What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meltdown in Japan's Reactors (2 Viewers)

Earlier Tuesday, TEPCO Vice President Sakae Muto said the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors at the plant suffered more damage than originally believed and will take more time to repair.
How many were killed by the radiation so far?
I don't know. How many babies drank contaminated milk?
none. no milk was contaminated.
the Japanese government disagrees with you.

Earlier Tuesday, TEPCO Vice President Sakae Muto said the No. 1 and No. 2 reactors at the plant suffered more damage than originally believed and will take more time to repair.
I can't tell the trick questions from the real ones in here anymore. Lots of master shticksmen in here I think.

Putting Numbers On Japan’s Radioactivity Risk

My story Sunday saying that the danger from radiation in Japan will remain small even if things at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant go horribly wrong generated a lot of response. What about reports that radioactivity had already gotten not only spinach and milk but also into the water supply?

Actually, no. The whole point is that the amount of radioactivity people outside the evacuation zone are exposed to is likely to be small, even if we include the amounts in food and tap water. Radiation at close enough range to cause radiation poisoning is deadly, but although all radioactivity increases the risk of cancer, the increases are much smaller than you might think.

Answer this: if you were standing a mile away from the atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima when it exploded, how much would your lifetime risk of cancer go up?

Just 0.3%, says David Brenner, Director, Center for Radiological Research at Columbia University Medical Center in New York. For a man the lifetime risk of cancer is 44%; for a woman, it’s 38%. Even being near an atomic bomb doesn’t hold a candle to the risk of smoking, which causes 180,000 cases of lung cancer in the U.S. each year, as well as other cancers including mouth, throat, stomach and pancreas.

When it comes to health problems caused by the disaster in Japan, the lack of medical care, food, and clean water could dwarf the long-term death toll from radiation.

“If you want to look at the big picture of how many people are dying, you wouldn’t be in the radiation story at all,” says Brenner.

How bad could it get in Japan? Right now, according to measurements released by the Japanese government, people outside the damaged reactor are receiving between 1 and 100 microsieverts per hour of radiation. That’s well within the safe range. People in the U.S. can get more than that from cosmic rays.

If the amount of radiation from the reactors went up 100-fold, to 10,000 microsieverts, it would still be a very low level, Brenner says. That’s still just 0.01 sievert. When the National Acadamies of Science issued a report on radiation safety, it estimated that a dose of 0.1 sievert – ten times that much– would increase the number of cases of cancer by 2,270 in a population of 100,000 people.

But it’s unlikely that levels in Japan will ever get that high. There would have to be a catastrophic meltdown, combined with a terrible explosion, combined with howling winds going in exactly the wrong direction to even have a chance of coming close. You’d also have to believe that further efforts to stop the disaster, like pouring concrete and sand over it in the case of a meltdown, would fail to stop the radiation.

The word “radiation” conjures up images of death rays that burn invisibly through the air. But the case here is more one of poisonous dirt and dust being caught up and spread. The radioactive isotopes that are the source of concern here just don’t travel that well.

When the Chernobyl reactor in the Ukraine melted down, an entire reactor with virtually no containment system exploded, spewing huge amounts of radioactive material into the air, where they were blown by the wind into habitable areas. This resulted in amounts of radioactive iodine (iodine-131) that were, Brenner says, “thousands of times greater” than could be the case in Japan. And then the Soviet government did not tell people about the accident for days, during which time children drank locally produced milk, which contained the radioactive iodine.

A recent study by researchers at the National Institutes of Health found that the median exposure in a group of children it followed was 633,000 microsieverts, or 63 times our worst-case guess that is 100 times the highest levels in Japan aside from those heroic people who are trying to deal with the catastrophe at the reactor.

People shouldn’t eat food that has tested positive for radioactivity, Brenner says. But the fact that the food is being tested means they have the chance to not consume it, which will further reduce the risk of harmful radioactivity.

My initial reaction to the news of the catastrophe at the Fukishima Daiichi plant was that if Japan, with its focus on earthquake readiness, couldn’t keep its plants safe then maybe we shouldn’t be building nuclear power plants. But the reality seems to be that the risk from radiation is far less scary than most people think it would be. Science fiction movies and comic books haven’t given people a very clear perspective on what radioactivity actually is. Here’s another numerate perspective on this risk, from the comic strip xkcd.

The reality is that the biggest dangers to people in Japan are more mundane: lack of clean water, food, shelter, and medical care. Here is a link to the Red Cross.
:shrug:

the Japanese government disagrees with you.
no. you disagree with me.

So we're still at zero radiation deaths. How about radiation injuries?
Do the ones from Hiroshima count?

Environmental activist George Monbiot:

You will not be surprised to hear that the events in Japan have changed my view of nuclear power. You will be surprised to hear how they have changed it. As a result of the disaster at Fukushima, I am no longer nuclear-neutral. I now support the technology.

A crappy old plant with inadequate safety features was hit by a monster earthquake and a vast tsunami. The electricity supply failed, knocking out the cooling system. The reactors began to explode and melt down. The disaster exposed a familiar legacy of poor design and corner-cutting. Yet, as far as we know, no one has yet received a lethal dose of radiation.

Some greens have wildly exaggerated the dangers of radioactive pollution. For a clearer view, look at the graphic published by xkcd.com. It shows that the average total dose from the Three Mile Island disaster for someone living within 10 miles of the plant was one 625th of the maximum yearly amount permitted for US radiation workers. This, in turn, is half of the lowest one-year dose clearly linked to an increased cancer risk, which, in its turn, is one 80th of an invariably fatal exposure. I'm not proposing complacency here. I am proposing perspective.
Edit to add his comments on the xkcd chart
Logic and facts don't come into play amongst the folk I know. They hear nuclear and insist it's scary and dangerous. Here's hoping other folk aren't like them.
I mentioned this guy to my dad. He immediately said this guy was paid off. :thumbup:

somewhere between 10-20 so far.

Environmental activist George Monbiot:

You will not be surprised to hear that the events in Japan have changed my view of nuclear power. You will be surprised to hear how they have changed it. As a result of the disaster at Fukushima, I am no longer nuclear-neutral. I now support the technology.

A crappy old plant with inadequate safety features was hit by a monster earthquake and a vast tsunami. The electricity supply failed, knocking out the cooling system. The reactors began to explode and melt down. The disaster exposed a familiar legacy of poor design and corner-cutting. Yet, as far as we know, no one has yet received a lethal dose of radiation.

Some greens have wildly exaggerated the dangers of radioactive pollution. For a clearer view, look at the graphic published by xkcd.com. It shows that the average total dose from the Three Mile Island disaster for someone living within 10 miles of the plant was one 625th of the maximum yearly amount permitted for US radiation workers. This, in turn, is half of the lowest one-year dose clearly linked to an increased cancer risk, which, in its turn, is one 80th of an invariably fatal exposure. I'm not proposing complacency here. I am proposing perspective.
Edit to add his comments on the xkcd chart
Logic and facts don't come into play amongst the folk I know. They hear nuclear and insist it's scary and dangerous. Here's hoping other folk aren't like them.
I mentioned this guy to my dad. He immediately said this guy was paid off. :thumbup:
Any reason why? I think the author is spot on. Look, the reactor was built 40 years ago. The technology is much better and much safer in today's nuclear power plants than they were back then. Just think about the advancement in safety we've employed in cars. Or the innovations we've seen in computers. Or defense. We've come a long long way, baby. Nuclear power in and of itself is the safest, most efficient way to power the globe. We have new technology to make them safer. The Japanese disaster will not stop the Chinese, the Indians or even the UAE to suddenly stop with their construction and planning. Hopefully it causes more emphasis on saftey, but to abandon it entirely in favor of coal is foolish and far more dangerous long term to the quality of the earth's air. This guy is spot on. Have some perspective.

I hope this is shtick.

Any reason why? I think the author is spot on. Look, the reactor was built 40 years ago. The technology is much better and much safer in today's nuclear power plants than they were back then. Just think about the advancement in safety we've employed in cars. Or the innovations we've seen in computers. Or defense. We've come a long long way, baby. Nuclear power in and of itself is the safest, most efficient way to power the globe. We have new technology to make them safer. The Japanese disaster will not stop the Chinese, the Indians or even the UAE to suddenly stop with their construction and planning. Hopefully it causes more emphasis on saftey, but to abandon it entirely in favor of coal is foolish and far more dangerous long term to the quality of the earth's air. This guy is spot on. Have some perspective.
I think because the 'experts' on Fox News have screamed we're all going to die he's now convinced the Japanese government is of course lying and because some experts said there is danger, it's impossible to listen to the experts saying it's a much smaller concern than we fear. I've finally convinced him nobody has died...but he throws back the "just wait" card.

I've finally convinced him nobody has died...but he throws back the "just wait" card.
So you lied to him?...cuz I just read that 10-20 have died. :shrug:
Link?Also, it no longer matters to him. As soon as I started mentioning some info from the post St. Louis Bob posted on the last page, he did what he always does when he realizes he has an opinion that is backed up with limited to no facts. Which is to say he got frustrated and loudly said "I don't want to argue about this. I don't care." He really is an overgrown child sometimes. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with anyone. If you're going to state an opinion to others, have the courage to discuss it like a grownup.

I think the author is spot on. Look, the reactor was built 40 years ago. The technology is much better and much safer in today's nuclear power plants than they were back then. Just think about the advancement in safety we've employed in cars. Or the innovations we've seen in computers. Or defense. We've come a long long way, baby. Nuclear power in and of itself is the safest, most efficient way to power the globe. We have new technology to make them safer. The Japanese disaster will not stop the Chinese, the Indians or even the UAE to suddenly stop with their construction and planning. Hopefully it causes more emphasis on saftey, but to abandon it entirely in favor of coal is foolish and far more dangerous long term to the quality of the earth's air. This guy is spot on. Have some perspective.
I can buy into this. But 81% of the worldwide reactors are over 20 years old with the largest number of reactors at 27 years old. How does the world transition from the old to the new?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've finally convinced him nobody has died...but he throws back the "just wait" card.
So you lied to him?...cuz I just read that 10-20 have died. :shrug:
Link?Also, it no longer matters to him. As soon as I started mentioning some info from the post St. Louis Bob posted on the last page, he did what he always does when he realizes he has an opinion that is backed up with limited to no facts. Which is to say he got frustrated and loudly said "I don't want to argue about this. I don't care." He really is an overgrown child sometimes. That's one of my biggest pet peeves with anyone. If you're going to state an opinion to others, have the courage to discuss it like a grownup.
I made that up. :mellow:

Not sure why many of you continue to try and make this about immediate deaths. We are about 10 days into this accident. If people are going to die, it will likely be from radiation sickness or cancer. Neither are going to show themselves instantly from such an event. Additionally all of this talk about the radiation levels being 100X above all the regulations, but still very safe need to take into consideration that inhaling said radiation particles is very bad. This is why these levels are as stringent as they are. Let's see how this thing unfolds. I still expect this plant to be covered in sand and concrete, a giant perimeter established for no residence and an even bigger place where crops are not allowed to be grown. And although I hope I am wrong, I do think there will be deaths from the workers that bravely fought this in the trenches.

Not sure why many of you continue to try and make this about immediate deaths. We are about 10 days into this accident. If people are going to die, it will likely be from radiation sickness or cancer. Neither are going to show themselves instantly from such an event. Additionally all of this talk about the radiation levels being 100X above all the regulations, but still very safe need to take into consideration that inhaling said radiation particles is very bad. This is why these levels are as stringent as they are. Let's see how this thing unfolds. I still expect this plant to be covered in sand and concrete, a giant perimeter established for no residence and an even bigger place where crops are not allowed to be grown. And although I hope I am wrong, I do think there will be deaths from the workers that bravely fought this in the trenches.
I recognize the fact there may be long term consequences. But let's face it - you and numerous others have cried chicken about so many potential disasters that didn't happen most of the rest of us are now a tad skeptical.

Sorry dude, but you absolutely do expect the worst, and it is never based on the facts, it's one paranoid opinion after another. The "legal" limits for exposure are extremely conservative guidelines. For instance, even these cows producing irradiated milk are still safe but cautiously, and properly so, to protect people even from minor exposure will be fine, they aren't going to die from exposure. It's a fact that even this contaminated spinach could be eaten 4 or 5 times by an indivdual with zero negative health affects, short or long term. Again, the biggest risk is the iodine, which dissipates exteremely fast, the only concern being consumption that could result in throid problems. You haven't read, or at the very least comprehended any freakin thing other than panic mode whacko reactionary nonsense. You think there will be deaths from the workers? Based on what? Your own paranoid delusions? Because that is all you have to go on here. Do you really beleive these workers, being rotated in and out aren't being tested, and are on some suicide mission? And being allowed to do so?

A "giant" perimeter? What does that mean? This still hasn't come close to being another Chernobyl, but, I am now convinced you want it to be all that and worse. Really. I do. You are so delusional, you not only fear the worst, but on some freaky level, wish it to be. Yer freakin nuts man. Really. You don't hope you are wrong at all. Just look at the crazy stuff you keep saying. Compare that to reliable data, which you keep ignoring, and ... oh what's the use. You are the guy on the street corner with the sign that says "The end is near! Repent!" And there isn't any talking sense to that guy either. He WANTS to be crazy.

Read somewhere a few days ago that a bunch of the "experts" that have been popping up on CNN, MSNBC, FOXN, etc, are actually members of anti-nuke groups but that the networks haven't been identifying them as such. Nice. Good to see at least some sanity in here amongst the intentional fear mongering going on.

a very good interview of an expert regarding what the engineers are facing here:http://www.counterpunch.org/takashi03222011.html
Your expert has a degree in oil painting and decent talent as an artist that he's supplemented with a career as a writer, primarily as an ill-informed anti-nuclear author. He has no true expertise on the topic. The article names his most popular book (Nukes for Tokyo or something), but it cannot be found online. However, 1000 sites running your article naming his favorite book (as if it makes him credible) dominate search engines on the topic. He's a nuke hater with lawsuits against the Japanese nuke industry in his past. It's a lame interview with a hack regarding things he's not qualified to discuss.

a very good interview of an expert regarding what the engineers are facing here:

http://www.counterpu...hi03222011.html
Your expert has a degree in oil painting and decent talent as an artist that he's supplemented with a career as a writer, primarily as an ill-informed anti-nuclear author. He has no true expertise on the topic. The article names his most popular book (Nukes for Tokyo or something), but it cannot be found online. However, 1000 sites running your article naming his favorite book (as if it makes him credible) dominate search engines on the topic. He's a nuke hater with lawsuits against the Japanese nuke industry in his past. It's a lame interview with a hack regarding things he's not qualified to discuss.
:own3d:

If someone is going to die from immediate exposure (not cancer), it would generally be within a few days of that exposure.Dieing of cancer as a result of exposure is differant. As links above have pointed out, that risk is MUCH smaller than is generally assumed by the public. More, that risk is assumed over a 20 year period. IE: EVen if it gave you cancer, that cancer might not show up or make an impact for 15 years. Yet, environmental sampling to this point shows very minimmal risk to the general population. Some of the workers have certainly raised their own risks, perhaps as much as 10%. Lifetime cancer risks are already in the upper 30's/low 40's. Statisticaly, that means of the 150 workers who got significant doses, 40-45 workers will die of cancer in the next 20 years, instead of the 35-40 it would have been.I'm sorry for those few, but even that estimate is conversative to the negative side. Those few deaths in the wake of the massive earthquke and tsunami are insignificant in the bigger picture. How many more people died as a result of inadequate care cause in part by irrational fear of radiation??????

The Japanese should bring in Brownie to fix things. He has served as FEMA Director AND has judged Arabian horses.

a very good interview of an expert regarding what the engineers are facing here:

http://www.counterpunch.org/takashi03222011.html
I hate when this stuff happens. There are whole networks of "news" sites which just copy and paste the same content from each other without any actual facts backing it up. It seems especially egregious with regard to anything political.

I'm sorry for those few, but even that estimate is conversative to the negative side. Those few deaths in the wake of the massive earthquke and tsunami are insignificant in the bigger picture. How many more people died as a result of inadequate care cause in part by irrational fear of radiation??????
For further perspective, 115 people were killed over the last five years in coal mining accidents.
what does that have to do with anything? Who is arguing that coal mining is more or less dangerous than nuclear accident in Japan?

Link?A handful of pages ago everyone in here was telling me about all the radiation-caused deaths. When I asked for a link it turns out there weren't any.

I hope this is shtick.
This whole thread is full of shtick, but I think it's incredibly ironic how much alarm is being raised here and elsewhere when a mere 55 years ago we were responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths by radiation and felt justified for doing it.

I think the author is spot on. Look, the reactor was built 40 years ago. The technology is much better and much safer in today's nuclear power plants than they were back then. Just think about the advancement in safety we've employed in cars. Or the innovations we've seen in computers. Or defense. We've come a long long way, baby. Nuclear power in and of itself is the safest, most efficient way to power the globe. We have new technology to make them safer. The Japanese disaster will not stop the Chinese, the Indians or even the UAE to suddenly stop with their construction and planning. Hopefully it causes more emphasis on saftey, but to abandon it entirely in favor of coal is foolish and far more dangerous long term to the quality of the earth's air. This guy is spot on. Have some perspective.
I can buy into this. But 81% of the worldwide reactors are over 20 years old with the largest number of reactors at 27 years old. How does the world transition from the old to the new?
You have to believe the safety measures at the older reactors do what they were designed to do and continue to build newer reactors that are safter today than they were 20-40 years ago. IMO, the answer is not to abandon all nuclear power. It's to learn and improve the designs and if possible, find a way to make the older models safer. Here we sit freaking the freak out about what's potentially going to happen over there, but how many of you raise the same stink about the number of people who will die of cancer this year due to exposure at coal mines?

You have to believe the safety measures at the older reactors do what they were designed to do and continue to build newer reactors that are safter today than they were 20-40 years ago. IMO, the answer is not to abandon all nuclear power. It's to learn and improve the designs and if possible, find a way to make the older models safer. Here we sit freaking the freak out about what's potentially going to happen over there, but how many of you raise the same stink about the number of people who will die of cancer this year due to exposure at coal mines?
People make a choice to work in a coal mine, people don't usually choose to get exposed to radiation

People make a choice to work in a coal mine, people don't usually choose to get exposed to radiation
That's a fair and valid counter point, but I would also like to point out that people who live near coal powered plants have also dealt with increased cancer rates.
The State of Delaware has confirmed a link between a coal-burning plant and an increase in cancer among exposed residents. The Delaware News Journal reports that years after citizen activists first asked the state to investigate the problem, the Delaware Division of Public Health has finally confirmed what the activists suspected: There's a cluster of cancer cases near a coal-burning plant, the state's worst polluter.

'General Malaise said:
'Sheriff66 said:
'General Malaise said:
That's a fair and valid counter point, but I would also like to point out that people who live near coal powered plants have also dealt with increased cancer rates.
The State of Delaware has confirmed a link between a coal-burning plant and an increase in cancer among exposed residents. The Delaware News Journal reports that years after citizen activists first asked the state to investigate the problem, the Delaware Division of Public Health has finally confirmed what the activists suspected: There's a cluster of cancer cases near a coal-burning plant, the state's worst polluter.
crosby69 WAY out of his element here.

link

Good news

Japanese officials struggling to contain the worst nuclear accident in the country's history say they believe the situation has now stabilised.

More than 300,000 people living in the area have been told they can leave their homes but there is still a 350-metre "exclusion zone" around the plant...

But officials say radiation levels outside the plant have now returned to normal, and local residents are no longer at serious risk.
Precautions necessary
Officials told residents caught out in Thursday evening rain showers to wash their clothing and said locally grown vegetables should not be eaten.
Bad news
More than 30 workers at the Tokaimura plant are thought to have been exposed to radiation. Two are in a critical condition and are expected to be given bone marrow transplants.

The victims include builders who had been working at the plant, people who live nearby and firemen who helped in the rescue.

Human error

Officials said workers had caused the accident at the plant by pouring too much uranium solution into a tank.

link

Good news

Japanese officials struggling to contain the worst nuclear accident in the country's history say they believe the situation has now stabilised.

More than 300,000 people living in the area have been told they can leave their homes but there is still a 350-metre "exclusion zone" around the plant...

But officials say radiation levels outside the plant have now returned to normal, and local residents are no longer at serious risk.
Precautions necessary
Officials told residents caught out in Thursday evening rain showers to wash their clothing and said locally grown vegetables should not be eaten.
Bad news
More than 30 workers at the Tokaimura plant are thought to have been exposed to radiation. Two are in a critical condition and are expected to be given bone marrow transplants.

The victims include builders who had been working at the plant, people who live nearby and firemen who helped in the rescue.

Human error

Officials said workers had caused the accident at the plant by pouring too much uranium solution into a tank.
threw me for a loop for a minutePublished: Friday, October 1, 1999

'Otis said:
'Fennis said:
'Otis said:
'Fennis said:
Link?A handful of pages ago everyone in here was telling me about all the radiation-caused deaths. When I asked for a link it turns out there weren't any.
link to someone in this thread telling you their were deaths?At least 15 Japanese hospitalized with radiation poisoning: http://en.rian.ru/world/20110313/162978555.html

There have been more.

Last edited by a moderator:
link

Good news

Precautions necessary
Bad news

Human error

threw me for a loop for a minutePublished: Friday, October 1, 1999
:bag: nm

'Chaos Commish said:
'David Dodds said:

http://www.counterpu...hi03222011.html
David = :own3d:

Users who are viewing this thread