What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Jays Thread*** Lots of optimism, again. (4 Viewers)

@LottOnBaseball 1m
Gibbons asked whether he plans to play Lawrie at 2nd vs. RHP to keep Francisco’s bat in lineup at 3rd. Smile. “To be determined.” (1/2)

@LottOnBaseball 1m
Gibbons: “We’re looking at everything. But yeah, while [Francisco is] hot, we’ve got to find a way to keep him in there somehow."

What happens if Colby Rasmus goes to the DL? Tolleson becomes an every day OF? Or they call up Gose and he and Tolleson platoon in the field?
Gose would likely be called up, though I'd much rather see Kevin Pillar (hits RH, can play CF and is mashing in AAA) up permanently as the 4th outfielder.

Sierra DFA'd, Diaz demoted to AAA, Anthony Gose and Steve Tolleson called up.

Gose doesn't figure to see a ton of time, but will be nice to have as a pinch runner/defensive replacement, which may be all he is as an MLB player.
If that's all Gose ever turns out to be, he'll still have more value than Brett Wallace and Michael Taylor
Gose could pretty easily be the best defensive CF in baseball if he ever got the playing time. His range/speed and arm are insane... too bad about that swing.

Saw McGowan start the other night. Just awful. Hopefully he does better in the bullpen. It was kind of interesting to see another pitcher outside of the Rays staff not make it into the 5th inning.

Saw McGowan start the other night. Just awful. Hopefully he does better in the bullpen. It was kind of interesting to see another pitcher outside of the Rays staff not make it into the 5th inning.
Sounds like it was largely his decision to go to the bullpen. The fact that the Jays were considering a 6 man rotation before Morrow's injury makes a bit more sense now. Morrow and McGowan both have such long injury histories and also both have diabetes, tough combo it seems.

I'm hoping for Stroman in the rotation, even though he's struggled a bit out of the pen so far.

Is it a given that Francisco will sit vs. lefties?

I was scrambling yesterday to figure out what to do this week after sudden injuries to Lowrie and Prado and decided to go with Francisco at 3B for this week. I knew I needed to check his matchups but just ran out of time.

Jays face 4 this week. :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a given that Francisco will sit vs. lefties?

I was scrambling yesterday to figure out what to do this week after sudden injuries to Lowrie and Prado and decided to go with Francisco at 3B for this week. I knew I needed to check his matchups but just ran out of time.

Jays face 4 this week. :bag:
Probably likely to happen.

Last two v LHP starters had Lawrie to 3B and Tolleson playing 2B

Jays lead MLB in HR's, some tough opponents coming up, will get a better idea of what this team is, but sure is fun beating up the Red Sox.

Back to back sweeps of last year's world series champs and then the team that had the best record in the AL when the series began. #FirstPlaceJays

Too soon to get excited or should I start watching again?

Been a long time since a Sept game mattered....1998 i am thinking.

Too soon to get excited or should I start watching again?
I can't answer because I'm the guy who will cheer for/defend them when they're by all accounts a ####ty team. But this seems somewhat legit. Their run differential is the best in the AL East by 31 runs.

The offense though is what everyone expected it to be last season. Reyes is really using his speed (3 SB's today), Melky is hitting the ball all over the park, Bautista and Encarnacion are great sluggers who also have high OBP's. Lawrie, Lind, Rasmus, Navarro, Francisco make it a pretty deep lineup with no big holes. The 4/5 starter spots will be question marks but Happ looked good today and Stroman is being stretched out. Hutchison looks legit as a mid rotation guy and Buerhle and Dickey will eat lots of innings and win more than lose. All that plus the weak AL East and I think they'll be at least in the playoff race through the summer. Toronto sports teams love to find ways to rip the fans hearts out though, so who knows.

Jays had no business winning tonight's game. 5 warning track outs, great defensive plays all over the place, then it ends on a walkoff bunt. Last year they couldn't do anything right, now they can't do anything wrong.

Cancelled cable earlier this year assuming the Jays were going to be ####. Caved last night and got MLB.tv... yep. Same old Jays.

Who is supplying Encarnacion with roids? Melky Cabrera? That whole offense is on the juice. Except Adam Lind. Maybe.

Balco said:
Who is supplying Encarnacion with roids? Melky Cabrera? That whole offense is on the juice. Except Adam Lind. Maybe.
A team finding Bautista and Encarnacion like the Jays have is pretty unreal. 2.5 years ago, the Jays DFA'd & demoted Encarnacion at one point, and he was claimed off waivers by the A's at another (they kept Kouzmanoff over him in the offseason and he resigned in Toronto). We all know the Bautista/Jonathan Diaz trade.

Colby Rasmus ever going to play baseball again?
Some Jays fans are ready to send him on the next bus out of town because of Gose's speed/defense/bunt/OMG SMALLBALL#!#! combo, but he should be back soon, he was testing his hammy on the turf last week, and supposed to be heading to Dunedin to start a rehab assignment.

He didn't even play on country music day, so you know it's a tough injury.

Reading through my #####ing about the bullpen earlier in the year, it's amazing how they became lights out the second Janssen returned. It wasn't just Santos who was crapping the bed, even Cecil/Delabar/Loup... were. Now with Janssen back there (and McGowan as well), all of a sudden they're close to being great again like they were most of last season (although Delabar's velocity and effectiveness are still off).

Anyway, nice little 14-2 run here in last 16 games! :excited:

So when does the fire sale start?
Who do you think they will trade? Bautista and Encarnacion? those are the only 2 offensive players that would fetch something in return.
Sadly, I don't think they'll trade anyone but Rasmus and Buerhle could fetch something and Bautista and Edwin should bring in a nice haul.

ETA: And I'll preface that with saying that I have little to no idea how to value MLB trades.
AA has got to be dead man walking at this point
You're crazy. AA is a genius!

This is fun.

5 players to 10 HR already - Edwin/Bautista/Francisco/Lawrie/Melky (Rasmus has 9 and has been on the DL a month)

Blue Jays batters in May (note the last number is SLG, not OPS as it may appear for Edwin/Rasmus):

Edwin 281/369/763 (16 HR in the month)

Jose 324/417/532

Lind 367/406/617

Fat Juan 284/365/649

Reyes 269/348/437

Lawrie 287/333/436

Melky 276/338/397

Rasmus 286/318/714

Tolleson 300/375/580

Gose 295/380/364

Navarro 222/278/278

Just when you think they are really done, they pull out a miracle that could turn things back around completely.

EE=MVP candidate

The Jays are the best and the Yankees are brutal again, at least for a couple innings. I'll assume Raider Nation is bumping that thread and making declarations about the Yankees sucking now.

Two walk-off wins via the bunt :) That can't be all that common. And just when I am ready to say "WTF is wrong with Reyes? He can't hit or field anymore!" he leads of the ninth with a key double. Thought we lost EE there after his head snapped. I'll be surprised if he is in the lineup today. One thing about the '14 jays is that anything can happen - don't change that channel.

Two walk-off wins via the bunt :) That can't be all that common. And just when I am ready to say "WTF is wrong with Reyes? He can't hit or field anymore!" he leads of the ninth with a key double. Thought we lost EE there after his head snapped. I'll be surprised if he is in the lineup today. One thing about the '14 jays is that anything can happen - don't change that channel.
First since 2005.

LOL @ Pillar and his .224 OBP freaking out about being pulled for a pinch hitter WHEN HE'S IN A PLATOON AND THERE'S A RHP ON THE MOUND. Serves his ### right to be back in Buffalo.

Nolan Reimold will save us all.

Tough to say what to do... Daniel Norris and Dalton Pompey are flying up prospect lists, both in the BA midseason top 50. Sanchez still right there as well. Stroman and Hutchinson both doing well in the rotation, all of a sudden the starting pitching is the strength of this team, but without Lawrie and Encarnacion, now they can't buy a run, amazing how quickly things change.

So, reports the team can't take on any extra money, which AA won't deny.

Stroman has been great at MLB level. Norris and Sanchez have moved up and are getting closer to MLB. Best position prospect Dalton Pompey apparently is basically untouchable, not because of his awesome year, but the fact that he's from Mississagua (20 mins from Toronto) and the team sees a marketing dream. Seems unlikely either Rasmus or Melky is back next season due to cheapness, meanwhile Bautista/Edwin are inching towards the end of their contracts and Reyes is clearly in decline and the Yankees/Rays/Sox will never be this bad again. I have no idea what this team should do.

Users who are viewing this thread