What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (14 Viewers)

I'm curious.  Trying to decide between HZD and FC5 for the upcoming holiday week.  Anyone want to chime in with an opinion?  Thanks.
I just finished Horizon. Took me about 85 hours. I've been playing games since Atari but I play only a couple games a year now so I'm pretty selective. Loved Horizon. If you play it, when you get to around level 30, download and install Frozen Wild DLC. It blends in seamlessly, gives you access to some great weapons and armor and levels you up so you're pretty strong toward the end.

Okay so Fallout 4 (PC) mods...

I already installed the unofficial patch, one for better maps, a weather one and a few texture mods.

I'm thinking that micro managing settlements is going to get real old real quick. There is a Better Settlers mod and a Settlement Sims mod that get talked about a lot. Are those the ones to go with?

Any other essential gameplay mods? Not looking for God Mode (craftable ammo is on the table though) or super hardcore survival stuff, just stuff that enhances gameplay and won't crash the game.

Also, I hate companions, they are too much of a PITA charging I to combat or just getting in the way. Dogmeat is cool though and a nice bullet sponge. Is there anything that improves companions and doesn't require constant micromanaging them)

Last edited by a moderator:
Was pretty much obsessed with FC5 all weekend. So many great things about this game, but the one thing that I am not thrilled about are the weapons and leveling of char. I love how they reward perk points but it feels pretty rushed. I just finished the first zone and my perk tree is almost full, I have tons of money, purchased almost all the weapons etc. I wonder if they will be rolling out new perks and guns regularly or will the progression just come to a halt. 

Got the Show for my boys in their Easter basket this weekend.  Realized we never got '17, so they can't import their Road to the Show players.  :kicksrock:  

Think I am getting close to 200 hours in Fallout 4, still haven't made it to the Glowing Sea or the Institute yet. Man this game is huge... and playing only a few hours here and there once every few weeks makes for very slow progress.

Just finished the Vault 88 missions but I just kept most of the resources and didn't bother building a real vault, would take too much time. Finally got MacCready's storyline finished up so I can start on another companion and clear a few more items off my quest log.

Think I am getting close to 200 hours in Fallout 4, still haven't made it to the Glowing Sea or the Institute yet. Man this game is huge... and playing only a few hours here and there once every few weeks makes for very slow progress.

Just finished the Vault 88 missions but I just kept most of the resources and didn't bother building a real vault, would take too much time. Finally got MacCready's storyline finished up so I can start on another companion and clear a few more items off my quest log.
I just started with the Sim Settlements mod. I think it's going to make managing settlements significantly easier. 

Companions, other than Dogmeat, really cramp my style. Always triggering enemies  when I am trying to sneak and running through my firing angles when #### goes down. I really need to find a mod that makes controlling them easier.

I just started with the Sim Settlements mod. I think it's going to make managing settlements significantly easier. 

Companions, other than Dogmeat, really cramp my style. Always triggering enemies  when I am trying to sneak and running through my firing angles when #### goes down. I really need to find a mod that makes controlling them easier.
I started playing FO4 on PS4, and I'm in probably 25+ hours or so, but don't have much desire to play it right now. I think the whole settlements thing is a drag. I need to build beds for these losers? why is that my responsibility? ugh.

Maik Jeaunz said:
I started playing FO4 on PS4, and I'm in probably 25+ hours or so, but don't have much desire to play it right now. I think the whole settlements thing is a drag. I need to build beds for these losers? why is that my responsibility? ugh.
I did the bare minimum to advance the story. I had no interest in building a full town.

Maik Jeaunz said:

I did the bare minimum to advance the story. I had no interest in building a full town.
Yeah I can see how it would appeal to some but the execution of the settlement concept was terrible. Without the Sims Settlements mod I would have to start helping raiders destroy my settlements.

However, with the mod it is much better. Clearly Bethesda decided save design dollars and pass this element on to the modding community.

Okay so Fallout 4 (PC) mods...

I already installed the unofficial patch, one for better maps, a weather one and a few texture mods.

I'm thinking that micro managing settlements is going to get real old real quick. There is a Better Settlers mod and a Settlement Sims mod that get talked about a lot. Are those the ones to go with?

Any other essential gameplay mods? Not looking for God Mode (craftable ammo is on the table though) or super hardcore survival stuff, just stuff that enhances gameplay and won't crash the game.

Also, I hate companions, they are too much of a PITA charging I to combat or just getting in the way. Dogmeat is cool though and a nice bullet sponge. Is there anything that improves companions and doesn't require constant micromanaging them)
We have a whole, very long Fallout 4 thread if you didn't know.

I have not played those modes yet, but I have spent about 8 hours in the campaign - I love it.

It's different from 2/3/4 (3 and 4 were prettumuch the exact same game). The exploring is far more organic - no more climbing towers to unlock areas and fill the map with icons. This is much more Skyrim-like in that you explore the map to find things, and, once you leave the first small island, the entire map is open to you. It's really fun to walk/drive around and explore. Thankfully, there's no more hunting to craft items. The progression / perk system now relies on doing things to earn perk points. There are a ton of "challenges" that once you meet them, you get the amount of perk points they are worth (for example, kill 10 people with a pistol - that's two perk points.. Kill 40 with an assault rifle - two more. Ten stealth kills - there's more. Kill three deer - there's another. And so on. Each challenge is one-time only, so you can't keep earning them over and over.)  Basically, this encourages you to use all of the weapons, and at least experiment with different styles.

It looks like there are some cool sandbox things, like the arcade and user-made levels. I have not dived into that at all yet, but am looking forward to doing so. I also noticed a neat "reset outposts", which repopulates outposts if you want to re-take them. There are also real sidequests now, and some puzzle areas (prepper stashes) that are fun to do. 

They basically kept all of the good that you expect from Far Cry (combat is fun / it's a little goofy, but not overly so), but changed enough that this feels really fresh (much better than the 3 to 4 jump, which was minimal). AI can still be a bit dumb, but that's Far Cry. 

Bottom line: It's different enough from 3/4 to make it feel like a new game. I feel it's well worth $60, so if you were on the fence, I'd say go ahead and buy it.
Been playing it steadily since it came out. Really nice

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Was pretty much obsessed with FC5 all weekend. So many great things about this game, but the one thing that I am not thrilled about are the weapons and leveling of char. I love how they reward perk points but it feels pretty rushed. I just finished the first zone and my perk tree is almost full, I have tons of money, purchased almost all the weapons etc. I wonder if they will be rolling out new perks and guns regularly or will the progression just come to a halt. 
Have really been digging this game as well. First one in the series that I have played and am really enjoying it. I must be doing something wrong though because I'm getting close to the end of the first zone and I'm nowhere near full on perks, money or weapons.

Have really been digging this game as well. First one in the series that I have played and am really enjoying it. I must be doing something wrong though because I'm getting close to the end of the first zone and I'm nowhere near full on perks, money or weapons.
Are you doing all of the hideouts, side quests, fishing, and hunting?

if memory serves, you have to do some minimal stuff in the town, but after that you can ignore if you want.  You will miss out on one fairly big side quest I think.
I could live with that. The town building sounds dreadful to me. If it was required, then I'd know not to consider this one.

I could live with that. The town building sounds dreadful to me. If it was required, then I'd know not to consider this one.
I did the bare minimum my first (and second) playthroughs.  My current play through though I'm not really playing the main story and just kind of going wherever I want and doing whatever I want so I did build myself a cool base on an island.  It was pretty fun once I'd decided I wanted to do it.

Are you doing all of the hideouts, side quests, fishing, and hunting?
Turns out I wasn't quite as far as I thought, doing pretty well now. Also have barely fished, and most hunting consists of fighting off whatever random animal is trying to eat me for dinner. I tell you the people of Montana are apparently very brave to live in an area where every bear, wolf, wolverine, skunk, and eagle is out to kill some humans.

if memory serves, you have to do some minimal stuff in the town, but after that you can ignore if you want.  You will miss out on one fairly big side quest I think.
I think it also depends which faction questline you go down as well. There is one faction in particular I am thinking of where you have to build a particular something in multiple settlements in order to do one of the last quests in the game if you side with them and go to war with another faction. But even then, that would be pretty minimal building.

Minutemen questline you have to do the Castle mission to learn how to build mortar's and then later on if you are hostile with the BoS you have to build mortar's in some towns in order to blow up the Prdwyn.

@bigmarc27 @NewlyRetired @IvanKaramazov @Buddy Ball 2K3 @jwb 

How are people playing the remastered version of Dark Souls already? 

Also, after watching some reviews and gameplay, there seems to be a lot of debate whether it even looks better. A few people say the original PC version with mods looks better than the remastered version. 

Im still IN because I don’t mess with PvP on PCs because of the rampant cheating but I’m tempering my enthusiasm. 

:kicksrock:

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Titanfall 2 is on sale for $6 for xbox gold members. If you haven’t played that yet, it’s an absolute must buy just for the single player campaign alone. 

Also, after watching some reviews and gameplay, there seems to be a lot of debate whether it even looks better. A few people say the original PC version with mods looks better than the remastered version

Im still IN because I don’t mess with PvP on PCs because of the rampant cheating but I’m tempering my enthusiasm. 

That's actually pretty common, some of the modders do incredible graphics work and take full advantage of what the higher end cards can do.  Same was largely true on Skyrim from what I saw.  Console used to be a pretty big difference though, I don't mod anything on console yet, so I don't know if that's still the case or not.

One of the other big things with a remaster version is if they fixed any of the controls at all, lots of the older games feel pretty clunky compared to the later versions, and sometimes they can get those patched so the game plays a little better.

Also, after watching some reviews and gameplay, there seems to be a lot of debate whether it even looks better. A few people say the original PC version with mods looks better than the remastered version. 

The only videos I seem to be seeing are more or less demo videos and similar, not anything released. I also saw one or two that did highlight where it all looks better. But nobody's been to Blighttown yet, which is where the original had the most trouble.

I'm verymuch in. I'm sooo tempted to fire up the compatible version, but I'll wait, and instead spend time in Far Cry 5, with a little DSIII mixed in. In fact, I spent a few hours with III yesterday with a new knight toon. I forgot how much I hate those black, swirly monstrosities (whatever they are called). About the only enemy I don't just eagerly challenge. 

Anyone have plans for the remaster? Mine is to continue with my lightly armored sword mage toon, which I never finished - I got to Sens, then other stuff took my attention. I wanted to see how this build did in endgame - it proved to be the easiest run to Sens of any toon I ever had -  60 soul arrows are deadly, and the heavy soul arrows just wreck bigger stuff. 

Got my initial run planned - sprint down the New Londo docks, get the fire thigamabob (then die for certain), buy more soul arrows, get estus upgraded, run to blighttown for the crimson armor / better catalyst, maybe light that cave bonfire if I can get there without dying, then proceed as normal. 

The only videos I seem to be seeing are more or less demo videos and similar, not anything released. I also saw one or two that did highlight where it all looks better. But nobody's been to Blighttown yet, which is where the original had the most trouble.

I'm verymuch in. I'm sooo tempted to fire up the compatible version, but I'll wait, and instead spend time in Far Cry 5, with a little DSIII mixed in. In fact, I spent a few hours with III yesterday with a new knight toon. I forgot how much I hate those black, swirly monstrosities (whatever they are called). About the only enemy I don't just eagerly challenge. 

Anyone have plans for the remaster? Mine is to continue with my lightly armored sword mage toon, which I never finished - I got to Sens, then other stuff took my attention. I wanted to see how this build did in endgame - it proved to be the easiest run to Sens of any toon I ever had -  60 soul arrows are deadly, and the heavy soul arrows just wreck bigger stuff. 

Got my initial run planned - sprint down the New Londo docks, get the fire thigamabob (then die for certain), buy more soul arrows, get estus upgraded, run to blighttown for the crimson armor / better catalyst, maybe light that cave bonfire if I can get there without dying, then proceed as normal. 
DSIII

Quick response cause I gotta pick up my daughter but the hardest monsters for me are those you mentioned (the wraiths on the rooftop, right) and those stupid bug monsters with the staves in that swamp area with the giant moving trees. 

Theres another hard as hell monster I can’t think of atm. 

