What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MT's Health-Related 2018 Resolutions (1 Viewer)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
Is that like a months worth of food?
This batch was probably around 10,000 calories, so about a week's worth if I don't eat anything else. (It's extremely filling per calorie, so it's a real challenge to eat more than about 1,400 calories per day of it.)

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
My best intentions would add a fourth pillar to diet, exercise and sleep - meditation. Sam Harris just dropped a podcast on the science of meditation which I'm looking forward too. Alas, Sam Harris podcasts are also my go-to for lullaby material. It might take a few attempts.
Sam Harris’s book on that topic, Waking Up, is terrific. So is Robert Wright’s book, Why Buddhism Is True. They complement each other quite well.
Really good article by Robert Wright:

https://www.wired.com/2017/08/the-science-and-philosophy-of-mindfulness-meditation/

Mister CIA

Footballguy
I enjoyed reading that, and with the added bonus I now know what a "way station" is, having looked it up, expecting to call out the writer on not using "weigh station."

I signed up for the 10% Happier app. I think I like it, but work severely interrupted my sleep patterns this past week, which drained me of all good intentions. Hope to get my money's worth this week.

steelerfan1

Footballguy
@Maurile Tremblay

Looks like a super researched plan MT.

I'm assuming you aren't a believer that grains are the devil then? Have read all sorts of nasty about that along with dairy regarding inflammation.

Am trying to come up with my own menu so to speak and was going to replace oatmeal for potatoes with my eggs in the morning.

Also, your thoughts on kefir, Greek yogurt, cheese and Kerry Gold type butter?

steelerfan1

Footballguy
Also regarding your canned fish. Read some scary stuff about BPA which is in those types of cans. Wild Planet brand I believe has almost zero, but who knows if what they use is any better...

Sorry to be all over the map here, but also heard soy isn't great for a male?

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
steelerfan1 said:
@Maurile Tremblay

Looks like a super researched plan MT.

I'm assuming you aren't a believer that grains are the devil then? Have read all sorts of nasty about that along with dairy regarding inflammation.

Am trying to come up with my own menu so to speak and was going to replace oatmeal for potatoes with my eggs in the morning.

Also, your thoughts on kefir, Greek yogurt, cheese and Kerry Gold type butter?

steelerfan1 said:
Also regarding your canned fish. Read some scary stuff about BPA which is in those types of cans. Wild Planet brand I believe has almost zero, but who knows if what they use is any better...

Sorry to be all over the map here, but also heard soy isn't great for a male?
Grains aren't the devil. People who avoid grains often improve their diets by doing so, but that's not because grains are bad per se. It's because most junk foods contain grains, so avoiding grains means avoiding junk foods. Most junk foods are some combination or subset of refined flour, refined sugar, and refined oil, all of which are nutritionally unhelpful. But there's a big difference between whole-grain oats and refined flour, just like there's a big difference between a banana and refined sugar, or between a plate of olives and a glob of vegetable oil.

Here is much more than you wanted to know about wheat.

More generally, you can tell that a food isn't inherently bad when it's a traditional staple in a culture that is renowned for its good health. The Swiss mountaineers in the Loetschental valley were well known for their good health when they lived on a diet of mostly rye and dairy. Same with the Hunza when they ate mainly grains, fruits, and nuts. Same with the Irish when they ate mainly potatoes, oats, and fish.

For the most part, I think vegetables are preferable to grains. But oats in particular seem worthwhile if you like them.

Regarding kefir, yogurt, cheese, and butter, I think there's a lot of good stuff in them, but they are pretty calorie-dense, and butter in particular makes things more delicious than they otherwise would be ... so they're all probably better for people trying to gain weight than for people trying to lose weight.

(There is plenty of individual variation on foods like grains and dairy, though, with some people tolerating them much better than others.)

I don't know much about BPA. I hope that eating one can of salmon every week or two isn't a big deal. (Plus a can of sardines every week or two, but I think those cans are BPA-free.)

I also don't know much about soy. I don't eat it much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nugget

Footballguy
How long does the Master Stew keep in the freezer?   Also, how often and for how long do you fast?

Users who are viewing this thread