Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
JMon348

Android apps

anyone have a good tablet note taking app?

I like Catch.
I use Evernote, basically so that I can look at my notes on other devices (namely, my PC.) Haven't really had much complaint.

If you are looking for a solution to those endless tabs on your key ring that you use to get extra benefits at grocery and convenience stores.

Key Ring

Works well and cleans up your key ring.

This is impressive

Not sure if this one has been mentioned..

This one is one of my new favorites. Turn your phone into a hotspot without rooting or paying for extra hotspot feature

foxfi

I'm using the stock PIN-code security to lock my phone. However, when plugged into a computer via USB, the "turn on USB storage" screen pops up and you can connect to the phone without using the PIN. Kind of defeats the purpose. Are there any apps or updates that fix this flaw?

There's no flaw here, it just related to the timeout setting. If the device is in a locked state (lock screen is active), the user won't be able to select the "turn on USB storage" option when connecting via USB. The issue here is that your lock screen is not active when you are connecting via USB. Set it to lock immediately and you won't ever have to worry about this.
:confused:This is not my experience. When the lock screen is active, I connect the cord and I can connect it to a PC without unlocking.

I'm using the stock PIN-code security to lock my phone. However, when plugged into a computer via USB, the "turn on USB storage" screen pops up and you can connect to the phone without using the PIN. Kind of defeats the purpose. Are there any apps or updates that fix this flaw?

There's no flaw here, it just related to the timeout setting. If the device is in a locked state (lock screen is active), the user won't be able to select the "turn on USB storage" option when connecting via USB. The issue here is that your lock screen is not active when you are connecting via USB. Set it to lock immediately and you won't ever have to worry about this.
Here's what's happening.Phone is locked. Hitting the power button brings up the "slide to unlock" screen, and if you slide, you get the keypad asking for the pin to unlock the phone. OK, that's normal. But if you plug in the USB--either with the keypad displayed, the "slide to unlock" screen displayed, or the phone screen timed out and off--you get the green android "turn on USB storage" screen. Hitting the button connects the phone to the PC, even thought you'd still need to enter the pin to use the phone otherwise. So whatever is "locked" on the phone is accessible through the PC.

Not sure if this one has been mentioned..

This one is one of my new favorites. Turn your phone into a hotspot without rooting or paying for extra hotspot feature

foxfi

Be careful with this. The phone companies watch for non-mobile user agent strings (at least, that is the easiest way) or huge data overages, and will automatically enable the hotspot feature and charge you for it.

I put this in the Demonoid thread, but Ill put it here because its not just for using demonoid. For those that download torrents via the uTorrent client on your PC, this app will be useful.

I just downloaded and installed the uTorrent Remote app on my Android phone, and turned on Remote Access option in uTorrent on my laptop. Now, I can go to a torrent site (I use Demonoid) in my mobile browser on my phone, search and find whatever I want, and when I click DOWNLOAD TORRENT, it automatically starts downloading with uTorrent on my laptop at home. The app also lets you manage all files in uTorrent on the remote PC, so you can see file progress, add or remove files, etc. Of course, your PC has to be turned on and uTorrent open in order to do this while youre not at home.

So, if Im out and about somewhere and someone recommends a movie, music, or whatever, I can use my phone to find it on Demonoid, click DOWNLOAD and it will be waiting for me on my laptop when I get home. Too cool.

According to the uTorrent Remote page, "Completed downloads can even be shifted directly back to your Android device for local playback.", but I havent been able to figure this out yet. I keep getting an error, I think its because theres a limited number of video formats that can be played on the phone. HOWEVER, you could use a Remote Desktop app to watch videos on your phone that are stored on your PC.

This next app is cool for those that hook their PC up to their TV to watch movies, etc.

Gmote remote control app:

Also downloaded Gmote to my phone, which turns my phone into a remote control that lets me control media files on my laptop from my phone via Wifi. So when my laptop is connected to my TV for watching movies, etc, I can now pause, rewind, start and stop those files from my couch instead of having to get up to use the laptop keyboard. Also works vice-versa, so i can play media files from my PC on my phone (all within Wifi range only).

It can also be used for music files, so you can control and play music on your PC or laptop from your phone.

Enjoy!

Edited by Wingnut

I haven't seen every post in this thread so I apologize if this was posted before.

What's the best app to make ringtones?

TIA

I haven't seen every post in this thread so I apologize if this was posted before.What's the best app to make ringtones?TIA

no idea if it is the best, but Ringdroid works just fine.

Is there a good app for group texting yet?TIAYICSLB

handcent :shrug:

:excited: So it displays just like Apple & BB? I have no idea WTF is going on now.

:confused:still can't replay to all on this

I've read that if you have Verizon there is an app called Verizon Messaging that allows for it. But apparently it's a really ugly, slow and not intuitive.

Not sure I follow, batch mode you pick who to send to, if you reply it replies to the group... Or so I thinkif not in the group thread hit batch mode option Edited by belljr

Handcent does not support reply-all on all phones.

Handcent does not support reply-all on all phones.

ahhhhhhh. :bag:

I think I got this group message thing working on Handcent, GoSMS Pro and the stock app on my GS3. I'm still beta testing because I'm not sure how it happened. FWIW I'm running ICS.

GoSMS - Settings > Advanced > Send Settings > Check "MMS Group Chat"

Handcent - Settings > Application Settings > Check "Thread group conversation" (all the way at the bottom....might have to check "Default Messaging application ALL" at the top as well)

Stock app - Not sure. I think one or a combination of the above did it.

GroupMe is the best for on running group chats. Awesome

screw that ####

screw that ####
added

I think I got this group message thing working on Handcent, GoSMS Pro and the stock app on my GS3. I'm still beta testing because I'm not sure how it happened. FWIW I'm running ICS.

GoSMS - Settings > Advanced > Send Settings > Check "MMS Group Chat"

Handcent - Settings > Application Settings > Check "Thread group conversation" (all the way at the bottom....might have to check "Default Messaging application ALL" at the top as well)

Stock app - Not sure. I think one or a combination of the above did it.

I never had trouble with handcent and that's not checked. I just use the batch mode. I'll set that and see if there is a difference.

PdanetBasically turns your phone into a modem and you can USB it, bt, or whatever to computer or other devicez

:goodposting: FlipBoard - News AggregatorAnd Google finally added an official Analytics app

I did that but I get an text, I have to download it, then it goes to the group text thread. What am I missing here.

I had GoSMS but never could figure that out. :wall:

I did that but I get an text, I have to download it, then it goes to the group text thread. What am I missing here.

Try going to the stock app settings. There should be an option for "MMS Auto-Retrieve" or something similar. That should at least eliminate having to hit the download button.

Also, let me know if you get 2 notifications with Handcent. I'm using GoSMS because I like the format better, but with the group text, I get one notification from St. Louis Bob and then another when it moves it to the group thread. I think that's a limitation because it is a 3rd party app as opposed to being handled by the OS.

Try going to the stock app settings. There should be an option for "MMS Auto-Retrieve" or something similar. That should at least eliminate having to hit the download button.

Also, let me know if you get 2 notifications with Handcent. I'm using GoSMS because I like the format better, but with the group text, I get one notification from St. Louis Bob and then another when it moves it to the group thread. I think that's a limitation because it is a 3rd party app as opposed to being handled by the OS.

Exactly what is happening. Trying the auto retrieve.

Disable the stock app

Disable the stock app
Do you do that by turning off auto retrieve? I don't see a way to actually disable it. :bag: Thanks.

Disable the stock app
Do you do that by turning off auto retrieve? I don't see a way to actually disable it. :bag: Thanks.
Not sure which phone/android you are using.

Manage Apps > Text Messaging > Disable. Then you need to enable all SMS/MMS in Handcent or whatever app you are using. That will remove it completely from being used

OR

Turn of Auot-retrieve and notifications.

I usually disable mine but that could affect other things but so far I haven't had an issue :shrug:

Edited by belljr

What's the best app for finding restaurants when you're out of town? Yelp? Trip Advisor? Something else?

What's the best app for finding restaurants when you're out of town? Yelp? Trip Advisor? Something else?

Yelp and UrbanDaddy are good.

Google maps not bad either.Wife used to like yellow pages

Google maps not bad either.
That's what I use

Yelp and UrbanDaddy are good.
Yelp is a piece of ####. Speaking as a restaurant operator I can pay Yelp to take down any negative reviews.

Just got a new android tablet.. have never had a smartphone (and am not going to have one anytime soon)...

at any rate, any good tablet specific apps?

or any good apps to take care of your machine if stolen?

or any games i should be looking into?

Also, I have an NES and SNES emulator installed, that provides many many free games :pickle:

i would like to install the NES emulator... and i have a lot of the .roms on my computerbut how do you control it without a controller?

Also, I have an NES and SNES emulator installed, that provides many many free games :pickle:

i would like to install the NES emulator... and i have a lot of the .roms on my computer

but how do you control it without a controller?

They all have touchscreen controls, but many also allow you to tether a bluetooth controller (PS3, Wii).

Just got a new android tablet.. have never had a smartphone (and am not going to have one anytime soon)...

at any rate, any good tablet specific apps?

Pulse is optimized really well for tablets. IMDb, Reader HD, Netflix, and the Verge are also nice. Kinda depends on what you're looking for.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to reply to all via text message? My iphone/BB friends are constantly sending group texts, and they all come to my inbox individually; so it renders me useless as I can take part in the conversation. I've tried handsent, goSMS, and the stock messaging app, and none of them work. I can't believe android is missing this basic funcitonality :brickwall:

So apparantly iOS has some proprietary function where if it's users use a certain app to send messages to a group, only the iphone users can see this. Since most of my friends have iphones, this is causing much aggrivation in my life. As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to give in...this is the biggest reason why. #### apple, but they have all the leverage

Has anyone been able to figure out how to reply to all via text message? My iphone/BB friends are constantly sending group texts, and they all come to my inbox individually; so it renders me useless as I can take part in the conversation. I've tried handsent, goSMS, and the stock messaging app, and none of them work. I can't believe android is missing this basic funcitonality :brickwall:

So apparantly iOS has some proprietary function where if it's users use a certain app to send messages to a group, only the iphone users can see this. Since most of my friends have iphones, this is causing much aggrivation in my life. As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to give in...this is the biggest reason why. #### apple, but they have all the leverage
I have had success with both goSMS and handcent. It isn't perfect but it does work.Edit, I see what your saying now. That sucks balls. Hope my gbs s don't migrate to that app Edited by Samuel L Bronkowitz

Apparently, theres a setting in GoSMSpro that you have to set to MMS to get it to do what youre looking for. Check out this link, it may help you:http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/147189-how-group-text.htmlIts a 3 page thread, and on page 3 the user "gilbralter" says "GoSMS does support this function. I use it all the time to participate in group text conversations with friends on iphones."I dont use GoSMS anymore so I cant go in the settings and see what theyre talking about, but maybe this will help you. Worth a look.eta: from another thread, Im not sure if this is the same thing as in the above link, but its osmething else to try:FYI all: I've been using GoSMS and it works fine.What you need to do:Open GoSms,Settings,Advanced,Send settings,Check the Group Chat option.Enjoy texting with Android and iPhone users in the same group thread. Best part, they see it in the same thread as well. So when they reply, you all see it together. Edited by Wingnut

Apparently, theres a setting in GoSMSpro that you have to set to MMS to get it to do what youre looking for. Check out this link, it may help you:http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/147189-how-group-text.htmlIts a 3 page thread, and on page 3 the user "gilbralter" says "GoSMS does support this function. I use it all the time to participate in group text conversations with friends on iphones."I dont use GoSMS anymore so I cant go in the settings and see what theyre talking about, but maybe this will help you. Worth a look.eta: from another thread, Im not sure if this is the same thing as in the above link, but its osmething else to try:FYI all: I've been using GoSMS and it works fine.What you need to do:Open GoSms,Settings,Advanced,Send settings,Check the Group Chat option.Enjoy texting with Android and iPhone users in the same group thread. Best part, they see it in the same thread as well. So when they reply, you all see it together.
:thumbup: Just dl'd it and it works

i would like to install the NES emulator... and i have a lot of the .roms on my computer

but how do you control it without a controller?

They all have touchscreen controls, but many also allow you to tether a bluetooth controller (PS3, Wii).
Just hooked up my PS3 to my Motorola Photon via Bluetooth (freaking...awesome!). What emulators would you recommend for someone using a PS3 controller?

Apparently, theres a setting in GoSMSpro that you have to set to MMS to get it to do what youre looking for. Check out this link, it may help you:http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt-forums/147189-how-group-text.htmlIts a 3 page thread, and on page 3 the user "gilbralter" says "GoSMS does support this function. I use it all the time to participate in group text conversations with friends on iphones."I dont use GoSMS anymore so I cant go in the settings and see what theyre talking about, but maybe this will help you. Worth a look.eta: from another thread, Im not sure if this is the same thing as in the above link, but its osmething else to try:FYI all: I've been using GoSMS and it works fine.What you need to do:Open GoSms,Settings,Advanced,Send settings,Check the Group Chat option.Enjoy texting with Android and iPhone users in the same group thread. Best part, they see it in the same thread as well. So when they reply, you all see it together.
This is talked about a bit above. Seems to work ok except the double notification. Still haven't figured that part out

This is talked about a bit above. Seems to work ok except the double notification. Still haven't figured that part out
Yeah, I haven't seen a work around for the double notification yet, but at least you've got the reply to all/group thread thing working for now. :thumbup: