What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (4 Viewers)

Was paying $180 for phone(I never even connected one), internet and TV.

I bought 2 OTA antennas and I had another one from years ago.

So we get roughly 30 channels over the air, including both versions (Baltimore & DC) of the local channels.

Amazon

Netflix

We get HBO go by (ab)using my parents code on our streaming devices but can live without it.

I'm saving about $100/mo. This way. (I included prime in my calculations. =p )
Which ones do you have? How do they rate?

Since this time last year, I dropped my landline and went to Ooma, dropped DirectTV for alternatives and dropped Sprint to move to Ting.

Before:

Landline - $35/mo

DirectTV - $160/mo

Sprint - $160/mo

$355/mo

Ooma - $5/mo

Hulu Plus - $8/mo

Amazon Prime - Free (I buy it for the shipping so the streaming is gravy).

Netflix DVD - $11/mo (a method to get movies that are currently showing on movie channels without doing PPV essentially)

Ting - $60/mo (3 lines)

$84/mo

$271/mo savings per month by using modern day alternatives to traditional utilities.
I am interested in your experience with Ting? Going this route based on my calculator would save me 200.00 per month on my Verizon bill alone!
I have Ting as well. If you've had Sprint in the past, you won't notice a difference at all.

I love Ting. 3 smartphones and average <>$70/mo

Someone told me this weekend I could possibly stream the NBC SN channel using a Chromecast. Soccer programming on NBCSN is the only thing keeping me in a cable contract. As far as I know, the NBC live streaming app is not available for ala carte purchase, but only accessible through a cable subscription that includes the channels.

Any ideas? tia
Use someones login to stream it. We currently use my parents :bag:
Don't worry...you and Em will have a place of your own someday so that you can get out of the parents basement....

Data caps are killing me. Amazon Prime doesn't give you the option not to stream in HD, so if I watch 4 hours of hd programming a day, I am well on pace to go over limits. What are the chances that companies increase the caps?

I need my game of thrones...how do I get that if I cut the cable?

Oh, my wife asked about fx...any ideas on that?

Last edited by a moderator:

youtube on fire (for both - I can't speak to everything on fx, but I can generally find any show I want there).

Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones were my biggest issues. I jumped back on cable bandwagon (no contract thankfully) to watch both this year. Such a waste of money. My hope, and there has been talk of this from HBO, that HBOgo will become a streaming option in 2015. What better time to launch it then before the next season of Game of Thrones (I can dream). Even if they don't, I am not going back. I just have to avoid spoilers from people. I can buy episodes of Walking Dead from amazon and they are available next day. And I will probably do MLB package again.

Anyone have any experience with Simple.TV? I searched this thread and saw a couple of inquiries but no owner experiences. Reviews looked mixed. I just ordered one from Woot for $105 shipped to give it a try. They are including the lifetime service subscription for no additional cost.

I already own one of Silicon Dusts dual tuners which I use to stream live tv to PC's and tablets in the house as well as provide the OTA signal source for recording tv shows with my HTPC NextPVR service. But it's not an ideal situation for several reasons. I like that the Simple.tv looks to integrate nicely as a Roku channel and also as a Plex channel. I'm hoping this will provide more simplified whole house access to OTA recorded programming and eliminate the annual fee I pay for a Schedules Direct Tv Guide subscription.

I already own one of Silicon Dusts dual tuners which I use to stream live tv to PC's and tablets in the house as well as provide the OTA signal source for recording tv shows with my HTPC NextPVR service. But it's not an ideal situation for several reasons. I like that the Simple.tv looks to integrate nicely as a Roku channel and also as a Plex channel. I'm hoping this will provide more simplified whole house access to OTA recorded programming and eliminate the annual fee I pay for a Schedules Direct Tv Guide subscription.
Do you know of any way to get the two bolded items above to talk to each other? If I could do that, lots of issues at my house could be resolved.

Do you know of any way to get the two bolded items above to talk to each other? If I could do that, lots of issues at my house could be resolved.
The problem is that the Hdhomerun passes through very large uncompressed HD stream that I don't think the Roku can handle. The Simple.tv adds in transcoding of the stream to make it easier to be handled downstream.

