What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Super Bowl XLIII Game Thread - Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Arizona Cardina (1 Viewer)

Day Drinker said:
That being said, thoroughly satisfying Superbowl. Do I think the refs were a little one-sided? Yeah. Some real ticky tack calls, including that horrible roughing the passer call? Did it cost the Cardinals the game? Nope. I loved the fact that so many people stepped up. Warner and Fitz did themselves proud. Boldin contributed. Edge and Hightower showed some nifty moves. And for the most part the D played pretty well. That being said, Ben and Santonio, among others, stepped up big time with the game on the line. Nobody can question Ben as a leader in big games. Sure, Santonio made a great catch on that final TD, but Ben threw a PERFECT pass. Feel bad that one team had to lose. Whisenhunt - I was as impressed with his post game interview as I am with him as a coach. Solid. Good for Tomlin. Good for the Rooney's. Bottom line - the play at the end of the first half was monstrous, and Pitt won in most part because of it. But what a great Superbowl.
I agree with Smails..Hmmmm....Hmmmmm.....Hmmmmmm.As a diehard Cardinal fan, I was just upset to see a poorly officiated game. I don't necessarily think it effected the outcome, but there were a number of very questionable calls. The only three I really think were bad were the "roughing the passer", not reviewing the final play of the game, and the non call on Santonio's celebration. I get that he is excited, but you can't use the ball as a prop in your celebration, which he clearly did.All in all it was a spectacular game, and although I am still crying in my Wheaties this morning, I am proud of the Cards. Welll, except for Fancisco, he is a pathetic excuse for a safety and should have been cut 4 months ago. :cry:
:shrug: ........As a Steeler fan, I can agree with this. The roughing the passer was awful but they've been calling garbage like that all year. In the biggest game of the year, you shouldn't throw the flag there. I agree that the final play should have been reviewed even though I think the probability of it being overturned was very slim. If it were overturned (with conclusive evidence), in my mind that would have easily been the worst call of the game. I also agree that Santonio should have been penalized. I can even go one step further and say that Harrison should have been ejected. However, I don't think any set of refs would have the balls to eject a superstar on either team in any situation in the SuperBowl. People question some of the other calls but I just don't see it. They weren't glaring enough to be controversial in my mind. The roughing the holder has to be called. He can tap the guy with his pinky and it still has to be called. Although perhaps it should have been "running into the holder" rather than "roughing the holder". The block in the back was questionable but it's unclear whether he was blocked in the shoulder or back. It's a judgment call. I'm really not sure what other controversial calls there were in that game.

I went to the game and just got back. I've seen replays but I am about to sit down and watch the whole broadcast. Everyone in Tampa & Orlando that commented on the game were saying what a great game it was.

I hadn't really heard a whole lot of criticism about the officials until I got here. Not a surprise though as whining about officiating is epidemic.

In any case it was a fun game to watch and I had a great time.

The roughing the passer was awful but they've been calling garbage like that all year. In the biggest game of the year, you shouldn't throw the flag there.
In general, I agree with this sentiment. However, similar roughing the passer calls have been a point of emphasis of the officiating all season long. Ask Ravens fans about the one involving Kerry Collins, for example. What has also been consistent is complaining about the way the league is enforcing this penalty, so I don't blame anyone for disliking this call.If anyone is truly interested in digging a little deeper, compare the Dansby hit that drew a flag with Boldin's long reception that set up Arizona's first TD. Aaron Smith approaches Warner in a very similar fashion to Dansby. When Warner throws, Smith immediately pulls up and while his hands still touch Warner, it's basically just to brace himself so that he doesn't fall into him. Some people have argued that Dansby pulled up as well. Maybe. But he definitely did not pull up as quickly and as fully as Smith did. More importantly, Dansby still followed through with the hit and kept his arms extended. I cannot say for sure that the time between the release of the ball and the contact was the same, but again, to me what is clearly different is the manner in which Smith pulled up to avoid the contact. Smart player. The best way to be sure the ref doesn't make a questionable call against you is to not even give him the chance.

The roughing the passer was awful but they've been calling garbage like that all year. In the biggest game of the year, you shouldn't throw the flag there.
In general, I agree with this sentiment. However, similar roughing the passer calls have been a point of emphasis of the officiating all season long. Ask Ravens fans about the one involving Kerry Collins, for example. What has also been consistent is complaining about the way the league is enforcing this penalty, so I don't blame anyone for disliking this call.If anyone is truly interested in digging a little deeper, compare the Dansby hit that drew a flag with Boldin's long reception that set up Arizona's first TD. Aaron Smith approaches Warner in a very similar fashion to Dansby. When Warner throws, Smith immediately pulls up and while his hands still touch Warner, it's basically just to brace himself so that he doesn't fall into him. Some people have argued that Dansby pulled up as well. Maybe. But he definitely did not pull up as quickly and as fully as Smith did. More importantly, Dansby still followed through with the hit and kept his arms extended. I cannot say for sure that the time between the release of the ball and the contact was the same, but again, to me what is clearly different is the manner in which Smith pulled up to avoid the contact. Smart player. The best way to be sure the ref doesn't make a questionable call against you is to not even give him the chance.
Big Ben makes it extra hard to pull up, because he always pulls the ball down and extends the play. I am of the opinion that the play was "technically" a penalty, but a ticky-tack one at best.

Big Ben makes it extra hard to pull up, because he always pulls the ball down and extends the play. I am of the opinion that the play was "technically" a penalty, but a ticky-tack one at best.
It's a penalty that has been called all year by the refs. I don't agree that it should be a penalty, but Woodley has been flagged a couple times for sacking the qb to rough. The league needs to scale back on these so called roughing the qb penalties.

The majority of these pics just make me :loco: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.

Last edited by a moderator:
The majority of these pics just make me :goodposting: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
You mean the one where he is not touching the facemask at all, but pushing the side of the helmet?

The majority of these pics just make me :shrug: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
You mean the one where he is not touching the facemask at all, but pushing the side of the helmet?
:rolleyes: .........I actually thought it was a facemask on Holmes until I saw this picture. This doesn't confirm that it wasn't but it certainly doesn't confirm that it was.

Sheriff66 said:
Day Drinker said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:
The majority of these pics just make me :cry: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
:goodposting:

Sheriff66 said:
Day Drinker said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:
The majority of these pics just make me :coffee: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
:confused:
I think that Cardinal fans are starting to approach the Seahawk fan level of whining.

fred_1_15301 said:
Sheriff66 said:
Day Drinker said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:
The majority of these pics just make me :hophead: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
:goodposting: .........I actually thought it was a facemask on Holmes until I saw this picture. This doesn't confirm that it wasn't but it certainly doesn't confirm that it was.
Did they change the rule where it's now a penalty for the ball carrier to grab a facemask? I thought that was never a penalty.

Sheriff66 said:
Day Drinker said:
AhrnCityPahnder said:
The majority of these pics just make me :cry: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
:excited:
I think that Cardinal fans are starting to approach the Seahawk fan level of whining.
Let's not go overboard here, GBGB

Just watched Inside the NFL ... how Holmes did not catch that first pass is beyond me... It hit both his hands...

And Warner walked off the field not saying he was throeing it but shaking his arm because it hurt. He was trying to loosen it up.

Just watched Inside the NFL ... how Holmes did not catch that first pass is beyond me... It hit both his hands...
I don't think it did, and if so, it just barely touched them. Either way, that ball was overthrown, and had he caught it, it would have been an even better catch than the one he made on 2nd down for the score.

Just watched Inside the NFL ... how Holmes did not catch that first pass is beyond me... It hit both his hands...And Warner walked off the field not saying he was throeing it but shaking his arm because it hurt. He was trying to loosen it up.
Heard an interview where Holmes said he took his eyes off of it to look down at his feet and make sure he got them in bounds. When he got another chance (the game-winner) he decided he could reach it without jumping and decided to keep his feet on the ground and avoid the problem.

I don't think it did, and if so, it just barely touched them. Either way, that ball was overthrown, and had he caught it, it would have been an even better catch than the one he made on 2nd down for the score.
It went right through his hands, I thought the same thing when I saw it live, but I was suprised to see it right in his hands.

I didn't either until they showed the NFL Films footage. And Holmes himself said he should have caught it easily. They had one angle from behind the steelers so you see Holmes facing the ball for the catch and goes straight through his hands and glances of off one.They also showed how Fitzgerald ran into Hood around the 40 yard line in the OB stripe

I didn't either until they showed the NFL Films footage. And Holmes himself said he should have caught it easily. They had one angle from behind the steelers so you see Holmes facing the ball for the catch and goes straight through his hands and glances of off one.They also showed how Fitzgerald ran into Hood around the 40 yard line in the OB stripe
Rolle

Rolle
ah my bad

Holmes definitely should've caught the first pass. And him making the second only made up for missing the first.

How he got MVP is beyond me. Who made both of those incredible, pin-point throws? Ben was MVP that day...second would be the Harrison INT...without that 10 to 14 point swing before halftime...the Steelers lose even with Holmes catching one of the two passes at the end.

What's really bothersome to me is calling his celebration the Lebron powder celebration...when Lebron stole it from KG and KG stole it from Jordan. Sure...they each tweaked it a bit but still...give credit where it's properly due...

I agree with tdoss in that Ben played great. He really played exceptional. I dare say that the combined quarterback play of Ben and Kurt was one of the best Superbowl displays of all time.

The majority of these pics just make me :lmao: . The one of Santonio clearly facemasking DRC upsets me. I saw it when it happened on T.V. yet the ref standing 10 feet away only saw the DRC facemask that followed. I'm not one to ##### about officials and bad calls, but that pic just vidicated my thoughts of that play.
:lmao: .........I actually thought it was a facemask on Holmes until I saw this picture. This doesn't confirm that it wasn't but it certainly doesn't confirm that it was.
When stiff-arming, a ball carrier is allowed to have his hands on the face mask of a player trying to tackle him. He's just not allowed to grip the face mask.

That was me...it would have worked too.That's also me..."he's in right? Not touchdown??" No one knew what the he11 was going on. And yes my voice is annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread