What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unemployment lowest since 2008 (2 Viewers)

Ok, use promise then. Is referring to a report that speculates that unemployment likely would remain beneath a certain level that it was(yet unkown) already above at the time of passage promising or swearing that his plan would prevent the unemployment from reaching that level? Yes or no?
so you are saying almost a TRILLION dollars was wasted on pure speculation??? oof..
I'm going to go ahead and take that as a no, thanks.
what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :thumbup: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, use promise then. Is referring to a report that speculates that unemployment likely would remain beneath a certain level that it was(yet unkown) already above at the time of passage promising or swearing that his plan would prevent the unemployment from reaching that level? Yes or no?
so you are saying almost a TRILLION dollars was wasted on pure speculation??? oof..
what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :sadbanana: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..
Shouldn't the real issue be what the short term effect on the economy has been, since that was the whole point of stimulus? As I posted a few posts up, most analysts that have looked at this estimate that the economy has between 1-2 million more jobs now than it would have in absence of the stimulus. No one disagrees that the current number is too high, but that in and of itself really doesn't speak the gross effectiveness of the stimulus. It speaks to the net effect against the economic conditions. You can look at the current unemployment numbers and also come to the conclusion that the stimulus was too small.

what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :sadbanana: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..
Shouldn't the real issue be what the short term effect on the economy has been, since that was the whole point of stimulus? As I posted a few posts up, most analysts that have looked at this estimate that the economy has between 1-2 million more jobs now than it would have in absence of the stimulus. No one disagrees that the current number is too high, but that in and of itself really doesn't speak the gross effectiveness of the stimulus. It speaks to the net effect against the economic conditions. You can look at the current unemployment numbers and also come to the conclusion that the stimulus was too small.
the great thing about this "saved job" nonsense, is there is absolutely no way to prove it one way or the other.. perfect political strategy..anyway, how'd that "stimulus" work with the unemployment numbers? :toilet:

YAY!! Let's speculate some more and throw more money away!!! Why not just send every citizen a check??

...The bottom line is that the CBO estimates that there are between 800K and 2.4M more jobs in the economy right now than there would have been without the stimulus and the private analytic firms that have looked at it (Moody's, IHS, and Marcoeconomic Advisors) put it between 1 and 1.7 million.
Can you divide that number by the cost of the stimulus? How much is that spent on a per job basis?

On my way to the airport now so I can't really give a full reply. But the analysis about the total jobs effect o the stimulus works both ways. It relatively easy to figure out where most of the direct spend has gone in terms of jobs. Where the dispute comes in would be over the secondary (multiplier) effects and the degree of crowding out that might have happened against the direct spending.

If you are arguing the stimulus had no gross effect on the economy because the unemployment as a percentage has been relatively flat then you are just wrong and the analysis of direct spending easily refutes that. If you are arguing that the effect was negative and that the recoveryand unemployment would be farther along with it then maybe you could post some analysis that supports that position?

what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :thumbup: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..
the great thing about this "saved job" nonsense, is there is absolutely no way to prove it one way or the other.. perfect political strategy..anyway, how'd that "stimulus" work with the unemployment numbers? :mellow:

...The bottom line is that the CBO estimates that there are between 800K and 2.4M more jobs in the economy right now than there would have been without the stimulus and the private analytic firms that have looked at it (Moody's, IHS, and Marcoeconomic Advisors) put it between 1 and 1.7 million.
Can you divide that number by the cost of the stimulus? How much is that spent on a per job basis?
Better yet........when the bill for the stimulus comes due and taxes have to be raised........will people acknowledge all the jobs that have been lost from the tax increases?It is easy to only talk about the benefits of the stimulus but not the costs. The fact is that when government spends money, it has to come from somewhere. For every dollar the government spends that is one less dollar spent in the private sector. Sometimes I think liberals fail to grasp that and think the money is coming out of thin air.

what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :shrug: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..
How many of those jobs are permanent? Stimulus is designed to be a shot in the arm to create a more shallow downturn and an incentive/boost for jobs growth. If the private sector doesn't pick up the ball and run with it the stimulus simply delayed the inevitable. Likewise, these handouts to the states are worthless without a boost in tax revenues to support them long-term.

I don't think we can call it a failure yet, but temporary jobs and public jobs aren't going to cut it given the length of this stagnation. No amount of stimulus is going to work unless Obama and Congress make peace with the private sector and rebuild confidence in our long-term outlook.

what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :lmao: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..
To me that 1-2 million number highlights what a collosal waste of money it was. It was supposed to "save or create" far more jobs than that, and it was even questionable whether 700 billion was worth the number of jobs it was supposed to create. Now that we see that it was only 1-2 million, it's really not even debatable that this was a huge waste. Like I said in another thread, you could have just erected a giant fan and used it to spray 20's randomly across the nation and it would have had a far better stimulus effect than this did. Random >>> government targeted.

How many of those jobs are permanent?

Stimulus is designed to be a shot in the arm to create a more shallow downturn and an incentive/boost for jobs growth. If the private sector doesn't pick up the ball and run with it the stimulus simply delayed the inevitable. Likewise, these handouts to the states are worthless without a boost in tax revenues to support them long-term.

I don't think we can call it a failure yet, but temporary jobs and public jobs aren't going to cut it given the length of this stagnation. No amount of stimulus is going to work unless Obama and Congress make peace with the private sector and rebuild confidence in our long-term outlook.
You're being far too generous here. Only 1-2 million jobs saved at that long term cost is enough to label this a complete and total failure.

Stimulus is designed to be a shot in the arm to create a more shallow downturn and an incentive/boost for jobs growth. If the private sector doesn't pick up the ball and run with it the stimulus simply delayed the inevitable. Likewise, these handouts to the states are worthless without a boost in tax revenues to support them long-term.

You're being far too generous here. Only 1-2 million jobs saved at that long term cost is enough to label this a complete and total failure.
:blackdot: I'd really like to see a list of these "saved jobs".. surely there has to be a list somewhere, right? otherwise, how are they counted?

:blackdot: I'd really like to see a list of these "saved jobs".. surely there has to be a list somewhere, right? otherwise, how are they counted?
The only analysis I've seen was the one that Zandi put together. Much like the analysis he did that was used to build a case for the stimulus in the first place, it's based off of economic models and just a guess. The important thing here is that it's FAR less than the guess he made before the stimulus, which the Democrats used to bolster their case in the first place. It was spun up as something else, but it was pretty much an admission of failure if you look at the before and after guesses.

Better yet........when the bill for the stimulus comes due and taxes have to be raised........will people acknowledge all the jobs that have been lost from the tax increases?It is easy to only talk about the benefits of the stimulus but not the costs. The fact is that when government spends money, it has to come from somewhere. For every dollar the government spends that is one less dollar spent in the private sector. Sometimes I think liberals fail to grasp that and think the money is coming out of thin air.
:thumbup: :shrug: :goodposting: Obama #####es about bank lending, yet he's issuing $1.4 Trillion in new bonds each year in competition for the bank's investment dollars!

:thumbup: I'd really like to see a list of these "saved jobs".. surely there has to be a list somewhere, right? otherwise, how are they counted?
The only analysis I've seen was the one that Zandi put together. Much like the analysis he did that was used to build a case for the stimulus in the first place, it's based off of economic models and just a guess. The important thing here is that it's FAR less than the guess he made before the stimulus, which the Democrats used to bolster their case in the first place. It was spun up as something else, but it was pretty much an admission of failure if you look at the before and after guesses.
the fact that we spend a trillion dollars on speculation and guesses is unbelievable.. :shrug:

What the country needs is something new and innovative. Something where the US takes the lead on and becomes the world leader in. All the stimulus money should have been used to incentivise creation of a serious alternative energy program. We are already dropping the ball on it and China will own that market too.

What the country needs is something new and innovative. Something where the US takes the lead on and becomes the world leader in. All the stimulus money should have been used to incentivise creation of a serious alternative energy program. We are already dropping the ball on it and China will own that market too.
Alternative energy isn't new or innovative. It's a pretty old technology, and all they're doing right now is tinkering with it. How about they come up with something really new rather than pushing technologies we already know can't compete economically with what's out there. Make a fusion reactor - that's innovative. Or colonize the moon or mars - that's new and innovative too_Of course, when Bush tried to restart the star wars program or work towards landing men on mars, true innovation, all you lefties cried that it wasn't worth the money.

If we want to do that, we should offer a $1 billion reward to the first 4 companies that can demonstrate that they can power a moderate sized town (say 50k-100k) at prices competitive with long-term fossil fuel costs. With a guaranteed potential return, you'll see all kinds of venture and private capital attack the problem. Our problem today is that there's the risk that the price of oil will fall to $10/bbl and render your project temporarily not economical. I'd much rater see us invest in winners rather than throwing billions down rat holes through some government employee trying to pick winners.

Better yet........when the bill for the stimulus comes due and taxes have to be raised........will people acknowledge all the jobs that have been lost from the tax increases?
Sure, when the bill that is twice as high comes from the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts comes due will you people acknowledge the same?Oh wait, it has come due.ETA: I'll also acknowledge all the job loses that resulted from the taxes being raised from 1982 through 1993 or so_Oh wait, employment pretty steadily improved after each of those.

Better yet........when the bill for the stimulus comes due and taxes have to be raised........will people acknowledge all the jobs that have been lost from the tax increases?
Sure, when the bill that is twice as high comes from the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts comes due will you people acknowledge the same?Oh, wait it has come due.
Apparantly is hasn't come due. The current administration can still print trillions out of thin air.

Keeping tax cuts beneficial in short term, harmful over long term, CBO says

The director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said on Thursday that permanently extending tax cuts put in place under President George W. Bush would provide a "considerable" economic boost over the next several years but would result in substantial increases in the federal deficit, placing the country in a precarious fiscal situation by 2020.

In offering this assessment, Douglas Elmendorf underscored the difficult choice facing lawmakers as they debate whether to extend any or all of the tax breaks, which are scheduled to expire at the end of the year.

The CBO's analysis was part of a broader report released Thursday in which the agency projected that the federal government's budget deficit for this year would be $1.34 trillion. The figure is slightly below last year's total, but the CBO warned that policymakers face "daunting" challenges in the years ahead in trying to return the country to fiscal sustainability.

Concerns about the federal deficit have been figuring prominently in congressional debates over whether to spend more money on programs to stimulate the economy and to help the unemployed, as well as over the Bush-era tax cuts.

The CBO examined the impact if most of those cuts are extended. This scenario assumed that the breaks for higher-income taxpayers would expire.

"Under that . . . scenario, economic growth would be stronger next year; unemployment would be lower next year," Elmendorf said. But he added that "over time, that extra borrowing -- and it's a good deal of extra borrowing -- would have negative consequences on the economy."

Republicans and many representatives of business have pushed for a permanent extension of all the tax cuts, arguing this would jump-start economic growth. They warn that allowing taxes to rise could stifle the recovery.

The Obama administration and Democratic leaders in Congress are seeking to extend tax cuts for Americans earning less than $250,000 a year, while letting expire some of those for wealthier individuals. Democrats say this would help stimulate the economy and cost the government less than if all cuts were extended.

The CBO's baseline scenario assumes that the Bush-era tax breaks will expire, as current law provides. In that case, next year's deficit would fall to $1.07 trillion, or 7 percent of the country's total economic output, or gross domestic product, according to agency estimates. By 2012, the deficit would shrink to $665 billion, or 4.2 percent of GDP.

Agency analysts also projected that public debt would rise from 53 percent of GDP last year to almost 70 percent of GDP by 2020, a figure unmatched since the 1950s.

"It is an extraordinarily high level of debt by the experience of this country over the past 65 years," Elmendorf said. "Of course, it is also an extraordinarily difficult economic situation in which we find ourselves."

President Obama created a bipartisan commission this year to address the nation's soaring debt. Members are considering a wide range of measures, from cuts in Medicare and Social Security to reform of the tax system. Obama has asked the group to make recommendations by Dec. 1.

On a positive note, the CBO lowered by $50 billion the estimated cost of the government's bank bailout program, known as the Troubled Assets Relief Program. The CBO said the change was in part due to improved market conditions and a provision in the recently approved financial overhaul bill that reduced the program's spending authority.

Sure, when the bill that is twice as high comes from the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts comes due will you people acknowledge the same?Oh, wait it has come due.
Apparantly is hasn't come due. The current administration can still print trillions out of thin air.
What do you think is the source of these deficits? I missed all but two, soon to be possibly three bills that added to spending since 1/20/2009? Those add up to between 1 and 2 trillion depending on who you trust over the next decade. I think we would all be happy if the deficits the next decade were just a trillion or two.

The director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said on Thursday that permanently extending tax cuts put in place under President George W. Bush would provide a "considerable" economic boost over the next several years but would result in substantial increases in the federal deficit, placing the country in a precarious fiscal situation by 2020.

In offering this assessment, Douglas Elmendorf underscored the difficult choice facing lawmakers as they debate whether to extend any or all of the tax breaks, which are scheduled to expire at the end of the year.

The CBO's analysis was part of a broader report released Thursday in which the agency projected that the federal government's budget deficit for this year would be $1.34 trillion. The figure is slightly below last year's total, but the CBO warned that policymakers face "daunting" challenges in the years ahead in trying to return the country to fiscal sustainability.

Concerns about the federal deficit have been figuring prominently in congressional debates over whether to spend more money on programs to stimulate the economy and to help the unemployed, as well as over the Bush-era tax cuts.

The CBO examined the impact if most of those cuts are extended. This scenario assumed that the breaks for higher-income taxpayers would expire.

"Under that . . . scenario, economic growth would be stronger next year; unemployment would be lower next year," Elmendorf said. But he added that "over time, that extra borrowing -- and it's a good deal of extra borrowing -- would have negative consequences on the economy."

Republicans and many representatives of business have pushed for a permanent extension of all the tax cuts, arguing this would jump-start economic growth. They warn that allowing taxes to rise could stifle the recovery.

The Obama administration and Democratic leaders in Congress are seeking to extend tax cuts for Americans earning less than $250,000 a year, while letting expire some of those for wealthier individuals. Democrats say this would help stimulate the economy and cost the government less than if all cuts were extended.

The CBO's baseline scenario assumes that the Bush-era tax breaks will expire, as current law provides. In that case, next year's deficit would fall to $1.07 trillion, or 7 percent of the country's total economic output, or gross domestic product, according to agency estimates. By 2012, the deficit would shrink to $665 billion, or 4.2 percent of GDP.

Agency analysts also projected that public debt would rise from 53 percent of GDP last year to almost 70 percent of GDP by 2020, a figure unmatched since the 1950s.

"It is an extraordinarily high level of debt by the experience of this country over the past 65 years," Elmendorf said. "Of course, it is also an extraordinarily difficult economic situation in which we find ourselves."

President Obama created a bipartisan commission this year to address the nation's soaring debt. Members are considering a wide range of measures, from cuts in Medicare and Social Security to reform of the tax system. Obama has asked the group to make recommendations by Dec. 1.

On a positive note, the CBO lowered by $50 billion the estimated cost of the government's bank bailout program, known as the Troubled Assets Relief Program. The CBO said the change was in part due to improved market conditions and a provision in the recently approved financial overhaul bill that reduced the program's spending authority.
Same thing with the stimulus. And most people are fine with these expiring. Problem is, it doesn't make any real difference when Obama and clan print trillions out of thin air and keep increasing the size of the federal government. Are you serious about balancing the budget, or is this just about advancing the democrat agenda? It's pretty clear from the stimulus that any money that feeds through the federal government is targeted poorly and wasted to some extent.

getting back to the thread topic, will letting these tax cuts expire help or hurt unemployment?

What do you think is the source of these deficits? I missed all but two, soon to be possibly three bills that added to spending since 1/20/2009? Those add up to between 1 and 2 trillion depending on who you trust over the next decade. I think we would all be happy if the deficits the next decade were just a trillion or two.
Between the time the federal budget for 2010 and 2011 came out, Obama and clan had added 1.7 trillion in new spending over the next decade. That's from his own budget. And the stimulus was already accounted for in the 2010 budget. The tax cuts will make no difference when things grow at this rate.

And even if the tax cuts don't have as much of an effect on jobs as the money "should", neither did the stimulus. At least you're letting people keep money they rightfully earned in the case of the former.

And as I have stated in other threads, I'm fine with the Bush tax cuts expiring. I'd be fine with taxing even more beyond that. If it were part of a comprehensive plan to balance the budget that included spending cuts. Taxation is at historically low levels, spending is at historically high levels, it's pretty clear that both need to happen here. If you're not for both of these, you're simply not serious about the budget and are just trying to advance an agenda.

And no, we can't do that right now. FDR tried to raise taxes and cut spending in 37 or 38 to balance the budget and had pretty terrible results. But we can always put some sort of plans in effect for 5 years down the line, much like Obama's healthcare deal.

Alternative energy isn't new or innovative. It's a pretty old technology, and all they're doing right now is tinkering with it. How about they come up with something really new rather than pushing technologies we already know can't compete economically with what's out there. Make a fusion reactor - that's innovative. Or colonize the moon or mars - that's new and innovative too_Of course, when Bush tried to restart the star wars program or work towards landing men on mars, true innovation, all you lefties cried that it wasn't worth the money.
:goodposting: lemming.

I'd really like to see a list of these "saved jobs".. surely there has to be a list somewhere, right? otherwise, how are they counted?
It's not about "saved jobs", it's about saved lives!
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of workers who died on the job fell by 17 percent last year to the lowest level in nearly two decades, as workers logged fewer hours during the recession, the Labor Department said Thursday.

The 4,340 workplace fatalities recorded in 2009 was the smallest total since the Bureau of Labor Statistics first began tracking the data in 1992. It's the second straight year that fatal work injuries have reached a historic low, following a 10 percent drop in 2008.

High unemployment and layoffs in more dangerous industries like construction played a major role in the decrease, the agency said. The construction unemployment rate is 17.3 percent, nearly double the overall jobless rate of 9.5 percent.

:lmao: lemming.
We want innovation! Oh, not that innovation.

I'd really like to see a list of these "saved jobs".. surely there has to be a list somewhere, right? otherwise, how are they counted?
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The number of workers who died on the job fell by 17 percent last year to the lowest level in nearly two decades, as workers logged fewer hours during the recession, the Labor Department said Thursday.

The 4,340 workplace fatalities recorded in 2009 was the smallest total since the Bureau of Labor Statistics first began tracking the data in 1992. It's the second straight year that fatal work injuries have reached a historic low, following a 10 percent drop in 2008.

High unemployment and layoffs in more dangerous industries like construction played a major role in the decrease, the agency said. The construction unemployment rate is 17.3 percent, nearly double the overall jobless rate of 9.5 percent.
well, he's got that going for him :lmao:

:confused:

Between the time the federal budget for 2010 and 2011 came out, Obama and clan had added 1.7 trillion in new spending over the next decade. That's from his own budget. And the stimulus was already accounted for in the 2010 budget. The tax cuts will make no difference when things grow at this rate.
Didn't I say that Obama would be responsible for a trillion or two of the deficit depending on who you trust over the next decade? Now how relevant is that compared to 10 to 20 trillion of debt that will be run up during that time? Debt that is a direct result of the economy, the aging population that is retiring earlier than planned because of the economy, and eventually though the economy is saving us now interest on the debt. And of that 1.7 trillion, how much of that was a response to the economy?And since when did you guys count tax expenditures as spending? Christ you are acting like the money belonged to the government and not those who earned it.

And as I have stated in other threads, I'm fine with the Bush tax cuts expiring. I'd be fine with taxing even more beyond that. If it were part of a comprehensive plan to balance the budget that included spending cuts. Taxation is at historically low levels, spending is at historically high levels, it's pretty clear that both need to happen here. If you're not for both of these, you're simply not serious about the budget and are just trying to advance an agenda.
For at least 60 years the only time spending has been cut or more accurately its growth contained (as opposed to shifted around) has been during times of higher taxes. Something I have been posting for years was explained to the senate about a month or two ago - Consumers of government need to appreciate the cost of government or they will just demand more. Only when taxpayers are paying the full freight (or at least close to it) do they demand actual rather than merely rhetorical spending cuts. It is those saying "Why can't we ever cut spending first" that aren't being at least realistic.

For at least 60 years the only time spending has been cut or more accurately its growth contained (as opposed to shifted around) has been during times of higher taxes. Something I have been posting for years was explained to the senate about a month or two ago - Consumers of government need to appreciate the cost of government or they will just demand more. Only when taxpayers are paying the full freight (or at least close to it) do they demand actual rather than merely rhetorical spending cuts. It is those saying "Why can't we ever cut spending first" that aren't being at least realistic.
I didn't say first, I said in conjunction. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Democrats aren't proposing that all of the consumers of these services pay extra taxes. Just a very small percentage of them.

Didn't I say that Obama would be responsible for a trillion or two of the deficit depending on who you trust over the next decade? Now how relevant is that compared to 10 to 20 trillion of debt that will be run up during that time? Debt that is a direct result of the economy, the aging population that is retiring earlier than planned because of the economy, and eventually though the economy is saving us now interest on the debt. And of that 1.7 trillion, how much of that was a response to the economy?And since when did you guys count tax expenditures as spending? Christ you are acting like the money belonged to the government and not those who earned it.
I'm not counting tax expenditures as spending. I'm counting outlays as spending. There is 1.7 trillion in additional outlays between the budgets. And I'd say very little of this was in response to the economy. Those stimulus outlays/tax cuts were already planned when the 2010 budget rolled out. Most of it probably comes from the health care plan that they lied about and said wouldn't cost anything.

I'm not counting tax expenditures as spending. I'm counting outlays as spending. There is 1.7 trillion in additional outlays between the budgets. And I'd say very little of this was in response to the economy. Those stimulus outlays/tax cuts were already planned when the 2010 budget rolled out. Most of it probably comes from the health care plan that they lied about and said wouldn't cost anything.
Ok, I'm guessing your are taking this claim from the Heritage.org. None of this comes from the health care plan because that wasn't in place when this nonsense was being put together. But since you want to use this analysis lets look at the actual changes in spending as listed here.Where is the growth in spending relative to GDP between 2008 and 2020? SS, Medicare, Medicaid.

What are causes of these deficits? How about this view. The white bar at the bottom are the share of the deficits not related to the tax cuts, the wars, and the economic downturn. This comes from this article and is rebutted here .

Neither of these articles perfectly represent my view, but the Heritage.org's contextless copying of numbers is not worth anything. However, Mr Brian Riedl at Heritage eventually states -

As for future budget deficits, tax revenues are projected to soon reach their historical average. As spending surges to 6 percent of GDP above its historical average by 2020, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid (along with net interest) are the moving variables responsible for the vast majority of this growth

How is Obama responsible for these spending increases? If you want to argue he is not doing enough to slow down this growth in spending then fair enough, but to argue that this is new spending is just ignorant nonsense.

Ok, I'm guessing your are taking this claim from the Heritage.org. None of this comes from the health care plan because that wasn't in place when this nonsense was being put together. But since you want to use this analysis lets look at the actual changes in spending as listed here.Where is the growth in spending relative to GDP between 2008 and 2020? SS, Medicare, Medicaid.

What are causes of these deficits? How about this view. The white bar at the bottom are the share of the deficits not related to the tax cuts, the wars, and the economic downturn. This comes from this article and is rebutted here .

Neither of these articles perfectly represent my view, but the Heritage.org's contextless copying of numbers is not worth anything. However, Mr Brian Riedl at Heritage eventually states -

As for future budget deficits, tax revenues are projected to soon reach their historical average. As spending surges to 6 percent of GDP above its historical average by 2020, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid (along with net interest) are the moving variables responsible for the vast majority of this growth

How is Obama responsible for these spending increases? If you want to argue he is not doing enough to slow down this growth in spending then fair enough, but to argue that this is new spending is just ignorant nonsense.
OK so it's not Obama's fault. At some point we still need a President who will address the 500 lb gorilla. If it isn't Obama, hopefully it's the next President. Someone is going to have to stand up and be a leader.

No, I'm taking this from the actual budgets. Here's the 2010 Budget: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy10/pdf/fy10-newera.pdf

Here's the 2011 Budget: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/fi...sets/tables.pdf

The outlays for these programs you've specified are nearly identical between the two, this isn't new outlays because SS projections went up. Page 119 of last year's budget and 151 of this year's budget will show you that. And both of these include the stimulus. And yet, the outlays for every single year are projected be higher now as a result of Obama's policies. Looking at the latest one, he's projecting 5-6% GDP growth in many years, and government spending is going to continue to outpace that. And it grows as a share of the GDP every year as a result, until it reaches almost 25% by the end of 2019.

You'll also notice that this budget includes the Bush tax cuts expiring. Because the receipts go from 14.8% of the GDP to about 18% in 2 years. And continues to climb until it's somewhere in the 19's. There's no other explanation for the receipts jumping like that other than the assumption those will expire. And we still run gigantic defecits thanks to this growth in spending. You're going to have to take another 5% of the GDP in taxes to cover that spending. And that's what Obama is setting us up as for the new norm.

Oh, and imagine how the government spending as a percentage of GDP and the defecits are going to look when we don't hit those rosy 5-6% GDP growth numbers, that outpace any independent analysis, and don't have a GDP exceeding 20 trillion by the end of the decade.

At this point it really looks like a when and not an if.

Of course, I'm sure you'll show me a chart that shows the entire defecit is related to economic downturn and has nothing to do with Obama and clan's growth of the federal government at that point.

Ok, I'm guessing your are taking this claim from the Heritage.org. ...
No, I'm taking this from the actual budgets. Here's the 2010 Budget: http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy10/pdf/fy10-newera.pdf

Here's the 2011 Budget: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/fi...sets/tables.pdf

:

:
Well I repeated the Heritage.org exercise as a check, but your linked FY10 and their S1 deficits are different. Since the one you linked makes things worst, I think it is OK to utilize that one. Please correct me where my spreadsheet text to cell conversions is letting me down.Deficit fy10 fY11 Diff 2010 1171 1556 3852011 912 1267 3552012 581 828 2472013 533 727 1942014 570 706 1362015 583 752 1692016 637 778 1412017 636 778 1422018 634 785 1512019 712 908 196 6969 9085 2116Outlays fy10 fY11 Diff 2010 3552 3721 1692011 3625 3834 2092012 3662 3755 932013 3856 3915 592014 4069 4161 922015 4258 4386 1282016 4493 4665 1722017 4678 4872 1942018 4868 5084 2162019 5158 5415 257 42219 43808 1589But this uses the S-1 table, you claim that the difference that will show that Obama's policy changes create 1.7 trillion comes from the S-4 table.
Code:
Total outlays	   fy10	fy11  Diff 2010   3552	3721   1692011   3623	3834   2112012   3662	3755	932013   3856	3915	592014   4069	4161	922015   4258	4386   1282016   4493	4665   1722017   4678	4872   1942018   4868	5084   2162019   5158	5415   257	  42217   43808  1591
Since these are your tables I must have copied something wrong to be $100 billion off. But even so, your claim isn't that the budgets are different but they are different because of Obama's policies. And that it is this "out of control spending" that is creating the massive budget deficits this decade. Showing the number is higher doesn't prove that point. So where are the difference?
Code:
Discretionary programs:	   Mandatory programs:		   Net interest		  	   fy10   fy11  Diff			 fy10   fy11				   fy10   fy11  Diff 2010   1368   1408	40	  2010   2009   2123   114	  2010	164	188	242011   1286   1415   129	  2011   2040   2165   125	  2011	283	251   -322012   1257   1301	44	  2012   2009   2107	98	  2012	378	343   -352013   1269   1267	-2	  2013   2132   2208	76	  2013	434	436	 22014   1286   1283	-3	  2014   2287   2364	77	  2014	474	510	362015   1313   1310	-3	  2015   2412   2500	88	  2015	509	571	622016   1341   1337	-4	  2016   2587   2696   109	  2016	539	627	882017   1370   1371	 1	  2017   2717   2815	98	  2017	564	681   1172018   1401   1405	 4	  2018   2848   2942	94	  2018	590	733   1432019   1434   1442	 8	  2019   3073   3182   109	  2019	622	786   164	  13325  13539   214			24114  25102   988			 4557   5126   569plus Disaster Cost was reduced by 184
So through the appropriations process we are plus 214, almost all of it in the next three years. I can't find my link but if I recall correctly that is mostly defense, state department, energy, education, and extended unemployment. Some of this are a result of policy changes, but this is far from the 1.7 trillion we are looking for.Interest is almost +569. This is mostly Obama's policies?

So most of the difference is mandatory spending. What makes up this total?

For Manadatory Programs I haveSocial Security +58 mostly in the next few years (i.e. the economy has workers retiring earlier) which is offset later (i.e. the get reduced benefits)Medicare +36 Almost all of it in 2014 and 2018Medicaid -84 (+23 now, but then goes down)TARP -35 (Everything is new on the FY11 budget)Job Programs +50 (Everything is new on the FY11 budget)-----------------------------------------------------------------This is almost a wash=================================================================Health Care Reform +491Other mandatory programs fy10 fy11 Diff2010 571 737 1662011 549 619 702012 482 570 882013 491 547 562014 527 546 192015 527 544 172016 545 563 182017 552 567 152018 562 568 62019 594 616 22 5400 5877 477So in reality the bulk of the differences in spending comes down to the changes from Heath Care Reform and "Other mandatory programs". "Other mandatory programs" has most of the spending right now and the Heath Care Reform mostly at the later half of the period. Obviously Heath Care Reform is a change in policy and +491 Billion is a significant chunk, but adding this to the deficit is just wrong. Why? Because Heath Care Reform also is budgeted at bringing in $595 billion in new revenue. So we are left with "Other Mandatory Spending". What is this?

Other mandatory spending includes an amalgam of federal programs—including, for example, federal civilian and military retirement benefits, Food Stamps, unemployment compensation, and veterans’ benefits—as well as certain receipts recorded as negative outlays. Those receipts, also known as offsetting receipts, include such payments as contributions for the federal civilian and military retirement programs and payments for drilling rights on the Outer Continental Shelf.

None of those would be impacted by a bad economy, now would they?So I stand by my opinion that you were just parroting a talking point and you cannot attribute anything close to $1.7 trillion in new spending that made it into the FY11 budget based on Obama policy changes.

Obama was dealt a crappy hand, and I still vividly remember how things were on Nov 1 2008. I'm honestly going to assess how things are in 2012 when deciding who to vote for.

Things are bad now and look pretty bleak for the future, but there's time to turn it around.

Receipts are actually down a couple hundred billion over the same timespan as well. That's why the defecit growth is larger than the extra spending racked up. Not sure where this "595 billion in new revenue" to pay for health care reform is coming from, but Obama hasn't accounted for it in any of his budgets thusfar. And that isn't because of the economy. If you look at the receipts as a percentage of GDP, they're actually about the same in the years after health care reform hits. And the GDP is actually speculated to be a tad bit higher in those years in the latest budget.

Receipts are actually down a couple hundred billion over the same timespan as well.
That is called to economy being in a recession. And has nothing to do with your specific claim that Obama policy changes are responsible new debt in the form of $1.7 trillion in new spending in the FY11 budget that wasn't there in the FY10 budget above and beyond the stimulus and the appropriation bills which I counted, and Health Care Reform which I mentioned as a "remains to be seen". You claimed that all of these were already accounted for in the FY10 budget which I don't believe to be true anyway.
That's why the defecit growth is larger than the extra spending racked up.
Sure in a down economic time revenue goes down, spending goes up even if there are zero policy changes.
Not sure where this "595 billion in new revenue" to pay for health care reform is coming from, but Obama hasn't accounted for it in any of his budgets thusfar.
You mean other than the line labeled "Allowance for health reform" under receipts on the page you claimed to have used to crunch the numbers?
And that isn't because of the economy. If you look at the receipts as a percentage of GDP, they're actually about the same in the years after health care reform hits. And the GDP is actually speculated to be a tad bit higher in those years in the latest budget.
What? How does going from 14.8 % to 19.5% equate to being about the same? I'm done with this hi-jacking of this thread. Your claims, just like your global warming claims all collapse under a minimal level of actual scrutiny. I stand by the assertion that the deficits this coming decade are mostly interest on debt, the aging population, and the economy. That the $10 trillion in new debt is mostly not a result of new policies. You correctly point out we need to be somewhat lucky to have a somewhat normal recovery where there is a nice "catch up" bump to get the require GDP growth for even these insanely high number (have you looked at 2021-2040 projections?). I attribute a number between $1 and $2 trillion to Obama for the stimulus and the bumps in funding non defense departments. I also blame Obama for continuing too many existing policies. And I take a "it remains to be seen" about Health Care Reform because in part I know it counts on specific savings that DC won't have the political will to achieve, but historically have been accounted for with cuts elsewhere.

So in other words I think I have a good handle on the fiscal picture and what Obama and the democrats have and have not done. Your assertion caught me by surprise and I was worried I was uninformed of real happenings as opposed to weak partisan talking points. I don't believe that is the case. Hopefully the "party of no" can stand together to keep the president and the current majority party from only extending some of the tax cuts and they will all expire to help narrow the gap and add some certainty to the economy.

what? I'm not the one who said the president "swore" anything.. you just inferred that they speculated and spent a trillion dollars!!! keep avoiding the real issue though, you are good at it! :rolleyes: oh, and I answer YES, they did speculate, and spent a trillion dollars on pure speculation, which is shameful..
Sure. Let’s say there are 1.5 million more jobs than there would’ve been. That is at the price tag of a mere $900 billion. Let’s assume that we’ve only spent half of that money. That means for the bargain price of $450 billion, we saved 1.5 million jobs. What does that equate out to? $3 million per job? Just a thought, but if we took the $900 billion and we simply picked unemployed Americans and said that we were going to give them a $50K a year job picking up trash or planting flowers or painting bridges or building high speed railroads or any other manual labor job there is, and paid them each $50K a year on a one year contract, we could’ve put 18 million people back to work, right? So if I could’ve created 18 million jobs for $900 billion and the Government saved 1.5 million, then what should people be excited about. The Fed just spent $3 million per job to save $40-50K a year jobs.

Sure. Let’s say there are 1.5 million more jobs than there would’ve been. That is at the price tag of a mere $900 billion. Let’s assume that we’ve only spent half of that money. That means for the bargain price of $450 billion, we saved 1.5 million jobs. What does that equate out to? $3 million per job? Just a thought, but if we took the $900 billion and we simply picked unemployed Americans and said that we were going to give them a $50K a year job picking up trash or planting flowers or painting bridges or building high speed railroads or any other manual labor job there is, and paid them each $50K a year on a one year contract, we could’ve put 18 million people back to work, right? So if I could’ve created 18 million jobs for $900 billion and the Government saved 1.5 million, then what should people be excited about. The Fed just spent $3 million per job to save $40-50K a year jobs.
Except we didn't spend $900 billion in one year, but will over the course of a decade. And that $900 billion wasn't just structured as short term stimulus but as a head start to achieving other policy goals with long term implications. In fact much of the early criticism of the stimulus was that it wasn't stimulus at all but just spending. This is also why there are calls by those that disagreed with these policy priorities to be arguing that we should cancel the rest of the stimulus because "it didn't create the job". So $3 million per $40-50K job is not a very complete way to look at it.Now of course you can disagree that the spending as structured is not really an investment in the infrastructure of this nation and won't pay off in the future having these projects completed sooner rather than later- but that was one of the stated goals of the package.

Except we didn't spend $900 billion in one year, but will over the course of a decade. And that $900 billion wasn't just structured as short term stimulus but as a head start to achieving other policy goals with long term implications. In fact much of the early criticism of the stimulus was that it wasn't stimulus at all but just spending. This is also why there are calls by those that disagreed with these policy priorities to be arguing that we should cancel the rest of the stimulus because "it didn't create the job". So $3 million per $40-50K job is not a very complete way to look at it.Now of course you can disagree that the spending as structured is not really an investment in the infrastructure of this nation and won't pay off in the future having these projects completed sooner rather than later- but that was one of the stated goals of the package.
Yup, BHO lied to us but most of us knew this.What this package accomplished was a transfer of wealth. And they can't figure out why the economy is stalled.

So $3 million per $40-50K job is not a very complete way to look at it.
Even at one tenth of that price, the taxpayers still got screwed.The bottom line: I'm still seeing an awful lot of For Sale/Real Estate Auction signs popping up on a regular basis, and there are still a whole lot of well qualified people looking for full time work that can't find it and haven't been able to find it for well over a year and a half now.Anyone defending the Stimulus as any kind of success is clearly jaded and grasping at straws. It's mind boggling that despite this clear failure that there are actually people in power clammoring for a second Stimulus (which some of us knew was coming before the 2010 elections when we saw how the first Stimulus was geared).

This is exactly right. Setting aside the fact that using Spidey's numbers comes out to 300K per job, not 3 million, it's still a bad way to evaluate stimulus. The intent isn't just hire people in the short term, but to boost economic activity in a way that ultimately spurs natural growth. Much of the money goes out not directly to consumers, but to businesses that fund jobs and purchase materials or do research. Eventually that results in those inventories being replaced or new goods and services entering the market, creating future demand and growth.

Users who are viewing this thread