Do you have a Plex Media server running in the house? If so, then that integrates nicely as a Roku Channel. Then on Plex there's a 3rd party plugin called HDsurfer that will direct connect to the tuners. But setup wasn't for the faint of heart. I haven't messed with it in near a year so maybe installation is more streamlined now. Read more here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/83233-hdsurfer-plug-in-for-hdhomerun/

Bucks said:
matttyl said:
Bucks said:
The problem is that the Hdhomerun passes through very large uncompressed HD stream that I don't think the Roku can handle. The Simple.tv adds in transcoding of the stream to make it easier to be handled downstream.

Do you have a Plex Media server running in the house? If so, then that integrates nicely as a Roku Channel. Then on Plex there's a 3rd party plugin called HDsurfer that will direct connect to the tuners. But setup wasn't for the faint of heart. I haven't messed with it in near a year so maybe installation is more streamlined now. Read more here: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/83233-hdsurfer-plug-in-for-hdhomerun/
Man that looks cumbersome.

I would think there would be a huge market for something simply "plug and play" like this. That way it wouldn't matter where and how coax lines are run in your house or where you wanted to put a TV. You have your main coax running in the house (possibly split to handle cable based broadband internet and for TV) - and you connect it to a networked tuner that's attached to the home's wireless network. Then at each TV location you have something like a roku or a chromecast or something similar that could easily "talk" to the network tuner and stream anything from it without too many moving parts.

It would eliminate the need to purchase or rent equipment from your cable provider on a "per TV basis".

I recently got done fixing some things on my setup, so I thought I'd share some screenshots. I've got 3 boxes that run XBMC (now Kodi), and this is an addon called PseudoTV Live that really brings the whole thing together. The other components are a Silicondust HDHomerun Tuner, an OTA antenna, a media server with a ton of shows/movies, and a subscription to Schedules direct. This allows me to have my live channels and other custom channels from local and online media all in one program guide.

Live Channels

Custom Channels

It took a lot of work to configure all of it, but it really "feels" like having cable back, except with mostly stuff I actually want to watch.

Is there a reason that simply streaming the WatchESPN website through your laptop doesn't work? Hook it up to TV with an HDMI cord?

Seems to work for me so far.

I had never tried to use an outside antenna because I thought we were to far away to receive the signal.We are about 40 miles north of Orlando.However my neighbor installed one the last time he was down he invited me over to see and he gets about 40 channels including all the networks crystal clear.He is a snowbird and is only down about 4 months out of the year and only has one tv hooked up to the antenna.My question is could I disconnect the coaxial cable from the satelitte dish and then connect it to the outside digital antenna and get all my TVs to work without having to rewire?Man I so want to get rid of Direct TV.With Netflix and Hulu I very rarely use it.Thanks guys for the info.

rustycolts said:
I had never tried to use an outside antenna because I thought we were to far away to receive the signal.We are about 40 miles north of Orlando.However my neighbor installed one the last time he was down he invited me over to see and he gets about 40 channels including all the networks crystal clear.He is a snowbird and is only down about 4 months out of the year and only has one tv hooked up to the antenna.My question is could I disconnect the coaxial cable from the satelitte dish and then connect it to the outside digital antenna and get all my TVs to work without having to rewire?Man I so want to get rid of Direct TV.With Netflix and Hulu I very rarely use it.Thanks guys for the info.
Yes, this is exactly what I did.

Is there a reason that simply streaming the WatchESPN website through your laptop doesn't work? Hook it up to TV with an HDMI cord?

Seems to work for me so far.
Because you can only do that if you log in through your cable/satellite provider.
I must have some old "remember me" setting then. Because it works fine for me every time and I have no cable or anything. Can't recall logging in.

If I pay to get the MLB channel on the Roku3, will it black out my local team?

Overall, I'm trying to understand the benefit of the Roku3. Is it just to have all these things in one place? Doesn't seem like that much of a benefit, unless I'm missing something.

Overall, I'm trying to understand the benefit of the Roku3. Is it just to have all these things in one place? Doesn't seem like that much of a benefit, unless I'm missing something.
Yes, I believe you won't be able to watch your local team.

unblock-us.com
Right. I was just wondering if you could avoid that for some reason by using a Roku. Guess not. Bummer.

unblock-us.com
Right. I was just wondering if you could avoid that for some reason by using a Roku. Guess not. Bummer.
Device doesn't matter. Trust me, I've tried.

unblock-us.com
roku is a little hard to setup for unblockus from what I understand, however I've posted this comment in the past and users of roku say this is no issue.

mlb tv is such a great product. It takes out all the commercials. That's well worth the price to me. You miss the nookie girls and some of the other bits, but you get over it.

unblock-us.com
roku is a little hard to setup for unblockus from what I understand, however I've posted this comment in the past and users of roku say this is no issue.

mlb tv is such a great product. It takes out all the commercials. That's well worth the price to me. You miss the nookie girls and some of the other bits, but you get over it.
So did I read that you can watch "recorded" versions of your local games? So just on a delay of some length?

unblock-us.com

So did I read that you can watch "recorded" versions of your local games? So just on a delay of some length?
Yes. Available basically 15 min after game is over.

Only thing preventing me from doing it right now is the regional Fox sports channel that carries all the local hockey and baseball. Any workarounds there?
To get these it's an extra cost

you need the sports package mlb.tv or whatever you want

Then you setup a router behind your router that VPN or DNS to a different server. This masks your IP address and allows you to watch in market sports. Unblock.us and hidemya s s are the most popular.

I do this for MLB/Rangers. If you get the right promo package it's about a 6/month adder plus whatever it costs for the spots pack.
Would just using the Tor browser also accomplish this? Or will simply hiding your IP address not work? Do you actually need to have an IP address that originates from a different location?

MLB and Fox working on a deal to reduce streaming blackouts

Major League Baseball fans rejoice, broadcasts of your local team may soon be coming to your second screen.

MLB and television rights-holder Fox are reportedly working on a deal that could see 40 percent of all their streamed games be blackout-free. As it currently stands, subscribers to MLB.TV, the league’s online game streaming service, don’t get to watch their local teams. That means, for instance, a Red Sox fan living in Boston can only watch the game on television. It has been an issue for years but is becoming even more contentious as streaming becomes more prevalent. The new agreement would reduce those local online blackouts. Maury Brown of Forbes has the details.

“According to sources, the economics of the deal between MLB and Fox are in place, but challenges remain.
Reportedly, MLB Advanced Media (MLBAM) is seeking to control all the streaming of the games, while Fox also wishes to be in on the action. MLBAM, the digital media company of Major League Baseball, would offer the games on MLB.TV, which would require users to authenticate through their pay-TV provider. In essence, if MLB.TV could package the in-market games with the out-of-market games, there would be no reason for users to get these games elsewhere, such as through online services from Fox Sports. According to sources, that remains the sticking point.”
Though there may end up being an additional cost, the move would be a major boon to fans. Many television viewers are cutting their cable altogether in favor of online streaming services like Netflix. The same goes for sports fans who are flocking to streaming services like MLB.TV. But currently even a fan paying for access to a television network broadcasting their home team’s games cannot watch on a streaming service. Streaming services like MLB.TV can be used on computers, mobile devices, and even gaming consoles like a PlayStation. Why do cable networks insist on the online blackouts? Simply because of the massive amounts of money spent to secure those television broadcast rights. In 2012, Fox paid a reported $4 billion for an eight-year rights deal with MLB.

[Yahoo Sports Fantasy Baseball: Sign up and join a league today!]

The new report about a possible agreement comes on the heels of a New York appeals court decision to reject MLB’s antitrust exemption in a similar case about broadcast territories. Deadspin reports that MLB made several attempts to have the case thrown out to protect territorial broadcast rights.

“The fans suing MLB claim that the broadcast territories reduce competition because regional sports networks don't have to compete with each other to broadcast games in their local markets. They also argue that MLB has monopoly power over the rights to broadcast out-of-market games and it uses that power to limit out-of-market viewing to either Extra Innings or to MLB.TV. Without these restraints, the lawsuit says, regional sports networks would compete with each other to broadcast "out-of-market" games in other parts of the country, making games both more accessible and more affordable.”
If MLB and Fox can come to an agreement to limit the number of blackouts, it would be a good PR move, and the first step in avoiding these messy lawsuits.

Got Sling invite and trying it out now. Pretty nice.

As a big NBA fan, the available channels (ESPN1/2/TBS/TNT) is the big draw & worth the cost to me. I can see some thinking there needs to be more for $20 (if not a sports fan)

As a big NBA fan, the available channels (ESPN1/2/TBS/TNT) is the big draw & worth the cost to me. I can see some thinking there needs to be more for $20 (if not a sports fan)
Just get league pass. For near the same price you get every single game regardless of channel (with a proxy service of course). The condensed recaps (15 min or 5 min highlight pack) are fantastic as well. I'm home for lunch each day and can get 3 games in before heading back to work.

Just get league pass. For near the same price you get every single game regardless of channel (with a proxy service of course). The condensed recaps (15 min or 5 min highlight pack) are fantastic as well. I'm home for lunch each day and can get 3 games in before heading back to work.
Had it last year, decided against it this year because it lacked playoffs. I kinda prefer the variety of ESPN (NBA + college BBall.) Between TNT, ESPN, & ABC get 7-10 NBA games/week + NBA playoffs,. I don't think Sling will be for everyone but it's a start assuming good quality.

Read Playstation is having their own streaming TV service coming out (with a much bigger collection of channels) but I'm assuming it will come with a greater price tag.

I tried Sling and cancelled within an hour. I don't have Roku, and maybe the UX is better there, but iOS and Mac apps are pretty terrible. I streamed to AppleTV and picture quality was poor. Interface is overall confusing and clunky. Love that they're starting the wave of disruption of bundled cable, but for me this is not ready for prime time. I'll stick with U-Verse despite loathing AT&T until the concept and the experience collide.
Interesting.

I'll check it out when it gets on xbox one. It's going to be hard to keep me off sling for college football season unless the interface and blackouts are beyond awful

I have my internet with AT&T U-Verse. They sent me a request to add cable back for only an additional $19.99 a month. If I order online, I get $250 in Visa gift cards back. Adding in the taxes, subtracting the Visa gift cards, this gets me cable back for less than 10 bucks a month.

Poke holes in this theory please.

I have my internet with AT&T U-Verse. They sent me a request to add cable back for only an additional $19.99 a month. If I order online, I get $250 in Visa gift cards back. Adding in the taxes, subtracting the Visa gift cards, this gets me cable back for less than 10 bucks a month.

Poke holes in this theory please.
I did this. It's a solid deal but you have to hold the service for some period of time. This period can vary. You need to also make damn sure you get an email from them or something in writing that your cancel period is somewhere in the range you can live with.

With uverse though they make you pay for HD at $10/month and DVR rental at $10/month. They absolutely won't come off these fees no matter what.

I did the same "scam" for college football 2 seasons back. It worked well, but it took some time to get the cancel processed after the agreed period. They claimed I was on a 1 year contract, but I had all the docs saying that I just had to hold service for 6 weeks. I had it for about 4 months. Even after all the stupid fees I still came out ahead about $40 on the deal they had at that time. You also get the free skinemax and stuff like that during this period as well.

It took a while but I think I've finally found the best solution for me.

Cancelled Directv after 10 years and signed up with Time warner cable(ugh). I already had my internet thru that at $64.99/month for the ultimate(50/10) service. I moved to the triple play $89.99, knocked $100 off my monthly "media" bill and added home phone which we wanted so we can lower our cell phone bills and teach our kids how to use the phone(911 and all that)

Instead of using the TWC boxes and getting hit up for $10/box I bought a Tivo Roamio Plus and a few tivo minis. Initial setup is expensive but I pay $2.50/month to TWC for a cablecard that goes in the Tivo and thats it. I get all my channels at every TV I have a tivo mini. This setup is ideal for me because I have a bunch of TV's and a box at each TV gets expensive. I have a simple whole home DVR setup that works flawlessly. Initial up front cost sucks but the longterm savings are nice AND there's no easier user interface for wife/babysitter/in laws than Tivo, it's so easy to use.

When my 89.99 price expires in a year, i'll cancel for a day and then sign back up at the 89.99 price. I did this with my internet service every year so should be no problem with the triple play service.

I tried Sling and cancelled within an hour. I don't have Roku, and maybe the UX is better there, but iOS and Mac apps are pretty terrible. I streamed to AppleTV and picture quality was poor. Interface is overall confusing and clunky. Love that they're starting the wave of disruption of bundled cable, but for me this is not ready for prime time. I'll stick with U-Verse despite loathing AT&T until the concept and the experience collide.
Can other Sling users comment on picture quality? If this is the norm I won't even look into it.

It took a while but I think I've finally found the best solution for me.

Cancelled Directv after 10 years and signed up with Time warner cable(ugh).

When my 89.99 price expires in a year, i'll cancel for a day and then sign back up at the 89.99 price. I did this with my internet service every year so should be no problem with the triple play service.
Good luck on this with TWC. Your best bet will be putting it in your wife's name.

RBM said:
Can other Sling users comment on picture quality? If this is the norm I won't even look into it.
I have heard that the quality is directly tied to bandwidth. Could that have been an issue with Mr.Ham?

Users who are viewing this thread