What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, WAS (1 Viewer)

(Rotoworld) ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini thinks the Jets may limit the amount of deep passes Ryan Fitzpatrick attempts. Analysis: OC Chan Gailey mentioned the team had taken a lot of unsuccessful deep shots in recent weeks, and Cimini interpreted that to mean they will focus more on short passing moving forward. That switch could help Fitzpatrick, who is 4-for-32 on passes which cover at least 25 yards in the air this season. Fitzpatrick has struggled since injuring his thumb, but perhaps an offensive shift can get him back on track.

Rotoworld:

GM Mike Maccagnan confirmed Thursday that he would like to re-sign impending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

This surprises exactly no one, as Fitzpatrick's career 2015 guided the Jets to within a whisker of the playoffs. With Geno Smith a failed prospect and this year's quarterback class even more riddled with questions than usual, Fitz is all but guaranteed of returning to New York. Reporter Rich Cimini expects a deal to be struck before free agency. The Jets, who are expected to use the franchise tag on Mo Wilkerson, would be in great danger of losing Fitzpatrick if he reached the open market. A quarterback-starved league would likely be willing to overpay.

Source: ESPN New York

The Jets, who are expected to use the franchise tag on Mo Wilkerson, would be in great danger of losing Fitzpatrick if he reached the open market. A quarterback-starved league would likely be willing to overpay.
Hoping the Rams sign him.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

GM Mike Maccagnan confirmed Thursday that he would like to re-sign impending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick.

This surprises exactly no one, as Fitzpatrick's career 2015 guided the Jets to within a whisker of the playoffs. With Geno Smith a failed prospect and this year's quarterback class even more riddled with questions than usual, Fitz is all but guaranteed of returning to New York. Reporter Rich Cimini expects a deal to be struck before free agency. The Jets, who are expected to use the franchise tag on Mo Wilkerson, would be in great danger of losing Fitzpatrick if he reached the open market. A quarterback-starved league would likely be willing to overpay.

Source: ESPN New York
I expect it'll happen too

He's played a long time for many different teams, he knows Marshall and Decker is a nice setup as is having the confidence of your coach

This is a very good read.

Good - Stuff... I've seen it before from almost anyone who actually studies and re-watches the games.

But, i live in a world where the majority of Jets fans are going to lose their #### if Jets don't pay this Shlump 13, 14, 15 Million a year...

Good - Stuff... I've seen it before from almost anyone who actually studies and re-watches the games.

But, i live in a world where the majority of Jets fans are going to lose their #### if Jets don't pay this Shlump 13, 14, 15 Million a year...
I have been blasted on here for saying the Jets would move forward much better with a franchise if they move on from Fitz sooner than later. They are stuck in limbo with him if they resign him to be their short term guy. 

They have no options. Forte is old. If they go with a rookie, they wasted money on Forte. They aren't great but they will stink without Fitz.

I don't what the problem is? Fitzpatrick must want some crazy money.
was listening on sports radio and said Jets lowballed him at something like 7mill / yr. With that offer its basically saying we don't want you back. or only want you back to groom first or second round pick.  Seems like Jets are ready to move on.  I can see both sides of that decision.

Problem with that is, they are set up to win now.  Gotta maximize those chances by keeping a QB who did very well for your team.  Not that I think Fitzpatrick deserves top 10 QB money, but gotta strike now.  Getting a guy like Forte is pointless if you take a major step backwards at QB, since he'll likely be done in a couple years.  I can't remember the Jets ever having this much talent at the skill positions, and it will all be for naught if they take a big step back at QB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem with that is, they are set up to win now.  Gotta maximize those chances by keeping a QB who did very well for your team.  Not that I think Fitzpatrick deserves top 10 QB money, but gotta strike now.  Getting a guy like Forte is pointless if you take a major step backwards at QB, since he'll likely be done in a couple years.  I can't remember the Jets ever having this much talent at the skill positions, and it will all be for naught if they take a big step back at QB. 
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. They have a playoff team now. They need Fitz pretty bad.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Broncos have checked in on free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick but consider him too expensive.
The Jets have also been reluctant to meet Fitzpatrick's high salary demands. The Broncos added Mark Sanchez to their quarterback mix on Friday but he's just a placeholder. Denver is hoping to land Colin Kaepernick though the 49ers are in no rush to trade him and if they do, Kaepernick has already said his preference is to play for head coach Hue Jackson in Cleveland. Until the Jets or Broncos increase their contract offers, Fitzpatrick will continue to play the waiting game.

Related: Broncos

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 13 - 9:50 AM

I see your point but I think the Jets might be thinking Fitz isn't the guy that's going to take them to the promised land.  He choked in the must win game in week 17 and that could be part of it. Agree signing Forte seems odd in the context of what's going on.  Maybe they think they can get another vet for cheap- someone like Mccown. Honestly i have no idea what their plan is.

This is quite the drama right now. Fitz knows the Jets need him for 2016. He knows he can get a pretty penny from them and I believe that is where he wants to end up....but, if the Jets continue to give him offers way under what he is looking for, I do believe he'll cash in with some other qb starved team. I think Fitz knows this is his last chance at a big contract/signing bonus, and it's hard to fault him for trying grab as much as he can to set up himself and his family for the rest of his life. 

My guess is the Jets pony up a deal with quite a bit of short term guaranteed money and Fitz signs. Is he the answer at QB? Hell no he's the definition of average, but the Jets offense is in for a world of hurt without Fitz. Also, I'd love to see Forte go out with a two year bang that cements himself as one of the best all around talents at the RB position in NFL history.  He deserves a ring, and it ain't going to happen with a rookie or a Kaep like QB. 

I don't think it's fair to say that Fitzpatrick choked in the must-win game 17 game.  The whole team was flat, and I put that on the coaching staff.  How the whole team comes out that flat for a "win and you're in the playoffs" game is beyond me. 

Some of those stats found in the film study are dubious. He ranks low in INTs i suppose but he had 15. the difference between him and the top QBs is around 5 INTs so lets not make it sound like hes horrible. Same for yards per attempt and QB rating. Its low but not terrible and actually pretty close to average.

Fitzpatrick's problem is that he will be 34 years old and if he starts he will be one of the 4-5 oldest starting QBs in football probably. THATS why i wouldnt give him big money.

Some of those stats found in the film study are dubious. He ranks low in INTs i suppose but he had 15. the difference between him and the top QBs is around 5 INTs so lets not make it sound like hes horrible. Same for yards per attempt and QB rating. Its low but not terrible and actually pretty close to average.

Fitzpatrick's problem is that he will be 34 years old and if he starts he will be one of the 4-5 oldest starting QBs in football probably. THATS why i wouldnt give him big money.

Bottom line... If you think (Like some are saying here) that the team is "Win Now" And "a playoff Team" - Then you have no problem paying a QB If you think he is good enough to make the playoffs and duplicate what he did last year... these QB deals are only really 2-3 deals anyway... Age has little bearing IMO.

Obviously they don't see him as a sure thing to duplicate last year. 

I also don't agree that this is a playoff team - or even that Forte money is wasted - They signed him to a good deal and needed a RB. Simple as that.

Last year's team overachieved with an easy schedule and now plays one of the toughest schedules...

As a Fan Who KNOWS Tannenbaum would have thrown 15 Mill + at Fitz on Day 1, I'm pretty happy to have a front office that Evaluates Talent, Sets a Value on what they see on tape and sticks to it opposed to jumping into the Frenzy.

Draft Well, Make smart Contract decisions and all this "Closing Window" talk is silly.... (especially for a team that is far from a lock as a contender anyway)

Draft Well, Make smart Contract decisions and all this "Closing Window" talk is silly.... (especially for a team that is far from a lock as a contender anyway)
How this team isn't a lock for at least contender status is beyond me. Did we not watch any of last year's games?

Anybody with Geno in their avatar, as pointed out ad nausea in the Jets thread is hardly a source for objective input into the Jets QB situation. It's like the fox telling the farmer what to do with the hens. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How this team isn't a lock for at least contender status is beyond me. Did we not watch any of last year's games?

Just saying,..... IF they, watched the games, and think this team is a contender and Fitz is a playoff QB then there is no reason not to pay him starter money for 2-3 years - Age shouldn't matter, you can still draft and groom a QB.

I think they watched the games last year tho. 

I have confidence in this Front office right now  - I think they built a nice offense for whoever starts at QB, unlike the prior few years... They had a good draft and IMO they are displaying good judgment in not rushing to Spend more than what they value a talent as.... Pretty sure they know exactly what Fitz is and what it's worth to them.. unlike prior regimes who would have caved in and delt with it later...

Good luck to your Giants

Users who are viewing this thread