What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DYNASTY: 2011 Top 15 Prospects (1 Viewer)

I thought this might get some good discussion going on the 2011 class. I do not consider myself to be an expert at evaluating players by any means. I do, however, watch a ton of college football. I also follow recruiting very closely so a lot of these players I have been tracking since before they even set foot on campus. I considered any prospect who will be draft eligible for this list, whether I think they are likely to declare or not.

1. Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama (Jr.) – Doesn’t have the upside of a CJ3 or AP, but about as close to a lock RB1 as you can get.

2. AJ Green, WR, Georgia (Jr.) – While I feel that he is not the best WR in college at the moment, his physical abilities and potential make him the #1 dynasty WR from this class.

3. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame (Jr.) – The most polished of the elite WR’s, his game reminds me a lot of Larry Fitzgerald.

4. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama (Jr.) – His star has fallen a bit this last year. He still has all the tools needed to be an elite NFL WR, but the offense he plays in may not allow him to fully show his skills this year.

5. Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pitt (Jr.) – Supersized WR who would be good enough to be WR1 in a lot of years. That’s how deep this WR class is.

6. Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon St. (Jr.) – While I am slighty concerned about his size, I think he is much closer to MJD than Sproles.

7. DeAndre Brown, WR, Southern Miss (Jr.) – The last of what I would call the elite tier of WR’s in this class. If he has no lingering effects from his injury he has a very high ceiling. Physically resembles Plaxico Burress.

8. Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech (RSo.) – His numbers will probably go down a bit with the return of Darren Evans, but he looks like the complete package to me.

9. Evan Royster, RB, Penn State – Nothing flashy, but a solid back who should have a productive pro career.

10. Armon Binns, WR, Cincinnati – Overlooked due to Mardy Gilyard, he should explode this season. Like most WR prospects in this class he has great size.

11. Terrance Tolliver, WR, LSU – Another supersized WR prospect, he should put up big numbers as he takes over for Brandon LaFell.

12. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (RSo.)– While I don’t expect him to declare, I think he is the top draft eligible QB prospect in college.

13. Ronald Johnson, WR, USC – I expect him to explode this year now that he is healthy and has a more experience Barkley throwing to him.

14. Greg Little, WR, UNC – Converted running back who still plays like one at times. A bit raw, but he has a lot of potential.

15. Jake Locker, QB, Washington – Still has a lot of work to do to become a complete quarterback, but he has a ton of talent and will likely be a high first round pick.

ETA: Just missed the cut

QB Ryan Mallett

RB Daniel Thomas

RB Noel Devine

WR DeVier Posey

TE Kyle Rudolph

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake Locker will be higher by this time next year if not sooner. You'll have to be patient, but the ceiling is as high as it gets.

Ryan Williams is too low.
Where would you place him and who would you bump down? It's entirely possible he is too low, it's also a very deep class.
Jake Locker will be higher by this time next year if not sooner. You'll have to be patient, but the ceiling is as high as it gets.
Sam Bradford went #1 overall and his ADP for rookie drafts is around 10 or 11 in a weak class. I expect Locker to improve a lot, but QB's dont go that high in dynasty rookie drafts, especially in a deep year.
Daniel Thomas KState RB.... :thumbup:
The next RB on my list, but to repeat, I feel this year is just that deep.

I agree that Locker's ADP will be limited by being a QB, but Bradford was the best in a very bad class of QBs. I'd be curious what Peyton Manning's ADP was. locker won't deserve to go that high because he's not a pure passer. Where did Vick go in Rookie drafts? I think Locker is Steve Young.

I really like that you have Binns on the list. He was completely overlooked last year.

Paul Niles.

Sam Bradford went #1 overall and his ADP for rookie drafts is around 10 or 11 in a weak class.
Just to share, he's gone 5, 8, and 6 in my drafts so far.That being said, I think the perception of Locker is far different, and that he'll be an end-of-the-first-rounder in rookie drafts depending on situation.

rodgers needs to put on some serious bulk before he get anywhere close to this list
He is pretty bulky for his weight already. He will obviously still grow some but he doesn't really need much.
I agree that Locker's ADP will be limited by being a QB, but Bradford was the best in a very bad class of QBs. I'd be curious what Peyton Manning's ADP was. locker won't deserve to go that high because he's not a pure passer. Where did Vick go in Rookie drafts? I think Locker is Steve Young.
I like Locker's potential, but I don't see how he is rated higher than Stafford or Bradford were coming into the league. I didn't play dynasty when Vick and Manning were drafted, so maybe someone else can answer that question.
no Ryan Mallet, Arkansas QB ?
Not a fan of him at this point. He has all the physical tools, but too much Ryan Leaf in him for my tastes. If he shows improved maturity this season then he would likely move up quite a bit in my eyes.

At this point Locker is a better athlete than QB. That doesn't mean he won't eventually become a dominant pro, but I think it's a mistake to equate athletic talent with FF upside at the QB position. Most of the best guys there are middling athletes (Brees, Brady, Manning). As I've said before, playing QB in the NFL is all about chucking the rock. Everything else comes second. That said, Locker is an elite physical specimen and most people felt he would've been a top 5 pick this year if he had declared. He will most likely be a very high draft pick next year barring a nightmare season on the gridiron.

no Ryan Mallet, Arkansas QB ?
Indeed, Mallett is a notable omission. I would also include one TE on this list, Kyle Rudolph from Notre Dame.
I debated between him and Locker for the last spot. He does look to be the #1 TE prospect at this point.
Sam Bradford went #1 overall and his ADP for rookie drafts is around 10 or 11 in a weak class.
Just to share, he's gone 5, 8, and 6 in my drafts so far.That being said, I think the perception of Locker is far different, and that he'll be an end-of-the-first-rounder in rookie drafts depending on situation.
Fair point, he has gone earlier than QB's tend to go. I think a lot of this has to do with the relatively weak draft class after the top 4. I got my ADP from the dynasty rookie draft thread. Here is where Bradford has gone in Hyper Active Leagues....10 10.00 Bradford, Sam STL QB ® 6 9 9 10 10 11 12 13

As for the OP, there's not too much that I strongly agree with.

IMO Julio Jones is this year's Arrelious Benn. Much more hype than substance. I see him as a poor man's Hakeem Nicks and I think he needs to have a big season if he's going to justify his elite billing. I rank him below Floyd, Baldwin, Green, and Brown.

Ryan Williams could be a high pick. He's got dynamic quickness. The only question I had after watching his bowl game was bulk/durability. He looks a little thin. Purely in terms of skill set I think he's a potential first round guy though.

Quizz will be an interesting prospect. I could see him going as high as the 2nd round ala MJD/Rice or I could see him falling into the 4th ala Sproles. His weight might determine his upside. He's absolutely rocked out, but he's also really short. I'm hoping to see a weight around 200 pounds next year. In terms of style I think he's more MJD than Sproles. More of a power runner than an elusive back.

I don't think I'd rank Ronald Johnson quite that high yet, but I might like him more as a pro prospect than his teammate Damian Williams (who I'm pretty lukewarm on). We'll see what he does this season.

As for the OP, there's not too much that I strongly agree with.

IMO Julio Jones is this year's Arrelious Benn. Much more hype than substance. I see him as a poor man's Hakeem Nicks and I think he needs to have a big season if he's going to justify his elite billing. I rank him below Floyd, Baldwin, Green, and Brown.

You don't think that his lackluster play has a lot to do with the offense he is in? I think a big part of Julio's disappointing year was outside of his control, much like Benn. I think Jones' physical ability blows Benn out of the water though.

Ryan Williams could be a high pick. He's got dynamic quickness. The only question I had after watching his bowl game was bulk/durability. He looks a little thin. Purely in terms of skill set I think he's a potential first round guy though.

Williams is harder for me to rank because he was just a freshman last year, and he has only done it for one year. I like what I see though.

Quizz will be an interesting prospect. I could see him going as high as the 2nd round ala MJD/Rice or I could see him falling into the 4th ala Sproles. His weight might determine his upside. He's absolutely rocked out, but he's also really short. I'm hoping to see a weight around 200 pounds next year. In terms of style I think he's more MJD than Sproles. More of a power runner than an elusive back.

I agree that he is closer to MJD than Sproles. I think his size will scare some fantasy GMs off and make him a very nice value pick for someone.

I don't think I'd rank Ronald Johnson quite that high yet, but I might like him more as a pro prospect than his teammate Damian Williams (who I'm pretty lukewarm on). We'll see what he does this season.

Well yes RoJo has to show it on the field still. I think with Williams gone, and Barkley developing, he will. Part of me is influenced from my memories of watching him workout as a high school junior and seeing how great of an athlete he is. We will see if he can put it all together this year.

People always talk about Julio's raw talent, but I don't really see it on the field. He's not particularly explosive and I don't think he has the playing strength of your typical big-bodied possession WR. If it wasn't for his high school reputation, no one would be talking about him as a first round pick right now because he hasn't looked the part on the field. I've heard comparisons to Terrell Owens, but at best his upside is probably Hakeem Nicks. Maybe a late first rounder. Not an elite, top 10 type talent.

Royster sucks and would have been at best a 3rd round pick if came out this year, likely lower.

No way a mediocre senior rb will go in the top 10 in a stacked class like 2011 should be.

People always talk about Julio's raw talent, but I don't really see it on the field. He's not particularly explosive and I don't think he has the playing strength of your typical big-bodied possession WR. If it wasn't for his high school reputation, no one would be talking about him as a first round pick right now because he hasn't looked the part on the field. I've heard comparisons to Terrell Owens, but at best his upside is probably Hakeem Nicks. Maybe a late first rounder. Not an elite, top 10 type talent.
I would compare him more to Brandon Marshall than Terrell Owens. I think you are underestimating his potential. He could just as easily end up the #1 WR after this year as he could the #5.

Royster sucks and would have been at best a 3rd round pick if came out this year, likely lower.No way a mediocre senior rb will go in the top 10 in a stacked class like 2011 should be.
Ben Tate anyone? Like it or not RBs will always go high in fantasy drafts. While I don't think Royster is a difference maker type of RB, I think with a good year and the right team drafting him that it could happen. That being said Tate went so high because it is a weak class. I would expect Royster to go lower than him for sure.

rodgers needs to put on some serious bulk before he get anywhere close to this list
He is pretty bulky for his weight already.
This guy is "bulky"?http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/a...izz-rodgers.jpg
He's 5'7" and almost 200 lbs.. that's fairly bulky.For comparison,

MJD in the NFL; http://wsoesports.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/zjones.jpg

JacquizzRodgers; http://www.dailycal.org/photos/20081125/10...WISSMATH-01.jpg

This guy is "bulky"?http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/a...izz-rodgers.jpg
:sarcasm: I wouldn't go so far as to say Jacquizz is bulky. MJD who is the same height as Jacquizz at 5'7 is bulky at 208 pounds. Jacquizz on the other hand is listed at 191 pounds, and college teams have a tendency to list players at a heavier weight as opposed to a lighter weight as well.

I'd say Jacquizz has decent thickness for his size, but he's most definitely better off by putting on more weight as far as fantasy football is concerned.

At this point Locker is a better athlete than QB. That doesn't mean he won't eventually become a dominant pro, but I think it's a mistake to equate athletic talent with FF upside at the QB position. Most of the best guys there are middling athletes (Brees, Brady, Manning). As I've said before, playing QB in the NFL is all about chucking the rock. Everything else comes second. That said, Locker is an elite physical specimen and most people felt he would've been a top 5 pick this year if he had declared. He will most likely be a very high draft pick next year barring a nightmare season on the gridiron.
I agree with everything you say. I just believe that Locker will have an excellent season and show that he is more than just an athlete and can chuck the rock. I think NFL scouts will drool at the upside, see the potential of a weapon, and fall in love with the intangibles. I think that will lead the fantasy community to have more faith in him than Bradford. But he still may go lower in rookie drafts because the RBs and WRs in this class are not deep.

Uh, yea. The guy is extremely heavy for his height and he has a monster lower body.Very similar to Ray Rice and MJD in that regard. If he checks out at 200+ pounds and runs well at the combine like MJD and Rice then I think he can potentially be a second round pick. Slow times and/or low weight could affect his stock.

Next years receiving class is just sick. 4 potential #1 WRs if they all declare.

For me, AJ Green tops this list. Followed by Baldwin, Jones, and Floyd.

Ryan Williams is too low.
Where would you place him and who would you bump down? It's entirely possible he is too low, it's also a very deep class.
Sam Bradford went #1 overall and his ADP for rookie drafts is around 10 or 11 in a weak class. I expect Locker to improve a lot, but QB's dont go that high in dynasty rookie drafts, especially in a deep year.
Daniel Thomas KState RB.... :shrug:
The next RB on my list, but to repeat, I feel this year is just that deep.
Tough to say. Of those players you listed, I have not really focused on all of them (break down their game). I have watched in detail Williams, Ingram, Jones, Floyd, and Luck. I have passively watched Jacquizz Rodgers, and do not think his game translates well to the pros.Receiver will be deep, and right now Floyd and AJ Green are neck and neck, IMO.

Uh, yea. The guy is extremely heavy for his height and he has a monster lower body.Very similar to Ray Rice and MJD in that regard. If he checks out at 200+ pounds and runs well at the combine like MJD and Rice then I think he can potentially be a second round pick. Slow times and/or low weight could affect his stock.
Seems to be a lot of debate on Rodgers. Can't wait to break down a couple of his games.

I like Shane Vereen more than most. I think he can put on a little more weight. He redshirted 2007. They split him wide a fair amount in

he got a ton of carries after Best went down. Not as explosive as Best or as shifty, but still fast (runs Cal track) with good vision and can break arm tackles. Over his last 4 games, all against bowl teams, he put 566 rushing yards on 108 carries (5.2 ypc) with 6 tds. I think with a 1300 yard season, he could go in rounds 2-3, with his combination of inside running, good speed and good hands. This is conditional on his 5'10", 198lb listing being legit. I think it is, because he looked similar in size and stature to Best last year.

Next years receiving class is just sick. 4 potential #1 WRs if they all declare.For me, AJ Green tops this list. Followed by Baldwin, Jones, and Floyd.
It will be interesting to see if it develops. Ususally, an injury, non-declartion, performance or simple closer scrutiny will take one or two out of the elite range. Also, the annual RB or two that no one cares about now who becomes a top 5 pick in next year's fantasy draft will keep it from 4 WR in top 5 in PPR.

I think there are several interesting RBs who are currently not receiving much attention. I believe these guys will be much more valued by NFL teams come next April (draft time) and the fantasy community will then jump on board. I'm not waiting that long, as most are all bigger RBs with the skill set to potentially become NFL feature RBs.

1. Jamie Harper Clemson - Former 5-star recruit now has the gig all to himself at Clemson.....should blow up this year!

2. John Clay Wisconsin - Big bruiser RB with nimble feet not in the mold of former Badgers Ron Dayne or P.J. Hill....he's better than them

3. Allen Bradford USC - Nice size/speed/power combo with very low mileage since he's been a part of RBBC his entire college career

4. Brandon Saine Ohio St. - Heavily underutilized at "The Ohio St. U" with the athleticism NFL teams covet

College homers chime in with your thoughts!

ETA: Yeah, I know Frosh. Dillon Baxter is lighting it up in the Spring for USC.....that will just keep the wear on Bradford's tires very low, which is enticing to me for NFL prospects.

You do realize that Jones was playing injured the 1st half, possibly more, of the year last year. He was far more explosive in the later portion of the season. I'm not nearly as high as some on Jones. As a matter of fact I've said before that he is a guy I really need to see more from this up coming year. I think you are being over critical. Jones is a guy that undoubtedly has 1st round ability. He isn't just living off a high school reputation. I question if he has top 10 or 15 ability though. Like I said, I need to see more.

Psst...that picture was from almost 2 years ago now...that is an eternity for still developing college players.

Also, what do you think of Terrelle Pryor?

After his dominating performance in the Rose Bowl last season and with the amount of returning starters, I foresee a great season by him, with a possible run at the Heismann race, a-la Vince Young's senior year. If he makes a strong run at the Heismann and decides to come out next year, where do you see him? I don't think many teams would want to pass on a 6'6" QB that can run as fast as he can, if he has any skill at passing whatsoever.

Psst...that picture was from almost 2 years ago now...that is an eternity for still developing college players.

After his dominating performance in the Rose Bowl last season and with the amount of returning starters, I foresee a great season by him, with a possible run at the Heismann race, a-la Vince Young's senior year. If he makes a strong run at the Heismann and decides to come out next year, where do you see him? I don't think many teams would want to pass on a 6'6" QB that can run as fast as he can, if he has any skill at passing whatsoever.
Teams pass on these skills all the time @ the QB position.

I could see a team trying him @ another postion, just not QB.

Teams pass on these skills all the time @ the QB position.

I could see a team trying him @ another postion, just not QB.
I don't think Pryor will amount to anything in the NFL at QB. If he is willing to try his hand at WR or TE, I don't see how he doesn't end up a very high pick. I know the Matt Jones experiment failed miserably, but you can bet at least one GM will pull the trigger again.

The guy with this body type but is a passer first is Jerrod Johnson at Texas A & M.

The better QB is in the 2010 class (Bradford), but there are more good options possibly coming out in 2011 (Luck, Locker, Mallett - in that order right now).

There are three WR's in the 2011 class on par with Dez Bryant's talent level (Floyd, Green, Baldwin - in that order), DeAndre Brown could be, and EBF's comparison of Julio Jones:Arrellious Benn is spot on.

Jacquizz Rodgers is going to be a great back, Ingram and Williams could be, I need to watch more Daniel Thomas but I like what I've read and what little I've seen, and Devine shares some similar traits to McCluster. I don't get why Royster gets any love though, he's a career backup talent.

Expect a lot more out of the 011 class than the 010 one.

Baline Gabbert, QB MIZ

he's your prototypical size guy, with good arm strength and good accuracy. while i'm no fan of guys coming from a spread offense, i can see NFL teams taking a good long look at him because of his size (6'5", 240).

with a solid season, he should find his way in to the mid first to high second round. although i do think he'll enter the draft with a 1st round grade, it's simply a matter of teams needing QBs.

Baline Gabbert, QB MIZhe's your prototypical size guy, with good arm strength and good accuracy. while i'm no fan of guys coming from a spread offense, i can see NFL teams taking a good long look at him because of his size (6'5", 240).with a solid season, he should find his way in to the mid first to high second round. although i do think he'll enter the draft with a 1st round grade, it's simply a matter of teams needing QBs.
I like him more than the 2nd best in the 2010 class too, I'd like to see him without Danario though, he developed a hell of a case of tunnel vision last season.

There are three WR's in the 2011 class on par with Dez Bryant's talent level (Floyd, Green, Baldwin - in that order)
I don't know about that. All of those guys have first round potential, but at this juncture I don't consider any of them can't-miss prospects like Crabtree or Bryant. I think next year's class will be more about depth than marquee talent.

I heard that Clay from Wisconsin is up to 270 lbs now. He is rehabbing an injury and it is not good weight.

There are three WR's in the 2011 class on par with Dez Bryant's talent level (Floyd, Green, Baldwin - in that order)
I don't know about that. All of those guys have first round potential, but at this juncture I don't consider any of them can't-miss prospects like Crabtree or Bryant. I think next year's class will be more about depth than marquee talent.
I forgot to add 'at this time last year,' I think Floyd and Green are already there while Baldwin and Brown could be but have some questions needing answering. Obviously Julio could too, but given how his believers feel about him I guess I'd be categorized as a doubter. He has the potential, but his fan club seems to have their blinders on about the flaws he's displayed on the field.

People always talk about Julio's raw talent, but I don't really see it on the field. He's not particularly explosive and I don't think he has the playing strength of your typical big-bodied possession WR.
Interesting...I watch every game he plays and I think his explosiveness and strength are his best attributes.
I think his biggest weaknesses are timing and concentration.

Users who are viewing this thread