What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tim Tebow - 8.17.21 Waived By Jacksonville (1 Viewer)

This rather defies explanation; Kyle Orton waived:http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10506849Even if you think Tebow is Jesus in cleats, why would you waive a perfectly servicable backup QB? (Other than to keep fans from second-guessing you when he sucks for 60 minutes instead of 55).
1. save money2. reassure Tebow3. eliminate locker room tension4. give Orton a chance to play elsewhere
1,2,3 make sense.Do NFL teams really care about #4?
If Elway liked the way Orton quietly stepped aside when Tebow took over...yes. Keep in mind - all GMs have to attract FA of their own at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
This rather defies explanation; Kyle Orton waived:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10506849

Even if you think Tebow is Jesus in cleats, why would you waive a perfectly servicable backup QB? (Other than to keep fans from second-guessing you when he sucks for 60 minutes instead of 55).
1. save money2. reassure Tebow

3. eliminate locker room tension

4. give Orton a chance to play elsewhere
We can cross off #2 and #3 also. 4-1 as a starter. That provides a lot of assurance and eases locker room tensions.

#1 is the reason.

This rather defies explanation; Kyle Orton waived:http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10506849Even if you think Tebow is Jesus in cleats, why would you waive a perfectly servicable backup QB? (Other than to keep fans from second-guessing you when he sucks for 60 minutes instead of 55).
1. save money2. reassure Tebow3. eliminate locker room tension4. give Orton a chance to play elsewhere
If I had to pick one owner I would say Pat Bowlen, I'm pretty sure he has a history of accommodating players who want out. I would say they did it for #1. #2 and #3 don't make sense as all the players are in love with Tebow and Orton is not a tension creator. Also I would say #4 might be part of it if Orton approached ownership about it, citing #1 for a good reason for them to do it too.

Oakland also plays three teams that could possibly claim Orton (Miami, Chicago, Kansas City) so perhaps it's a :shark: move. (lol ignoring the fact that the Raiders play two of those teams as well).

-QG

I cannot wait for the N.E. @ Denver game in week 15.

Seeing exactly what scheme Belichick comes up with against Tebow will be fascinating.

If Elway liked the way Orton quietly stepped aside when Tebow took over...yes. Keep in mind - all GMs have to attract FA of their own at some point.
This is exactly what the dudes on the radio were talking about today. Orton has been a true professional since his arrival in Denver.

Elway seems like a genuinely good human being. I love how he's supported Tebow while all of the naysayers have bashed him. It's good to know that you care more about winning than getting Tebow out at all costs, even if it means losing. :thumbup:

Elway seems like a genuinely good human being. I love how he's supported Tebow while all of the naysayers have bashed him. It's good to know that you care more about winning than getting Tebow out at all costs, even if it means losing. :thumbup:
I've always liked Elway but until the Orton release all his statements just seemed like he was expecting Tebow to fail. I had the impression that he only put him in under pressure from the fans. I was really surprised to see Orton out there.

I posted this in the Orton thread also - a little ironic that Elway appears to have screwed Tebow again - first trades away Lloyd and then cuts Orton who lands up with a competitor.

I posted this in the Orton thread also - a little ironic that Elway appears to have screwed Tebow again - first trades away Lloyd and then cuts Orton who lands up with a competitor.
Doubly so when you realize that KC was the only likely team that would put in a claim (and have a chance, as they had priority over the other teams that realistically would have). Ironically, I think it actually just screws KC in the long run - so they'll end up 6-10 or 7-9 instead of 4-12 or 5-11...worse draft pick.

Seeing exactly what scheme Belichick comes up with against Tebow will be fascinating.
I'm more interested to the offensive gameplan for the Broncos in that game That might be the first time we see a majority or around every other possession of no huddle spread offense like they should have been doing all along.

I'm more interested to the offensive gameplan for the Broncos in that game That might be the first time we see a majority or around every other possession of no huddle spread offense like they should have been doing all along.
Think it's possible? That would be awesome.

I've always liked Elway but until the Orton release all his statements just seemed like he was expecting Tebow to fail. I had the impression that he only put him in under pressure from the fans. I was really surprised to see Orton out there.
I hope he gets caught under a boulder in Colorado and has to cut off his head to survive.

I hope he gets caught under a boulder in Colorado and has to cut off his head to survive.
That might be a little extreme. How about the Broncos make the playoffs? That would be just as painful. It would be really easy for them to move on from a quarterback that inherited a 1-4 team and then led them to the playoffs. The city of Denver would love that.

He just wins.

Elway is like the Cleveland Indians owner in Major League who wanted to sabotage her team, but they kept winning anyway.

Can hardly wait to hear what the commentators have to say now. He is making some people look really bad.

For a college system that could NEVER work in the NFL, they sure are winning alot.

he's played some great defense these last 2 weeks, holding the Jets and Chargers to 26 points over 9 quarters and scoring a defensive TD of his own.

Broncos have 26 offensive points over the last 9 quarters.

I've always liked Elway but until the Orton qrelease all his statements just seemed like he was expecting Tebow to fail. I had the impression that he only put him in under pressure from the fans. I was really surprised to see Orton out there.
Releasing orton was actually a class move by denver

he's played some great defense these last 2 weeks, holding the Jets and Chargers to 26 points over 9 quarters and scoring a defensive TD of his own. Broncos have 26 offensive points over the last 9 quarters.
I wonder why the defense is playing better.

he's played some great defense these last 2 weeks, holding the Jets and Chargers to 26 points over 9 quarters and scoring a defensive TD of his own. Broncos have 26 offensive points over the last 9 quarters.
Couldn't be a stronger running game, could it?Or could it?5-1. Argue how much he sucks, but he doesn't turn it over and he runs for more yards than many starting running backs.

Couldn't be a stronger running game, could it?Or could it?5-1. Argue how much he sucks, but he doesn't turn it over and he runs for more yards than many starting running backs.
Stronger running game, better time of possession, and simply playing harder for a guy they believe in.Laugh at that all you want. It's true.

Couldn't be a stronger running game, could it?
I think we all know in our hearts why Denver's entire team is suddenly playing better.Let us pray.

Can hardly wait to hear what the commentators have to say now. He is making some people look really bad. For a college system that could NEVER work in the NFL, they sure are winning alot.
Lets give the defense some credit. Check he offensive output of the opponents. 15, 24, 10, 13, 10. That is a much bigger factor in their wins.

50% completion rate for the first time in 2011... also 7.4 YPA, 1 TD, no ints.

improvement
Yes. He won't be mistaken for Tom Brady anytime soon, but he definitely threw the ball well today. There was only 1 really bad pass and there were a number of passes his receivers dropped. He did have great protection though and he won't always have that. But I do think that the threat of the run to some extent holds the pass rush in check.

Stronger running game, better time of possession, and simply playing harder for a guy they believe in.Laugh at that all you want. It's true.
saying the Bronco defenders were simply not playing hard because Kyle Orton was their QB might be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen yet. Tebow has taken care of the ball I do give him that though I absolutely do not buy the argument that he is accurate with his inaccuracy as some seem to be saying, like he can never throw to defenders. that INT rate will rise soon enough. the Bronco D was the main reason this team won the last two games, Tim Tebow was a small part of both wins. It's not fair to the defense to act like Tebow willed the team to win

saying the Bronco defenders were simply not playing hard because Kyle Orton was their QB might be one of the most ridiculous arguments I've seen yet.
Did I actually say that?

50% completion rate for the first time in 2011... also 7.4 YPA, 1 TD, no ints.

improvement
Yes. He won't be mistaken for Tom Brady anytime soon, but he definitely threw the ball well today. There was only 1 really bad pass and there were a number of passes his receivers dropped. He did have great protection though and he won't always have that. But I do think that the threat of the run to some extent holds the pass rush in check.
oh, absolutely. I saw on more than one play where the Chargers dropped 7 into protection, and the 4 down defensive linemen were basically playing QB spy...they didn't even try to beat the man in front of them, they just held their ground to keep Tebow in check when he inevitably decides to run around.Honestly, that's probably the formula to beat him.

Can hardly wait to hear what the commentators have to say now. He is making some people look really bad. For a college system that could NEVER work in the NFL, they sure are winning alot.
Lets give the defense some credit. Check he offensive output of the opponents. 15, 24, 10, 13, 10. That is a much bigger factor in their wins.
Defenses play a lot better when they can count on their offense not to screw up. Not turning the ball over his huge too. Nothing pretty about it, but it is mistake free ball.

If this offense from the Stone Age somehow wins a Super Bowl (slim chance, granted), do teams try to copy it?
Absolutely some (the really desperate and dumb ones) would but that is not going to happen unless this D morphs into one of the greats of all-time. GB slapped these guys around once already and would again, however Pitt will have their way with this team before that ever happens.

Can hardly wait to hear what the commentators have to say now. He is making some people look really bad.

For a college system that could NEVER work in the NFL, they sure are winning alot.
Defenses play a lot better when they can count on their offense not to screw up. Not turning the ball over his huge too. Nothing pretty about it, but it is mistake free ball.
Really huge.

Users who are viewing this thread