What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best mattress? (2 Viewers)

Reviving this thread for recommendations, especially those of you who have tried:

Purple

Tuft and Needle

Nectar

Probably looking for something in that price range.  Looks like people like the Purple.

My biggest issue is I need a memory foam/latex/purple/whatever that doesn’t make me or the dogs slide off the edge if we’re not sleeping in the middle.  Wife tends to go to bed earlier and take up the majority of the bed so one of us usually ends up on the edge. Which leads to back problems if I have to keep shifting all night because the edge is soft and falls down. 

We have had a Restonic “medium firm” latex mattress for about 8 years and still love it. No rolling off the edge and don’t feel movement of other person when they switch positions or get in/off bed.  I think there are several brands of mattresses with some latex/memory foam/gel trying to take the advantages of each material. We both had back aches the first couple weeks getting use to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviving this thread for recommendations, especially those of you who have tried:

Purple

Tuft and Needle

Nectar

Probably looking for something in that price range.  Looks like people like the Purple.

My biggest issue is I need a memory foam/latex/purple/whatever that doesn’t make me or the dogs slide off the edge if we’re not sleeping in the middle.  Wife tends to go to bed earlier and take up the majority of the bed so one of us usually ends up on the edge. Which leads to back problems if I have to keep shifting all night because the edge is soft and falls down. 
I've been happy with my Tuft and Needle. It's about 5 years old now and still holding up well, IMO. Only thing I had to do is get a gel topper (el cheapo one from Walmart worked fine) as the plain mattress did tend to sleep a little "hot" for my tastes. The topper solved that perfectly. 

Purple

Tuft and Needle

Nectar

Have the purple and love it, just the basic model.  Have only had it for a couple of months though, so I can't vouch for longevity or coolness in the summer.  I don't think I have the same issue with sleeping on the edge, so I can't say if that has enough support to prevent your back issues.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a cheap memory foam pillow from Target, and the two have been life changing.  Though since it is cheap, it is already losing its shape.  Will definitely splurge on a nice memory foam pillow next time.

Man wish I would have checked here.  I just bought a Serta memory foam/gel mattress.  Great price.  Lower back has been a mess lately so hopefully this helps.
So far so good on this fairly inexpensive Serta.  I spend a LOT of time on this bed watching TV so it gets a lot of use.  

So far so good on this fairly inexpensive Serta.  I spend a LOT of time on this bed watching TV so it gets a lot of use.  
If you spend a lot of time watching TV, I’d recommend an adjustable base. My wife typically heads to sleep earlier than me since she handles the earlier school. She loves it and my youngest son now watches movies in our bedroom. We got the Nectar plush at Mattress Warehouse. It was cheaper than online and they had decent bases that were on sale, also cheaper. All the premium moving stuff, but no massage. All said, very happy so far with the bases and mattress. I ended up getting a 10 year warranty on both bases for only $99 a piece (split king so basically two twin XLs with two bases). I have no idea how long it’ll last but most online were 1-3 year warranties.

I’m a side sleeper but starting to make the transition to back sleeper in the zero gravity mode with a little higher on the head. Seems to be helping my bad shoulder, wish I had it years ago before it got bad.

Have the purple and love it, just the basic model.  Have only had it for a couple of months though, so I can't vouch for longevity or coolness in the summer.  I don't think I have the same issue with sleeping on the edge, so I can't say if that has enough support to prevent your back issues.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a cheap memory foam pillow from Target, and the two have been life changing.  Though since it is cheap, it is already losing its shape.  Will definitely splurge on a nice memory foam pillow next time.
Went with a purple. Apparently they specifically address edge support with the mattress so I figure I’ll get it, if it sucks I’ll send it back.  Thanks to everyone for recommendations. 

I bought a mattress recently from sleepez.com 

Latex with adjustable base.  Great customer service chat for questions.  Super transparent...you get to select the number of layers, the materials, the firmness of each layer.  I thought a great price relative to what else I was seeing for Talalay latex

Went with iComfort after a lot of back and forth. It’s between plush and firm (medium) and I have to say it’s pretty awesome. Replaced the “box springs”/foundation too as one of them began to slump. Have had it since Thanksgiving and have been pretty happy. 

We are moving into a new home this summer so we are going to spring for a new king sized bed after getting 13 years out of our sleep number bed. We tried many different ones but we are honing in on the Tempur-Pedic Pro adapt medium firmness bed with the adjustable base. An amazing mattress we feel. I really can't believe how it completely conforms to your body. And the coolness of the materials make it also great.

Yes a pretty penny. But to me a fantastic investment.  

Looking for a new mattress.  What I have is too firm.

A few details:

• I'm tall and fat (6'2", 375)
  • Side sleeper
  • So, bad pressure points at the shoulder, hip, and the bottom part of my ribs.
So, I'm guessing memory foam.  I'd like to hear from any similar-sized individuals on what has worked for them.

I already have an adjustable base, and I love it.

A few details:

• Side sleeper
So, I'm guessing memory foam.  I'd like to hear from any similar-sized individuals on what has worked for them.

Check out a latex mattress. You tend to lay more on top of the mattress, yet it provides great support to the entire body. I didn’t like the way you sink into the memory foam a little bit and it kind of molded to your body. People will tend to like either latex or the memory foam better. 

Check out a latex mattress. You tend to lay more on top of the mattress, yet it provides great support to the entire body. I didn’t like the way you sink into the memory foam a little bit and it kind of molded to your body. People will tend to like either latex or the memory foam better. 
Do you have a brand you recommend?

Our all latex Restonic which we have loved for about 9 years, is getting replaced.  It was the second most firm mattress Restonic had at the time. I have grown up sleeping on firm beds.  Now with some recent bursitis and shoulder aches, we are going with a mattress from FloBeds with a softer custom design. You can configure each side for the softness and support necessary for each person.  Generally you want your shoulder and hip to drop down a little bit with support for your head, back and legs; basically trying to form a straight line across your legs and spine.  About 6 weeks ago I woke up in the night with burning bursitis on one side that only hurts when I lay down on my side-no pain walking, sitting or standing. Doctor said it should go away and no serious hip joint issue. Currently we are using a 3" memory foam topper to alleviate the pain until the new mattress is deliver in about a week.  Using The Mattress Underground I dove into all the information for a couple weeks. We really liked a Pure Talalay Bliss (all Talalay) at a local store but the cost was $2999 "on sale".  Flobeds sells all Talalay latex and you can custom design each side of the mattress with different layers of firmness.  There are several companies from The Mattress Underground that offer all latex and a few that offer all Talalay. The deciding factor was the opportunity to get different layers of firmness "forever" for 20 years (at least as long as they are in business). During the first 100 days, its free for the layer plus $75 shipping and total refund if you want to return the bed. The layer replacement cost increases in 5 year increments.  The top layer is a 2" "convoluted" (egg crate) layer (effective ILD is 14). The left side progresses with a 3" comfort layer of ILD 22, a 3" support layer of ILD 28 and a 3" support core of ILD 36. The right side progresses with a 3" comfort layer of ILD 22, a 3" support layer of ILD 32 and a lower support core of ILD 40".  You can play with the layers or switch layers to the other side to fine tune the feel and support.  Cost is $1,950, including shipping, which seems on the high end for this thread. Received an additional 5% off with a TheMattressUnderground discount. The downside is they ship you several boxes of the foam layers (similiar to bed-in-a-box) and you have to construct the mattress, which takes about 15-30 minutes.  Then you can reconfigure as you want. Neither of us like the memory foam feel so that is why we are going with latex again.  I worked with Dewey at Flobeds to fine tune the layers. 

There are several other companies we considered, including FoamSweetFoamSleeping OrganicSleepEZ and Arizona Premium Mattress. I think all of these companies, as well as FloBeds, has Youtube videos explaining their mattress construction.  I believe they were all under $2,000 for a custom layers for a queen (we ordered day after Memorial Day).  Some would only do a "dunlop" latex for the bottom 6" core layer(s).  A general comparison of dunlop and talalay is dunlop consistency is more dense and like "pound cake" with inconsistent air pockets in the foam while talalay is more springy and like "angel food" cake with very consistent air pockets.  For those of you that are interested, ILD is measurement of "softness" that measures how much weight will compress the foam 25%, where 10 is extremely soft and 40+ is very firm. If you want to reduce the cost even more you can order layers of foam (latex or memory foam) from some DIY foam companies. 

See post right before this one. We are trying FloBeds but there are several that offer all-latex and some that offer all-Talalay latex. It might be helpful to try and find a local store that at least has latex to see if you like the feel vs memory foam.  

A few details:

• Side sleeper

First thing is to decide between memory foam and latex or a hybrid that includes a layer of springs. Each have a different feel from the other and it seems people will generally like one more than the others.  At your weight, I would probably stay away from all Talalay latex and need a thicker bed 12" or more for the support.  If you you look at some of the companies at TheMattressUnderground, you can call or do an online chat or email and they will be very transparent in what they think the right configuration would be for you.

We just purchased a King size Firm Tempur-Pedic Luxe Breeze. We laid down on many different brands. Before making the decision (we are moving to a new home June 29th). We spent the last 13 years on our Sleep Number 5000. Was a great run. But after going back to sleep number to check out their latest and greatest, plus laying down on the Simmons Beauty Rest Black, and then Tempur......the choice was clear for us.

We did the the adjustable base as well. Went all out for this one. The bed in simply feels amazing. We get a 90 day sleep guarantee which is nice. So if for some reason it does not work out we get a 100% refund within 90 days.

Not sure if you purchased yet but I really like our new Nectar Plush. They have a non-plush one that wasn’t quite as comfy. I’m not quite your size but I’m not a small guy and it really feels like it’ll be comfortable and not indent. It’s got a great warranty as well. The only bed I liked a little better were the Tempur-Pedic ones that were plush/soft like this but the prices were way more than I wanted to spend. I’m about to start year 2 of 12 for college payments so spending upwards of $10k since we wanted adjustable bases was a no go. I liked the Nectar enough and honestly we’ve slept well for a few months now. Not hot at all. Also, if you decide on it, we got a really good deal on the bases at Mattress Warehouse. I think it was around $500 per base and $100 for a 10 year warranty on both (total). It was much better overall than the online price and believe me I spent a bunch of time online checking prices. The base doesn’t have USB ports or crazy stuff, just wireless remote with memory. 

Like @Todem we've had a sleep number king for probably close to 15 years.  The firmness adjustability was a big feature for us, as my wife indicated she wanted something much firmer than I did.  I gave her grief when our sleep numbers were only 5 apart. Aside from the natural comfort, I think a big feature for me this time will be finding one that can help keep me cool at night. I've read a lot of good things about Purple online but don't know anyone who has one personally.  Thoughts?

Like @Todem we've had a sleep number king for probably close to 15 years.  The firmness adjustability was a big feature for us, as my wife indicated she wanted something much firmer than I did.  I gave her grief when our sleep numbers were only 5 apart. Aside from the natural comfort, I think a big feature for me this time will be finding one that can help keep me cool at night. I've read a lot of good things about Purple online but don't know anyone who has one personally.  Thoughts?
The Tempur we bought is 8 degrees cooler than you body temp....it is amazing. 

We have been waking up hot with the temporary memory foam topper we have. Can't wait for the new bed to arrive, hopefully next week.

anyone with a Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid?

we're looking at buying one, but thought some quick reviews from real people would be good

Just got a Puffy Lux.  Slept on it for the first time last night.  It could be that our old mattress was so bad, but my lower back felt a lot better waking up this morning.  I am hoping that it helps out.  I know it can't be worse.  Just moving the old mattress out of the room, it was so flimsy and crappy that its a wonder I didn't just die in my sleep.

Usually I wake up in the morning and I get up because my back hurts too bad to go back to sleep.  This morning, I was able to sleep in until 7:30. It was glorious.

anyone with a Simmons Beautyrest Black Hybrid?

we're looking at buying one, but thought some quick reviews from real people would be good
We bought an Eastern King Simmons Beautyrest Black Lydia Luxury Extra Firm a few years ago and have been very happy without any issues.

Mattresses are going to be a very personalized choice. 

I would go to a mattress store and lay around to determine what you like/dislike and feels the best and supportive.  Once you figure out which ones you like, I'd compare with similar mattress builds.  The prices are all over the board.

We bought an Eastern King Simmons Beautyrest Black Lydia Luxury Extra Firm a few years ago and have been very happy without any issues.

I would go to a mattress store and lay around to determine what you like/dislike and feels the best and supportive.  Once you figure out which ones you like, I'd compare with similar mattress builds.  The prices are all over the board.
I believe that is the most random words I have ever seen crammed together to make a product name.  

we did the mattress rounds & found the mattress we liked best was a Beautyrest Black Hybrid.  purchased from Ashley Furniture, who had extended their Memorial Day sale until this weekend so we got a good deal. :thumbup:

we did the mattress rounds & found the mattress we liked best was a Beautyrest Black Hybrid.  purchased from Ashley Furniture, who had extended their Memorial Day sale until this weekend so we got a good deal. :thumbup:
Nice.  We had a "W" mattress before, and there is no comparison with our purchase.

We have a Macy's furniture outlet nearby, so we were able to source one from there for a ridiculous price.

Gotta buy a new bed.  I'm 5'11", 180-190ish, tummy sleeper.  Have been waking up with lower back pain, so I think I need something firmer.  Willing to spend more for quality, but don't want to go much over $2k if I can.  Current queen (and boxspring and metal frame) will go to guest room, so I assume will need some type of frame or platform to put it on.  Looked at a few things online, but with covid I can't really go anywhere and lay down on a bunch to see what I like best. 

Any recommendations?

Ive seen this thread for years and always wondered what went on in here.... anywho.... never gave mattresses much thought, but this past week we stayed in a plush beach house that came with Four Seasons Hotel Collection beds.

O.M.G.  :eek:

It was literally a life-changer and now I must have one. Price tag is $3249. Someone talk me off this ledge. Is there a cheaper knock-off out there that's similar?

Can anyone chime in on SleepNumber Sleep Number?

We are thinking of going their most basic Queen at $999 or their King at $1,499.

Thanks. 

We were going to pull the trigger on a Winkbed or Saatva, but decided to check out some mattresses at Mattress Firm first. Wound up going with a king Stearns & Foster Medium Rockwell. We purchased a return to save some bucks and asked for some discounted tempurpedic pillows and a Purple mattress cover. All worked out. Saved well more than $1k but still wasn't cheap. Outstanding bed.

Middle age means go big or go home. Or waste money on a mattress. Got the Pro Breeze Medium Hybrid. Should deliver in a few weeks. 

We just purchased a King size Firm Tempur-Pedic Luxe Breeze. We laid down on many different brands. Before making the decision (we are moving to a new home June 29th). We spent the last 13 years on our Sleep Number 5000. Was a great run. But after going back to sleep number to check out their latest and greatest, plus laying down on the Simmons Beauty Rest Black, and then Tempur......the choice was clear for us.

We did the the adjustable base as well. Went all out for this one. The bed in simply feels amazing. We get a 90 day sleep guarantee which is nice. So if for some reason it does not work out we get a 100% refund within 90 days.
How are  you liking it?  My gf keeps pushing me to buy one, but Im leaning towards all latex.  

Our all latex Restonic which we have loved for about 9 years, is getting replaced.  It was the second most firm mattress Restonic had at the time. I have grown up sleeping on firm beds.  Now with some recent bursitis and shoulder aches, we are going with a mattress from FloBeds with a softer custom design. You can configure each side for the softness and support necessary for each person.  Generally you want your shoulder and hip to drop down a little bit with support for your head, back and legs; basically trying to form a straight line across your legs and spine.  About 6 weeks ago I woke up in the night with burning bursitis on one side that only hurts when I lay down on my side-no pain walking, sitting or standing. Doctor said it should go away and no serious hip joint issue. Currently we are using a 3" memory foam topper to alleviate the pain until the new mattress is deliver in about a week.  Using The Mattress Underground I dove into all the information for a couple weeks. We really liked a Pure Talalay Bliss (all Talalay) at a local store but the cost was $2999 "on sale".  Flobeds sells all Talalay latex and you can custom design each side of the mattress with different layers of firmness.  There are several companies from The Mattress Underground that offer all latex and a few that offer all Talalay. The deciding factor was the opportunity to get different layers of firmness "forever" for 20 years (at least as long as they are in business). During the first 100 days, its free for the layer plus $75 shipping and total refund if you want to return the bed. The layer replacement cost increases in 5 year increments.  The top layer is a 2" "convoluted" (egg crate) layer (effective ILD is 14). The left side progresses with a 3" comfort layer of ILD 22, a 3" support layer of ILD 28 and a 3" support core of ILD 36. The right side progresses with a 3" comfort layer of ILD 22, a 3" support layer of ILD 32 and a lower support core of ILD 40".  You can play with the layers or switch layers to the other side to fine tune the feel and support.  Cost is $1,950, including shipping, which seems on the high end for this thread. Received an additional 5% off with a TheMattressUnderground discount. The downside is they ship you several boxes of the foam layers (similiar to bed-in-a-box) and you have to construct the mattress, which takes about 15-30 minutes.  Then you can reconfigure as you want. Neither of us like the memory foam feel so that is why we are going with latex again.  I worked with Dewey at Flobeds to fine tune the layers. 

There are several other companies we considered, including FoamSweetFoamSleeping OrganicSleepEZ and Arizona Premium Mattress. I think all of these companies, as well as FloBeds, has Youtube videos explaining their mattress construction.  I believe they were all under $2,000 for a custom layers for a queen (we ordered day after Memorial Day).  Some would only do a "dunlop" latex for the bottom 6" core layer(s).  A general comparison of dunlop and talalay is dunlop consistency is more dense and like "pound cake" with inconsistent air pockets in the foam while talalay is more springy and like "angel food" cake with very consistent air pockets.  For those of you that are interested, ILD is measurement of "softness" that measures how much weight will compress the foam 25%, where 10 is extremely soft and 40+ is very firm. If you want to reduce the cost even more you can order layers of foam (latex or memory foam) from some DIY foam companies. 
How are you liking your mattress after a few months?  

How are  you liking it?  My gf keeps pushing me to buy one, but Im leaning towards all latex.  
I have never slept deeper and more comfortable in my entire life. When I wake up....aboslutely no soreness, aching muscles....nada. 

Be forewarned. It does take a good 30-45 days to adjust to this kind of mattress. But I can say, I will never sleep on anything else again other than Tempur-Pedic. This particular mattress is cool as a cucumber (the coolest they make). Also having an adjustable....man. Being able to have your legs up to take off the fatigue of the day on your back...and your back also propped up while watching TV.

Heaven.

We just bought THIS Kirkland Stearns & Foster for $950 before taxes.

After researching SleepNumber, Latex, SleepLikeTheDead/MattressUnderground, etc., we ultimately decided that with the Costco return policy, it made a lot of sense to purchase our mattress through them.

DakotaMagnum said:
How are you liking your mattress after a few months?  
Yes we love it. I was surprised it took a good month to adjust to the new softness, even staying with all Latex.  My bursitus I experienced several months ago is totally gone. Technically we still have another couple of weeks to return it but we love it.

We got a Casper and are very happy with the purchase so far (almost 2 months in).

Consumer Reports makes it clear that you can't just go by brand.  They have done extensive testing on tons of mattresses, and they mention that even within the same brand quality can vary widely.

Can anyone here recommend any good mattress for my Graco Pack N’ Play? I have a comparison article here, but for me those comments make no sense. So I would be happy to hear your opinion.

We've had a Simmons Beautyrest for about the last 15 years and finally got a new mattress about a month ago.

After researching similar mattresses at Amazon, finally went with this one based on price and reviews. It checked all the boxes I was looking for.

After a month, I can say this mattress is incredible. I used to wake up multiple times per night and just figured that was my normal. I now routinely sleep straight through the night or wake up to turn maybe once.  Wake up feeling rested, no soreness, nothing. 

It was delivered within a few days, opened it up and let it expand for a couple days before using it. 

Can't recommend enough if looking for a mattress.

We've had a Simmons Beautyrest for about the last 15 years and finally got a new mattress about a month ago.

After researching similar mattresses at Amazon, finally went with this one based on price and reviews. It checked all the boxes I was looking for.

After a month, I can say this mattress is incredible. I used to wake up multiple times per night and just figured that was my normal. I now routinely sleep straight through the night or wake up to turn maybe once.  Wake up feeling rested, no soreness, nothing. 

It was delivered within a few days, opened it up and let it expand for a couple days before using it. 

Can't recommend enough if looking for a mattress.
Yeah, this was me a bunch of years ago... I had a Beautyrest for around 15 years, then bought a memory foam mattress off Amazon for 1/3 of the price... and it was a big improvement.  I'm 9 years in on the foam mattress and my wife and I both are still really happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread