What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Chris Johnson Hype machine (3 Viewers)

He's the #5 back in my league scoring right now (non-ppr), 20 pts behind Portis. 4 less vultured td's and he's the #1 back, unreal. I'm certainly not complaining though.
Portis hasnt had his bye either, right?
correct but it was before his 12 or so points last night. Like I said, I'm not going to complain about top 5 mid year with a ton of TD's being vultured. He has the talent and the opportunity. I couldn't be happier to have him in my dynasty league.

He is staying in there. The Bears defense is no where near what they used to be. If ADP can bang them CJ3 will have his number.

IF ANYTHING- it might be time to start talking about what will happen during the FF playoff run if the Titans are resting players at the end of the year.

Not sure how anyone can consider benching this kid at this point. The Bears are not the Bears of old. Johnson is always one play away from posting huge numbers. On the low side you are looking at 100 total yards and a strong possibility of a TD.

Not sure how anyone can consider benching this kid at this point. The Bears are not the Bears of old. Johnson is always one play away from posting huge numbers. On the low side you are looking at 100 total yards and a strong possibility of a TD.
The Bears may not be the Bears of old, but they are ranked 6th against the run. I've got LT vs. KC (32nd vs. the run), Hightower vs SF (19th) and LBJ vs CHI (6th). This is why I love fantasy football. Chris Johnson has carried me all year through LT's slow start/turf toe and Edge's ineffectiveness/old age and Hightower was a waiver wire pickup for me 2 weeks ago, but I'm thinking of sending him to the bench in favor of the flavor of the week. I feel Hightower will give me the same # of total yards and a greater possibility of a TD. Not sure how this can't be a consideration.

Agree. I can't bench him this week for Big Jon Stud, Fargas, Rice, Faulk or a few other good flex options either. The Bears are ranked well vs. the run, but a glance @ their schedule tells me this may be a little inflated. Lots of poor running teams in their recent past. That and the increase in looks OOTB last week have me optimistic.

The Bears may not be the Bears of old, but they are ranked 6th against the run. I've got LT vs. KC (32nd vs. the run), Hightower vs SF (19th) and LBJ vs CHI (6th). This is why I love fantasy football. Chris Johnson has carried me all year through LT's slow start/turf toe and Edge's ineffectiveness/old age and Hightower was a waiver wire pickup for me 2 weeks ago, but I'm thinking of sending him to the bench in favor of the flavor of the week. I feel Hightower will give me the same # of total yards and a greater possibility of a TD. Not sure how this can't be a consideration.
I have trouble getting overly excited about Hightower as a top 5-10 option as people are talking about after one week - this was against the Rams, and even Arrington had 6 for 62. Meanwhile, CJ has consistently impressed me.Just saying.

I have trouble getting overly excited about Hightower as a top 5-10 option as people are talking about after one week - this was against the Rams, and even Arrington had 6 for 62. Meanwhile, CJ has consistently impressed me.Just saying.
Agreed. Plus, with the passing game ARI has you never know who's gonna get the touches and/or TD's. With TEN you know CJ will get a LOT of touches.

Followed the ever-brilliant cheatsheet rankings again this week. I've got 8 yards between C Johnson and Ronnie Brown at this point...

What happened today? Bears really shut the running game down?
Yup. And the Titans did nothing to get the ball to Johnson. Why they don't try to get the ball to him as a receiver 5-6 times every game is beyond me.
that's what confuses me. Don't they USUALLY try to get him the ball on the screen more often?I didn't see this game, but the box score strikes me as similar to the way teams play the falcons. 8 in the box and force the rookie QB to beat you. And despite the rookie QB beating you to a bloody pulp, you continue to put 8 in the box. Is that what happened to Chicago? So determined to stop the run, they ignored the fact that the Titans were beating them with the pass?

Yup. And the Titans did nothing to get the ball to Johnson. Why they don't try to get the ball to him as a receiver 5-6 times every game is beyond me.
that's what confuses me. Don't they USUALLY try to get him the ball on the screen more often?I didn't see this game, but the box score strikes me as similar to the way teams play the falcons. 8 in the box and force the rookie QB to beat you. And despite the rookie QB beating you to a bloody pulp, you continue to put 8 in the box. Is that what happened to Chicago? So determined to stop the run, they ignored the fact that the Titans were beating them with the pass?
Yup, I watched the game and that's pretty much how it happened. There was absolutely no running room but receivers were being left wide open.

Yup, I watched the game and that's pretty much how it happened. There was absolutely no running room but receivers were being left wide open.
If I was scheming D against the titans, I'd do the exact same thing. You have a better chance selling out on the run and taking your chances with them beating you through the air. Today they did, but if you put them in that sutiation week in and week out, they will lose games. And that is your best hope. Kudos to the bears, but I don't see CJ being shut out to that extent again, unless the titans were exposed of something today and a formula created for defending them. DIdn't watch the game so can't really comment on if that happened...

Only certain defenses have the personel to sell out like that though and attempt to get away with it... Chi did a good job at it today, but most def's won't commit 100% like that. Otherwise you would be seeing it from every def every time they face an elite back...

If I was scheming D against the titans, I'd do the exact same thing. You have a better chance selling out on the run and taking your chances with them beating you through the air. Today they did, but if you put them in that sutiation week in and week out, they will lose games. And that is your best hope. Kudos to the bears, but I don't see CJ being shut out to that extent again, unless the titans were exposed of something today and a formula created for defending them. DIdn't watch the game so can't really comment on if that happened...
The bigger worry is them locking up a bye, or even homefield throughout. I doubt he rests week 15, but 16 could be. He's a rookie. He'll hit the rookie wall. They'll probably rest him down the stretch. If they get a lead, week 14-15-16-17 range. That would be my worry.Beyond that, the kid is a beast. Bears are a good D, and played well.

Hate to say it, cj3's no longer a ROM (regardless of match-up) for me. Against the two good rush d's, Chi and Balt, he flat out stunk. If the whale was out, then yes, but with the good d and almost no chance at the goalline carries he's not a good play.

Tough start and I like my crow with some salt and pepper. The Bears did a number on CJ3. He will cost me a game but I did pull him last minute in another league for Thomas Jones.

I agree. But I was still very surprised the Titans made no effort at all to get the ball to Johnson in the passing game. Yes I'm biased as a Johnson owner :rolleyes: but even if I wasn't, I'd still have to believe their chances to win are greater when he's more involved than when he isn't. Last week against the Packers, for example, they did a real good job of working him into the passing game. This week, though, they didn't even try. It's hard to argue with a victory and an unbeaten team but it really did seem as if they just gave up on Johnson yesterday.

Johnson was stuffed every time he touched the ball. On one play he was being tackled by TWO GUYS while Collins was handing the ball off to him.

He had zero chance yesterday.

As for being used in the passing game, I think that's what the Bears were expecting. The Titans have been throwing short passes all year and they came out and threw it down the field, which is something that haven't done all year.

The Bears made minimal adjustments and it cost them.

As for CJ being used as a receiver, he has to catch the ball more cleanly. If you watch him, he seems to bobble the ball on receptions. If he can start catching it cleanly he'll get used more. But right now, he's struggling to catch it in stride.

If he spends the off-season refining his receiving skills, it's going to be scary the numbers he'll put up.

packersfan said:
Skeetcher said:
PatrickT said:
I agree. But I was still very surprised the Titans made no effort at all to get the ball to Johnson in the passing game. Yes I'm biased as a Johnson owner :goodposting: but even if I wasn't, I'd still have to believe their chances to win are greater when he's more involved than when he isn't. Last week against the Packers, for example, they did a real good job of working him into the passing game. This week, though, they didn't even try. It's hard to argue with a victory and an unbeaten team but it really did seem as if they just gave up on Johnson yesterday.
They were doing well enough going vertical w/ the TEs & WRs. Bears sold out vs. whoever the RB was - run or pass - and were very effective taking the RBs out of the equation. Collins proved good enough to beat a solid Chi D who was hardly playing the pass at all. Good counter move by Fisher, and I think Lovie did well by not making the change to sacrifice run D for pass D. Tennessee kept feeling out the run, and would have effectively gone to it and been more efficient if Chicago had let them. Chicago played a better team and kept it competitive, and sometimes... head coaches don't care about FFB.

Any constructive thoughts on what it is going to take from the Tennessee offense to make CJ meaningful again? I just read on the musiccitymiracles.com blog that they were throwing CJ into the line yesterday hoping to generate some offense from him. The Titans are proving that they can win through the air without getting CJ involved in the passing game. I have not had a chance to watch any of the Titans games sans the Monday night Indy game where it seemed CJ was being shadowed by two defenders. Coaching staffs find ways to help make their great players productive. Over the years players like LT, ADP, Emmitt, Payton, etc. have been the focus of defenses yet they have been productive. I know it is more difficult to be a productive two dimensional back, receiver and runner, than one who has the build to bang it inside and outside the tackles wearing a defense down and breaking their will, so I expect it will take CJ a little longer to develop.

For those who watch and follow the Titans, does the coaching staff seem to be doing the right thing here in developing the potential of this young talent?

The titans were trying to get him involved in the passing game yesterday, Collins and the timing was just a little off as the announcers kepts mentioning. A couple of passes were off target, or the play broke down. Team's are obviously keying in on the run, but if the Titans keep winning regardless and Collins keeps them honest, that should loosen up again.. I think Tenn is handling CJ properly. It's clear they view CJ as the present and future focal pt of the offense.

Also, I could have used the pts last night, but they bring in White to take some of the abuse off of CJ.

I think we are starting to see teams forcing the titans to beat them through the air. This win might go a long way in making teams balance out the D a bit more though. CJ might be hitting the rook wall too, though I don't have any first hand proof of that as I didn't watch the game...

Any constructive thoughts on what it is going to take from the Tennessee offense to make CJ meaningful again? I just read on the musiccitymiracles.com blog that they were throwing CJ into the line yesterday hoping to generate some offense from him. The Titans are proving that they can win through the air without getting CJ involved in the passing game. I have not had a chance to watch any of the Titans games sans the Monday night Indy game where it seemed CJ was being shadowed by two defenders. Coaching staffs find ways to help make their great players productive. Over the years players like LT, ADP, Emmitt, Payton, etc. have been the focus of defenses yet they have been productive. I know it is more difficult to be a productive two dimensional back, receiver and runner, than one who has the build to bang it inside and outside the tackles wearing a defense down and breaking their will, so I expect it will take CJ a little longer to develop.

For those who watch and follow the Titans, does the coaching staff seem to be doing the right thing here in developing the potential of this young talent?
Did you ever consider the fact that he just isn't as good as any of those players? Despite the lovefest in here, i assure you it is a reasonable answer to your question. Yes, he is fast and dynamic and can do a lot of things, but the truth of the matter is that he is an undersized running back that is having a tough time against better defenses.

Did you ever consider the fact that he just isn't as good as any of those players? Despite the lovefest in here, i assure you it is a reasonable answer to your question. Yes, he is fast and dynamic and can do a lot of things, but the truth of the matter is that he is an undersized running back that is having a tough time against better defenses.
This is the crux of my question. Is the coaching staff doing enough to take advantage of his obvious talents and putting him in a position to be successful. I am not saying that he is/will be as good as all those backs but you shouldn't ask a player to do what he physically isn't able to. Look at what happened to Vick in Atlanta. Dog fighting aside, the coaching staff was never able to decide how to use him. To a degree I think Childress is struggling to figure out how best to use ADP. Peterson is not a great threat to catch the ball but maybe he could be used more in this way to get him free in space. Conversely with CJ they seem to try to run him inside too much and don't use him enough in the passing game. CJ may never be LT or Westy, but clearly the powers that be in Tennessee fell he has potential to be an upper crust running back. How to helpp him get to that level is the question.

This is the crux of my question. Is the coaching staff doing enough to take advantage of his obvious talents and putting him in a position to be successful. I am not saying that he is/will be as good as all those backs but you shouldn't ask a player to do what he physically isn't able to. Look at what happened to Vick in Atlanta. Dog fighting aside, the coaching staff was never able to decide how to use him. To a degree I think Childress is struggling to figure out how best to use ADP. Peterson is not a great threat to catch the ball but maybe he could be used more in this way to get him free in space. Conversely with CJ they seem to try to run him inside too much and don't use him enough in the passing game. CJ may never be LT or Westy, but clearly the powers that be in Tennessee fell he has potential to be an upper crust running back. How to helpp him get to that level is the question.
He just is't a fluid receiver yet. I think he has the athletic ability to develop this skill set. This is the biggest way to increase his value, but it really isn's Jeff Fisher's style of offense. He like to pound and he is using Johnsonand lendale that way interchangeably. This is also an efficient way of getting him hurt. He is also likely wearing down a little bit from over-use as a rookie. He is a lttle guy and NEVER shys away from contact. I don't think Johnson will ever be the type of back that can run into the pile 20 times a game. He phsically won't be able to hande the hits from 330 pounders. I think a workload of 12-15 carries and 4-6 receiving looks is pervect for him and his value will still be very high with that type of opprtunity.

The Titans are proving that they can win through the air without getting CJ involved in the passing game. I have not had a chance to watch any of the Titans games sans the Monday night Indy game where it seemed CJ was being shadowed by two defenders.
He had a screen pass in the 4th quarter where if David Stewart makes a solid block, he's got 20 - 30 yards before the nearest defender even gets in to the picture. As a longtime Titan fan and follower, I believe that as the season goes on, Dinger will move CJ out of the backfield in the passing game. Right now, they simply haven't had to go to that card just yet. Frankly, they may not do anything different til the postseason, but rest assured that Fisher/Dinger know that Johnson is the game-breaker in there and will treat him as such when it becomes more vital. Not much help to fantasy folks though.

The Titans are proving that they can win through the air without getting CJ involved in the passing game. I have not had a chance to watch any of the Titans games sans the Monday night Indy game where it seemed CJ was being shadowed by two defenders.
He had a screen pass in the 4th quarter where if David Stewart makes a solid block, he's got 20 - 30 yards before the nearest defender even gets in to the picture. As a longtime Titan fan and follower, I believe that as the season goes on, Dinger will move CJ out of the backfield in the passing game. Right now, they simply haven't had to go to that card just yet. Frankly, they may not do anything different til the postseason, but rest assured that Fisher/Dinger know that Johnson is the game-breaker in there and will treat him as such when it becomes more vital. Not much help to fantasy folks though.
I hope so - those screens are getting to be pretty obvious calls.

I think they are using him perfectly. I mean, look at what has happened. They were so effective running the ball the first half of the season, their opponents are now having to put 90% of their effort into stopping the running game. This is why players like Justin Gage and Brandon Jones are getting wide open regularly.

The past three weeks the Titans have won by passing the ball. Opponents still may feel that they have a better chance at winning by shutting down Tennessee's running game, but I think they are more likely to come at them with a balanced defense from now on. Collins has proven he will beat you if you stack the box, or use your safety to shadow the running back.

The Titans just need to be careful not to get over confident with Collins. I still don't think the Tenn WR's are good enough to beat (consistently) a decent secondary that isn't loaded up to stop the running game.

I expect it to be a game of cat and mouse on a weekly basis through the end of the season with Tennessee. I also do not expect any more games like the Bears game. The Bears took a gamble and proved a point - now other teams won't have to take that gamble since they know the Titans can exploit it.

I think they are using him perfectly. I mean, look at what has happened. They were so effective running the ball the first half of the season, their opponents are now having to put 90% of their effort into stopping the running game. This is why players like Justin Gage and Brandon Jones are getting wide open regularly.

The past three weeks the Titans have won by passing the ball. Opponents still may feel that they have a better chance at winning by shutting down Tennessee's running game, but I think they are more likely to come at them with a balanced defense from now on. Collins has proven he will beat you if you stack the box, or use your safety to shadow the running back.

The Titans just need to be careful not to get over confident with Collins. I still don't think the Tenn WR's are good enough to beat (consistently) a decent secondary that isn't loaded up to stop the running game.

I expect it to be a game of cat and mouse on a weekly basis through the end of the season with Tennessee. I also do not expect any more games like the Bears game. The Bears took a gamble and proved a point - now other teams won't have to take that gamble since they know the Titans can exploit it.
I'm not so sure about that. The Bears are a .500 team and were playing their horrible backup QB and still played the Titans close for a while with that strategy. And Collins only had about a 7 ypa that game, which is only .5 more than his season average, and is a pretty average number.

^ b/c this thread should NEVER make it to p. 3, much less p. 6

and also to see what my fellow LBJ owners think about his matchup this week @ home vs. the NYJ

lenwhale has a calf injury, but practiced today, so it should be business as usual.

I'm done for the year, Stephen Jackson killed me with the injuries, moving forward Chris Johnson is now the cornerstone to my team. Going into next season keeping him and 3 WRs.

the hype has cooled down a bit....hopefully he strings a few good ones together soon.
this is a period of adjustment for CJ. Teams have been stacking the box with 8-9 players making almost no room to run. As others have mentioned I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get him downfield a little more lining him up wide and putting White in the backfield. He's still the focus of the offense and getting 20+ touch's/week and the Titans are still winning.

TankRizzo said:
I'm done for the year, Stephen Jackson killed me with the injuries, moving forward Chris Johnson is now the cornerstone to my team. Going into next season keeping him and 3 WRs.
I was wondering what you wre gonna do..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread