent way to get cardio in and can improve VO2 if you incorporate hills and some repeats into workout as well. Key is getting heart rate up and recovering , rinse and repeat...

Users who are viewing this thread