What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (9 Viewers)

Chaka said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
I think I've spent 500 hours just chasing butterflies in Skyrim. Played it maybe half dozen times w different characters. Not finished once.
How's your skull collection coming along?
Skyrim needs a mod that lets you keep a vault of dragon skulls that you can dive into like Scrooge McDuck.

Good discussion points everyone. Thanks.

JWB makes a great point about how long people have been gaming. I used to PC game a ton when I was much younger with Ultima III & Ultima IV consuming far too much of my childhood then it was all about Tecmo Super Bowl doing the same during my adolescence, after that I stopped gaming for the most part (maybe some Aces of the Pacific then Caesar III, I really miss the Caesar games). I do remember that Castle Wolfenstein 3D was my first experience with a FPS and I found the movement so wonky it actually made me nauseous so I gave it up (it definitely fell far short of the original Wolfenstein on the Apple II which was a mind blowing game at the time).

I don't think I picked up anything in earnest until TES: Oblivion, which brought me back to gaming in general and from that point on I pretty much viewed the term FPS almost as exclusively a designation of perspective because pretty much everything I played had lots of character backstory and/or in-game growth so it all kind of seemed like role playing and the only thing that changed was perspective between first person (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Borderlands etc) and third person (ME, The Witcher etc).

Ah. To me FPS <> FP. There are plenty of games that are FP perspective but I would not constitute them as a FPS if that makes any sense :lol:

Ghost Recon for example is a 3rd person shooter

Sand said:
NCCommish said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
I think I've spent 500 hours just chasing butterflies in Skyrim. Played it maybe half dozen times w different characters. Not finished once.
I always get distracted and next thing I know I have spent all day on some side quest. But that is really part of the fun. Playing DA has been a reminder how open Skyrim is, no invisible fences. Or at least none I have found.
Enjoying DA, but finding doors that are just decoration and objects that can't be touched along with the invisible walls is (IMO) the biggest detractor here.

So waiting for Fallout 4 to scratch that open world itch.
That and the next Elder Scrolls along with Witcher 3 which looks to be huge.

Sand said:
NCCommish said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
I always get distracted and next thing I know I have spent all day on some side quest. But that is really part of the fun. Playing DA has been a reminder how open Skyrim is, no invisible fences. Or at least none I have found.
Enjoying DA, but finding doors that are just decoration and objects that can't be touched along with the invisible walls is (IMO) the biggest detractor here.

I hope Witcher 3 is really open world this time. Witcher 2 wasn't.

Sand said:
NCCommish said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
Agreed but it actually grew on me as I played. I found that with that game I could focus on playing rather then rummaging through barrels and crates for pocket lint and eating utensils. Coming from the Ultima Series growing up where everything on the screen can be manipulated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sand said:
NCCommish said:
NorvilleBarnes said:

All the developer video I have seen stresses how open it is supposed to be so I hope so.

Sand said:
NCCommish said:
NorvilleBarnes said:
Agreed but it actually grew on me as I played. I found that with that game I could focus on playing rather then rummaging through barrels and crates for pocket lint and eating utensils. Coming from the Ultima Series growing up where everything on the screen can be manipulated.
I really don't like not being able to climb or jump. I also like to actually travel the world not move from set piece to set piece. I am having fun with it but sometimes it does tick me off.

Sand said:
NCCommish said:
NorvilleBarnes said:

It wasn't Bethesda style open world but it was pretty large. I hope for more from TW3 but I played the heck out of TW2 and really enjoyed it.

I'm not that far into it, but I'm really enjoying Valient Hearts (the free PS4 game for March). The story is done really well. It's incredibly linear and the puzzles aren't difficult so far, but the story pulls you along. I have a feeling it's going to get pretty sad though.

I'm not that far into it, but I'm really enjoying Valient Hearts (the free PS4 game for March). The story is done really well. It's incredibly linear and the puzzles aren't difficult so far, but the story pulls you along. I have a feeling it's going to get pretty sad though.
Yep, I'm enjoying it too. Like Ivan said earlier, it'd be a good introductory history lesson to those not familiar with WWI.

