What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The End of Baseball's Major Milestones? (1 Viewer)

Bogart

Footballguy
Interesting Post about Miguel Cabrera's retirement, which kinda ties into current HOF conversation, as stats and milestones are discussed.

With the retirement of Miguel Cabrera, baseball is about to enter an historically rare stretch here, folks.

Going into 2024, the active leaders in hits, home runs, and wins, are, respectively:

• Joey Votto, 2135 hits (free agent)
• Giancarlo Stanton, 402 HR (NYY)
• Justin Verlander, 257 wins (HOU)

This means that the entire 2024 season will certainly be played without any members of the 3000-hit, 500-homer, or 300-win clubs appearing on an MLB roster.

The last time an entire MLB season was played without any active members of the 3000-hit, 500-homer, or 300-win clubs was 1977.

The last time before that was 1948. Wowch.

Meanwhile, this looks like a streak that could continue well beyond 2024 in MLB, as the classic HOF counting thresholds of 3000/500/300 become more and more elusive.

Got me going down a Baseball-Reference rabbit hole, and really adding to my appreciation to the greats that hit those magical numbers. We will never have someone come close to 5000 strikeouts, no one will pass even 4000 most likely, with only a handful of guys passing 3000 at this point. Thank you, Mr. Ryan. 300 wins? Forget about it. Unless Kershaw does "one more year" for another decade. Acuna might set the new modern standard for stolen bases at 500? 600 for his career? Not even halfway to Rickey's 1406.

Stanton and Trout have a shot at 500 HRs, Freeman and Altuve have a shot at 3000 hits, but after that, it gets grim.

If you will excuse me, I'm off to buy more Ryan and Henderson cards. The Kings shall remain on top for awhile.

2020 really screwed with some of these hitters career numbers. 100 games out of their peaks.

I get the point about the likely trends of the game, but keep in mind that there are only 28 guys who ever hit 500 home runs. And a few of those might not have done it without roids. Thats only 1 every 4 or 5 years. And 12 of the 28 came within a 16-year period from 1999-2015.
Only 33 guys with 3000 hits and somewhat of a similar dynamic.
19 pitchers with 3000 Ks and 9 did it from 1974-1986.
So yes there few guys on a clear path right now, but I think that’s more of the historical norm.

Machado could get to 3000 hits (1737 at age 30)

Yelich, Harper and bogaerts have a chance.

Machado and Harper have a pretty good shot at 500 homers too

I get the point about the likely trends of the game, but keep in mind that there are only 28 guys who ever hit 500 home runs. And a few of those might not have done it without roids. Thats only 1 every 4 or 5 years. And 12 of the 28 came within a 16-year period from 1999-2015.
Only 33 guys with 3000 hits and somewhat of a similar dynamic.
19 pitchers with 3000 Ks and 9 did it from 1974-1986.
So yes there few guys on a clear path right now, but I think that’s more of the historical norm.

Solid point. I guess we were/are lucky to be alive in a time when more than our fair share made it happen.

For me, baseball numbers have been meaningless since the steriod era. I can't even get excited about guys like Frank Thomas and Griffey, because deep down, I feel they probably cheated also. Puljos, come on. I think that's why I am enjoying the new steals game so much now. It's a nice distraction. The way they are "protecting" the pitchers over the last twenty years, is also a huge negative for me, in regards to my love of game.

Users who are viewing this thread