What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (2 Viewers)

Had high hopes for this guy this season -- waited late to draft a QB and he was the best one available. Oh woe is me. He seems to make poor decisions, particularly in the red zone, and he has no one to throw to but Gates and occassionally LT. Rivers may be dropped for Harrington this week. :shrug: :screwed:
Watch Out! ! !I started a post like this once and was lambasted by Donald Pinchin.

So if that's the case, and it is, then who should we be pointing the finger at for the O-line and WR play? AJ? After all, he's the one that assembled the players that remain in SD. I really do think AJ's actions have placed this team in a negative situation. They will likely win their division but I seriously doubt they have any real shot at the S.B.
Most people felt the OL was solid going into the season, though it's not at full strength right now. The WR's played very well imo, particularly Chambers who AJ brought in.It's been about a month since their last loss, and I think every team in the NFL that doesn't play it's home games in Foxboro are going to have an uphill climb to win the SB.
Not sure I agree with this because based on what we saw last year most thought SD was the team to beat. And if not for a boneheaded play against NE in the playoffs, they had them beat. So taking that momemtum into this year left alot of us feeling they were the team to beat. But I also think AJ's actions did more than just change the leadership on the team. It's also allowed the chemistry, momemtun and direction of the team go awry.
It isn't over yet. I recall the Steelers having a rough 2005 coming off their 15-1 season. They got hot at the end of the year and blew through the playoffs. It could easily happen that way for the Chargers this year.
Easily?

I know some will argue my take on this but I would love to see how things would turn out if they had Brees, Marty and their coordinators. They might already have the division wrapped up by now.Another thought. I have expressed my disdain for AJ in the past for among other things letting Brees and Marty go. But I've read some of the posts of AJ defenders explaining the play of Rivers by being the fault of the WR's and the O-line. In reading these explanations I am reminded of their arguments that AJ is the one who assembled the talent that resides in SD. So if that's the case, and it is, then who should we be pointing the finger at for the O-line and WR play? AJ? After all, he's the one that assembled the players that remain in SD. I really do think AJ's actions have placed this team in a negative situation. They will likely win their division but I seriously doubt they have any real shot at the S.B.
LaDainain Tomlinson had a terrible day today also. Do you think the Bolts would be better off with Michael Turner in the backfield?
I don't really think he had a bad day. He didn't have any holes and that was enhanced by the fact SD ran him straight up the middle into MIN good run stopping DT's all day long on first down. The play calling today on offense was horrendous.
Sounds like they could use Marty. Real bad. But again, this is what AJ wanted.

I know some will argue my take on this but I would love to see how things would turn out if they had Brees, Marty and their coordinators. They might already have the division wrapped up by now.
Well, there's a couple problems with this;- If Brees would have had the protection that Rivers had today the game wouldn't have been ANY closer. Not a bit. Did you happen to see the first several games of the season when Brees was given no time by his OL?- It certainly would have been great if SD could have kept "Marty and their coordinators". In this dreamworld could we also have Kellen Winslow SR, Wes Chandler and John Jefferson in their prime? Gary Johnson? Gill Byrd? Because the idea they could have kept "Marty and their coordinators" this off season is just as much fantasy.
I think the experience Brees has would help overcome some of the protection issues. Experience is very valuable especially for a QB. Speculating this is fun but we'll never know if he would do better or not.As for keeping Marty and Brees, that was a "real" possibility. AJ wanted them gone and so they are. There were so other players allowed to leave as well.What's left is what AJ wanted so now we're seeing the results of his genious.
AJ never wanted "Marty AND THE COORDINATORS" gone.I'll just assume you've never seen a game Brees has played with no protection. It's not speculation, it's happened several times with pretty consistent results.
So you're saying AJ wanted Marty to stay? That's news to everyone in the free world my man. :thumbup:

I know some will argue my take on this but I would love to see how things would turn out if they had Brees, Marty and their coordinators. They might already have the division wrapped up by now.
Well, there's a couple problems with this;- If Brees would have had the protection that Rivers had today the game wouldn't have been ANY closer. Not a bit. Did you happen to see the first several games of the season when Brees was given no time by his OL?- It certainly would have been great if SD could have kept "Marty and their coordinators". In this dreamworld could we also have Kellen Winslow SR, Wes Chandler and John Jefferson in their prime? Gary Johnson? Gill Byrd? Because the idea they could have kept "Marty and their coordinators" this off season is just as much fantasy.
I think the experience Brees has would help overcome some of the protection issues. Experience is very valuable especially for a QB. Speculating this is fun but we'll never know if he would do better or not.As for keeping Marty and Brees, that was a "real" possibility. AJ wanted them gone and so they are. There were so other players allowed to leave as well.What's left is what AJ wanted so now we're seeing the results of his genious.
The Chargers have one of the best records in football the past 3-4 seasons, after being perhaps the least talented franchise when AJ took over. Please link to the threads where you praised AJ for signing Gates as an undrafted FA, trading Eli for Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding, McCardell, signing Dielman for 10M under the Seahawk offer, trading for Chambers, etc.TIA
And who was their head coach? And where is he now? Oh that's right, AJ wanted him gone. Now he's stuck with a guy that can't lead his team. And now they are under performing. As for Gates, AJ nearly blew that one. In fact, you could argue that if not for Gates willingness and desire to want the deal to be done that he wouldn't even be there. AJ was even willing to blow a game over the negotitions. Not too smart IMO. The object to help your team win, not lose.Look, you can't give AJ credit for all the wins when Marty was there and then defend him for the losses they are having now. You can't have it both ways. AJ made the moves as you have pointed out and they are where they are tahnks to his ego.

I've been preaching this since I saw him play for the first time:Rivers has an absolute rag arm. It is Chad Pennington-esqe. He is so lucky he has Gates and LT to make him look much better then he is.
Seems like AJ Smith's master plan is unravelling before his eyes. I still feel they needed to keep Drew Brees. Marty fought to keep Drew Brees. With Drew Brees they might have very well gone all the way last year and would definitely be contending again this year, given Marty was still there this year too.
The Chargers had a better record in Philip Rivers' first year than any year under Drew Brees. I don't know any Charger fans who would rather have Drew Brees. None.
I wonder why they did so well last year but not do well this year? What could possibly be different? Thinking.......oh that's right. AJ allowed all the coaches to get away and then fired the head coach. Or he got Spanos to do it for him that is. As for the QB, you are not seeing what many have stated in past threads, and in this one. To suggest that Rivers is a better QB than Brees is really ignoring what is plainly obvious to most football folks. In fact, I think most every GM in the NFL would take Brees over Rivers if given the chance. Everyone excepot AJ that is.

I've been preaching this since I saw him play for the first time:Rivers has an absolute rag arm. It is Chad Pennington-esqe. He is so lucky he has Gates and LT to make him look much better then he is.
Seems like AJ Smith's master plan is unravelling before his eyes. I still feel they needed to keep Drew Brees. Marty fought to keep Drew Brees. With Drew Brees they might have very well gone all the way last year and would definitely be contending again this year, given Marty was still there this year too.
The Chargers had a better record in Philip Rivers' first year than any year under Drew Brees. I don't know any Charger fans who would rather have Drew Brees. None.
I wonder why they did so well last year but not do well this year? What could possibly be different? Thinking.......oh that's right. AJ allowed all the coaches to get away and then fired the head coach. Or he got Spanos to do it for him that is. As for the QB, you are not seeing what many have stated in past threads, and in this one. To suggest that Rivers is a better QB than Brees is really ignoring what is plainly obvious to most football folks. In fact, I think most every GM in the NFL would take Brees over Rivers if given the chance. Everyone excepot AJ that is.
:) Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.

:lmao: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. ;)

I have been watching Rivers a lot this year and "suck" may be too strong, but I definitely have doubts of him being an elite QB. If the team is running the ball well, setting up the play option, and he has time, he is good. But if they have to play from behind and the defense knows he is throwing, he is not that good. I am regretting drafting him in my redraft but very happy I don't have him in dynasty. IMO, it is time to try and unload him.

Family Matters, your arguments are so uninformed, it kills any valid points you might actually have to make. I have personally seen you corrected in numerous threads, but you refuse to accept the facts (e.g., the Gates holdout, the coaching change, the QB change). There is really no reason for you to continue posting in Chargers threads - it is clear you aren't listening and do not have an open mind as to the facts of the situation, and you aren't convincing anyone else.

Rivers is terrible on the move or outside the pocket. If you can get him to move around he seems to get out of his comfort zone. All his worst games have been when the other team has had some sort of pass rush and once he starts to scramble around he looks lost.

He's very accurate as long as he's sitting comfortably in the pocket and when that isn't the case all bets are off.

The Chargers have one of the best records in football the past 3-4 seasons, after being perhaps the least talented franchise when AJ took over. Please link to the threads where you praised AJ for signing Gates as an undrafted FA, trading Eli for Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding, McCardell, signing Dielman for 10M under the Seahawk offer, trading for Chambers, etc.TIA
And who was their head coach? And where is he now? Oh that's right, AJ wanted him gone. Now he's stuck with a guy that can't lead his team. And now they are under performing. As for Gates, AJ nearly blew that one. In fact, you could argue that if not for Gates willingness and desire to want the deal to be done that he wouldn't even be there. AJ was even willing to blow a game over the negotitions. Not too smart IMO. The object to help your team win, not lose.Look, you can't give AJ credit for all the wins when Marty was there and then defend him for the losses they are having now. You can't have it both ways. AJ made the moves as you have pointed out and they are where they are tahnks to his ego.
Hard to believe that defensive genius AJ brought in has escaped scrutiny so far.Cottrell is a total imcompetent but at least he is totally committed to AJ for saving his career.He singlehandedly has made Merriman ineffective (of course maybe the lack of steroids is playing a role as well)

Rivers is terrible on the move or outside the pocket. If you can get him to move around he seems to get out of his comfort zone. All his worst games have been when the other team has had some sort of pass rush and once he starts to scramble around he looks lost. He's very accurate as long as he's sitting comfortably in the pocket and when that isn't the case all bets are off.
Gee what team in the NFL doesnt try to get pressure on the QB. Going to be long seasons with the Norv/Rivers/Cotrell combo. Bring back Mike Riley i say

Rivers is terrible on the move or outside the pocket. If you can get him to move around he seems to get out of his comfort zone. All his worst games have been when the other team has had some sort of pass rush and once he starts to scramble around he looks lost. He's very accurate as long as he's sitting comfortably in the pocket and when that isn't the case all bets are off.
Gee what team in the NFL doesnt try to get pressure on the QB. Going to be long seasons with the Norv/Rivers/Cotrell combo. Bring back Mike Riley i say
Everyone tries but not everyone breaks down when a rusher gets through.

:goodposting: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :goodposting:
Hint: Brees has been just as inconsistent as Rivers this year.No GM can stop coordinators from taking head coaching jobs. Any team and fan for that matter would trade holding out a player for one game (Gates) if it meant locking him up to a long term contract at a bargain rate. I don't know why I even writing this out. This has already been rehashed to you numerous times and in numerous threads. You either lack simple reading comprehension skills or are just a troll.

:goodposting: I noticed the same thing as well.

I saw Rivers wearing an "I love Piggly Wiggly" T-shirt last week at a press conference. I officially gave up on him as a potential champion level NFL QB at that very moment. Kindof describles him in a nutshell for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
there was another, more heated thread, around Rivers "not being so bad". i don't think he's bad, but what i had stated REPEATEDLY, was Rivers lack of consistency. the guy finishes in the Top 10-15, and I shake my head. then i look at his weekly stat line:

9.2 pts

24.7 pts

5.4 pts

4.8 pts

31.3 pts

9.1 pts

i'll say it again... i'd rather have a guy who puts up 190 pts (arbitrarily speaking), with posting 10-15 pts EVERY week, vs. a Rivers who may put up 195 pts, posting a 4 one week, then a 22 the next.

in other words, i'll take 95% at 100% consistency vs 100% at 50% consistency.

rivers will explode next week. go figur'

:thumbup: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :wall:
Hint: Brees has been just as inconsistent as Rivers this year.
Don't just throw out statements like that, without factual knowledge/representation.Brees started out slow, and was pretty much consistently sucking, ..have you checked the LAST FOUR STRAIGHT WEEKS of Brees and Rivers? And I see little sign that will let up. This was the MINNESOTA pass defense too... not the Ravens or Chicago of '06. While where Brees shoulda had "an off" week to throw a wrench of inconsistency in... he continued to post his numbers. Brees is anything but inconsistent now. I don't even own the guy in any league, either.Looks at the swings in Rivers outcomes.(grabbing one of my leagues scoring systems)Rivers : 4.4 9.5 24.2 2.5 25.2 4.9 19 5.3 Brees: 2.4 15 -1.9 6.6 20.3 16.7 32.8 32.9

there was another, more heated thread, around Rivers "not being so bad". i don't think he's bad, but what i had stated REPEATEDLY, was Rivers lack of consistency. the guy finishes in the Top 10-15, and I shake my head. then i look at his weekly stat line:9.2 pts24.7 pts5.4 pts4.8 pts31.3 pts9.1 ptsi'll say it again... i'd rather have a guy who puts up 190 pts (arbitrarily speaking), with posting 10-15 pts EVERY week, vs. a Rivers who may put up 195 pts, posting a 4 one week, then a 22 the next.in other words, i'll take 95% at 100% consistency vs 100% at 50% consistency.rivers will explode next week. go figur'
:thumbup: This was one of my arguments against him.I even went so far to say that I liked Rivers this week on my Atlantic City radio appearance with the bad passing defense in Minnesota. Horribly wrong there. If he can't light up Minnesota, when will he put up good numbers?That's what so infuriating about players like Rivers, to throw a blanket over all inconsistent players - I'd rather have someone like Marvin Harrison who is out 2-3 weeks but will give you a good performance when healthy consistently than an up and down player like Rivers week after week. Even if you put Rivers in the category of a "good spot start vs. good matchups", that argument fell apart on Sunday. Yes it was one game, but again Rivers could have cost your fantasy team.

The Chargers had a better record in Philip Rivers' first year than any year under Drew Brees. I don't know any Charger fans who would rather have Drew Brees. None.f
:thumbup: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :wall:
Don't just throw out statements like that, without factual knowledge/representation.Brees started out slow, and was pretty much consistently sucking, ..have you checked the LAST FOUR STRAIGHT WEEKS of Brees? And I see little sign that will let up. Looks at the swings in Rivers outcomes.(grabbing one of my leagues scoring systems)Rivers : 4.4 9.5 24.2 2.5 25.2 4.9 19 5.3 Brees: 2.4 15 -1.9 6.6 20.3 16.7 32.8 32.9
You are talking about fantasy and I'm talking about reality. Peyton Manning in the Chargers offense wouldn't put up the fantasy numbers that Brees did last year. Try looking at Brees' numbers when he was with the Chargers if you are still confused.

Forget Eli - they could have made the trade and still come away with a great QB if they'd only chose Roethlisberger over Rivers.

:thankyouchargers:

Evilgrin 72 said:
Forget Eli - they could have made the trade and still come away with a great QB if they'd only chose Roethlisberger over Rivers.:thankyouchargers:
I think the Giants took Rivers so they could trade him back. Then the Steelers took Ben. Only QB the Bolts "picked" that year was She-Li....

Just Win Baby said:
Family Matters, your arguments are so uninformed, it kills any valid points you might actually have to make. I have personally seen you corrected in numerous threads, but you refuse to accept the facts (e.g., the Gates holdout, the coaching change, the QB change). There is really no reason for you to continue posting in Chargers threads - it is clear you aren't listening and do not have an open mind as to the facts of the situation, and you aren't convincing anyone else.
Valid points? You want to argue 4-4? So if a few Charger homers and AJ apologists such as yourself come in here bashing on me stating I'm wrong because they believe differently (or at least wish things were different) then that makes it fact? Oh ok. What was I thinking. :popcorn: At the end of the day, no matter what you or I believe, the Chargers are not as good as they were the past 2 years. Plain and simple. And you can thank AJ for where they are today. Now if they come back and win the SB then I will be the first to apologize and say what a great GM he is. Until that happens, please accept the fact that they are one the biggest disappointments in the NFL right now.

Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :thumbup:
Hint: Brees has been just as inconsistent as Rivers this year.No GM can stop coordinators from taking head coaching jobs. Any team and fan for that matter would trade holding out a player for one game (Gates) if it meant locking him up to a long term contract at a bargain rate. I don't know why I even writing this out. This has already been rehashed to you numerous times and in numerous threads. You either lack simple reading comprehension skills or are just a troll.
Most likely you're just a homer that can't accept the facts. But who really cares anyway? Your post is a great example of seeing this with AJ colored lenses. They went from a 14-2 team to 4-4 with basically the same personel. The only difference is the coaches. AJ is the common link here. I'm just trying to give credit where credit is due.

Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :thumbup:
Most likely you're just a homer that can't accept the facts. But who really cares anyway? Your post is a great example of seeing this with AJ colored lenses. They went from a 14-2 team to 4-4 with basically the same personel. The only difference is the coaches. AJ is the common link here. I'm just trying to give credit where credit is due.
Aj has made some bad decisions, but overall I think he is one ofthe best GMs in the game.

Mr. PadresLakers said:
shakeybarn said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
The Chargers had a better record in Philip Rivers' first year than any year under Drew Brees. I don't know any Charger fans who would rather have Drew Brees. None.f
Don't just throw out statements like that, without factual knowledge/representation.Brees started out slow, and was pretty much consistently sucking, ..have you checked the LAST FOUR STRAIGHT WEEKS of Brees? And I see little sign that will let up. Looks at the swings in Rivers outcomes.(grabbing one of my leagues scoring systems)Rivers : 4.4 9.5 24.2 2.5 25.2 4.9 19 5.3 Brees: 2.4 15 -1.9 6.6 20.3 16.7 32.8 32.9
You are talking about fantasy and I'm talking about reality. Peyton Manning in the Chargers offense wouldn't put up the fantasy numbers that Brees did last year. Try looking at Brees' numbers when he was with the Chargers if you are still confused.
And yet you provide us with another example of "I don't know what I'm talking about" moment. So let's do look at Brees and his fantasy production when he was with the Chargers. In fact here's his last 2 years:2004: His fantasy rank was 11 with only 15 games played.2005: His fantasy rank was 7. Which BTW- is where he ranked so far this year. And one could argue that Rivers has had better WR's than Brees ever had. And one could argue that Rivers has a way better cast around him including on defense. But then that would make your point even more silly than it already is.

Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
:confused: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :shrug:
Aj has made some bad decisions, but overall I think he is one ofthe best GMs in the game.
Bad decisions? You think after letting Brees go and firing Schotty after a 14-2 season he is still one of the best GMs in the game?

Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
:confused: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :shrug:
And I will not argue that because there are many aspects of his job that he excels at. For example as a talent evaluator and drafter he's as good as there is. But there's more to it than that. And for all the good he's done he's also allowed his ego to cloud his judgement and make decisons that aren't in the best interest of the team. Marty is just 1 example of that. Brees is another. Sadly, a few on this board would rather bash me in response rather then recognize this issue. But that's what homers do sometimes so I just come to realize they will act that way.

Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
And I will not argue that because there are many aspects of his job that he excels at. For example as a talent evaluator and drafter he's as good as there is. But there's more to it than that. And for all the good he's done he's also allowed his ego to cloud his judgement and make decisons that aren't in the best interest of the team. Marty is just 1 example of that. Brees is another. Sadly, a few on this board would rather bash me in response rather then recognize this issue. But that's what homers do sometimes so I just come to realize they will act that way.
I agree, I am a homer and have been critical of AJ for the Brees and Marty thing. Most homers dont want to critize him cause AJ has turned us from picking #1 overall a couple times into a legit playoff team.

Just Win Baby said:
Valid points? You want to argue 4-4? So if a few Charger homers and AJ apologists such as yourself come in here bashing on me stating I'm wrong because they believe differently (or at least wish things were different) then that makes it fact? Oh ok. What was I thinking. :) At the end of the day, no matter what you or I believe, the Chargers are not as good as they were the past 2 years. Plain and simple. And you can thank AJ for where they are today. Now if they come back and win the SB then I will be the first to apologize and say what a great GM he is. Until that happens, please accept the fact that they are one the biggest disappointments in the NFL right now.
I do accept and agree that they are a big disappointment. I was merely commenting on a number of posts you have consistently made for months that are factually incorrect. In this particular post, you avoided that. Kudos.I like how you have set the bar for A.J. He is only a great GM if the Chargers win the Super Bowl. Do you hold other GMs to the same standard? If you are basing that on the fact that the Chargers were a strong contender last season, then it would seem you'd need to give A.J. some credit for that.Sorry, I actually tried to start reasoning with you... never mind.

Mr. PadresLakers said:
shakeybarn said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
Mr. PadresLakers said:
Family Matters said:
tommyGunZ said:
I've been preaching this since I saw him play for the first time:

Rivers has an absolute rag arm. It is Chad Pennington-esqe. He is so lucky he has Gates and LT to make him look much better then he is.
:goodposting: Good to see fellow "Charger fan" Family Matters back again rehashing the same old tired uninformed arguments.
Or maybe there's some truth in what's happening to the Chargers. Maybe their record could shed some light on the issues?Of course I could spend all my time expressing my concenrs for my beloved Bengals, but that would be an exercise in futility. At least the Chargers have a GM. :lmao:
Don't just throw out statements like that, without factual knowledge/representation.Brees started out slow, and was pretty much consistently sucking, ..have you checked the LAST FOUR STRAIGHT WEEKS of Brees? And I see little sign that will let up.

Looks at the swings in Rivers outcomes.

(grabbing one of my leagues scoring systems)

Rivers :

Brees:

You are talking about fantasy and I'm talking about reality.

Peyton Manning in the Chargers offense wouldn't put up the fantasy numbers that Brees did last year. Try looking at Brees' numbers when he was with the Chargers if you are still confused.
And yet you provide us with another example of "I don't know what I'm talking about" moment. So let's do look at Brees and his fantasy production when he was with the Chargers. In fact here's his last 2 years:2004: His fantasy rank was 11 with only 15 games played.

2005: His fantasy rank was 7. Which BTW- is where he ranked so far this year.

And one could argue that Rivers has had better WR's than Brees ever had. And one could argue that Rivers has a way better cast around him including on defense. But then that would make your point even more silly than it already is.
Once again try reading again.I'm not interested in fantasy points.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb.php

Rivers with the Chargers

2006: 5th best QB

2007: 13th best QB (so far not counting yesterdays game)

Brees with the Chargers

2002: 25th best QB

2003: 41st best QB

2004: 9th best QB

2005: 7th best QB

Brees with the Saints BTW

2006: 3rd best QB

2007: 21st best QB (so far not counting yesterdays game)

So explain to me once again why the Chargers should have paid Brees top money when they could get similar efficient production from their younger and cheaper draft pick.

Bet they wish they had Eli right about now.
Would rather have Carr, Joey, or even Grossman rather than She-li......
ahh .. you guys are all novices when it comes to having sucky QBs.I drafted: Bulger, Alex Smith, Grossman.I ended up picking up Harrington and McCown during the course of the year. .... just stick a fork in me because i'm done

Rivers with the Chargers

:angry: :hifive: :lmao: link doesnt work btw
:shrug: Works for meBTW Rothlisberger is in 12th :excited:
I'm not sure how much credence I'd lend that stat. Ben has a 64.6% comp pctg, averaging 219 ypg and 8.0 ypa and has 15 TDs to 6 INTs. Rivers has a 61.5% comp pct, averages 205 ypg and 7.1 ypa and has 10 TDs to 8 INTs. Roethlisberger has been much, much better.

Rivers with the Chargers

:lmao: :mellow: :lmao: link doesnt work btw
:shrug: Works for meBTW Rothlisberger is in 12th :)
I'm not sure how much credence I'd lend that stat. Ben has a 64.6% comp pctg, averaging 219 ypg and 8.0 ypa and has 15 TDs to 6 INTs. Rivers has a 61.5% comp pct, averages 205 ypg and 7.1 ypa and has 10 TDs to 8 INTs. Roethlisberger has been much, much better.
The formula must have a West Coast Bias.

Family Matters said:
BoltBacker said:
I know some will argue my take on this but I would love to see how things would turn out if they had Brees, Marty and their coordinators. They might already have the division wrapped up by now.Another thought. I have expressed my disdain for AJ in the past for among other things letting Brees and Marty go. But I've read some of the posts of AJ defenders explaining the play of Rivers by being the fault of the WR's and the O-line. In reading these explanations I am reminded of their arguments that AJ is the one who assembled the talent that resides in SD. So if that's the case, and it is, then who should we be pointing the finger at for the O-line and WR play? AJ? After all, he's the one that assembled the players that remain in SD. I really do think AJ's actions have placed this team in a negative situation. They will likely win their division but I seriously doubt they have any real shot at the S.B.
LaDainain Tomlinson had a terrible day today also. Do you think the Bolts would be better off with Michael Turner in the backfield?
I don't really think he had a bad day. He didn't have any holes and that was enhanced by the fact SD ran him straight up the middle into MIN good run stopping DT's all day long on first down. The play calling today on offense was horrendous.
Marty didn't call the plays in SD. I'm not surprised that you didn't know this.

Rivers with the Chargers

:lmao: :bs: :lmao: link doesnt work btw
:excited: Works for meBTW Rothlisberger is in 12th :stalker:
The LHUCKS formula?

Family Matters said:
BoltBacker said:
TommyG is here to set you straight!

Rivers with the Chargers

:thumbup: Works for meBTW Rothlisberger is in 12th ;)
The LHUCKS formula?
Nah that formula would have Leinart in 1st and Rivers in last.

Rivers with the Chargers

:thumbup: Works for meBTW Rothlisberger is in 12th ;)
The LHUCKS formula?
Nah that formula would have Leinart in 1st and Rivers in last.
:lmao:

Family Matters said:
BoltBacker said:
It was probably AJ. :shrug:

Family Matters said:
BoltBacker said:
It was probably AJ. :popcorn:
Nah it was Cam Cameron, now head coach of the 0-8 Miami Dolphins. You know one of the coordinators that AJ Smith let get away by not creating the league's first head coaching Triumvirate of Marty, Wade and Cameron.

tommyGunZ said:
Family Matters said:
BoltBacker said:
tommyGunZ said:
Family Matters said:
Don't interrupt him with facts. After all, didn't you know AJ ran not only Marty out of town but Cameron and Wade too?! He's got a creative take on the past.

tommyGunZ said:
There's one here somewhere. Maybe Gr00vus, but I'm not sure.

Family Matters said:
Just Win Baby said:
Valid points? You want to argue 4-4? So if a few Charger homers and AJ apologists such as yourself come in here bashing on me stating I'm wrong because they believe differently (or at least wish things were different) then that makes it fact? Oh ok. What was I thinking. :unsure:
I generally don't actively dispute your opinions. I sometimes dispute your factual assertions, and when I do, I generally provide links.I don't think Just Win Baby was calling you uninformed because you hold different opinions than many Chargers homers do. I think his contention is that you frequently make misstatements of fact.
At the end of the day, no matter what you or I believe, the Chargers are not as good as they were the past 2 years.
They're not as good as they were last year, but who is? Maybe two NFL teams?The Chargers may be as good as they were two years ago. Or not. It'll be easier to tell at the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread