What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Steve Smith (NYG) Wouldnt mind another reciever (1 Viewer)

B Will

Footballguy
Giants: Smith would not mind another receiver

04/21/09 03:29 PM

THE NEWS

Steve Smith would not mind if the Giants added another receiver in the upcoming draft, according to the New York Daily News. Smith said, "I am excited if we bring in another big-time receiver, just to help us out and give us more depth."

Our View

Smith would likely be even more pleased if the Giants can acquire Braylon Edwards from the Browns. Smith could see a larger role this season following the departure of Plaxico Burress and with Amani Toomer not expected back.

I believe Smith's role will increase a lot this year because of Plaxico and Amani being out.

His numbers keep going up and his and eli's connection will just get better and better. He will be a solid #2 in this league in the NEAR future.. Mark my word.

I was traded Slaton Smith Hixon for Jennings a while back, i jumped on it. I wanted to fill my wr3 position. I have Randy Moss and Steve Smith (CAR) though....

I like Steve Smith, and what he brings to the NYG Offense. I agree that he's probably best suited to work out of the slot, but much like Welker in New England, if they bring in Edwards or another legitimate #1 WR, I think he stands to finish the Season ranking 2nd on the Giants in both Targets and Receptions, and makes a viable candidate for a FF WR3 with upside in PPR Leagues.

With Derrick Ward's absence and Kevin Boss's ceiling not being that high (~32 Receptions,IMO), I don't think there's another WR on the Roster who'll get more looks than Smith. He still needs that legitimate #1 commanding coverage to maximize his potential, however.

At this point, I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that the Giants will add one or more WR before long. They're almost 'too close' in a competitive Division and wide-open Conference not to. If it's the right type of Player, it'll go a long way towards allowing Smith to work in positions that play to his strengths. Without that Player, though, I'm not sure it bodes all that well for the statistics of either the Giants Rushing or Passing Games.

Ward was a HUGE loss, IMO. A much bigger loss than Burress, I think.

Hixon, Manningham, Tyree, SinMoss, Hagan and Biddle may be nice Players, but don't really stand out as 'threats' that have to be accounted for, IMO. If the Giants go into the Season with their current group, and no additions, how can Smith be anything but the main focus of the Passing Offense? I'm not sure anyone, except the Giants '09 Opponents, wants that...

Everybody's entitled to an opinion and I don't want to hijack this thread, but I gotta say this is pretty close to objectively wrong.It's clear that when the Giants didn't have a WR to demand double teams that their offense suffered tremendously while Ward is a nice, complementary RB who is a relatively easily replaceable piece. If you've watched Ware play, he is a lot like a younger, healthier, quicker Ward.

I couldn't disagree more. Without Burress the Giants were absolutely lost. Defenses didn't respect them. They were killed. Ward is nice but easily replacable - Bradshaw is going to shine this year IMO as the 2nd part of the RBBC, and if he fails, Ware will be good enough.

I saw what he said. He was being a good teammate and said whatever the team wants to do is fine. He's not a star that makes demands but he didn't say what he really felt either.

Users who are viewing this thread