What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

They called my bluff (or I called theirs?).  Cancellation date came without any offers from them so I followed through with my cancellation and returned all my equipment.

Loving YoutubeTv.  Only negs are no Comedy Central and HBO but there's other ways to get that.  Same with NFL games.  And for the money I'm saving compared to their "retail" rates?  No brainer.  Good riddance, DirecTV.  

By the way, YoutubeTV ACTUALLY works on mobile and I can see my DVR away from home, so that's a nice bonus.
You actually called the retention number after it was cut off and they still didn't offer you anything? 

They called my bluff (or I called theirs?).  Cancellation date came without any offers from them so I followed through with my cancellation and returned all my equipment.

Loving YoutubeTv.  Only negs are no Comedy Central and HBO but there's other ways to get that.  Same with NFL games.  And for the money I'm saving compared to their "retail" rates?  No brainer.  Good riddance, DirecTV.  

By the way, YoutubeTV ACTUALLY works on mobile and I can see my DVR away from home, so that's a nice bonus.
DirecTV does as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two phone calls, chatbox, and I'm still getting nowhere. This isn't quite the experience it once was. Time to think hard about alternatives. Current bill is around $415/month for TV, mobile and internet.

Two phone calls, chatbox, and I'm still getting nowhere. This isn't quite the experience it once was. Time to think hard about alternatives. Current bill is around $415/month for TV, mobile and internet.
jesus man that sounds super high, My DTV and internet doesn't even crack $175.  Cancel and call the winback number if you want something decent.    the old days of calling and saying the wife wants to cancel if you don't give me stuff seems to be over.

mozzy84 said:
jesus man that sounds super high, My DTV and internet doesn't even crack $175.  Cancel and call the winback number if you want something decent.    the old days of calling and saying the wife wants to cancel if you don't give me stuff seems to be over.
DTV is about $160 (includes NFL Ticket). Internet is $40. Cell for two persons is $215 (includes paying off two phones so that expense will go away soon).

So i fussed a little bit and customer retention transferred me to "VIP" customer service. Just another layer to try to get to. Got $35 off/month, free Ticket for rest of year, and a $200 GC. Good but not great. But I'm in for another 12 month contract. Who knows what we'll do next year. 

Long post, but a "success" story...

Background: Aside from a 2-year stint with Comcast, I've been with Directv for 20+years. Haven't been under a contract for several years. My channel package is the Xtra ($125/mo., includes most channels with the exception of premium movies). One main receiver and 2 wireless Mini-Genie receivers for the bedrooms. I also have Netflix and just signed up for Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ package for $12.99/month.

Every year for about the past 10, I've made the call to have promotions applied to not pay full-price for the service. I speak to a retention agent and nicely but firmly ask to have my bill lowered to keep me happy. I always do my homework to see what promos DTV and Comcast are offering. DTV typically offers me $40 off/month for 12 months, and occasionally will throw in Sunday Ticket. I'm good with this routine to save some bucks, and to keep from having to switch services/billing/equipment.

Last month, I had my roof replaced and decided not to have my dish remounted there. The day the roofers showed up, I signed up for a trial of YoutubeTV. Pretty nice, as it had most of what I watched. Then I tried Hulu Live TV. Less channels than YoutubeTV, but about the same for me. I decided that could live with either one for the going rate of $49/$45 per month, vs my $140/monthly DTV bill.

I called Directv to set up cancellation, and said "cancel service" at the voice prompt. I was ready to pull the plug, and told the agent my reasons for doing so (since I already had the streaming service set up and running, it made my decision pretty easy). She was very customer service-oriented, and asked why I was leaving after so many years. I explained that it was basic economics, and cited the pricing of the two streaming services above. I was ready to cut the cord.

But then I had a thought: if DTV could match the streamers' offer, and remount my dish on a pole at no charge, I'd stay. So I flat out pitched that idea to her. She said that my offer would be no problem, and offered me $60/month pricing for my current channels for a year, and free re-mounting of my dish on a pole. Nothing out of pocket for me. I asked for the remainder of Sunday Ticket, but she said she wouldn't be able to (no biggie for me, as I usually watch the Sunday games in the background while I'm tooling around the house anyway. ST is usually just a throw-in for me, as I've had it off & on for years and never paid for it). Best of all: no new contract.

The day of the installation, the technician called 10 minutes before he was scheduled to show and asked if the underground lines had been marked ("Call Before You Dig"). They hadn't been, so he said he couldn't do the install. I called back and rescheduled (after complaining some, I got a one-time $20 credit applied for "no-show" of tech.) The rescheduled installation tech a few days later showed up without a mounting pole (another phone call from me yielded a 2nd one-time $20 credit). The 3rd installer got it right, installed a new dish where I requested in my side yard in a very good subtle location; he also provided & buried the cable inside some PVC-type protective pipe at my request. Since I had free Youtube, then Hulu, I never missed a beat from being able to watch any shows.

So for the next 12 months, I'm paying about half of what my bill typically would be without any promotions. The missed installs were a pain to deal with, but I intentionally scheduled them when I was planning on being home all day to do some work anyway.

Bottom line: if you're not under contract, and are prepared to actually leave DTV, you hold the cards. Be firm but nice & professional when talking with the cancellation/retention agent, and tell them what you're looking for. They can usually take care of you.

Good luck!

Background: Aside from a 2-year stint with Comcast, I've been with Directv for 20+years. Haven't been under a contract for several years. My channel package is the Xtra ($125/mo., includes most channels with the exception of premium movies). One main receiver and 2 wireless Mini-Genie receivers for the bedrooms. I also have Netflix and just signed up for Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ package for $12.99/month.

Every year for about the past 10, I've made the call to have promotions applied to not pay full-price for the service. I speak to a retention agent and nicely but firmly ask to have my bill lowered to keep me happy. I always do my homework to see what promos DTV and Comcast are offering. DTV typically offers me $40 off/month for 12 months, and occasionally will throw in Sunday Ticket. I'm good with this routine to save some bucks, and to keep from having to switch services/billing/equipment.

Last month, I had my roof replaced and decided not to have my dish remounted there. The day the roofers showed up, I signed up for a trial of YoutubeTV. Pretty nice, as it had most of what I watched. Then I tried Hulu Live TV. Less channels than YoutubeTV, but about the same for me. I decided that could live with either one for the going rate of $49/$45 per month, vs my $140/monthly DTV bill.

I called Directv to set up cancellation, and said "cancel service" at the voice prompt. I was ready to pull the plug, and told the agent my reasons for doing so (since I already had the streaming service set up and running, it made my decision pretty easy). She was very customer service-oriented, and asked why I was leaving after so many years. I explained that it was basic economics, and cited the pricing of the two streaming services above. I was ready to cut the cord.

But then I had a thought: if DTV could match the streamers' offer, and remount my dish on a pole at no charge, I'd stay. So I flat out pitched that idea to her. She said that my offer would be no problem, and offered me $60/month pricing for my current channels for a year, and free re-mounting of my dish on a pole. Nothing out of pocket for me. I asked for the remainder of Sunday Ticket, but she said she wouldn't be able to (no biggie for me, as I usually watch the Sunday games in the background while I'm tooling around the house anyway. ST is usually just a throw-in for me, as I've had it off & on for years and never paid for it). Best of all: no new contract.

The day of the installation, the technician called 10 minutes before he was scheduled to show and asked if the underground lines had been marked ("Call Before You Dig"). They hadn't been, so he said he couldn't do the install. I called back and rescheduled (after complaining some, I got a one-time $20 credit applied for "no-show" of tech.) The rescheduled installation tech a few days later showed up without a mounting pole (another phone call from me yielded a 2nd one-time $20 credit). The 3rd installer got it right, installed a new dish where I requested in my side yard in a very good subtle location; he also provided & buried the cable inside some PVC-type protective pipe at my request. Since I had free Youtube, then Hulu, I never missed a beat from being able to watch any shows.

So for the next 12 months, I'm paying about half of what my bill typically would be without any promotions. The missed installs were a pain to deal with, but I intentionally scheduled them when I was planning on being home all day to do some work anyway.

Bottom line: if you're not under contract, and are prepared to actually leave DTV, you hold the cards. Be firm but nice & professional when talking with the cancellation/retention agent, and tell them what you're looking for. They can usually take care of you.

Good luck!
I did this. Got no offers.  Wasn't planning on getting it cut off or keeping off, but I'll do it if I get no offers when I get the boxes on the mail and call back. 

Good luck!
This is my story as well almost exactly. I told them what it needed to be at and the guy made it happen. My current bill is $30/month. I'll do the same thing next year. I have no problem switching to YTTV if it doesn't work.

Several asking about the 'process' of playing their game. In general, you need to:

1. Call to disconnect and listen to their spiel then politely decline. If not under contract, set up cancellation for first available date if you plan to stay with them. Better offers don't become available until the account is in a 'disconnected' status. If it's waiting to be canceled, they call that 'pending disconnect' and offers are limited.

2. On disconnect date, watch for confirmation e-mail. It usually comes in around 4 AM Central Time on the actual disconnect day.

3. WAIT 24 HOURS MINIMUM before you call. This is important and can help you get better offers. For some reason, you have to wait until the following day to call 'winback'. Much better offers should be available. If you call before that, you also run the risk of them reconnecting your account to generate offers then disconnecting it again wiping those offers away like what happened to me and several others. I would advocate waiting 48 hours to call.

4. Call one of the many 'winback' numbers offered up on here. A few to try right away are 888-333-0804, 410-919-2969 and 855-407-4780. Be aware if you are an older DTV customer, the 410 number might not have your information. Do not call the regular customer service line because it's almost entirely devoid of English speakers who will understand what you are asking for and with your account in a disconnected status, they can't do anything anyway.

5. Tell them you canceled but then got a call from this number advising you to call back or you got an e-mail saying "Come back to DTV" with that number. It doesn't matter if you did or not, they will never validate it. If by some rare chance, the person questions you or says no you didn't, just hang up and call back and say the same thing. It will work eventually.

6. Tell them whatever story you want to fit the narrative. You canceled due to price, only have DTV for Sunday Ticket, etc. This gives them a platform on which to sell you. The typical good 'winback' offer they give is 40-50% off monthly package price, free Sunday Ticket Max, free HBO/Cinemax/Starz for 3-6 months, free reconnection and a $200-300 Visa gift card w/ one year contract commitment. If you aren't offered all of these things or their equivalent, politely decline.

DirecTV has offers available via what they call 'loyalty hearts' which is a rating system from 1-5 based on length of time you've had their service, package you paid for before discounts and number of AT&T products you have. The higher any of these are, the more 'loyalty hearts' you will have and the better offers they will make to keep you. For example, I was told that as a 15-year customer with only DirecTV Choice package and no paid add-on's besides the occasional boxing PPV fight here and there I had 3/5 loyalty hearts. That was enough to get me the standard winback offer above. If I had a higher package or more services like internet or cell w/ AT&T, my hearts would be higher and it would be easier to get the best deals. Anyone below three hearts will have a tough time. I only know this because a rep was talkative while I was waiting for her to check something - I don't think she was supposed to share that with me because when I mentioned it to her supervisor, he stuttered and stammered and didn't want to acknowledge that I was right but did.

7. If you decline an offer from #6, just keep calling back and saying the same thing until they bite. Eventually it should work. I would highly advise to not play around with these guys and think "well this is as good as it's gonna get". Almost always, it's not. They count on consumers like us not knowing our understanding that the offers being given are lowball ones.

8. If all else fails and you have to have Sunday Ticket, you can submit a formal complaint to the Office of the President of AT&T here and submit a BBB complaint here. There are several e-mail addresses floating around out there for executives but I haven't found one that is confirmed. These are more extreme routes but will get you a response. If any company - even one as large as AT&T - doesn't respond to a BBB complaint, it goes against their accreditation and shows up on the BBB website as a non-response. Too many non-responses can make them lose the accreditation. The company gets the complaint 1-5 calendar days after you submit it and the business has 30 calendar days to respond.

If going this route, remember to be factual in your summary. Stuff like "YOUR COMPANY IS TOO *$@%ING EXPENSIVE" or "I DESERVE FREE SUNDAY TICKET" or similar won't get you very far. Lay out facts and state that others I know of with similar tenure, packages, etc. have gotten the aforementioned 'winback' offer so I am respectfully requesting the same. You can also note any poor experience with their CS teams which you might have because they are aplenty.

It's a headache but it's the system they have in place so we play their game. Best of luck to everyone still working the system and congrats to those who have successfully hunted down their deal for this upcoming year.
I'll bump this again, too. 

Has anyone using ATT internet go any good deals with Internet 1000 bundled with TV package? I've only got 300 and would love to try out the faster internet. 

Well looks like I'm jumping back in the pool. The wife can't stand Spectrum and I have no interest in AT&T.

I'm going to try a couple of the numbers and I'll report back. I've been without DitrecTV since April when I moved and couldn't have it, hoping to get some type of winback deal. Best they would do online chat today was $95/mo for the Xtra package and a $100 GC

Hoooooly ####. Just spent an hour on the phone trying to sign back up. Got cut off last weekend and called the 888 number to get a new deal but what a freaking headache and drawn out process.  I'll get into the details later but this is what I got.  $96/month

Internet 300

Xtra Package 

$100 credit to my account. 

$100 gift card

3 months movie channels 

Late in the season so I didn't bother bringing up Sunday Ticket.  No idea why but they're sending out a technician to the house next week for internet and satellite. I told them I never got the internet cut off and the satellite receiver is still hooked up like it was before, but they seemed to have no idea what that meant.??? No charge for a tech tk come out but no idea why they need to come back again. 

Well looks like I'm jumping back in the pool. The wife can't stand Spectrum and I have no interest in AT&T.

I'm going to try a couple of the numbers and I'll report back. I've been without DitrecTV since April when I moved and couldn't have it, hoping to get some type of winback deal. Best they would do online chat today was $95/mo for the Xtra package and a $100 GC
Called Friday around 3ish, spent a half hour trying to understand the woman got all the way through to setting up an install...... Said she was having computer problems and would call me back in 15-20 minutes........ No call, shocking I know. Sunday I called back and no record of my call... :lmao:  

Got someone I could actually understand and she was quick and to the point, was set up in about 15 mins. Shockingly she honored the deal I told her I was offered. Xtra, 2 TV's for $80/mo, $200 GC, HBO for a yr. Not great but I can live with it

I dropped them officially this year after a roughly 15 year run - initial offer was meh and I had just had it with them, didn't feel like going through the motions again... Figured I'd give a streaming service a shot. Playstation Vue on a Fire device is TERRIBLE! Not bad on Apple TV devices, but man, huge downgrade. 

I'm gonna drop Vue next month and switch to another, either Sling or Youtube TV most likely. I'll update the experience, but on my first streaming service go round, sadly DTV>>>>>>>Playstation Vue.

Oh, and ####### DirecTV keeps sending me bills for unreturned equipment. I took my antiquated garbage over to the UPS Store per their instructions, have a tracking number, yet 2 months later, still, they keep sending me notices for $200. I've called and prob donated 2 hours of phone time with these #######s and nobody can do anything. If I wind up in collections for this, I'm suing them for like $12 Gazillion dollars. 

Who was it here that filed a report with BBB and where there any specific instructions with that? I think it’s time. 

The whole process is so confusing now. Hard to even find on your account what your signed up for.   Right now, it says I have $170 credit on my account.  - $42 due on December 25.  

Final agreement last week. 

$96/month 

Xtra Package 

Internet 300

3 months of movie channels. 

$100 credit to account 

$200 gift card. Already got the email and claimed the card. 

So late in the season. Didn't ask for The Ticket 

Really is getting to be a big hassle to deal with each year, but I'm willing to make an hour phone call once a year for the deal.  TV and internet is worth $100 a month to us. 

Well this is an interesting development. I recieved a text from AT&T this evening stating that they are signing me up for Sunday Ticket for 2020 at no additional cost. Seems too good to be true so I'll be sceptical until I see proof in my account. 

Well this is an interesting development. I recieved a text from AT&T this evening stating that they are signing me up for Sunday Ticket for 2020 at no additional cost. Seems too good to be true so I'll be sceptical until I see proof in my account. 
Just got the email and came here to check if that's something they've done before. Pretty psyched if true:

Watch the upcoming 2020 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET on us!

’Tis the season for giving, and we’d like for you to have the 2020 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET on us because we appreciate you being a loyal DIRECTV® customer.* So, here’s to you and another captivating season from the comfort of your couch.

There’s nothing you need to do besides sit back and enjoy the 2020 season on DIRECTV

I wonder how/why they are choosing who gets it.  Been with them since 1997, but haven't seen an email like that.

Just called after credits fell off my bill so my bill is now close to triple what it was. No credits available at this time. Guess it's time for a change or to set up a cancellation date and see if they contact me with any discounts.

These guys are unbelievable.

I did the disconnect and re-sign up dance a few months ago and got a similar deal to most here. Included in that was 3 months free of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etc. That promotion was expiring so I called to have that movie package cancelled as I wasn't willing to pay the regular price for it. Waited on hold forever and the guy I ended up talking to took an inordinate amount of time processing things but in the end it seemed everything was fine.

That was yesterday. Today I get a call from someone at AT&T / DirecTV retentions asking me if I could share with them why I had cancelled my service etc. The woman on the line had a pretty thick accent and I wasn't thinking of my call the previous day so I assumed she must be asking about my previous cancellation a few months back. I explain that I had cancelled the service a few months ago but accepted a retention offer to come back. She is confused and asks me to verify some info saying she cannot find a current account in my name on her end. I log in to my directv account online to retrieve the account number for her and sure enough these dumb f--ks had cancelled my entire account. I explain to her that I had only wanted to cancel the movie package and she puts me on hold. She returns and is happy to tell me she can restore my previous promotional pricing but that I would need to commit to a 2 year contract (where there was none previously). What. The. ####. Of course I refused and they are currently "investigating" what can be done. A total joke.

I think Im finally going to disconnect.

Wife insists on keeping a "home phone" line.  ATT its $30 for pretty basic stuff.  Im sure I need new equipment and adjustments too, but service has been spotty in most any rain storms...and my Genie DVR seems to screw up once a month (typically on a sporting event I am not home in time for the start so I record it and then the whole damn thing is messed up...skipped the first half of something the other day so I could get "live" and not deal with it).

Combine that with the decrease in customer service lately...and that they simply won't renegotiate my home phone or internet prices...its just not worth keeping direct and haggling every year.

Not a fan of comcast...but have found a better deal from them and already have a good router (and a friend who is selling me a modem he got accidentally) so Im going to end up saving about $40 per month with the same basic services.  And have Redzone (well, Ill add that $10 per month in the football season) but no Sunday Ticket (Packers seem to be on TV enough for me anyway...or I can just stream and cast it to my TV when they aren't)

Just wanted to offer a warning:

I got a call a couple weeks ago from someone offering Starz/Showtime for 3 months and getting a $50 gift card to cover the cost.  I normally hate promotions like this but figured I'll take the channels for 3 months over winter.

Just got our bill and realized I hadn't gotten any notification about the card so I just called customer service.  Apparently some people in sales are making these calls and not notating the gift cards and so they are having to escalate all of this.  The channels were removed and I'll be getting a refund, but just letting you guys know if you get that call I would pass on the offer.

Users who are viewing this thread