What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Rays thread (2 Viewers)

Maybe hasn't improved, but it hasn't regressed either. The only guy you can say is better offensively than the new guy is Harris over Bartlett, and that's pretty close -- and Bartlett's defense is so much better it's comical.

Cappy - I'll be there tonight! I'm as excited about this game as I was for Opening Night in Year 1. It's supposed to be 48K strong right...with the upper deck open?

I definitely agree on the weather being a factor the last week...with Aki, CC, and Upton especially. They could barely get the ball out of the infield.

Anybody else going to the opener tonight? Pretty excited.Pitching looks good so far. Hitting got shut down the last two days...does concern me. Going Gomes/Floyd then Hinske, Aybar, catcher and Bartlett in the 5-9 spots is pretty ugly. Haven't been impressed with Aybar at all to this point, he's just keeping the spot warm.Of course, Longoria is off to a tepid start in Durham too.Knightro/MJ - What do you think of Brignac next year? Any chance Bartlett is a one-year answer? Seems that they like him quite a bit, but Reid's time has to be soon.
Bartlett is average with the stick, a hair above with the glove, is Brignac still an error machine?

Rays got robbed last night :)

Upton was safe on that triple. If his shoe didn't fall off coming out of the box, he would have made it standing up.

That bullpen is going to be brutal though. Reyes and Percival both top out at about 87 mph. I just can't see them closing out many games effectively.

I think Percival will be fine...Reyes, not so much.

I don't think they got robbed, I think Madden blew it. Seriously, an intentional walk in the 3rd inning to load the bases with two outs and your wild pitcher on the hill? What the #### was that all about? I've never seen anything so stupid.

And why is Dohmann pitching in critical situations?

I can only imagine JP Howell will go into Garza's spot and Ryu goes to long relief. No way they're dumb enough to let that guy start.

Is Niemann out of options? Is that the only reason they won't promote him?

Nice night at the Trop anyway. I've never heard the crowd as loud as it was following the Upton call and Maddon tossing.

The buyer for the Trop came from the Metrodome...she says the Trop is nicer...so we have that going for us at least, which is nice.

I can only imagine JP Howell will go into Garza's spot and Ryu goes to long relief. No way they're dumb enough to let that guy start.

I think he may be.Kaz-ella will also be ready in the near future

Last edited by a moderator:

Why would that matter? Isnt an option good for the whole year which means they can send him down as much as they want this year? Unless your saying his option would carry over until next year if they dont call him up at all this year.

Why would that matter? Isnt an option good for the whole year which means they can send him down as much as they want this year? Unless your saying his option would carry over until next year if they dont call him up at all this year.
He's definetly not out of options and he's on the 40-man roster, so this may only be a short term move until they need a starter (ie until they need Neimann to start since he looks like he's good to go)Like a lot of teams, they also have a fairly brutal April in terms of consecutive days played, so they may just be juggling arms so no one gets overworked.

Lost a lot of weight this offseason and looked to be in great shape in March. Throws 92-94 with a solid curve but not much of a change. He's a large guy - 6'9", so he's slow to the plate and doesn't do much to curb the running game.

Kaz on the DL, Garza hurt, now Floyd gimpy. With a LOT of home and division games in the next month, this is terrible timing for a young team looking for confidence.

Gump - I don't think there's any difference between the productioon Garza and Niemann would give the team. Kaz hurts obviously, but Garza to Jeff is really no drop at all, imo.

Agreed Cappy

Niemann should have made the team out of camp anyhow

The RF situation will suck but Ruggiano is an upgrade defensively over Hinske/Gomes out there

Gump - I don't think there's any difference between the productioon Garza and Niemann would give the team. Kaz hurts obviously, but Garza to Jeff is really no drop at all, imo.
Glad to hear you guys feel that way.Now can you make me feel better about the disappearance of the top of the lineup so far?

Boy all that optimism sure washed away quick, no?
this is still the same team that pounded the yanks for 2 in yankee stadium.they had some tough breaks over the last 4.-wang was on fire.-not touching mussina is less forgiveable-garza's outing was just a tough blow, as he walked a bunch of guys before leaving and making the rays go to pen in the 3rd. there's little reason to believe we'd win a game like that (and we still only lost by a run).-one thing that'll go unnoticed about last night is randy marsh. you can't understate the effect an ump like marsh can have on a pitcher like sonnanstine. marsh nullified sonnanstine's strength (his control) and made him offer up gopher balls. i expect sonannstine to be much better.after a bunch of tough breaks, the rays are 3-5 (one game behind the yanks). the defense seems to be playing well (upton looks like he'll be a great CF), the offense has shown plenty of signs and will come around. sonnanstine and jackson could very well make great end of the rotation guys when kaz gets back.a good outing from jackson would certainly get things going back in the right direction.

15 of next 17 games at home. The offense needs to get it's collective head out of it's rear now.

I'm not in panic mode over the top-4 of the order; they'll be fine. It's that I see almost no upside in that 5-9 slot, especially with Floyd dead.

Boy, Edwin looks awesome. Maybe waiting around for him was a good idea. I'm still a bit unsure on him, but couple his second-half with these first two starts and you may have something.

GB the Rays

Al Reyes got Tasered last night:

Rays reliever Al Reyes was arrested early Friday morning after "falling down, picking a fight and spitting blood at the patrons of a popular Hyde Park night spot," according to a report in the St. Petersburg Times.
Link

GB the Rays

Al Reyes got Tasered last night:

Rays reliever Al Reyes was arrested early Friday morning after "falling down, picking a fight and spitting blood at the patrons of a popular Hyde Park night spot," according to a report in the St. Petersburg Times.
So he got drunk on his birthday and made an ### of himself. Not going to affect his trade value as much as his ERA.Anyone know where this was? Hyde Park Cafe I assume?

Longoria up. Naturally, he made the cut for the extra year of free-agency by two days. :lmao:

I guess you can't really complain about that move, all things considered.

Here's to him never going back down. Nice win today, as well.

Gump - it was at hyde park cafe, yes.

Longoria up. Naturally, he made the cut for the extra year of free-agency by two days. :shrug:I guess you can't really complain about that move, all things considered.Here's to him never going back down. Nice win today, as well.Gump - it was at hyde park cafe, yes.
i thought the cut was around a month, so now his callup is even more exciting. i'm glad they called him up now with the bats already coming alive. i think going 2 weeks without him has been a good thing. the rays are showing that they don't really "need" his bat to score runs, though a productive longoria would certainly help. it's a shame i'm blacked out from all orioles games. i'd love to catch his debut.

Niemann looks like he got off to a slow start in the first... some nerves maybe.

Getting a lot of fly ball outs (seem to be deep). How does he actually LOOK?

Looked great after the first inning. He was squeezed by Bucknor on 2 curveballs as Bucknor adjusted to his big break, but from 2-6, he was solid except for the solo shot he gave up to Markakis after he sat for 30 minutes when the Rays batted around in the 5th.

Knightro said:
I want to untie my wife's tubes, and have another child, just so I can name it Carlos Pena
:thumbup: :thumbup:Boy, the SP has been awesome so far this year...except for Garza.Can't even say they've really missed Kaz all that much. Hammel has been terrific.J, you know the ERA for the starters?

The SP has been so good that it's actually a shame they're only 6-6. And I never thought I'd say that.

crazy thing today - we were held hitless for 8 of the 9 innings

everything was done in the 6th

Good thing Pena is hitting these HRs because he isn't hitting much else right now. Upton finally got on the board with his bomb today. Now it is Barlett's turn to starting hitting. He is hitting like a #9 hitter...in the NL

Users who are viewing this thread