• Smile
DSIII

Quick response cause I gotta pick up my daughter but the hardest monsters for me are those you mentioned (the wraiths on the rooftop, right) and those stupid bug monsters with the staves in that swamp area with the giant moving trees. 

Theres another hard as hell monster I can’t think of atm. 
Yea, that's them. The swirly, twisting black mass of "where the heck do I hit it?"

Never did a sword mage so fill us in

Those maggot dog things suck too.

As do those #######s with the branding irons.

Oh, and those jerks who carry the baskets on their backs and butcher knives!
The Ghrus or whatever they’re called in the swamp were my least favorite.  Also any of the fast / jumpy enemies on the way to the Cathedral of the Deep or whatever it’s called. 

As as far as the DS1 remake. I’m not gonna stress it too hard.  If they keep a sustained 60 FPS, I’m not gonna worry about a few textures. 

It's been a while since I've played this one.  I'm incredibly impressed that you have that much of a well-developed early game plan.  I would need to read a wiki for that now, although I sort of had this game memorized at one point in my life. 

I have decided that I am going for a mage build.  In the past several games (DS2, DS3, Bloodborne), I've done the pure melee strength route.  Even my DS1 runs were mostly melee-oriented with varying degrees of pyromancy mixed in.  I want to do sorcery right off the bat this time.  I recall this as being the last Souls game before sorcery was nerfed into irrelevance.  It was OP in Demon's.  

• Smile
Never did a sword mage so fill us in
Let's see what I remember....

Start as a sorcerer, Buy 30 more soul arrow right away down in New Londo. Get a sword and shield (eventually having longsword and heater shield, but you won't get those right away). 

If you make a weapon "magic", it can scale with intelligence. I think those slugs down in blighttown drop the component to do this. The longsword worked well enough here. You level int, end, hp, and attunement. 

You are a little squishy without heavy armor, and you don't do as much melee damage as others, so it's important to be able to fast roll. You can soul arrow Havel to death almost right away if you run away enough to get his ring.

It was a fun build. You're fast and can sword/shield regular enemies, saving your soul arrows for more dangerous foes. It was the easiest time I ever had with bosses like Queelag (sp?) and the Gargoyles - the heavy soul arrows beat them up pretty good in between occasional slashes and dodges.

However, I did stop at Sen's Fortress, so I don't know how effective it is later on. 

Let's see what I remember....

Start as a sorcerer, Buy 30 more soul arrow right away down in New Londo. Get a sword and shield (eventually having longsword and heater shield, but you won't get those right away). 

If you make a weapon "magic", it can scale with intelligence. I think those slugs down in blighttown drop the component to do this. The longsword worked well enough here. You level int, end, hp, and attunement. 

You are a little squishy without heavy armor, and you don't do as much melee damage as others, so it's important to be able to fast roll. You can soul arrow Havel to death almost right away if you run away enough to get his ring.

It was a fun build. You're fast and can sword/shield regular enemies, saving your soul arrows for more dangerous foes. It was the easiest time I ever had with bosses like Queelag (sp?) and the Gargoyles - the heavy soul arrows beat them up pretty good in between occasional slashes and dodges.

However, I did stop at Sen's Fortress, so I don't know how effective it is later on. 
Sounds good. Will be a challenge since I am so use to having heavier armor

It's been a while since I've played this one.  I'm incredibly impressed that you have that much of a well-developed early game plan.  I would need to read a wiki for that now, although I sort of had this game memorized at one point in my life. 

I have decided that I am going for a mage build.  In the past several games (DS2, DS3, Bloodborne), I've done the pure melee strength route.  Even my DS1 runs were mostly melee-oriented with varying degrees of pyromancy mixed in.  I want to do sorcery right off the bat this time.  I recall this as being the last Souls game before sorcery was nerfed into irrelevance.  It was OP in Demon's.  
Heh heh, I actually wrote this down for a friend a few years ago to tell him how I started, so that's how I remembered it. 

I did read a few wikis to help when I started the character. I started thinking about what equipment made sense, and knew there was stuff you can grab pretty early if you are willing to just dash and die. It's kind of cheating, I suppose, but I guess that's part of knowing the game, too.

Users who are viewing this thread