I really hate when franchises change stuff for no reason. DA Origins had a nice easy to read screen for quests, loot, etc. In DA 2 they made it very small and used terrible colors. Very hard for me to read.

I really hate when franchises change stuff for no reason. DA Origins had a nice easy to read screen for quests, loot, etc. In DA 2 they made it very small and used terrible colors. Very hard for me to read.
Yea definitely a pet peeve. Mass effect did this in every version. Each interface was different than the previous version.

It wasn't Bethesda style open world but it was pretty large. I hope for more from TW3 but I played the heck out of TW2 and really enjoyed it.
It had invisible fences all over the place though. Hey I can walk over or through those plants...oh wait no I can't.

Hawks64 said:

It had invisible fences all over the place though. Hey I can walk over or through those plants...oh wait no I can't.
I get it but...so? It was still large and fun to play.

Skyrim has invisible fences, they're just much further out.

And IMO TW has the best told story in gaming.

I know I've mentioned this game a few times recently but the fact that I'm still playing an hour or two every night is a testament to what a cool little game this is.

If anybody was on the fence on buying Terraria, go ahead and buy it next time it's on sale. One of the best bangs for the buck ever at the $2.74 price tag I paid at the time.

It's essentially a more fleshed out 2D minecraft, but with bosses and much cooler enemies. It's sorta Metroid meets minecraft.

Hawks64 said:

I get it but...so? It was still large and fun to play.Skyrim has invisible fences, they're just much further out.

No argument from me. Best cutscenes I've ever seen.

I need some help from the dads.....

I have an 11 year old. He loves Minecraft. It's an addiction. I have shielded him from video games with any gore, sex, language and what not. He doesn't play co-op and is only allowed in Minecraft servers that I have researched and which have good administration to shut down any problems when it comes to kids. So, he lives in a video game bubble.

I have found out that the kids in class play the following video games (mind you, 11 year old. Maybe some are 12).... Assassin's Creed, GTA 4 and 5 (which is mindnumbingly effing stupid to me) Call of Duty, Halo, and probably one or two others that I am missing. I also am finding out that they are all loving online app games such as Five Nights at Freddie's, Portal, SCP Containment Breach and games such as that.

I'm not too happy or ready for my kid to play scary tension potential nightmare games. But he is starting to get the peer pressure of not playing what the other kids are playing. I had planned on letting him play the Wolfenstein game after I finished it but the damn thing has sex scenes in it that are Cinemax quality circa 1980's so that's out. Unless, and here is my question...

In any of these games or others of the genre, are there are any parental options to remove certain aspects? I can get over the language in Wolfenstein if I have to and deal with that but he isn't going to play it with the sex scenes in it. My choice. And the other games - I've never played AS, Halo and all of those except GTA. How bad are they for an 11 year old that has been this shielded?

I have an 11 year old. He loves Minecraft. It's an addiction. I have shielded him from video games with any gore, sex, language and what not. He doesn't play co-op and is only allowed in Minecraft servers that I have researched and which have good administration to shut down any problems when it comes to kids. So, he lives in a video game bubble.

I have found out that the kids in class play the following video games (mind you, 11 year old. Maybe some are 12).... Assassin's Creed, GTA 4 and 5 (which is mindnumbingly effing stupid to me) Call of Duty, Halo, and probably one or two others that I am missing. I also am finding out that they are all loving online app games such as Five Nights at Freddie's, Portal, SCP Containment Breach and games such as that.

I'm not too happy or ready for my kid to play scary tension potential nightmare games. But he is starting to get the peer pressure of not playing what the other kids are playing. I had planned on letting him play the Wolfenstein game after I finished it but the damn thing has sex scenes in it that are Cinemax quality circa 1980's so that's out. Unless, and here is my question...

In any of these games or others of the genre, are there are any parental options to remove certain aspects? I can get over the language in Wolfenstein if I have to and deal with that but he isn't going to play it with the sex scenes in it. My choice. And the other games - I've never played AS, Halo and all of those except GTA. How bad are they for an 11 year old that has been this shielded?
GTA - No

AC - Obviously there's going to be violence but the closest thing to a sex scene I can remember is one of them he kisses some woman.

Halo - This is the most "kid friendly" of the bunch you listed imo. It just seems different when you're killing aliens than stabbing a human in the back. Not much to have nightmares about here.

GTA - No

AC - Obviously there's going to be violence but the closest thing to a sex scene I can remember is one of them he kisses some woman.

Halo - This is the most "kid friendly" of the bunch you listed imo. It just seems different when you're killing aliens than stabbing a human in the back. Not much to have nightmares about here.
Seconded - Halo will be fine.

Hey Yankee.

My son is twelve. I let him play Assassin's Creed, Destiny, Shadow of Mordor, Skyrim. In general I don't let him go into multi-player. My son has never had a problem with nightmares so that hasn't been an issue. I shield him from games that I feel are just gratuitous violence. I would never let my kid play GTA, though I might let him play Halo (We have Playstation at our house.)

Five Nights At Freddy is fine and harmless light survival horror fun. You should feel fine with that and the Slenderman stuff.

Every kid is different. My boy is 10 but I have exposed him to Jaws, King Kong, the Alien Movies, LOTR etc...he loves it. I was exposed at 8 and 9 years old to all my dad's horror flicks etc. Hell my parents took me to Jaws in 1975 at the tender age of 5.

GTA?...no freaking way.

My kid plays Left For Dead 2 offline Co-Op with me. We have a blast. yes it has language...but it's nothing he does not hear on the ball field or in the school yard. I am not a bubble/Helicopter type parent. We play Diablo together. He loves it, and understands it is all fantasy and for fun. We played through Alien Isolation together (he would take control sometimes and then i would) He loved every second of it and got the crap scared out of him. He is begging me to play The Evil Within with him. I let him play through all the Dead Space games....again he had a blast. But I supervised his play through and guided him through some things. When it comes to horror and sci-fi I am far more lenient than gangster, crime and war. Sci-fi and horror are imagination and fantasy. Where as GTA, COD and the like are far more brutal in reality and gun play as opposed to space, zombie apocalypse games and horror. It's a fine line but one I am able to guide him through and have fun with him playing some of these games.

No online multi player at all. Everything is offline solo or with me on local co-op.

Use your best judgment. You know your kid better than all of us.

Agree with the others. GTA is a hell no. (Although I have let my kids ride around in the desert with a motorcycle but I was there and steered them away from any potential interactions.)

I should add that a lot of games allow for the blood or explicit language to be filtered.

I appreciate it. Yeah, GTA is a "aw hell no." And I will never budge from that. I'm not sure that game is suitable for any teenagers.

I will give Assassins Creed a try. I'm ok with violence in the sense that it is a game, and I agree with the idea that killing aliens is much easier to deal with than people, so maybe I will give Halo a shot as well. Part of my problem is that I haven't played any of these so I have no idea what I'm in for in terms of content for a kid.

As for Five Nights At Freddies, The game itself is fairly harmless although it does have scary moments. But the back story to it is horrid. I don't need to have that conversation with an 11 year old if he figures out what it is.

But thanks. I would fully admit that I am far too controlling on this stuff because, as someone said, I know my kid and what could be a problem, but I have probably been too conservative with it. I wasn't a huge fan of him playing Turbo Dismount but I gave into that because I have to admit, destroying a crash test dummy in slow motion is massively entertaining.

I think you're doing the right thing and only you know your kid, just he carful of being "too square" and creating a taboo situation which can have the exact opposite result of what you're trying to accomplish.

I appreciate it. Yeah, GTA is a "aw hell no." And I will never budge from that. I'm not sure that game is suitable for any teenagers.

I will give Assassins Creed a try. I'm ok with violence in the sense that it is a game, and I agree with the idea that killing aliens is much easier to deal with than people, so maybe I will give Halo a shot as well. Part of my problem is that I haven't played any of these so I have no idea what I'm in for in terms of content for a kid.

As for Five Nights At Freddies, The game itself is fairly harmless although it does have scary moments. But the back story to it is horrid. I don't need to have that conversation with an 11 year old if he figures out what it is.

But thanks. I would fully admit that I am far too controlling on this stuff because, as someone said, I know my kid and what could be a problem, but I have probably been too conservative with it. I wasn't a huge fan of him playing Turbo Dismount but I gave into that because I have to admit, destroying a crash test dummy in slow motion is massively entertaining.
On youtube look up the specific game, say Assassin Creed 2/3/4, and look for a "let's play" video. Its basically people filming their play through of the said game for an audience so then you could watch it in action to get a better feel for them.

Hawks64 said:

Skyrim had no fences in the world, Witcher did. Frustrating when I am trying to go through an area and have to follow a path instead of jumping over a fence or cut through the forest. So much so I stopped playing it. :shrug:

I'm pretty permissive. I let my kid play COD at that age and didn't worry about it too much.

GTA is a non-starter though. Not happening at age 11, and I silently judge parents who let that fly. My son and his buddies play GTAO pretty much constantly now, but they're all 16 and that's a lot more appropriate IMO.

My 11yr old plays AC, Evolution, Destiny, Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor, and TitanFall. He won't play GTA or any game like GTA.

I know this is going to make me that guy but I find it odd that the sex bothers so many people but the graphic violence gets a pass.

Unless it is misogynistic or rape (both forms of violence) then the sex seems like the least bothersome issue.

And the Portal games are awesome and, IIRC, great for all ages.

Hawks64 said:

Skyrim had no fences in the world, Witcher did. Frustrating when I am trying to go through an area and have to follow a path instead of jumping over a fence or cut through the forest. So much so I stopped playing it. :shrug:
I guess backtracking can be a PITA, it bothered me in DA 2 a bit although not really in TW2, but to stop playing a great game because of is a shame. Very few games deliver on the promise of your choices having an impact on the outcome and TW2 leads the genre in that regard IMO. I hope TW3 lives up to that but if it has a truly open world I think that will make it much tougher to accomplish.

I know this is going to make me that guy but I find it odd that the sex bothers so many people but the graphic violence gets a pass.

Unless it is misogynistic or rape (both forms of violence) then the sex seems like the least bothersome issue.

I've already been that guy in the other thread. I feel that either a) the kid already knows everything that's in the game anyway, or b) honestly what harm could playing any video game really cause, especially when weighed against having him being alienated from his peers by not having the good, popular games. I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Think about it in the context of movies. What movies are you allowing to watch? At that age, through my friends, I was just starting to be exposed to things like The Road Warrior, Poltergeist, American Werewolf in London, even raunchier stuff like Porky's. Of course the online element adds some unknown but the content of the games you mention are not dissimilar to those experiences.

I've already been that guy in the other thread. I feel that either a) the kid already knows everything that's in the game anyway, or b) honestly what harm could playing any video game really cause, especially when weighed against having him being alienated from his peers by not having the good, popular games. I'm in the minority with that opinion.
So you see no harm in either the sex or the violence? I am okay with that.

So you see no harm in either the sex or the violence? I am okay with that.
Obviously depends on the kid in question, but I truly believe that especially in the internet age, most kids in the age bracket in question already know or have seen the kind of stuff in the violent/sex games. And even if they haven't or only have been tangentially exposed to the stuff, I still trust that most parents have been able to communicate to their kids by that point the difference between real life and video games.

Not sure. My cousin exposed me to a bunch of horror movies when I was 10 or so.

I'm still scared of those stupid movies

For me it is the context of the way the violence is portrayed in GTA games. It's not appropriate for kids under 16, 17 years of age IMO. The glorification of pimps, hookers, killing cops, killing people to steal and rob, stealing cars, drugs etc.

No freaking way.

Different ball game from zapping aliens, and zombies. And beheading orcs.

Haven't been in this thread for awhile. What's everyone playing? Battlefield Hard line just came out. Anyone played and have an opinion yet?

Haven't been in this thread for awhile. What's everyone playing? Battlefield Hard line just came out. Anyone played and have an opinion yet?
MLB The Show 14 (soon 15 on the 31st)

Madden 15

NBA 2K15

Dying Light

Alien Isolation

Far Cry 4

That is my current rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread