Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Popcorn Eating Guy

What is the best mattress?

On 2/16/2019 at 10:29 PM, RC94 said:

I'm looking at the firm one for Tulo.  How do you like yours?

It has been great so far.  It sleeps cool.   At this point I would buy it again.

I wound up buying the Casper today.  I'll let you guys know how I like it after giving it some time.

• Like 1

Been sleeping in the Brooklyn Bedding Signature model, soft variation, for a few days now. It may be too soft as my lower back is a bit funny some mornings so I'm thinking my alignment isn't right. I contacted Dreamcloud to return that one and they talked me into trying a free 2 inch memory foam topper first. Received in the mail but haven't tried yet. Kind of stinky with the blue gel stuff sprayed on/embedded. Figure I would try the topper on both. 

Seems there are a TON of the Casper type knockoffs these days. 

Indigo Sleep seems MUCH cheaper than others, but reviews are good. 

https://indigosleep.com/

Can some mattress guy offer some insight as to the differences? Because that King mattress is tempting! 

Also considering Cocoon by Sealey and Nectar:

https://www.cocoonbysealy.com/

https://www.nectarsleep.com/

Edited by [icon]

On 2/18/2019 at 3:30 PM, RC94 said:

I wound up buying the Casper today.  I'll let you guys know how I like it after giving it some time.

I didn't like the Casper at all and wound up returning it.  It sleeps very hot and I woke up every night sweaty.  I bought the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora and it's much better than the Casper.  It's much cooler and it's been better for my back.

Edited by RC94
  • Like 1

Tried to search on here but nothing is popping up.

Has anyone bought a Marriott or Starwood mattress? How did it hold up?  I am on my 2nd tempurpedic in 4 years (had them replace the 1st one) and my back only hurts when I sleep in this bed.  When im on the road in hotels, my back feels much better.  Any experience with these beds?

On 6/6/2019 at 6:42 PM, RC94 said:

I didn't like the Casper at all and wound up returning it.  It sleeps very hot and I woke up every night sweaty.  I bought the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora and it's much better than the Casper.  It's much cooler and it's been better for my back.

Did you get the firm or the medium?  My wife and I have tried some in stores and seem to like the medium.  My back is really rough first thing in the morning and I am convinced it is the mattress, but I don't want to spend that much if its not going to help, at least a little.

Would pull the trigger today, for sure.

Edited by Caesar

3 hours ago, Caesar said:

Did you get the firm or the medium?  My wife and I have tried some in stores and seem to like the medium.  My back is really rough first thing in the morning and I am convinced it is the mattress, but I don't want to spend that much if its not going to help, at least a little.

Would pull the trigger today, for sure.

I got the firm.  I have a bad back too and the firm has helped me (talking about the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora).  If the medium is better for your back then go for it, but I agree that a good mattress that is right for your body can help with some people's back problems.  It has been much better than the Casper for my back.

15 hours ago, RC94 said:

I got the firm.  I have a bad back too and the firm has helped me (talking about the Brooklyn Bedding Aurora).  If the medium is better for your back then go for it, but I agree that a good mattress that is right for your body can help with some people's back problems.  It has been much better than the Casper for my back.

Thank you.  Looks like a 120 day trial, so I am going to give the medium a shot.  I think the mattress we have now is a firm and I just don't feel like I get the right joint support.  Some nights I wake up and I can't get back to sleep because I am in too much pain.

Man wish I would have checked here.  I just bought a Serta memory foam/gel mattress.  Great price.  Lower back has been a mess lately so hopefully this helps.

8 hours ago, Caesar said:

Thank you.  Looks like a 120 day trial, so I am going to give the medium a shot.  I think the mattress we have now is a firm and I just don't feel like I get the right joint support.  Some nights I wake up and I can't get back to sleep because I am in too much pain.

I hope it works out for you.  I had a problem with the price considering it's much more expensive than other good brands like Muse and Casper, but it's been worth it so far.  However, for the price it had better last for many years.

Bought a Purple mattress (just the basic version, not a typical FBG, just play one on a message board).  First night sleep was last night and I have to say I liked it.  It didn't take any adjustment from me coming from a traditional mattress and I fell asleep right away.  I'm a relatively light sleeper so I woke up a few times, but went right back to sleep without issues.

My back typically hurts in the morning when I get out of bed.  It still hurt this morning, but I'm guessing it will take time if a mattress is going to make any difference there.

Haven't tested fun time with the wife yet, that will be a different story I'm sure.

2 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Bought a Purple mattress (just the basic version, not a typical FBG, just play one on a message board).  First night sleep was last night and I have to say I liked it.  It didn't take any adjustment from me coming from a traditional mattress and I fell asleep right away.  I'm a relatively light sleeper so I woke up a few times, but went right back to sleep without issues.

My back typically hurts in the morning when I get out of bed.  It still hurt this morning, but I'm guessing it will take time if a mattress is going to make any difference there.

Haven't tested fun time with the wife yet, that will be a different story I'm sure.

Bought a Purple mattress a few months ago and I like it.  Sleep has definitely improved from the crappy old mattress.  It was a good mattress that wore out.  I don't remember what it was.  My back was sore in the mornings from the old mattress and the back pain went away after a couple of weeks on the Purple.   

We like stories.   

• Like 2

My Sealy memory foam king is on its last legs. Looking at something comparable preferably Sealy and firm. Anyone buy something similar recently?

Edited by Osaurus

On 11/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, DocHolliday said:

Bought a Purple mattress a few months ago and I like it.  Sleep has definitely improved from the crappy old mattress.  It was a good mattress that wore out.  I don't remember what it was.  My back was sore in the mornings from the old mattress and the back pain went away after a couple of weeks on the Purple.   

We like stories.   

Just a week in but still liking the purple mattress. What is funny is that at the end of the evening, instead of falling asleep downstairs watching TV, once I start getting tired I say "heck with this, I'm going to go lay on that new mattress."  Not sure yet if it is because it is truly comfortable, or the feeling you get when spending a bunch of money on something, wanting to get your money's worth.

• Like 1

Reviving this thread for recommendations, especially those of you who have tried:

Purple

Tuft and Needle

Nectar

Probably looking for something in that price range.  Looks like people like the Purple.

My biggest issue is I need a memory foam/latex/purple/whatever that doesn’t make me or the dogs slide off the edge if we’re not sleeping in the middle.  Wife tends to go to bed earlier and take up the majority of the bed so one of us usually ends up on the edge. Which leads to back problems if I have to keep shifting all night because the edge is soft and falls down. 

We have had a Restonic “medium firm” latex mattress for about 8 years and still love it. No rolling off the edge and don’t feel movement of other person when they switch positions or get in/off bed.  I think there are several brands of mattresses with some latex/memory foam/gel trying to take the advantages of each material. We both had back aches the first couple weeks getting use to it.

Edited by Phil Elliott
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:34 AM, Henry Ford said:

Reviving this thread for recommendations, especially those of you who have tried:

Purple

Tuft and Needle

Nectar

Probably looking for something in that price range.  Looks like people like the Purple.

My biggest issue is I need a memory foam/latex/purple/whatever that doesn’t make me or the dogs slide off the edge if we’re not sleeping in the middle.  Wife tends to go to bed earlier and take up the majority of the bed so one of us usually ends up on the edge. Which leads to back problems if I have to keep shifting all night because the edge is soft and falls down. 

I've been happy with my Tuft and Needle. It's about 5 years old now and still holding up well, IMO. Only thing I had to do is get a gel topper (el cheapo one from Walmart worked fine) as the plain mattress did tend to sleep a little "hot" for my tastes. The topper solved that perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 12:34 AM, Henry Ford said:

Purple

Tuft and Needle

Nectar

Have the purple and love it, just the basic model.  Have only had it for a couple of months though, so I can't vouch for longevity or coolness in the summer.  I don't think I have the same issue with sleeping on the edge, so I can't say if that has enough support to prevent your back issues.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a cheap memory foam pillow from Target, and the two have been life changing.  Though since it is cheap, it is already losing its shape.  Will definitely splurge on a nice memory foam pillow next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2019 at 9:10 AM, nirad3 said:

Man wish I would have checked here.  I just bought a Serta memory foam/gel mattress.  Great price.  Lower back has been a mess lately so hopefully this helps.

So far so good on this fairly inexpensive Serta.  I spend a LOT of time on this bed watching TV so it gets a lot of use.  

1 hour ago, nirad3 said:

So far so good on this fairly inexpensive Serta.  I spend a LOT of time on this bed watching TV so it gets a lot of use.  

If you spend a lot of time watching TV, I’d recommend an adjustable base. My wife typically heads to sleep earlier than me since she handles the earlier school. She loves it and my youngest son now watches movies in our bedroom. We got the Nectar plush at Mattress Warehouse. It was cheaper than online and they had decent bases that were on sale, also cheaper. All the premium moving stuff, but no massage. All said, very happy so far with the bases and mattress. I ended up getting a 10 year warranty on both bases for only $99 a piece (split king so basically two twin XLs with two bases). I have no idea how long it’ll last but most online were 1-3 year warranties.

I’m a side sleeper but starting to make the transition to back sleeper in the zero gravity mode with a little higher on the head. Seems to be helping my bad shoulder, wish I had it years ago before it got bad.

On 1/22/2020 at 12:37 PM, Bull Dozier said:

Have the purple and love it, just the basic model.  Have only had it for a couple of months though, so I can't vouch for longevity or coolness in the summer.  I don't think I have the same issue with sleeping on the edge, so I can't say if that has enough support to prevent your back issues.

A couple weeks ago, I bought a cheap memory foam pillow from Target, and the two have been life changing.  Though since it is cheap, it is already losing its shape.  Will definitely splurge on a nice memory foam pillow next time.

Went with a purple. Apparently they specifically address edge support with the mattress so I figure I’ll get it, if it sucks I’ll send it back.  Thanks to everyone for recommendations. 

• Like 1

I bought a mattress recently from sleepez.com 

Latex with adjustable base.  Great customer service chat for questions.  Super transparent...you get to select the number of layers, the materials, the firmness of each layer.  I thought a great price relative to what else I was seeing for Talalay latex

Went with iComfort after a lot of back and forth. It’s between plush and firm (medium) and I have to say it’s pretty awesome. Replaced the “box springs”/foundation too as one of them began to slump. Have had it since Thanksgiving and have been pretty happy. 

Edited by Osaurus

We are moving into a new home this summer so we are going to spring for a new king sized bed after getting 13 years out of our sleep number bed. We tried many different ones but we are honing in on the Tempur-Pedic Pro adapt medium firmness bed with the adjustable base. An amazing mattress we feel. I really can't believe how it completely conforms to your body. And the coolness of the materials make it also great.

Yes a pretty penny. But to me a fantastic investment.