What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (4 Viewers)

While I think Norv Turner is the #1 reason the Chargers have not reached the Super Bowl, Phillip Rivers has to be a disappointment by now, no?We heard for years how Eli was not as good as Rivers, the Giants gave up too much, blah, blah, blah...but what has Rivers done? They have had a good enough defense. They have good weapons on offense. It's a mystery. Ben has been to 2. Eli is in his 2nd. :confused:
Rivers was disappointing in 2011. He'd been fantastic before that. I'd still take him over Eli and Ben if I were starting a team from scratch.
fishing? At this point and after all the clutch wins Ben and Eli have accomplished it has to be fishing

While I think Norv Turner is the #1 reason the Chargers have not reached the Super Bowl, Phillip Rivers has to be a disappointment by now, no?We heard for years how Eli was not as good as Rivers, the Giants gave up too much, blah, blah, blah...but what has Rivers done? They have had a good enough defense. They have good weapons on offense. It's a mystery. Ben has been to 2. Eli is in his 2nd. :confused:
Rivers was disappointing in 2011. He'd been fantastic before that. I'd still take him over Eli and Ben if I were starting a team from scratch.
fishing? At this point and after all the clutch wins Ben and Eli have accomplished it has to be fishing
He's not fishing, he's merely a homer.

well the main reason in the AFC is: NE Pit Indy one of these 3 teams pretty much go to the Superbowl every year recently. SD hasnt made the playoffs in 2 seasons because AJ smith has had some downright terrible drafts and the Defense is putrid.
Understandable, but I am pretty sure Eli beat the Nearly Perfect Patriots.Plus, the Giants went through 2 really tough NFC teams in the Packers and Niners this year. I think those teams whould be on par with Pitt and Indy teams of the past.

No you wouldn't, but that was a pretty solid sales job you tried to pitch.

well the main reason in the AFC is: NE Pit Indy one of these 3 teams pretty much go to the Superbowl every year recently. SD hasnt made the playoffs in 2 seasons because AJ smith has had some downright terrible drafts and the Defense is putrid.
Understandable, but I am pretty sure Eli beat the Nearly Perfect Patriots.Plus, the Giants went through 2 really tough NFC teams in the Packers and Niners this year. I think those teams whould be on par with Pitt and Indy teams of the past.
Good streak for the NYG this year for sure, but IMO the AFC has been down right crazy tough in recent years.Look at the jets last year, Beat Brady, beat Manning, didnt get a ring? why? because they still had to beat Pittsburgh on the road and oh even if you did you would have had to play the red hot packers in the Superbowl. Getting to the big game isnt easy, having to beat 2 or even 3 HOF level QBs jsut to get there doenst make it any easier. Sprinkle in 2 elite level defenses (NYJ and Balt). The AFC has been tough. SD's defense has regressed to the point of nothing. Unfortunately for SD fans the window has probably closed.Rivers to me is at the level just below Brees Brady Peyton and Rodgers. Eli has poven his meddle as well and deserves to be mentioned with the great QBs in todays game

Yes he would. So would I. So would many others.

You might say so and provide lip service, but drop you into a GM spot and its never-ever gonna happen.

You might say so and provide lip service, but drop you into a GM spot and its never-ever gonna happen.
I disagree, and I'm an Eli fan. Rivers is a terrific QB, and I could see people grabbing him over Eli.

Ben and Eli have been better under pressure (i.e., in the playoffs) than Rivers has. Ben showed tremendous poise from day one. Eli, after showing questionable leadership earlier in his career, has become nails.

Rivers is more accurate than Ben or Eli, and has a quicker release. I think he's just as tough as Ben (which is saying a lot). He's not nearly as mobile as Ben, but he's probably as mobile as Eli. His arm isn't as strong as Ben's or Eli's, but it's strong enough to get the job done. I think Rivers makes better, quicker reads than Ben or Eli — more of a "coach on the field" type.

A GM wouldn't go wrong by picking any of the three. I do have concerns about Ben's character. Not just the rape thing, but his arrogance in general I could see rubbing his teammates the wrong way. I don't have any particular concerns about Eli's character, but Rivers is super elite upper tier in the character department.

I think Rivers has generally performed the best of the three so far. Look at stuff like YPA, TD-INT ratio, completion percentage, passer rating, etc. He lacks rings, and he hasn't been as good in the playoffs as he has during the regular seasons (although the playoffs have presented extenuating circumstances, like a torn ACL). So I can't say that it'd be wrong to take Ben or Eli over Rivers. But I'd personally take Rivers.

Not only has Rivers generally performed the best of the three so far (IMO), but I trust him the most to keep focused on improving each year. He regressed in 2011, which is evidence against my position; but in general, he strikes me as a person who lives and breathes football — who loves football, and would play for free if he had to. Maybe Ben and Eli are the same way and I just haven't noticed it because I'm not as familiar with them. But with Rivers, I get the sense that he'll always be completely dedicated to his craft the same way that Peyton Manning has been — studying tons of film, thinking about the game, constantly working to improve. I don't trust Ben the same way. I'm coming around on Eli, but if I had to pick right now, I'd go with Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben and Eli have been better under pressure (i.e., in the playoffs) than Rivers has. Ben showed tremendous poise from day one. Eli, after showing questionable leadership earlier in his career, has become nails.

Rivers is more accurate than Ben or Eli, and has a quicker release. I think he's just as tough as Ben (which is saying a lot). He's not nearly as mobile as Ben, but he's probably as mobile as Eli. His arm isn't as strong as Ben's or Eli's, but it's strong enough to get the job done. I think Rivers makes better, quicker reads than Ben or Eli — more of a "coach on the field" type.

A GM wouldn't go wrong by picking any of the three. I do have concerns about Ben's character. Not just the rape thing, but his arrogance in general I could see rubbing his teammates the wrong way. I don't have any particular concerns about Eli's character, but Rivers is super elite upper tier in the character department.

I think Rivers has generally performed the best of the three so far. Look at stuff like YPA, TD-INT ratio, completion percentage, passer rating, etc. He lacks rings, and he hasn't been as good in the playoffs as he has during the regular seasons (although the playoffs have presented extenuating circumstances, like a torn ACL). So I can't say that it'd be wrong to take Ben or Eli over Rivers. But I'd personally take Rivers.

Not only has Rivers generally performed the best of the three so far (IMO), but I trust him the most to keep focused on improving each year. He regressed in 2011, which is evidence against my position; but in general, he strikes me as a person who lives and breathes football — who loves football, and would play for free if he had to. Maybe Ben and Eli are the same way and I just haven't noticed it because I'm not as familiar with them. But with Rivers, I get the sense that he'll always be completely dedicated to his craft the same way that Peyton Manning has been — studying tons of film, thinking about the game, constantly working to improve. I don't trust Ben the same way. I'm coming around on Eli, but if I had to pick right now, I'd go with Rivers.
All valid arguments, but in a league of what have you done for me lately and what have you done for me in the past Rivers comes up short in direct comparison to Eli and Ben. Mainly for not getting it done.You can chaulk it up to bad luck, but it has to be a slight red flag that in his 8th year in the league River by todays standards and by his previous years standards had a very average to down year.

Rivers is a competitor and it would not surprise me to see him bounce back and play more consistently next year. But even if he does, he still has to show the ability to get it done when it matters and he has fallen short thus far. I don't know many GM's that given what we know whould take Rivers ahead of Ben or Eli from a pure football point of view due to that level of thinking.

All 3 are very good QB's that fall in right behind the big 3 of Brady, Rodgers, Brees at this time. It all becomes a matter of preference for the next 4 or 5 guys and Eli seems to be making a case for the big 4 heading into next year.

You can chaulk it up to bad luck, but it has to be a slight red flag that in his 8th year in the league River by todays standards and by his previous years standards had a very average to down year.
Eli threw 25 interceptions last year (leading the league). Rivers' 2011 is definitely a better season than Eli's 2010.

I just hope Rivers gets to see a Super Bowl once in his career. He's the Dan Marino of his draft class. Great stats, no SB bling.

It's a mistake to judge players head-to-head based solely on their teams' achievements. There are 21 other starters, 52 other players, and an entire coaching staff that impact the overall quality of the team. To say Rivers isn't as good as Eli or Ben because his team hasn't been in as many Super Bowls, ignoring what our eyes and their stats tell us, seems a bit off-base. I imagine Eli's own father would tell you the same thing.

It's a mistake to judge players head-to-head based solely on their teams' achievements. There are 21 other starters, 52 other players, and an entire coaching staff that impact the overall quality of the team. To say Rivers isn't as good as Eli or Ben because his team hasn't been in as many Super Bowls, ignoring what our eyes and their stats tell us, seems a bit off-base. I imagine Eli's own father would tell you the same thing.
Nate Kaeding definitely impacted Rivers's playoff success

Good finish for Rivers. He'll be undervalued next year.
:goodposting:During today's game, the announcers said Rivers is now only one of five QBs who have had back to back seasons with 4500+ passing yards. :thumbup:It will be interesting to see what coach takes over and how the offensive philosophy changes, if at all.
:(
:confused:
Somehow, Norv is still around.
Norv being around has been bad for team success but not for Rivers' success. Obviously, I expected Norv to be fired when I posted that, but I think Norv staying is actually good for Rivers. I don't think they were likely to change coaches and end up with a better passing offense for Rivers.

I love how arguments can literally last for years on this site. Chances are that some people in this thread are dead or material facts on which arguments have been based have changed substantially over time. Starting a new thread isn't a crime!

I love how arguments can literally last for years on this site. Chances are that some people in this thread are dead or material facts on which arguments have been based have changed substantially over time. Starting a new thread isn't a crime!
No facts have changed that justified the view the thread title takes.

I am beginning to not like this guy. I just don't know what is wrong.

Brees to Gates sounds like a dream come true... can we rewind here?

His weapons are horrible.

His O line is one of the league's worst.

His running game is average.

Rivers isnt great, but his surrounding cast is painful, too.

Not sure why or how people can defend Rivers play the last season and a 1/3.

Sure he put up some numbers a seasons back. Then again he had the best RB and best TE in the same offense.

Put Eli or Ben in that same situation I'm sure they would of preformed as good.. if not better.

Falcons defense are a lot better under Mike Nolan, in Rivers defense he didn't have much time to throw and receivers weren't open as much.

I am beginning to not like this guy. I just don't know what is wrong.

Brees to Gates sounds like a dream come true... can we rewind here?
I come in on it the other way -- I've always disliked Rivers and his obnoxious attitude, but had to respect him for his talent.Glad I don't have to respect him for that anymore and can just dislike him all the way around.

How does he not get benched? Total disrespect for his coach there just blowing him off

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread