What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (4 Viewers)

Is it possible to record from Tivimate premium onto a micro SD or USB drive on an older version Fire TV?
Or is the Fire Tv box just too old? (2015 version)

Streaming Live TV works quite well but the only way I can get it to record is to the internal storage which is pointless since it only has 3GB available
You could as long as you could get the drive to work with the Fire TV (I don't think it does, but not sure.) I have the NVDIA shield pro on my main TV that I do my recording on. I have a usb drive connected to it and it works very well on that other that if/when I have a buffering issue, which isn't very often.

sorry my original question was not very clear lol

I cannot get the drive to record with the Fire TV/tivimate

Fire TV will recognize the USB and the SD card but tivimate will not record to them.

Thanks for the info... might just have to switch to the shield pro

Is it possible to record from Tivimate premium onto a micro SD or USB drive on an older version Fire TV?

Streaming Live TV works quite well but the only way I can get it to record is to the internal storage which is pointless since it only has 3GB available
You could as long as you could get the drive to work with the Fire TV (I don't think it does, but not sure.) I have the NVDIA shield pro on my main TV that I do my recording on. I have a usb drive connected to it and it works very well on that other that if/when I have a buffering issue, which isn't very often.

Fire TV will recognize the USB and the SD card but tivimate will not record to them.

Yeah. No idea about your setup, but it does sound old. Did you use the System Picker in Tivimate? I had to use it to connect to an external drive on my Shield (Pro)

Last edited:

Yeah. No idea about your setup, but it does sound old. Did you use the System Picker in Tivimate? I had to use it connect and te odd to an external drive on my Shield (Pro)
Yeah, no matter which folder I try to send it to, either dosen't work or shows "systemdataerror" when trying to play recording

Yeah. No idea about your setup, but it does sound old. Did you use the System Picker in Tivimate? I had to use it connect and te odd to an external drive on my Shield (Pro)
Yeah, no matter which folder I try to send it to, either dosen't work or shows "systemdataerror" when trying to play recording
Weird. What format? FAT32 or NTFS? Leaning towards it being your Fire TV

To those who have cut...What do you miss/wish you still had?
Not a damn thing
I have nearly cut my cable 50 times. I actually did it for like a day. Then called back and got it back. Ive researched all the live tv streaming services. Even bought an antenna that picks up quite a few channels. Just can't do it. I like my dvr. The cost is silly though. Gonna try to be brave and take another shot and quiting it. Not now. But soon. Ha ha

Not a damn thing
I have nearly cut my cable 50 times. I actually did it for like a day. Then called back and got it back. Ive researched all the live tv streaming services. Even bought an antenna that picks up quite a few channels. Just can't do it. I like my dvr. The cost is silly though. Gonna try to be brave and take another shot and quiting it. Not now. But soon. Ha ha
What shows are important? I have Hulu live and we never DVR anything. You set your favorite teams and it records all games but for shows it basically just has most if not all seasons and you just watch whenever. Once you watch a show, they list when there’s a new show to watch in your continue watching area. Even on the Firestick home, it will remember shows in different apps, probably depending on the app interface to the Firestick.

Not a damn thing
What shows are important? I have Hulu live and we never DVR anything. You set your favorite teams and it records all games but for shows it basically just has most if not all seasons and you just watch whenever. Once you watch a show, they list when there’s a new show to watch in your continue watching area. Even on the Firestick home, it will remember shows in different apps, probably depending on the app interface to the Firestick.
Yeah agree. I feel like DVR is basically obsolete at this point.

Not a damn thing
I'm gonna do it. I can be brave. Cut the cord for good this time!!!! Ha ha

Ah for this question...you will get two answers depending on whether you're asking my wife or me.
I cut and went with Fubo. Mostly for the sports. I want my Tigers, Red Wings, and Fubo has bally sports. I'm fine with the change.
My wife however, doesn't like Fubo at ALL!!! She loved comcast and misses it. Lots and lots of on demand stuff, better setup, and Fubo can buffer a little too much.
Thankfully she was furious when we went to drop cable and not a single person seemed to care one iota. They were just like "oh well..buh bye" so her anger with them keeps Fubo and my sports in the house.

Slightly off-path here...but has anyone tried TMobile or Verizon's Internet service? I think they charge around $40/month. I've been thinking about giving that a shot because XFinity costs me now $106, but my main concern would be the quality/speed and not getting charges for streaming TV.
We switched to Verizon. And have no issues whatsoever. None. I think it was $35/month.

How is channel surfing on the services? That's the biggest thing. That would be such a huge adjustment for me cuz I surf like I'm Kelly Slater

How is channel surfing on the services? That's the biggest thing. That would be such a huge adjustment for me cuz I surf like I'm Kelly Slater
First of all, I am NOT a Fubo salesman so please. I'm answering from what I know.
Fubo has a good guide. Very similar to what you're used to with cable. You can favorite channels as well and put them on top so you see them first. No issue with the guide. What cable had(at least ours) that Fubo doesn't. Is when you selected a channel on the guide, without actually changing the channel, it would basically show you where in the show it was. Like a peek. Nice if you know a movie or whatever and know what;s coming up. Or if you wanted to check out a channel while a commercial was on, but wanted to avoid changing to another channel showing a commercial.

Tigers and Red Wings games
Being able to flip between 2 channels with just a button push
Agree on the first point. Can't wait until Amazon can take over the games from Bally's.
On the second point, if you have YouTube TV and Fire Cube/Stick, three clicks down on the remote to switch to last channel.
Have Hulu with fire stick and it doesn't work when trying to switch between Lions and Red zone, knocks me out of both and back to home screen

Weird. What format? FAT32 or NTFS? Leaning towards it being your Fire TV
FAT32, and agreed.

Tigers and Red Wings games
Being able to flip between 2 channels with just a button push
Agree on the first point. Can't wait until Amazon can take over the games from Bally's.
On the second point, if you have YouTube TV and Fire Cube/Stick, three clicks down on the remote to switch to last channel.
Not sure if it's rolled out to all platforms, but holding down the "ok" button should switch to last channel. I know it works on my roku TV as well as my standalone roku device.

Just a PSA - I bought a Chromecast 4k because I wanted Atmos streaming and it was the cheapest option.

It buffers way more than the Roku Stick+ ever did. I watch hockey on Hulu and the stuttering is enough where it's unwatchable. I will be returning it and likely getting a Roku Ultra.

Edit: Walmart has a Roku Ultra LT version that has nearly all the features and currently almost half the price. Ordered.

Last edited:
Not a damn thing
I have youtube tv and you can record unlimited amounts and it stays for a year. Way better than my direct tv dvr.

YTTV takes care of this for you. You can completely customize your guide.
  • Set your exact order the channels display in - for example put all of the sports channels at the top of the guide, then all of the news channels, or however you want to do it
  • You can also hide channels from guide entirely for ones you know you will never watch like shopping channels, foreign language channels, etc.
I feel like a YTTV salesperson at times too but it is exponentially better than DTV or cable in so many ways.

Last edited:

YTTV takes care of this for you. You can completely customize your guide.
  • Set your exact order the channels display in - for example put all of the sports channels at the top of the guide, then all of the news channels, or however you want to do it
  • You can also hide channels from guide entirely for ones you know you will never watch like shopping channels, foreign language channels, etc.
I feel like a YTTV salesperson at times too but it is exponentially better than DTV or cable in so many ways.
The only thing I miss about cable is having channel numbers you can punch in on the remote.. Having to scroll thru the guide to get to certain channels takes some getting used to.

Maybe 6 weeks in with YoutubeTV after 20 years with DIRECTV. Much easier transition than I expected. A few things I miss, dislike, or haven’t figured out:

• Miss channel numbers for easy flipping
  • Miss MLB network
  • I’m now in a weird MLB blackout situation that I didn’t have before. Makes no sense as a MLB.tv subscriber. MLB needs to get out of the dark ages.
  • Library/DVR still seems wonky, especially how it records all episodes and makes it tough to know what you haven’t watched.
  • Picture quality is sometimes off, especially live sports. Yellows and reds seem bright. Heck even greens as I see a Celtics highlight while I type.
  • Haven’t figured out if this is a YTTV, Roku, or Samsung setting, but when watching YTTV if I pause a show, seems like the time before shutoff is very short. And there’s no way to resume the show from the exact spot I was at.

Maybe 6 weeks in with YoutubeTV after 20 years with DIRECTV. Much easier transition than I expected. A few things I miss, dislike, or haven’t figured out:

• Miss channel numbers for easy flipping
  • Miss MLB network
  • I’m now in a weird MLB blackout situation that I didn’t have before. Makes no sense as a MLB.tv subscriber. MLB needs to get out of the dark ages.
  • Library/DVR still seems wonky, especially how it records all episodes and makes it tough to know what you haven’t watched.
  • Picture quality is sometimes off, especially live sports. Yellows and reds seem bright. Heck even greens as I see a Celtics highlight while I type.
  • Haven’t figured out if this is a YTTV, Roku, or Samsung setting, but when watching YTTV if I pause a show, seems like the time before shutoff is very short. And there’s no way to resume the show from the exact spot I was at.
Interesting. I’ve only had Hulu Live so far and the “library/DVR” is awesome on Hulu. I think because Hulu was or still is partially owned by Disney and other networks, they have tons of series where you can watch an ABC or Fox show from the beginning season. Some CBS and NBC as well although they have their own streaming so some stuff like every Survivor season may no longer be there. The current and past few are all there. What’s great is that you can have multiple profiles so it knows where I left off (which episode and how far into episode) with my shows compared with my wife even if we watch the same show. I also don’t have to “record” anything. When the new episode of a show I watch comes out, it’s first in line in my continue watching. Our Firestick also seems integrated into the other apps like Hulu where it’ll show a continue watching on the home page and open the appropriate app.

Users who are viewing this thread