What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just Curious George Here? (1 Viewer)

Toads

Footballguy
.....for an 18 Round survivor draft?

What's "quick draft" look like?

If 1 pick per ever 1.0 hours over 18 rounds....would that be a record? 16 team X 18 rounds = 288 picks X 1.0 hours/pick....that's 288 elapsed hours, or 12 complete 24 hour days.

Is that close to the record?

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually am trying to figure out a way to speed these drafts up.

I sent this to our fearless leader(ship) but, as is the case, it must have gotten lost in the shuffle.....or:

1) It's just a downright stupid idea, or

2) Old dogs cannot be taught new tricks.

I never received a reply back so it musta been one of the above.

Under the title of: "An Idea For This (and Future) Drafts:

Message Forwarded From Toads

I had a thought:

when you do the sign up sheet and IF you asked for guys to post what time zone they reside in when they signed up....

....then, the captains might be able to draft and group the draft slots by time zone, thereby making for an automatic mechanism for speeding up these drafts.

I've done some analysis of drafts I've been envolved with over the years and I've found that:

1) the more draft positions, the harder to get a rythm, and

2) the problems seem to come when guys are all on different ends of the country..

....a guy in Seattle followed by a guy in New York followed by a guy in San Fran folled by a guy in Alabama.

See what I mean? If you allow the draft to be completed then the slots assigned, you could order the spots by time zone and you would haved finally found a mechanism for speeding up these drafts.

Or.....you could talk to the captains and have them poll the guys they've drafted and have them do it this year.....in maybe one or two of these to see if it makes a difference.

Before PDSL-4 started, I forwarded this to BSS but he had other concerns about honor and decorum and such and couldn't seem to grasp the idea that he could try it out.

Maybe this works somewhere down the line?

:thumbup:

The draft will always move in jerks until someone is away for a few hours.

The timezones aren't as big a factor as they seem. Most people in the draft sleep a little.

Lengthening the jerk with lists would help, but the integrity of the draft is more important at some point.

I'd have to go back and look, but I believe there was one (18 rder tho) that finished in just over 8 days.

That was an SSL from a few years ago. I think around 04 or 05 IIRC. I was a part of that one and we went real fast.

kinda new to this stuff, but I recommended the "pick a day expectation" approach.......each owner knows they will pick one guy each day......you could do some initial prep by saying:

pick 1.01 Monday 8:00 am to 9:00 am

pick 1.02 Monday 9:00 am to 10:00 am

and so on

guys would be assigned a pick and a time each day.....if it goes quicker, gravy.....but you would know BEFORE the draft even starts, the "due" time of EVERY ONE your picks....if you weren't going to be around, PM's lists would be made easier, etc.....guys that are active wouldn't be checking in and getting frustrated all the time.....draft is done in 20 days

I was part of that draft as well... It just worked out so your pick would come up at the same times each day.

Plus, with the pick per day approach, the east coast guys could start the day, and the west coast could finish. Easy to get 16 slots in with that approach.

The Future Champs said:
Plus, with the pick per day approach, the east coast guys could start the day, and the west coast could finish. Easy to get 16 slots in with that approach.
East coast bias....I like it.

I was thinking it was one of the SSL's too, but didn't think it was back quite so far. As I remember, we had a rocky first couple rounds--and then got rolling to where you could just about set a clock by your draft time. For some reason I can't get back farther than partway through the 2006 SSL's this morning (page 20--do we drop them after that??!!)--but of those I was involved with the best I found was 2008 SSL1, which ran from 4/28-5/15. Dunno if that's the one--somehow I'm thinking we were faster than one round per day, but that could just be aging memories. It was really exciting to be involved in one that clicked the way the one we're looking for did!

Before PDSL-4 started, I forwarded this to BSS but he had other concerns about honor and decorum and such and couldn't seem to grasp the idea that he could try it out.Maybe this works somewhere down the line?
:thumbup:One thing BSS did grasp was picking a team with guys that are paying attention....this draft is blazin'.

Users who are viewing this thread