Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capella

2008 Rays thread

1,016 posts in this topic

Anybody else going to the opener tonight? Pretty excited.

Pitching looks good so far. Hitting got shut down the last two days...does concern me. Going Gomes/Floyd then Hinske, Aybar, catcher and Bartlett in the 5-9 spots is pretty ugly. Haven't been impressed with Aybar at all to this point, he's just keeping the spot warm.

Of course, Longoria is off to a tepid start in Durham too.

Knightro/MJ - What do you think of Brignac next year? Any chance Bartlett is a one-year answer? Seems that they like him quite a bit, but Reid's time has to be soon.

Bartlett isn't a one year answer. His defense is too good. Brignac will be up at some point in 08, but Bartlett's defense is one of the best in the AL at shortstop (5x better than Jeter - there, I said it).

I'll be watching from home tonight. With gas at $3.35 in Orlando, the trip to the Trop costs me $30 just to get there.

Its insight like this that I love. I honestly had no clue Bartlett was considered one of the top defensive SS in baseball.

Pitching looks good so far. Hitting got shut down the last two days...does concern me. Going Gomes/Floyd then Hinske, Aybar, catcher and Bartlett in the 5-9 spots is pretty ugly. Haven't been impressed with Aybar at all to this point, he's just keeping the spot warm.

Knightro/MJ - What do you think of Brignac next year? Any chance Bartlett is a one-year answer? Seems that they like him quite a bit, but Reid's time has to be soon.

Didnt I say this in the beginning of the year (that their lineup did not improve one bit) and you told me how much better Gomes/Floyd would be than Young, etc?
The problem with the bottom of the lineup is that they've all been slow out of the gate. We weren't expecting miracles from them, but Floyd and Aybar have a better track record of hitting. Navarro was having a great spring until he hurt his finger in the netting of the Yankee dugout. Getting shut down by Wang and Moose with that extra friendly strikezone last night (anyone who watched that game knows what I am talking about) isn't a terrible thing.

It was apparent last night that these guys just want to get home to warm weather. I have never seen so many guys swinging at pitches out of the strike zone all night long.

Its insight like this that I love. I honestly had no clue Bartlett was considered one of the top defensive SS in baseball.

talks about 2007 defensive ratings

John McDonald is easily the best fielding shortstop in the American League. Too bad he can't hit to save his life because he is an absolute joy to watch in the field.

Shady -- what's Delmon's line so far? Last I saw, he had yet to take a walk.

There's no doubt he may be a future stud, but there's a really good chance Gomes/Hinske outperforms him this year. Make no mistake, I would be complaining about Delmon too if he was in this lineup today.

Shady -- what's Delmon's line so far? Last I saw, he had yet to take a walk.There's no doubt he may be a future stud, but there's a really good chance Gomes/Hinske outperforms him this year. Make no mistake, I would be complaining about Delmon too if he was in this lineup today.

I dunno. Some guy in another thread was saying he got off to a hot start. I havent been following him.

talks about 2007 defensive ratings

John McDonald is easily the best fielding shortstop in the American League. Too bad he can't hit to save his life because he is an absolute joy to watch in the field.

Agree on McDonald. I also love watching Yuniesky.

Didnt I say this in the beginning of the year (that their lineup did not improve one bit) and you told me how much better Gomes/Floyd would be than Young, etc?
The problem with the bottom of the lineup is that they've all been slow out of the gate. We weren't expecting miracles from them, but Floyd and Aybar have a better track record of hitting. Navarro was having a great spring until he hurt his finger in the netting of the Yankee dugout. Getting shut down by Wang and Moose with that extra friendly strikezone last night (anyone who watched that game knows what I am talking about) isn't a terrible thing.

It was apparent last night that these guys just want to get home to warm weather. I have never seen so many guys swinging at pitches out of the strike zone all night long.

Please, the guy needs all the help he can get. Sorry for hijacking.

Shady -- what's Delmon's line so far? Last I saw, he had yet to take a walk.

31 at bats, 0 HR, 2 RBI, 0 BB, 5 K'sAn empty .290 batting average

Yea I'll take my chances with Garza, Bartlett and the RF du jour over Delmon right now. No-brainer really.

J - pretty much agree with you on Bartlett I guess. He'll keep that OBP in the .330 range which is more than fine with his D.

Curious what happens to Reid. Not sure he has enough power to be moved to RF.

He has to be trade bait.

Yea I'll take my chances with Garza, Bartlett and the RF du jour over Delmon right now. No-brainer really.

Not really saying the trade wasnt good just saying I dont think their lineup improved and Ill stick to that comment.

Maybe hasn't improved, but it hasn't regressed either. The only guy you can say is better offensively than the new guy is Harris over Bartlett, and that's pretty close -- and Bartlett's defense is so much better it's comical.

the only shorstop worse than Harris defensively is, well, Jeets.

Cappy - I'll be there tonight! I'm as excited about this game as I was for Opening Night in Year 1. It's supposed to be 48K strong right...with the upper deck open?

I definitely agree on the weather being a factor the last week...with Aki, CC, and Upton especially. They could barely get the ball out of the infield.

I'll be there tonight, also. I have not been to a season opener yet. It should be great! :thumbup:

Anybody else going to the opener tonight? Pretty excited.Pitching looks good so far. Hitting got shut down the last two days...does concern me. Going Gomes/Floyd then Hinske, Aybar, catcher and Bartlett in the 5-9 spots is pretty ugly. Haven't been impressed with Aybar at all to this point, he's just keeping the spot warm.Of course, Longoria is off to a tepid start in Durham too.Knightro/MJ - What do you think of Brignac next year? Any chance Bartlett is a one-year answer? Seems that they like him quite a bit, but Reid's time has to be soon.

Bartlett is average with the stick, a hair above with the glove, is Brignac still an error machine?

the only shorstop worse than Harris defensively is, well, Jeets.

Hanley Ramirez down?

They called up Jae Ryu? :)

Are they even trying to win?

Rays got robbed last night :)

Upton was safe on that triple. If his shoe didn't fall off coming out of the box, he would have made it standing up.

That bullpen is going to be brutal though. Reyes and Percival both top out at about 87 mph. I just can't see them closing out many games effectively.

I think Percival will be fine...Reyes, not so much.

I don't think they got robbed, I think Madden blew it. Seriously, an intentional walk in the 3rd inning to load the bases with two outs and your wild pitcher on the hill? What the #### was that all about? I've never seen anything so stupid.

And why is Dohmann pitching in critical situations?

I can only imagine JP Howell will go into Garza's spot and Ryu goes to long relief. No way they're dumb enough to let that guy start.

Is Niemann out of options? Is that the only reason they won't promote him?

Nice night at the Trop anyway. I've never heard the crowd as loud as it was following the Upton call and Maddon tossing.

The buyer for the Trop came from the Metrodome...she says the Trop is nicer...so we have that going for us at least, which is nice.

I can only imagine JP Howell will go into Garza's spot and Ryu goes to long relief. No way they're dumb enough to let that guy start.

I think he may be.

Kaz-ella will also be ready in the near future

Why would that matter? Isnt an option good for the whole year which means they can send him down as much as they want this year? Unless your saying his option would carry over until next year if they dont call him up at all this year.

Thought I read they are likely to call Niemann up on Sunday?

Why would that matter? Isnt an option good for the whole year which means they can send him down as much as they want this year? Unless your saying his option would carry over until next year if they dont call him up at all this year.
He's definetly not out of options and he's on the 40-man roster, so this may only be a short term move until they need a starter (ie until they need Neimann to start since he looks like he's good to go)

Like a lot of teams, they also have a fairly brutal April in terms of consecutive days played, so they may just be juggling arms so no one gets overworked.

Thought I read they are likely to call Niemann up on Sunday?

I haven't had a chance to read the papers today - link?

Thanks man.

At least they're finally going to get off the pot with Niemmann.

Confirmed that Niemann is starting on Sunday

Confirmed that Niemann is starting on Sunday

Rays fans, tell me a little something about Niemann.I know he was highly thought of when drafted, and it's cooled a little due to some injury problems.Any other info is appreciated.

Lost a lot of weight this offseason and looked to be in great shape in March. Throws 92-94 with a solid curve but not much of a change. He's a large guy - 6'9", so he's slow to the plate and doesn't do much to curb the running game.

Kaz on the DL, Garza hurt, now Floyd gimpy. With a LOT of home and division games in the next month, this is terrible timing for a young team looking for confidence.

Gump - I don't think there's any difference between the productioon Garza and Niemann would give the team. Kaz hurts obviously, but Garza to Jeff is really no drop at all, imo.

Agreed Cappy

Niemann should have made the team out of camp anyhow

The RF situation will suck but Ruggiano is an upgrade defensively over Hinske/Gomes out there

Gump - I don't think there's any difference between the productioon Garza and Niemann would give the team. Kaz hurts obviously, but Garza to Jeff is really no drop at all, imo.

Glad to hear you guys feel that way.Now can you make me feel better about the disappearance of the top of the lineup so far?

Man, this team can't score.

New year, same ####. Geez.

Why you guys started the year with Hammell and Edwin penciled in for #4 and #5 over Niemann and Howell is still a mystery to me.

Why you guys started the year with Hammell and Edwin penciled in for #4 and #5 over Niemann and Howell is still a mystery to me.
They were both out of options while Niemann still had an option left

Boy all that optimism sure washed away quick, no?