What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (1 Viewer)

If you use Google Reader to manage your RSS feeds, get Press. It doesn't sound all that spectacular (it's just a news reader), and it's not free, so I was very reluctant to try it. But the reviews kept on saying how great it was, so I downloaded it and . . . what a huge difference it makes compared to either the official Google Reader app or to gReader, the two I'd tried before Press. It makes reading newsfeeds so easy and comfortable, even on a phone, that I no longer feel like I have to carry my tablet around with me everywhere so that I'll have reading material.
I have heard the same thing... but have so far refused to pay for it. Google Reader may be my most used app... is there that big of a difference?
For me there really is. It's hard to explain why. It doesn't really do anything that the other readers don't do. It's just that it's organized so well; it's extremely easy to navigate. (And the built-in browser makes it convenient to read blog posts that only show teasers in their RSS feeds — something I generally find very annoying, but it's less annoying with Press.)I used to organize my RSS feeds by subject, but I switched about a year ago to organizing them by priority rankings. I've got my top ten in one folder, my next ten in the next folder, etc. I like that better.

Before using Press, I would very rarely read RSS feeds on my phone or tablet. I usually read them on my desktop because it was so much easier. And while I typically read through my top ten every day, and through 11-20 more often than not, I'd only get to 21-30 about half the time, and it dropped off pretty quickly after that.

Now that I have Press, I've been reading my RSS feeds almost exclusively on my phone or tablet as opposed to my desktop, and I've been keeping up with all eight folders (each one having ten feeds) pretty much every day. I don't actually read all the articles from all eight folders; but I at least skim over the titles to see which ones I feel like reading and which I feel like skipping. Press makes that very convenient.

So for me, it's made a huge difference.
Interesting. I use Google Reader on my phone pretty heavily, more so than on tablets or computers. How much is Press?

The app Spare Phone + a Google voice account turns my tablet into a phone when on wifi.pretty great, especially for Google Voice's sweet rates for international calls... good for planning out of the country trips.Also I should be able to use it when out of the country to call back to the office and stuff

The app Spare Phone + a Google voice account turns my tablet into a phone when on wifi.pretty great, especially for Google Voice's sweet rates for international calls... good for planning out of the country trips.Also I should be able to use it when out of the country to call back to the office and stuff
Have you tried GrooVe IP? Can you compare it to Spare Phone?

Have you tried GrooVe IP? Can you compare it to Spare Phone?
i have not, but i shopped both when i was looking into it.they seem highly comparable. i doubt you can go wrong either way

Havent read through this thread but WAZE is amazing. Its a social Navigation app, alerts u to real time traffic and police cars pulled over on highways

You guys talking about Press.....have you tried Flipboard or Pulse as a news reader? Wondering if you prefer Press over those two?

Havent read through this thread but WAZE is amazing. Its a social Navigation app, alerts u to real time traffic and police cars pulled over on highways
Tell me how its better than the native nav app, which is pretty damn good. I dont speed, so where cops are is of no concern to me.

Tell me how its better than the native nav app, which is pretty damn good. I dont speed, so where cops are is of no concern to me.
I have just been using it for a few days but from reading up on it the potential for this app is enormous. I love the Google Navs as well. But Waze has 36 Million users and counting and is constantly updating when there is an accident or stuff. And they also have gas prices in your neighborhood from people posting right in that timeframe. Might not be as good a navigating tool as Google's but its seemingly a worthy app to have

You guys talking about Press.....have you tried Flipboard or Pulse as a news reader? Wondering if you prefer Press over those two?
Tried press and went back to flipboard. I was an avid pulse user but dumped that as soon as flipboard was available.
I use Flipboard too... but I use that for different stuff than I use Google Reader for. Do most people use flipboard as an RSS replacement app? I really like my RRS feed stuff to be simple.

I have just been using it for a few days but from reading up on it the potential for this app is enormous. I love the Google Navs as well. But Waze has 36 Million users and counting and is constantly updating when there is an accident or stuff. And they also have gas prices in your neighborhood from people posting right in that timeframe. Might not be as good a navigating tool as Google's but its seemingly a worthy app to have
Along with the native app I use inrix traffic (for traffic conditions only) which seems to be more "current" with traffic conditions than the native app. Gas buddy for gas prices.

Tried press and went back to flipboard. I was an avid pulse user but dumped that as soon as flipboard was available.
I use Flipboard too... but I use that for different stuff than I use Google Reader for. Do most people use flipboard as an RSS replacement app? I really like my RRS feed stuff to be simple.
Thats what I use it for because I love how flipboard looks when you turn the page :nerd:

Flipboard user for a few months and enjoy general news board, sports, technology, gaming and travel. Just added Bleacher Reporr, ESPN, MMA, FFToday, and Golf Digest. Any other boards you enjoy?

When I open the contacts app, I get this message:

Sorry! android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly. Anyone know how to fix?

Anyone have a good app to use while driving that can verbalize incoming emails/texts? One that uses voice recognition to send texts? Would prefer something that puts calls directly on speaker phone when I answer while driving.

I am currently using Dragon and just feel there has to be something better out there.

I need some help finding an audio adapter I can run through our home stereo.......would use the old school wires not HDMI, anyone have a link to a good one?

Just want to be able to run Pandora through the stereo.

I need some help finding an audio adapter I can run through our home stereo.......would use the old school wires not HDMI, anyone have a link to a good one?

I have no specific recommendations, but something like this should do the trick

I know this is pathetic but I havent used the blutooth on my phone....I assume I could still have it stream of WiFi from the house and when I enable Blutooth it connects to the stereo wireless?

I have yet to find a nice looking breaking news widget that only takes up 1 line, other than CNN. Problem with CNN is I think their breaking news updates are slow and many are unnecessary.

Anybody know of one? Or maybe tell me I'm doing it wrong with flipboard/pulse.

I don't want a news reader with a rich article experience. I just want a top stories / breaking news widget.

I know this is pathetic but I havent used the blutooth on my phone....I assume I could still have it stream of WiFi from the house and when I enable Blutooth it connects to the stereo wireless?
If your stereo is bluetooth enabled, then yes that's not a problem. You would just have to pair them. Once they're paired, make sure your phone is connected to your home WiFi, play Pandora and WALA

Anyone have a good app to use while driving that can verbalize incoming emails/texts? One that uses voice recognition to send texts? Would prefer something that puts calls directly on speaker phone when I answer while driving.I am currently using Dragon and just feel there has to be something better out there.
I've used VLingo for a while. I feel the same way though, seems there has got to be something better out.

Anyone have a good app to use while driving that can verbalize incoming emails/texts? One that uses voice recognition to send texts? Would prefer something that puts calls directly on speaker phone when I answer while driving.I am currently using Dragon and just feel there has to be something better out there.
Try Skivi. I have it on my phone, and I find it better than Dragon.

New Opera mobile is pretty slick. Almost complete redesign, and fast. It has a 'discover' page that you can swipe to that has news articles and such. Trying it out as the default browser.

fm transmitter plugged into earphone jack of phone will cost you 20 bucks or less

New Opera mobile is pretty slick. Almost complete redesign, and fast. It has a 'discover' page that you can swipe to that has news articles and such. Trying it out as the default browser.
Dolphin is the best IMO. Wish they'd make a pc version.

Try Skivi. I have it on my phone, and I find it better than Dragon.
Assistant is the name of the app we use for dictation where I work. It's also ready to open apps and do some other stuff on command.

Dragon stopped supporting blue tooth which for us was a major deal breaker.

BTW just so ya know Microsoft Office has some very impressive voice recognition features already built in. Google for more info. If you get used to it on your phone and want something on your PC, I'd roll with that

I have yet to find a nice looking breaking news widget that only takes up 1 line, other than CNN. Problem with CNN is I think their breaking news updates are slow and many are unnecessary.

Anybody know of one? Or maybe tell me I'm doing it wrong with flipboard/pulse.

I don't want a news reader with a rich article experience. I just want a top stories / breaking news widget.
I use APW via Google Reader to get Lifehacker's feed. It'll refresh very often if you don't change the settings-you might not need it to check every 10 seconds.

Maybe I should try this. Not all that impressed with Firefox.

drummer said:
Trying this launcher out, even when it was in Alpha:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.everything.launcher&hl=en

It's quite a bit different than the usual launchers. I dunno if it's a daily driver (that's up to the individual), but it's pretty cool.
I don't even understand what this is.

:bag:
It's kind of a whole different OS within Android, with the search bar leading you to apps, some which are linked, and others which you if you don't have installed can lead you to install, or not. If you watch the video, just searching for sushi leads you into a host of apps instead of links like in Google Now. For instance, I just did a voice search: "football". It then leads me to a page of links and apps, such as ESPN NFL, Pro-Football Reference, and team links in the form of icons. I press the Green Bay Packers icon, and it launches the mobile Packers page with links of news and such on that page. I searched Fantasy Football, yet it only gives me Yahoo, ESPN, Rotoworld links to the Play store apps. Fantasy football doesn't seem as baked in yet, but the search seems to be a great idea for app searches.

If you already have apps installed, they will be at the top of the page. When I searched for Miles Davis (the "What's on your mind?" bar at the top), it showed my Spotify, YouTube, and other media apps I have installed. I click on YouTube, and it launches the YouTube app with Miles Davis links. I launch an app that I don't have installed like Soundcloud, and it had Miles Davis links within that app.

I haven't tested is as a daily driver yet, but the launcher has a lot of possibility. I don't know how it is on resources and battery life (every device is different, and my device is customized from stock), but I still have it installed to toggle from my Nova Launcher. It's in Beta phase, so hopefully it get's enough traction to become a fully baked app like the Nova and Apex Launchers. Those who know how to toggle launchers should check this out. Even if you don't check it out anyway. It's free.

Last edited by a moderator:
drummer said:

It's quite a bit different than the usual launchers. I dunno if it's a daily driver (that's up to the individual), but it's pretty cool.
Tried this for a few hours and after I personalized everything (this took quite some time) I noticed a few things.

#1 - The novelty of it switching to what I am searching for wore off quickly

#2 - Slowed down my Galaxy Nexus

#3 - Ate my battery

drummer said:

Tried this for a few hours and after I personalized everything (this took quite some time) I noticed a few things.

#1 - The novelty of it switching to what I am searching for wore off quickly

#2 - Slowed down my Galaxy Nexus

#3 - Ate my battery
Yeah, that's why I don't have it as a daily driver, but I dig the concept. I dunno about how much it ate my battery, but it is data/wifi dependent.

Anyone know how I can attach an email to a calendar event date and have it stay attached even after I delete the email from my phone? (HTC One)

Copy /paste the text into the event description?
It's not so much about the email but the attachments. Floor plans, photos, etc. For some reason one of them showed a message "that email is no longer available on this phone" when I assigned it as a task but deleted the email. But a recent one still seems to be available even after I deleted the email from my phone. Maybe once the "save for xxx days" runs out, I'll lose it too. I also found that I can save pdf's in Google Notes that attach to the calendar, so I think I'm good now.

What's the best way to clean up the phone? Seems i have a lot of random crap that i don't know if i need.

Mostly com.google/Android/Motorola and moto... Files. Hesitant to delete too much, but don't think i need them.

Users who are viewing this thread