What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre The Giant (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
"When Andre went out with a group of friends, he was the designated driver -- even when he was drinking." :loco:

Those crazy stories we heard about how much food and alcohol he put away? His close friend/handler Tim White confirmed it.

"The legend that follows Andre around... the food, the drink, he could do this... he could do that... he ate 16 steaks, 12 lobsters, drank a case of beer and 10 ten bottles of wine and topped it off with a bottle of Jack Daniels. Well I'm here to tell ya, it's all true."

His friends would always try to hang with him when they went out drinking. They would inevitably get sick, and he'd always be fine.

GB Dre! :bow:

he had 7,000 calories worth of booze every day. The figure doesn’t include food. Just booze.

once he had Sixteen bottles of wine in four hours which is a considerable feat, but it gets better. Andre proceeded straight to the ring and wrestled three matches, including a twenty-man battle royal.

Link

While it can be argued that a miniscule handful of professional wrestlers matched Andre’s in-ring achievements (Gorgeous George back in the ‘40s and ‘50s, perhaps; Dusty Rhodes in the ‘70s, and Hulk Hogan, without a doubt, in the ‘80s), no other wrestler ever matched his exploits as a drunkard. In fact, no other human has ever matched Andre as a drinker. He is the zenith. He is the Mount Everest of inebriation.

As far as great drunkards go, there is Andre the Giant, and then there is everyone else.

The big man loved two things: wrestling and booze—mostly booze—and his appetites were of mythic proportion.

First, consider the number 7,000. It’s an important number, and a rather scary one considering its context, which is this—it has been estimated that Andre the Giant drank 7,000 calories worth of booze every day. The figure doesn’t include food. Just booze.

You won’t find it in the Guinness Book of World Records, but Andre the Giant holds the world record for the largest number of beers consumed in a single sitting. These were standard 12-ounce bottles of beer, nothing fancy, but during a six-hour period Andre drank 119 of them. It was one of the few times Andre got drunk enough to pass out, which he did in a hallway at his hotel. His companions, quite drunk themselves, couldn’t move the big man. Fearing trouble with cops, they stole a piano cover from the lounge and draped it over Andre’s inert form. He slept peacefully until morning, unmolested by anyone. Perhaps the hotel people thought he was a piece of furniture.

Think about it: 119 beers in six hours. That’s a beer every three minutes, non stop. That’s beyond epic. It’s beyond the ken of mortal men. It’s god-like.

During trips Andre consumed beer at the incredible rate of a case every ninety minutes, with bottles of vodka or top-rate French wine thrown in for variety.

A very green rookie wrestler named Hulk Hogan toured Japan several times with Andre and witnessed the Giant’s alcohol consumption first hand. According to Hogan, Andre drank, at a minimum, a case of tall boys during each bus ride. When he finished a can Andre would belch, crush the can in his dinner-platter-sized hand, and bounce the empty off the back of Hogan’s head. Hogan learned to count each thunk, so he could anticipate when Andre was running low. Whenever the bus stopped, it was Hogan’s job to scamper off to the nearest store, buy as many cases of beer as he could carry, and make it back before the bus departed, a sight that never failed to make Andre roar his bassoon-like laugh.

On one tour, Andre’s Japanese sponsors rewarded him with a case of expensive plum wine. Andre settled down in the back of the bus and started drinking. Four hours later, the bus arrived at the next venue, and Andre was polishing off the last bottle of wine.

Sixteen bottles of wine in four hours is a considerable feat, but it gets better. Andre proceeded straight to the ring and wrestled three matches, including a twenty-man battle royal. The 16 bottles of plum wine had no discernible effect on Andre’s in-ring ability. By the end of the evening, Andre had sweated off the wine and found himself growing cranky. He dispatched Hogan for a few cases of beer. Hogan hurried to do as Andre asked, knowing from painful experience that a drunken Giant was a happy Giant, and a happy Giant was less likely to fracture some vital part of an opponent’s anatomy in a fit of grumpiness.

...Not willing to give up, Vince Jr. flew to France to speak with Andre in person. He took Andre to see doctors specializing in back and knee maladies. Radical back surgery was proposed. If successful, the procedure would lessen Andre’s pain and perhaps make it possible for him to get in the ring for Wrestlemania. If Andre was game, Vince Jr. agreed to pay for the entire cost of the surgery.

The time arrived, and the anesthesiologist was frantic. He had never put a person of Andre’s size under the gas before and had no idea how much to use. Various experts were brought in but no solution presented itself until one of the doctors asked Andre if he was a drinker. Andre responded that, yes, he’d been known to tip a glass from time to time. The doctor then wanted to know how much Andre drank and how much it took to get him drunk.

“Well,” rumbled the Giant, “It usually takes two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside.”

And thus was a solution found. The gas-passer was able to extrapolate a correct mixture for Andre by analyzing his alcohol intake. It was a medical breakthrough, and the system is still used to this day.

Andre led a sad and pathetic life.
All of his friends said he was happy wresting and drinking. Do you know something they don't?
I know that when someone has to drink "two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside” they aren't happy.
It wouldn't be a reach to think that the drinking was his form of painkillers for the wrestling-related injuries.
Either way, it led to his death.

All of his friends said he was happy wresting and drinking. Do you know something they don't?
I know that when someone has to drink "two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside" they aren't happy.
It wouldn't be a reach to think that the drinking was his form of painkillers for the wrestling-related injuries.
Yeah, it had nothing to do with the fact that he had a debilitating disease.He was 550 lbs. at his peak. Alcohol just isn't going to affect him the same way it does normal people. Plus, I just loathe people who pass judgment to make themselves feel better about their own pathetic lives.

I know that when someone has to drink "two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside" they aren't happy.
Yeah, it had nothing to do with the fact that he had a debilitating disease.He was 550 lbs. at his peak. Alcohol just isn't going to affect him the same way it does normal people. Plus, I just loathe people who pass judgment to make themselves feel better about their own pathetic lives.
He died of heart failure. Heavy drinking, let alone what you would call Andre's drinking, damages the heart:
"The etiology of alcohol-induced cardiomyopathy is unique and different from other forms of cardiomyopathy, especially the idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy," said Gwathmey. "Alcohol-induced cardiomyopathy is associated with changes in contraction and structural components that result in a reduction in the heart's pumping ability as well as the relaxation and filling of the heart. It is also associated with a significant increase in genes that cause cell death."While cessation of drinking may mitigate some of the alcohol-related damage to the heart, Gwathmey said there is a point at which heart failure becomes irreversible due to "architectural" changes that alcohol has caused in the heart."The 'architectural damage' we refer to is related to the decrease in cells which are responsible for holding all the cells together in the heart and keeping the normal structure and shape of the heart," she said. "Heart function is dependent on the tight connections of heart cells in order for it to work synchronously and efficiently. Any slippage in the alignment of the cells can have severe consequences on the function of the heart and result in a large dilated weak heart with poor pumping function. This damage occurs in addition to a high rate of cardiac cell death."In the early stages of chronic drinking, the heart can be forgiving, Gwathmey noted. "If the person stops drinking, heart failure is often reversible and/or can significantly improve," she said. "In fact, some patients do not even need medication if caught early enough. However, in later stages the architectural damage and cell death become so great that the heart failure becomes irreversible

Not taking the Sheik side at all, but you might want to ask Bad News Allen/Brown about this...http://www.thewrestlingfan.com/burgandvd8.html

The Andre the Giant [crap] story: Oh man, another wonderful Andre story came when Bad News talked about a time that the Giant was sick, but also had been drinking heavily all day long. The two had a match and Andre threw Bad News into the corner while saying, "Big ###, boss." This meant a splash in the corner. Once Andre hit Bad News with the splash he involuntarily lost control of his bowels. Okay, that's gross. Bad News went immediately to the shower and was completely disgusted, although it didn't add any heat to their "feud" because he knew Andre was sick and it wasn't intentional.

Not taking the Sheik side at all, but you might want to ask Bad News Allen/Brown about this...http://www.thewrestlingfan.com/burgandvd8.html

The Andre the Giant [crap] story: Oh man, another wonderful Andre story came when Bad News talked about a time that the Giant was sick, but also had been drinking heavily all day long. The two had a match and Andre threw Bad News into the corner while saying, "Big ###, boss." This meant a splash in the corner. Once Andre hit Bad News with the splash he involuntarily lost control of his bowels. Okay, that's gross. Bad News went immediately to the shower and was completely disgusted, although it didn't add any heat to their "feud" because he knew Andre was sick and it wasn't intentional.
:loco:

As much as I rag Hulk for that pathetic finishing move of his, I am still impressed that he could pick up & slam Andre.

Andre the Giant had an enormous schwanzstucker. It was the size of Verne Troyer and reportedly he would frequently lay it out to get some sun.

I consider myself a world class drinker. Then I read about Dre's exploits, and realize I'll never come close to reaching that level. He's the greatest drinker of all time.

Now I know how all those other golfers on the PGA tour used to feel like when competing against Tiger.

tdoss said:
Andre the Giant had an enormous schwanzstucker. It was the size of Verne Troyer and reportedly he would frequently lay it out to get some sun.
If I were that gifted I'd lay it out as well...sun be damned, I'm showing off that thing.

He died of heart failure. Heavy drinking, let alone what you would call Andre's drinking, damages the heart:
You're right. That's the only reason he could've had heart failure.Really big people never have heart disease. It's almost unheard of.

"André died in his sleep on January 27, 1993, in a Paris hotel room. He was in Paris to attend the funeral for his father. It was later concluded that he died of congestive heart failure, a by-product of the growth hormone-secreting pituitary tumor he had much of his life and chose not to have treated."

Not saying he didn't have an alcohol problem, but there was alot more going on there.

I grew up watching him from the very beginning, he was just great to watch.

I know that when someone has to drink "two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside” they aren't happy.
in pain <> unhappyif I had to guess, I'd say Andre's substance abuse problems were due to pain, not depression... I've never heard anyone say they even had an inkling that he was unhappy, not a wrestler, not a promotor/official, not anyone who worked in movies with him, no one...you have to remember that he already was likely in pain just from his size and his diseases/issues from his size... Add to that wrestling the way he did and traveling all the time, and I'm sure he was in pain always no matter what he was on or how much of it he was on... So he probably chose to use/abuse whatever he liked best (in this case alcohol)...

Last edited by a moderator:
:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure alcohol isn't what killed Andre the Giant... Rather it was the whole "Giant" thing...

"The etiology of alcohol-induced cardiomyopathy is unique and different from other forms of cardiomyopathy, especially the idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy," said Gwathmey. "Alcohol-induced cardiomyopathy is associated with changes in contraction and structural components that result in a reduction in the heart's pumping ability as well as the relaxation and filling of the heart. It is also associated with a significant increase in genes that cause cell death."While cessation of drinking may mitigate some of the alcohol-related damage to the heart, Gwathmey said there is a point at which heart failure becomes irreversible due to "architectural" changes that alcohol has caused in the heart."The 'architectural damage' we refer to is related to the decrease in cells which are responsible for holding all the cells together in the heart and keeping the normal structure and shape of the heart," she said. "Heart function is dependent on the tight connections of heart cells in order for it to work synchronously and efficiently. Any slippage in the alignment of the cells can have severe consequences on the function of the heart and result in a large dilated weak heart with poor pumping function. This damage occurs in addition to a high rate of cardiac cell death."In the early stages of chronic drinking, the heart can be forgiving, Gwathmey noted. "If the person stops drinking, heart failure is often reversible and/or can significantly improve," she said. "In fact, some patients do not even need medication if caught early enough. However, in later stages the architectural damage and cell death become so great that the heart failure becomes irreversible
don't talk about what you don't know about...Andre's heart failed due to complications with the disease he had that he chose not to treat properly until it was too late (if ever) called Acromegaly... It had nothing to do with his alcohol use/abuse...

Alcohol may not have been the cause but people with heart failure should not be drinking as much as he did, if at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alcohol may not have been the cause but people with heart failure should not be drinking as much as he did, if at all.
I agree...people with heart failure should not be drinking as much as he did...cause, you know...their heart failed...why are dead people drinking in the first place?Andre The Zombie?

A giant can of milwaukee's best light crushed my father. he was drinking with his pinky out...and wham. dead.

Andre was awesome. big show is a putz.

Users who are viewing this thread