Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
AhrnCityPahnder

Middle-aged fat guy to begin Jiu-Jitsu training

Interesting that there's multiple levels of classes there. At the gyms I've been going to typically there's only 2 levels: general and advanced, which is primarily sparring and fight prep. I know that some places actually do belts for BJJ. Arhn, do that have this over where you work out?

Yeah, they do belts here. For belt progression, you have to do gi training, and I've been going all no-gi so far. There's three levels of classes. First is intro -- you spend about 10 classes there. The highest level, I think everyone is purple belt or close to it (I'd have to check that, I may be wrong). I'm going to be in this "middle" class for a long time if I stick with it...probably several years.

Interesting. I'm 36 and thought of checking out taekwondo for a few years now, but figured I was too old to start.

My kids took tae kwon do and I would go to pick them up and watch. I finally got lured into taking it, and started when I was 38. I started BJJ at the same time. I'm 42 now. You aren't too old. Its fun. go for it!

Have you tried any newly acquired moves on your wife?

Ed O'Neil, Al Bundy from Married With Children, is a black belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu.

Ed O'Neil, Al Bundy from Married With Children, is a black belt in Brazilian Ju-Jitsu.

under who?edit, according to wiki:

After being introduced to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by his friend, writer/director John Milius, O'Neill has now trained in the martial art for 15 years under the mentoring of Rorion Gracie whose father actually created the art. In December 2007, O'Neill received his Black Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.[6]

Edited by AhrnCityPahnder

After being introduced to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu by his friend, writer/director John Milius, O'Neill has now trained in the martial art for 15 years under the mentoring of Rorion Gracie whose father actually created the art. In December 2007, O'Neill received his Black Belt in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.[6]

Al Bundy will knock you the #### out.

Is Al Bundy gonna have to choke a #####?

evidently true.

Nice job bro. Glad to see you're sticking with it. Also glad to see that you're working on your striking. Sometimes it's comical to see JJ people striking, although the ones that are good can pick it up pretty quickly. It's similar to seeing a striker on the ground. Not their repsecitve forté, but then again that's the point of cross discipline training.

Interesting that there's multiple levels of classes there. At the gyms I've been going to typically there's only 2 levels: general and advanced, which is primarily sparring and fight prep. I know that some places actually do belts for BJJ. Arhn, do that have this over where you work out? It's one of the downsides to MT training... there's no belts or levels, just sparring with people and doing "smokers" against people from other gyms. I've never done a smoker, as even with 4+ years of MT training 2-3x per week, I'm no where near good enough (especially on D) to hang with even amateur fighters, even wearing shin pads + headgear.

Z, are you saying that JJ here does not involve striking, kicking or any aggressive moves? No weapons training either? I intend to start training at a club again very shortly, but am struggling to find something that's incorporating grappling and defensive moves along with striking, kicking, weapons...

Nice job bro. Glad to see you're sticking with it. Also glad to see that you're working on your striking. Sometimes it's comical to see JJ people striking, although the ones that are good can pick it up pretty quickly. It's similar to seeing a striker on the ground. Not their repsecitve forté, but then again that's the point of cross discipline training.

Interesting that there's multiple levels of classes there. At the gyms I've been going to typically there's only 2 levels: general and advanced, which is primarily sparring and fight prep. I know that some places actually do belts for BJJ. Arhn, do that have this over where you work out? It's one of the downsides to MT training... there's no belts or levels, just sparring with people and doing "smokers" against people from other gyms. I've never done a smoker, as even with 4+ years of MT training 2-3x per week, I'm no where near good enough (especially on D) to hang with even amateur fighters, even wearing shin pads + headgear.

Z, are you saying that JJ here does not involve striking, kicking or any aggressive moves? No weapons training either? I intend to start training at a club again very shortly, but am struggling to find something that's incorporating grappling and defensive moves along with striking, kicking, weapons...
I've been training for about a year now at a dojo that is very similar to what you're looking for. It's a karate base system but we do a lot of the things you listed. I try to make it to 3 classes a week when I can. Tuesday is usually base techniques and applications, Thursdays are usually standup/striking, and Saturdays are a mixed Jiu-Jitsu and Judo class. We do weapons every now and then, with the cane being our base weapon.

I'm ramping up to try and test for my brown belt in the next few months or so.

straight JJ is no striking and no weapons. It's submission grappling. I'm taking one class of that a week, and one class of "MMA striking", which incorporates Boxing, Muay Thai, and Wrestling takedowns for Ground & Pound. For weapons training, there's several things you can look into but a couple that come to mind are Eskrima and Krav Maga.

straight JJ is no striking and no weapons. It's submission grappling. I'm taking one class of that a week, and one class of "MMA striking", which incorporates Boxing, Muay Thai, and Wrestling takedowns for Ground & Pound. For weapons training, there's several things you can look into but a couple that come to mind are Eskrima and Krav Maga.
Interesting... the JJ systems I am used to involves grappling as well as striking/kicking, weapons. Sound to me it's more segmented in dojos here, which is fine. No wonder it's hard to find a one-size-fits-all.Worm, could you post the system/style name that you are training?

I took classes in Wing Chun (or wing tsun) kung fu for a while when I lived in Chicago. It is pretty much pure striking, not flashy and very effective. I really enjoyed it (except when I came to work with fat lips and facial bruising), but there is no place that teaches it near where I live now.

straight JJ is no striking and no weapons. It's submission grappling.

I'm taking one class of that a week, and one class of "MMA striking", which incorporates Boxing, Muay Thai, and Wrestling takedowns for Ground & Pound.

For weapons training, there's several things you can look into but a couple that come to mind are Eskrima and Krav Maga.

Interesting... the JJ systems I am used to involves grappling as well as striking/kicking, weapons. Sound to me it's more segmented in dojos here, which is fine. No wonder it's hard to find a one-size-fits-all.

Worm, could you post the system/style name that you are training?

Ken Zen Ichii Karate (www.kenzenichii.com)

It's a karate based system, and was branched from Wado Ryu karate.

We train in an old school dojo... last week we were rolling and looked up to see a 4 ft. black snake meandering just off the mat. :thumbup:

Ken Zen Ichii Karate (www.kenzenichii.com)

It's a karate based system, and was branched from Wado Ryu karate.

We train in an old school dojo... last week we were rolling and looked up to see a 4 ft. black snake meandering just off the mat. :confused:

:confused: Thanks, I'll check that out tonight.

That's how it's been at the gyms that I've been to thus far. The JJ/BJJ training is all grappling and submission, sometimes with gi, and sometimes not. I've never seen any weapons training, although there's plenty of defensive training in JJ/BJJ. There's no kicks in BJJ that I know of really, although I don't train in it and only see it briefly.If you're looking for weapons and "street skills" look for a Krav Maga class. It's pretty bad-###, although your body does take a beating, particularly the wrists and shoulders.If you're looking for striking, check out Muay Thai. I do it for the workout, not for the fight training, but I'm pretty certain I could hold my own in the street (until someone gets me on the ground). The biggest issue with MT away from the ring/gym is the lack of gloves. Many of the defensive moves utilize the padding in the gloves to deflect/parry shots, particularly hooks to the head. Without the gloves, those punches will do a LOT more damage. Edited by The Z Machine

We train in an old school dojo... last week we were rolling and looked up to see a 4 ft. black snake meandering just off the mat.

The bruthas don't wear pants in your dojo? :pickle:

I've decided I want to start ju-juitsu. Is 10th Planet reputable? I talked to the head coach at the local gym the other day, and he seemed like a knowledgable guy, says he has regular contact with Eddie Bravo etc.

I know it's not traditional BJJ, but I just want to make sure this guy isn't bull####ting me.

I would look into Aikido charvik.

It is "grappling" but using your opponents weight and redirecting their force along with some weapons and striking.

I would look into Aikido charvik.

It is "grappling" but using your opponents weight and redirecting their force along with some weapons and striking.

Yeah, Aikido is one way to go, or Aiki-Jutsu if that's available here. I've done that in the past as well, so it fits in.

Thanks for the suggestion.

:devil: went to my first practice today. 34 years old, and I haven't done anything remotely athletic in years.

eating dinner 2 hours before practice was a bad idea.

what kind of practice?

adult submission grappling a this place. My buddy got me a free month pass and I figured I'd give it a shot. I have a strong wrestling background so I feel ok on my feet, but I want to learn the ground game. It's definitely a gym geared towards competition. Maybe I'll get into it further, we'll see how the month goes.

nice. Keep us posted with updates.

I upped for a six month commitment this week...this is pretty much the only exercise regime that will keep my interest, and really enjoying it so far.

The stuff we are working is basically ju-jitsu, but they throw in some Judo and other various techniques. It's derived from the Hayastan school, founded by Gokor Chivichyan. We've been working on mostly submissions from the guard (triangle, gullotine, arm bars, leg locks, etc), passing guard, and last night we did some Judo style throws. There is a takedown and throws class, but I haven't been going to that - no need. There is a kickboxing class too - Muay Tai, boxing, etc. I sat in and watched that for a bit and that looks pretty fun...eventually I'd like to get into that.

This school is in a Gi for 2 weeks and no-Gi for two weeks, which keeps things fresh. Last week I got my first opponent to tap out with a scissor-choke using the Gi - the first time I have been able to execute something - it felt good to have a little success.

Comparing vs traditional wrestling - it's very different. The biggest thing I'm struggling with is the tempo. Wrestling is all about keeping pressure on your opponent and control. Speed and strength are very important. In ju-jitsu, it's not about speed and strength, it's about using one move to set up another move. It's more of a cat and mouse game, where you work to catch someone in one of a million holds. You don't win with this stuff by being stronger or faster, and it's been tough for me to slow down and think about what's going on. Outside of that, there's the whole "be comfortable on your back" bit that wrestlers have a natural aversion to, but I'll work that out.

I upped for a six month commitment this week...this is pretty much the only exercise regime that will keep my interest, and really enjoying it so far.

The stuff we are working is basically ju-jitsu, but they throw in some Judo and other various techniques. It's derived from the Hayastan school, founded by Gokor Chivichyan. We've been working on mostly submissions from the guard (triangle, gullotine, arm bars, leg locks, etc), passing guard, and last night we did some Judo style throws. There is a takedown and throws class, but I haven't been going to that - no need. There is a kickboxing class too - Muay Tai, boxing, etc. I sat in and watched that for a bit and that looks pretty fun...eventually I'd like to get into that.

This school is in a Gi for 2 weeks and no-Gi for two weeks, which keeps things fresh. Last week I got my first opponent to tap out with a scissor-choke using the Gi - the first time I have been able to execute something - it felt good to have a little success.

Comparing vs traditional wrestling - it's very different. The biggest thing I'm struggling with is the tempo. Wrestling is all about keeping pressure on your opponent and control. Speed and strength are very important. In ju-jitsu, it's not about speed and strength, it's about using one move to set up another move. It's more of a cat and mouse game, where you work to catch someone in one of a million holds. You don't win with this stuff by being stronger or faster, and it's been tough for me to slow down and think about what's going on. Outside of that, there's the whole "be comfortable on your back" bit that wrestlers have a natural aversion to, but I'll work that out.

I'm amazed at the difference in myself between when I started and now with regards to grappling. I'm much better at relaxing no matter what situation I'm in, catching my composure, and working intelligently to get out of it instead of trying to muscle it and wearing myself out. It's so key not to panic and just keep your mind straight.

Just got a date for my brown belt test at the end of February. :lmao:

I'm amazed at the difference in myself between when I started and now with regards to grappling. I'm much better at relaxing no matter what situation I'm in, catching my composure, and working intelligently to get out of it instead of trying to muscle it and wearing myself out. It's so key not to panic and just keep your mind straight.

I'm amazed at how many of you nerds are total bad asses IRL.

If any of you guys are in South Florida area, and good friend of mine teaches down there, we wrestled together in JH/HS and in a lot of Freesytle tourneys in the summers, excellent Grappler/BJJ guy, has been doing MMA now too...

Pablo Popovitch Mixed Martial Arts Academy

Edited by Sheriff66

Very nice. good luck....that's nothing to sneeze at at all. What's your total time studying now?

Just got a date for my brown belt test at the end of February. :unsure:

Very nice. good luck....that's nothing to sneeze at at all. What's your total time studying now?
Year and a half, 2-3 times a week.

Sorry if I missed an update...is this for a JJ brown belt or is it in the karate system you mentioned above?

Sorry if I missed an update...is this for a JJ brown belt or is it in the karate system you mentioned above?
Karate. But as I mentioned, our system is very broad and we incorporate a lot of other disciplines.

Just got a date for my brown belt test at the end of February. :goodposting:

How much weight have you lost with this training?

evidently true.
I did Gracie Jiu Jitsu for about a year and a half. In order to move up in belts, you had to take a class with one of the Gracies and they would tell the teacher to move you up. When I started it was $50 a month for 4 classes a week and I got a ton of classes in that first 6 months, then it started to get popular with the UFC 1 and then it was $50 a month for 2 classes a week. By the time I stopped it was $50 a month for 1 class a week. I still remember a lot of the stuff they taught and would love to get back into it, but it's just too damn expensive.

Nice job getting into it Mo. I'm not a wrestler and don't like scrapping on the ground, so I stick to stand-up. That said, I'm taking a hiatus from the MT training as my work project is kicking into high gear, I got married, and my body needs to heal a bit. I took a hard knock on my left forearm in sparring in Dec (a blocked high kick) and thought I might have fractured the outside bone in my forearm. There was a HUGE knot right on the bone and it was pressing on my nerves in my arm causing it to fall asleep and get tingly for about 2 weeks straight. I had it X-rayed, vame back negative, but the knot didn't go down for about 5-6 weeks.

I can tell you that my knees feel about 1000000% better since I stopped. I can run up stairs again without pain! But I am getting soft in the middle again.

I'll get back into the gym in about 5 months I think when things cool down.

Best of luck. Try not get KTFO.

I want an update on how it's going with the OP.

I'm also looking to get into this; coming from a wrestling background (12-18 yrs old) with a little Judo (college club). Class I'm looking at is a mix where they do 2-3 classes in a row on one discipline then switching. I'm not sure I have the time or gumption for competetion with two young kids, but should be fun. Disciplines are: Muay Thai, jiu jitsu, modern Arnis (stick fighting), boxing and San Soo (style of kung fu). Taking it for fun and entertainment. It may be fun to focus on one (BJJ appeals most) at a higher level competetion facility but I live in the boonies and have to find something that works around life.

How much weight have you lost with this training?

My weight has stayed around the same for the past several months. I could lock down my diet more for better results...I'm eating pretty well but not great. In the past month, I've started swimming 2-3x a week mainly to help my cardio. Currently doing 750m each visit to the pool....that will go up as my cardio allows. Clothes are fitting differently, and I can visibly see that my definition is getting better in arms and shoulder, but weight isn't changing much. :lmao: I know what I need to do if I want that to happen.

I want an update on how it's going with the OP.

going well, still have striking once a week and BJJ once a week. Blue belts that were destroying me 3 months ago are now just doing well against me, but not embarrassingly bad on my end like it used to be.

I had a torn triceps tendon repaired in September. It hampered my physical activity for years, and I finally got it fixed. I was immobilized in October, started moving it again in November, and started strengthening it in December. Finished PT last week and I've the green light to start pushing myself again. I've really enjoyed getting back into the gym and exercising again. I'm very seriously considering Krav Maga. Anyone have any experience with it?

By the way, for those of you who've never had the pleasure, tearing a tendon is markedly worse than breaking a bone. I'd have gladly swapped a clean break of an arm or a leg for the nuisance of a torn tendon. When I listen to medical reports for sports teams now, I pay very close attention to tendon injuries. They take forever to heal, and they're a ###### to rehab.

I had a torn triceps tendon repaired in September. It hampered my physical activity for years, and I finally got it fixed. I was immobilized in October, started moving it again in November, and started strengthening it in December. Finished PT last week and I've the green light to start pushing myself again. I've really enjoyed getting back into the gym and exercising again. I'm very seriously considering Krav Maga. Anyone have any experience with it?

By the way, for those of you who've never had the pleasure, tearing a tendon is markedly worse than breaking a bone. I'd have gladly swapped a clean break of an arm or a leg for the nuisance of a torn tendon. When I listen to medical reports for sports teams now, I pay very close attention to tendon injuries. They take forever to heal, and they're a ###### to rehab.

I'd highly recommend Krav Maga if you're interested in something like that. I'm sure you'd get a kick-### workout and learn some very real-world skills.

Ryu karate

:thumbsup:I have found the blue fireball to be an excellent defensive tactic. Just don't fall in love with it. If it is overused, someone will come over the top and kick you in the face.

Left my wedding ring at the dojo last night. :goodposting:

Ryu karate

:thumbsup:I have found the blue fireball to be an excellent defensive tactic. Just don't fall in love with it. If it is overused, someone will come over the top and kick you in the face.
:shrug: And watch out for Blanka....he'll tear you up.

Be careful. Krav is definitely hard on the body, especially the joints. You won't be wearing wraps or gloves as the discipline is to train you in hand to hand combat for any situation and you're not going to have time to wrap your wrists before a fight in the street. My buddy did it for about 6 months but had to give it up as his wrists and shoulders couldn't take the abuse.

A torn triceps tendon won't impact you THAT much here but I did want to give you fair warning.

Be careful. Krav is definitely hard on the body, especially the joints. You won't be wearing wraps or gloves as the discipline is to train you in hand to hand combat for any situation and you're not going to have time to wrap your wrists before a fight in the street. My buddy did it for about 6 months but had to give it up as his wrists and shoulders couldn't take the abuse.

A torn triceps tendon won't impact you THAT much here but I did want to give you fair warning.

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up. I've never done any martial arts or martial arts style training at all despite having been interested in it for years, so I'm as green as they come. I'll certainly keep this in mind.

I'm starting my BJJ experience on Tuesday as a 33 year old. I stopped in for a class at a place that focused more on just Jiu Jitsu and thought it looked awesome so am signing up for awhile. I've been doing strength and conditioning with some MMA guys once a week for the last month and I hope that helps. As a former wrestler who took a little judo (both more than 12 years ago) I hope it is an easier experience, but fully expect to be humbled.

For those that roll, a quick straw poll: do you wear a cup? mouthguard? head gear/ear protection? I have a custom guard in the works (gladiator) and head gear (Brute Quad III) but am passing on the cup for now and will wear compression/triathlon shorts I have in my possession until I decide I need them.

Rock on!

I'm starting my BJJ experience on Tuesday as a 33 year old. I stopped in for a class at a place that focused more on just Jiu Jitsu and thought it looked awesome so am signing up for awhile. I've been doing strength and conditioning with some MMA guys once a week for the last month and I hope that helps. As a former wrestler who took a little judo (both more than 12 years ago) I hope it is an easier experience, but fully expect to be humbled.For those that roll, a quick straw poll: do you wear a cup? mouthguard? head gear/ear protection? I have a custom guard in the works (gladiator) and head gear (Brute Quad III) but am passing on the cup for now and will wear compression/triathlon shorts I have in my possession until I decide I need them.Rock on!

I wear a cup, no mouth guard, no head gear, no shoes. I didn't typically wear a cup in my wrestling days and never had any problems, but in BJJ, there's a heck of a lot more going on between your legs so I'd think protection would be necessary.One other thing I do is put a couple wraps of tape around the knuckles of my feet. Within a couple of weeks, I had 4 mat burns on each foot - not good. I guess as a former wrestler I'm used to moving my feet in a certain way, and that doesn't really work very well bare-foot.Good luck!

We train in an old school dojo... last week we were rolling and looked up to see a 4 ft. black snake meandering just off the mat.

The bruthas don't wear pants in your dojo? :goodposting:
How did this get by? Hardest I ever laughed reading FFA.

For those that roll, a quick straw poll: do you wear a cup? mouthguard? head gear/ear protection?

Yes, cup/compression shortsdon't wear a mouthguard when I'm rolling (I do while striking) -- but there was once in JJ I was wishing I had it in. Had a guys back and he went to escape and he accidentally put the back of his head into my face. no headwear. Also, like moleculo said...I have certain areas that I keep getting mat burn on my feet. I tape my big toe on my right foot and my middle toe on my left foot. not sure why it's repeatedly those two areas.I woudn't pass on the cup if I were you. Edited by AhrnCityPahnder