What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need some Work related issue advice on how to settle a matter (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
Background: I work in Food retail at a supermarket in the PA area. I've worked currently here for 5 yrs with my overall with the same people 17 yrs this past June (Our old company was bought out when we filed our 2nd bankruptcy in less then 5 yrs). I work all over from stocking to beer and wine, to produce. 

The Situation: I have an ASD (Assistant Store Director) who I really like working for right now. Let's call him John here. John is 7 yrs younger then me (I'm 33 he's 26) married with 2 kids. Sometimes a bit immature for his age but nothing awful and remains professional amongst most people. I know his Uncle and Aunt as they live in my neighborhood and his 1 cousin went to school with me and was a class below me. John gives me a lot of hrs as I'm a part timer and gives me OT a lot. I've been hounding him about trying to get me Full time for awhile. Even have told him that if another store offers me Full Time and it makes sense I won't hesitate to leave (I'm pretty popular at my store as I'm like the do it all super utility player on the team), just to let them know I'm serious. 

John likes to leave an hour early or make up his own schedule when my SD Pete is not there. John will ask me to stay especially at nights (He and I both hate working nights till 10 usually) but then leave HR early. He's basically had me run the store for him. I've done his job a few times. The first few times I just thought ok cool I'm doing him a favor, maybe he tells Pete and this looks good on my resume when I apply for full time as it is another feather in my cap. John also feels bad I don't get paid more either but theres nothing we can do about that as it's all Unioned Contracted. John leaves routinely now early when he asks me to stay till 10 and then leaves. Pete has no idea Ive ran the store either. Last Wednesday I had to run my alcohol department till 10 (Shorthanded people on Vaca) and run the store because John was told to go to a meeting he didn't have to go too. However John was suppose to come in at 11, go to the meeting in NJ (The meeting was maybe 35-40 mins away), and come back and run the store because or PIC (Person In Charge) who does Wednesday nights had Jury duty that day. When I got to work on Wednesday John wasn't there and I asked our Intern ASD who was running the store (The interns are allowed to run the store as part of their training program) tonight. We looked and thought It was John. He calls John to see what's up. John calls me 10 mins later and says I'm running the store tonight because he came in early for a meeting and I'm the most experienced person there tonight. So I had to do 2 jobs that night. My Dairy kid took 2 hours to unload the delivery and Dairy Manager wasn't happy as he didn't get anything done that night because of it. I told my Dairy guy what happened and how John didn't work what he was suppose too. 

My Frozen manager and others aren't happy about what he did either to me. Putting me in a bad position as I'm not fully trained to run a store nor handle accident complaints. They aren't mad at me and think I can handle it but more mad at him for putting me in this position. Friday I stayed till 9. The floral girl Rose who's become a good friend of mine (Who I think might want to be more then friends with me) closed my Alcohol Friday night but was mad she found out her friends were going to dinner for another friend and she couldn't go now. I stayed to get her break out and finish helping John in grocery he calls me to the back says he's leaving. I ask him who's in charge because I was leaving. He says I am. Now I'm in an awkward position where I told Rose I was leaving at 9 I now have to stay till 10 because my security guy is leaving now and theres no one there who's experienced who can run it if sh** hits the fan. I could've left but if something happened at the store to one of my coworkers despite it being on John I couldn't forgive myself just leaving them (I am a team player to an extent).

Saturday I apologized to Rose and will talk to John to also apologize to her as she seemed pretty PO'd and upset over the whole situation. My Shop steward for the most part doesn't seem to really care I run the store so asking him what I should do doesn't help. Pete also doesn't like his employees throwing someone they work with under the bus. Right now I feel like my only option is calling the actual Union. I like John and I'm glad for the hrs but at the same time John is salary and all those HRS he's not working he's still getting paid (Besides Wednesday where he just came in early and left like it was his normal schedule). Rough estimate it's about 20 Hrs of time he's left early. He makes $30 Per Hr so that's roughly $600 he hasn't worked he got paid for and that doesn't count all the other times he's left early when I'm not there. I want to keep the OT going as long as possible because I really see the difference in my bank account. Don't mind the extra hours either most of the time. Just don't like him leaving early on me.

Not sure how I can address this directly to Pete without making it look like I threw John under the bus. I already told him on Friday people (my coworkers) are talking about he's doing and he needs to be more careful so I doubt he would blame me if someone did finally say something to him. Plus he doesn't take it too seriously either when I address him on it either. Going to the Union might also cause issues to pop up I don't want. If Pete knew what John was doing he wouldn't be happy. If he knew I ran the store a whole night he'd have a heart attack. Maybe not as bad as if someone else was left in charge but still. I want to address this in a professional matter as well where it doesn't look like I'm throwing people under the bus. The weird thing to all of this is despite my coworkers being concerned for me, none of them have addressed the matter with Pete themselves. I know some of them are part of my support group who are just looking out for me but theres others who might just be unhappy out of jealously and stuff and unhappy about it for the wrong reasons too. 

Should I address this with Pete? Call the Union about what to possible do? Try talking it out with John again? Suggest maybe if I'm gonna do his job at least train me to do it the right way? Maybe some other suggestion

Try talking with John. Explain you dont mind covering for him here and there, but it interferes with your life and can't continue to be a regular thing without him checking with you first in advance.

Dont go behind his back. Talk to him first, and if nothing changes afterwards, go to management.

Try talking with John. Explain you dont mind covering for him here and there, but it interferes with your life and can't continue to be a regular thing without him checking with you first in advance.

Dont go behind his back. Talk to him first, and if nothing changes afterwards, go to management.
Ignore this advice. Go with Roverfish on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. One bazillionty times this. End thread. You need no more advice.
Bah.  Are you new?

Sleep with Rose and maybe one of her friends.   Have her close Alcohol.   While she's closing Alcohol, have her sneak an open bottle into John's locker.   Tell Pete that John's been leaving early because he's drunk, and that he keeps his bottle in his locker.   When Pete finds John's booze and demotes him and makes him go to AA, tell Dairy Manager that Dairy Kid (worst superhero name ever) has been sleeping with Rose, and that's why it takes him so long to unload.   Dairy Manager will take over John's position, you move to Dairy, Rose moves to produce and it's peaches and cream from here on in.

I agree with this, and I will add that if you-know-what hits the fans, remember two things:

1) do not assume that your support group or that anyone else in the store will have your back.  If they do, great, but do not assume anyone will.
2) do not overestimate your worth to the company.  Many people assume they are irreplaceable, as if their place of business would fall apart without them.  Most of those people are wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread