What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Android apps (7 Viewers)

Well, I'm gonna send this to MobileTechVideos, make sure the bootloader is unlocked after flash, buy an N5, and use this as a batphone. #### Sammy OTA's. Worse Android software ever.

Got a Droid Maxx and the camera is fine, what i really love is the video camera recording in slow-mo
I'd take a MotoX over anything Sammy.
I really like my Moto X, but there are days I miss my S3. Mainly because of being able to add in an SD card. But the Moto X is really a great phone.
That's the thing, I couldn't mount my SD card, even though my PC's and Mac recognize it. It's the software. Junk.

Got a Droid Maxx and the camera is fine, what i really love is the video camera recording in slow-mo
I'd take a MotoX over anything Sammy.
I really like my Moto X, but there are days I miss my S3. Mainly because of being able to add in an SD card. But the Moto X is really a great phone.
That's the thing, I couldn't mount my SD card, even though my PC's and Mac recognize it. It's the software. Junk.
That's weird. I never had a problem with my SD card. Maybe you have a bad card?

Smartphones my wife and I have owned:

-several blackberrys

-Original Galaxy S

-HTC Evo 3D

-Nexus 4

-Moto G

-Galaxy S 3

-Galaxy Note 2

Personally, I will probably stick with the Nexus line for the future. Potentially I could see myself getting an HTC and flashing ROMs. I will probably never get another Samsung. But my wife loves them. She's so used to Touchwiz (which I hate) she refuses to get anything else. From a hardware standpoint I feel like they lag behind HTC, and from a software standpoint I really hate their implementation of Android. It's better than FireOS I guess, but thats not saying much.

Bottom line, to each their own.

Me

-original iphone

-original HTC EVO

-Galaxy Note 2

Wife

-some crappy LG

-Droid RAZR

-Galaxy S5

All of the devices In have had have been the best at the time. The battery really started to suck on the HTC at the end, but OS wise it could do almost everything I needed it to. I would go back to HTC. The Samsungs are nice, and the size of the Note appeals to me. With my wife on Verizon, and her contract up, the S5 was a no brainer. I will probably get the Note 4 when it comes out at the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody upgrade fro htc one to htc one m8? I've had the One for only a year and do like the bigger screen on the M8. But finding it hard to justify the cost

Me

-original iphone

-original HTC EVO

-Galaxy Note 2

Wife

-some crappy LG

-Droid RAZR

-Galaxy S5

All of the devices In have had have been the best at the time. The battery really started to suck on the HTC at the end, but OS wise it could do almost everything I needed it to. I would go back to HTC. The Samsungs are nice, and the size of the Note appeals to me. With my wife on Verizon, and her contract up, the S5 was a no brainer. I will probably get the Note 4 when it comes out at the end of the year.
If you have the Note 2 and are still on touchwiz, I'd highly recommending flashing Beanstalk on it. Fantastic ROM that is very stable and smooth. I should keep your phone feeling fresh for a while...definitely did for me. There are CM mod apps in the app store that allow you to still do some stuff with th S-Pen, although not everything is there I don't think in that regard.

Thanks for the suggestion about flashing the ROM, but like the above poster I am a little unsure what people don't like about Touchwiz. I like the interface. I keep the front page (middle page) with clock/ weather widget & essential apps, then have the right & left page loaded with less frequently loaded apps.

I don't use many of the Samsung preloaded apps like svoice or any of the Samsung hubs. I use the spen every so often.

It still runs smooth to me, so I don't see a major need. I have always been skeptical about ROMs because then I would have to keep up to date on phone updates. I'm not sure how inconvenient that is, but it does everything now automatically.

So what is it about touchwiz people dont like?
Everything. All of the google apps replaced (like Mail instead of Gmail)... the cartoonishness... its slower... it takes up a ton of space... it is packed with features I don't want (heart monitor?).

I just want pure Android and then if I want to get fancy, I'll build out from that. I don't like something already fancy and not my taste that I have to pare down and then build back up from.

Everything. All of the google apps replaced (like Mail instead of Gmail)... the cartoonishness... its slower... it takes up a ton of space... it is packed with features I don't want (heart monitor?).I just want pure Android and then if I want to get fancy, I'll build out from that. I don't like something already fancy and not my taste that I have to pare down and then build back up from.
I'm confused. I have all the Google apps and like I said it feels like my Motorola. .. they both had bloat ware some i can disable at least

Everything. All of the google apps replaced (like Mail instead of Gmail)... the cartoonishness... its slower... it takes up a ton of space... it is packed with features I don't want (heart monitor?).I just want pure Android and then if I want to get fancy, I'll build out from that. I don't like something already fancy and not my taste that I have to pare down and then build back up from.
Only google app I really use is Maps. I like the email app and run my email from a couple accounts through that as it is nicec and clean and the gmail app sucks. I have the s3 and I see nothing cartoonist about it. I like to use just one screen for the most important apps and then just the apps button for everything else.

You are missing out not using Google services. What they have been doing with Google Now the past year has been really cool. Everything syncs and Google Now will give you reminders, drive times, appointments from Google Calendar or Google Keep, and much more.
Google Now is fantastic. It's really nice when you are flying somewhere and can look to see if your flight is on time or not. Gives you reminders on when you should leave for the airport, leave for dinner reservations, can show you tracking info on packages you bought. Really cool stuff.

Is Google Now still a battery/data hog? When I first enabled it on my S3 it seemed like my battery would drain in half the time.

Is Google Now still a battery/data hog? When I first enabled it on my S3 it seemed like my battery would drain in half the time.
Battery drain has gotten better. Every now and then, I see that it drains my battery, but for the most part, it has improved.

anybody upgrade fro htc one to htc one m8? I've had the One for only a year and do like the bigger screen on the M8. But finding it hard to justify the cost
I'm happy with my HTC one and have no plan to upgrade to the new one. Maybe in another year when my contract is up.

For those who LOL think you're above iOS with by buying a Sammy: they are the lesser of any Apple phone out there. Good luck with OTA's. You have the dumbest Android phone out there with a ton of bloat. Your device will be locked, dumbed down, and full of features that don't even make real use of the hardware. It's the worst software and firmware out there. It's junk, plain and simple. I'm never ever going to buy Samsung ever again. I can't even get my SD card to read with the latest OTA. Samsung is junk. LOL at those who still buy this ####.
:lol: rant much?
I've flashed so many ROM's for my GS3 that it would make a n00bs head spin. I've grown tired of doing it after a hard brick (which was due to I trying to do a hardware thing, not because of a ROM).
Maybe that has something to do with the problem you're having with your phone. :shrug:

Wow, the smugness of the "pure" Android crowd may be even worse than the smugness from Apple users.

I have a Nexus 7 and it actually really annoys me that I can't lay out my app drawer in the (significantly better) way that Touchwiz allows.

Also, :lmao: at the idea that touchwiz doesn't allow you to mount SD cards when one of the few phones that allows SD cards runs touchwiz and when everyone else here running touchwiz has had zero problems mounting their SD cards.

As far as the google stuff goes, is stopping those something new to the S5? I have an S3 and am running the pure gmail app, google calendar, google now, etc. Does the S5 block those or is this end of the world unsolvable problem simply the issue that you have to download those apps from the play store (and disable the preloaded ones) rather than them coming preloaded on your phone?

Yea, we're a few months behind on updates. Whoopdie-doo, as if every new update is some game breaking thing. Without looking, can you guys even name the new stuff in Kit Kat? How much of it is actually useful? I just looked through the list and the only useful stuff is all actually available to me on 4.3 on my S3. The #1 most useful thing most bloggers listed is the ability to do SMS from the google hangouts app, which I already do on 4.3 on my S3. Is the issue that I had to spend the 4 seconds to manually download the Hangouts update rather than it coming pre-loaded in the OS? Do freaking bloggers writing about this stuff even know what is unique to this amazing update?

You are missing out not using Google services. What they have been doing with Google Now the past year has been really cool. Everything syncs and Google Now will give you reminders, drive times, appointments from Google Calendar or Google Keep, and much more.
Google Now is fantastic. It's really nice when you are flying somewhere and can look to see if your flight is on time or not. Gives you reminders on when you should leave for the airport, leave for dinner reservations, can show you tracking info on packages you bought. Really cool stuff.
I disabled Google now on my phone a long time ago...can't stand getting constant reminders. I'm sure its good for what it is but its not for me.

I disabled Google now on my phone a long time ago...can't stand getting constant reminders. I'm sure its good for what it is but its not for me.
You crazy

Not a Google now fan.

My one super Samsung gripe...can't get rid of my magazine. I bring that crap up by accident many times a day

With touchwiz you don't really need a ton of apps on your homescreen, because with their app drawer option 2 you could have 300 apps on your phone and any one of them would be 3 clicks and 2 seconds away. I can't believe pure Android hasn't adopted that thing yet instead of the standard junk drawer.

With touchwiz you don't really need a ton of apps on your homescreen, because with their app drawer option 2 you could have 300 apps on your phone and any one of them would be 3 clicks and 2 seconds away. I can't believe pure Android hasn't adopted that thing yet instead of the standard junk drawer.
Folders? Am I missing something

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehvaqpolyn31on2/2014-04-18%2016.01.50.png

Say you want to open "Toggl". Simply tap App drawer -> T -> Toggl.

No trying to remember where you put the app, which folder it's in, which home screen it's on. No scrolling. 3 quick taps get you to any app on your entire phone. I only put my couple of super most used apps on my home screen (phone, gmail, chrome, hangouts) and use the rest for widgets. With apps so accessible there's no need to clutter it with a bunch of others.

That is not your home screen?

oh I see I don't have apps set as alphabetical list.

I thought they all did that

The key is the letters on the side which let you click tap to your app, and the vertical list with large names which makes your eyes find the app much faster than when you're scanning in both directions with them.

Wingnut said:

No trying to remember where you put the app, which folder it's in, which home screen it's on. No scrolling. 3 quick taps get you to any app on your entire phone. I only put my couple of super most used apps on my home screen (phone, gmail, chrome, hangouts) and use the rest for widgets. With apps so accessible there's no need to clutter it with a bunch of others.
Not a fan of app drawers. I prefer a swipe to left or right and tap, or a single tap from my home screen.
Which is great if you only use 6 apps. Quick, without looking, what page, area of the screen, and/or folder is your MFL '14 app in? How long did it take you to think of it? With the approach above you literally don't have to think for a millisecond where the app is located, which is great when you're not checking your email, opening chrome, or doing one of the other tasks you do 20 times a day.

The key is the letters on the side which let you click tap to your app, and the vertical list with large names which makes your eyes find the app much faster than when you're scanning in both directions with them.
Oh I see what you did now. List instead of grid. I kind of like that, but muscle memory for my most used apps makes it quicker for me to swipe right or left and tap a spot, or to tap a spot on my home screen. But I think I'll use the list view and give it a shot for when I need an app that's not on one of my home screens, which I rarely do.

Wingnut said:

Not a fan of app drawers. I prefer a swipe to left or right and tap, or a single tap from my home screen.
Which is great if you only use 6 apps. Quick, without looking, what page, area of the screen, and/or folder is your MFL '14 app in? How long did it take you to think of it? With the approach above you literally don't have to think for a millisecond where the app is located, which is great when you're not checking your email, opening chrome, or doing one of the other tasks you do 20 times a day.
Within my 3 home screens I have a total of 42 apps I use most often, with 6 open spaces at the moment. All are a swipe and tap at most, and I dont have to even think about it.But I do like the list view for apps for those times I need something that's not on one of my home screens.

:thumbup:

Within my 3 home screens I have a total of 42 apps I use most often, with 6 open spaces at the moment. All are a swipe and tap at most, and I dont have to even think about it.

But I do like the list view for apps for those times I need something that's not on one of my home screens.

:thumbup:
Yeah I can't keep up with that many on my home screens without sometimes having to pause and think "where did I put this app again"? Probably less useful to you if you can keep up with that many, though like you said it's still an awesome way to get to those rarely used apps.

I still do put my few very most used apps (the ones I'm using multiple times per hour like chrome, gmail, etc) on the home screen. But the other thing that I like about it is that it saves me space on my home screen to use for widgets that save time/screen looking in precarious situations, like driving. It allows me to have widgets with a full set of controls for both my music player and podcast right there ready to go. Swiping, scanning horizontally/vertically, waiting for an app to load, and then finding the play button in a music player is more than I generally want to be doing (and more than people probably should be doing) while driving. This way all I'm doing is hitting play.

I'm confused. I have all the Google apps and like I said it feels like my Motorola. .. they both had bloat ware some i can disable at least
They have duplicates though. Its stupid and annoying.

Wow, the smugness of the "pure" Android crowd may be even worse than the smugness from Apple users.

I have a Nexus 7 and it actually really annoys me that I can't lay out my app drawer in the (significantly better) way that Touchwiz allows.

Also, :lmao: at the idea that touchwiz doesn't allow you to mount SD cards when one of the few phones that allows SD cards runs touchwiz and when everyone else here running touchwiz has had zero problems mounting their SD cards.

As far as the google stuff goes, is stopping those something new to the S5? I have an S3 and am running the pure gmail app, google calendar, google now, etc. Does the S5 block those or is this end of the world unsolvable problem simply the issue that you have to download those apps from the play store (and disable the preloaded ones) rather than them coming preloaded on your phone?

Yea, we're a few months behind on updates. Whoopdie-doo, as if every new update is some game breaking thing. Without looking, can you guys even name the new stuff in Kit Kat? How much of it is actually useful? I just looked through the list and the only useful stuff is all actually available to me on 4.3 on my S3. The #1 most useful thing most bloggers listed is the ability to do SMS from the google hangouts app, which I already do on 4.3 on my S3. Is the issue that I had to spend the 4 seconds to manually download the Hangouts update rather than it coming pre-loaded in the OS? Do freaking bloggers writing about this stuff even know what is unique to this amazing update?
Smugness? Just cause I don't like touchwiz doesn't mean other people won't. My wife does. As I said earlier, "to each their own". Isn't that the opposite of smugness?

FYI, you can replace your app drawer if you don't like it in stock. You can replace almsot anything really (dialer, messaging, etc). Thats why I like pure Android best. You don't have to take out and then put in, you can just put in what you want.

FYI, I like Sense 5.0 a fair amount. Just don't like Touchwiz. Granted, the last time I used it was on the original Galaxy S. I'm sure its better now, but the taste remains foul in my mouth.

Fellas, you guy can set your screens up as you want, but for me, I just have widgets and folders on them and very very few apps. Don't treat your Android like an iPhone and litter your screen with apps.

My main page has Beautiful Widgets Pro clock/weather/alarm,calendar thing on it thats very useful. Then I use widgets for speed dials, twitter feed, facebook feed, scorecenter, usatoday and a couple others rotate in and out.

And I heart GoogleNow.

Oh, and I go to my app drawer like once a week. Folders rock.

Plus it frees up space to see your wallpaper. I've been using Musei for that and its pretty awesome. Currated art background, blurred a bit, but you can tap to focus if you want. Updates automatically (I have it set to once a day). So, everyday new wallpaper. You can set it up with other things besides art too, like 5000pix or various hot chick themes, etc.

My "home" page has 4 apps on it: Facebook, Twitter, theScore and Camera.

My other screen has 6 folders with apps and my Calendar widget. I use the Google Now Launcher so my far left hand screen is Google Now.

Fellas, you guy can set your screens up as you want, but for me, I just have widgets and folders on them and very very few apps. Don't treat your Android like an iPhone and litter your screen with apps.

My main page has Beautiful Widgets Pro clock/weather/alarm,calendar thing on it thats very useful. Then I use widgets for speed dials, twitter feed, facebook feed, scorecenter, usatoday and a couple others rotate in and out.

And I heart GoogleNow.
Curious to see a screenshot of your home screen.I like having my most used apps on my home screen(s), I don't see it as iPhone like at all.

Also, in your opinion, what is the advantage of having widgets for your twitter and FB feeds vs using the apps?

Ive posted a pic ofmy hoemscreen. Setup EXACTLY how I want it. Has apps on it, but i use them steadily thruout the day. So i want them there.

And I heart GoogleNow.
Curious to see a screenshot of your home screen.I like having my most used apps on my home screen(s), I don't see it as iPhone like at all.

Also, in your opinion, what is the advantage of having widgets for your twitter and FB feeds vs using the apps?
I don't have to open them. I almost never post and only want to browse what others have posted on occassion. I just flip to that screen and its right there ready for me to scroll through. Pretty convienent.

My Samsung is just fine... tia. Better than my Motorola
What version of Android are you on?
Don't know don't care. My camera is awesome...Nice crisp screen :shrug:
Yeah, that's what I mean. It's meant for those who don't care about Android.
:lol: ok. I have only owned android phones. Of all the phones and tablets I owned this phone is better than my Nexus 7. Playing roms and everything on here. Just because I don't choose to go all inerd doesn't mean I don't know how or not care about android.. :lmao: :lmao:
My post is for those like I who bought Sammy. I want my device to be right there with Kit Kat. I don't care about being Ok with 4.1 ICS, or just barely on Jelly Bean. It looks like you aren't as demanding as I. That's ok. Just know that you are right there with any iPhone owner, even lesser. If people like you demanded more, we'd all get it.
Dude...not everyone needs the latest and greatest. That doesn't make them less than anything. You want the newest Android, and that's cool...but to say someone 'doesnt care about Android' because they are fine with version 4.x or like Samsung or TouchWiz...what the hell does that even mean?Anyone who has an Android phone is getting a better experience than iOS IMO. Phone model doesn't matter. Android version doesn't matter. The UI is better, the customization is better, open source is better...

Do a few bong hits and mellow out a bit, you're gonna have an aneurism if you keep letting other peoples opinions get to you like this. Lol

Also, how about I buy you a Nexus? I feel like I'd be saving your life by putting something other than a Samsung in your hands...or maybe even someone else's, I can see you going postal at your local 7-11 while buying a soda when your Sammy slips out if your hands and breaks.

:scared:

Users who are viewing this thread