What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homeland (2 Viewers)

And to think, following last season this was the show Sepinwall used as an example of how kids didn't have to be worthless characters who only annoy like they are in most shows.

never seen a show spiral out of control quicker than Homeland. Dexter was solid for a few years before the tailspin, same for Sopranos and Oz.

I literally lol'd when Chris ran to the TV to play the game; after all the jokes on Chris from the media, couldn't they have edited these snips out of the episodes?

Saul thing makes no sense at all, they are trying to tie him to the murder of the prison chick, but Saul has the biggest freaking trump card ever! He knows about the DRONES, why the f didnt he bring it up to have some real leverage on Estes?

and they make the CIA into a gov't agency that doesnt have to follow the constitution, if Saul wanted he could have had an attorney present within the day or demand to be released.

Carrie finding the hidden tunnel really made this show into 24. And I love how only one person was left from the search team at the exact moment they found the passageway and the radio conspicuously wasnt working anymore. Then right after Nazir is abouuuut to kill Carrie, a whole squad come running in....but they were never called on the radio and they didnt hear Carrie's screams, so why exactly did they come running in like someone called them?

I dont mean to nitpick but the show has clearly reached the end of whatever creative prowess was heaped on it and its just a run of the mill show from now on.
:confused: What shows do you like? I'd love to nitpick everything in these shows. They are fantasy for a reason. As far as Saul, I'm sure he'll use the drone stuff eventually. And I think after the last few years, we do know the CIA doesn't really need to follow the Constitution. Additionally, as they said, they were just polygraphing him which I assume is SOP for the CIA especially when they did have a decent amount of crap on him like Eileen killing herself with his stuff. I'm sure he could have asked for a lawyer present but he knew what it was about.

As far as the action scene, I have yet to see a movie/show where this doesn't happen. Heck, the show actually took a turn b/c usually the cavalry arrives right after the fight is over. What if the cops in the Dark Knight saw Harvey Dent throw the kid off the building? What if John McClain didn't think about the Federal Reserve where all of a sudden, no cops were around and there was plenty of gold? Those movies wouldn't really be movies then.
1. This show is not "fantasy".2. I didn't realize "Homeland" was in the same category as Batman and Die Hard.
So Homeland is reality? Is this based on Seal Team 6? And what category would you put it in? Again, please name some good shows so I can acquire these tastes.
Game of Thrones is fantasy. That word shouldn't come up when discussing Homeland.Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Mad Men

Louie

Girls

Breaking Bad

And even Thrones, which IS fantasy, is more believable than Homeland.
Breaking Bad is the perfect counterexample. The problems and scenarios the characters face there are even crazier than in Homeland, but you very rarely find yourself feeling like something is ridiculous (with the exception of the plane thing) or a cheap way out. You can tell the writing staff takes pride in problem-solving in the realm of the possible and believable There's some suspension of disbelief ("magnets, #####!), but it almost always at least seems plausible.This is different. If you're going to give them a pass for EVERYTHING because it's not "reality" and therefore doesn't need to be believable, you can eliminate every possible conflict easily by applying the same standard. Why can't Nazir escape by joining a passing circus that the CIA lets parade through the area during the lockdown? Why can't Carrie get rid of her serious mental and emotional issues by adopting a super cute puppy? Why can't Saul find his way back into good graces of Estes by seducing him?

If your answer is "because those things are ridiculous and stupid and could never ever happen in a million years"... well, now you get the criticism.
As you mention, Breaking Bad requires you to accept some ridiculous scenarios as well. Perhaps they do a better job at making them plausible than Homeland which is probably made worse by Danes/Lewis having to act out of character but my main point is that all shows are based on this suspension of disbelief. Now I agree that Homeland has jumped the shark and I also questioned earlier if it was possible for this show to keep it up. That answer is a resounding NO. I'm right there with the people wondering how Abu Nazir can get back in the country and why he goes after Carrie by himself. How they FBI can lose track of a helicopter is beyond me. But questioning why Carrie found Nazir with only one of the SWAT agents. That happens in just about every show/movie where there is a scene between the antagonist/protagonist before the antagonist is disposed of. If you are going to watch a show and complain about that, then you are that guy who watches a movie and complains about everything. And if the show is that bad, I'm not sure why people will continue to watch. I'll watch for the cheap thrills and a decent plot but people expecting the Wire are going to be disappointed and just annoying after a while.

'sporthenry said:
'TobiasFunke said:
never seen a show spiral out of control quicker than Homeland. Dexter was solid for a few years before the tailspin, same for Sopranos and Oz.

I literally lol'd when Chris ran to the TV to play the game; after all the jokes on Chris from the media, couldn't they have edited these snips out of the episodes?

Saul thing makes no sense at all, they are trying to tie him to the murder of the prison chick, but Saul has the biggest freaking trump card ever! He knows about the DRONES, why the f didnt he bring it up to have some real leverage on Estes?

and they make the CIA into a gov't agency that doesnt have to follow the constitution, if Saul wanted he could have had an attorney present within the day or demand to be released.

Carrie finding the hidden tunnel really made this show into 24. And I love how only one person was left from the search team at the exact moment they found the passageway and the radio conspicuously wasnt working anymore. Then right after Nazir is abouuuut to kill Carrie, a whole squad come running in....but they were never called on the radio and they didnt hear Carrie's screams, so why exactly did they come running in like someone called them?

I dont mean to nitpick but the show has clearly reached the end of whatever creative prowess was heaped on it and its just a run of the mill show from now on.
:confused: What shows do you like? I'd love to nitpick everything in these shows. They are fantasy for a reason. As far as Saul, I'm sure he'll use the drone stuff eventually. And I think after the last few years, we do know the CIA doesn't really need to follow the Constitution. Additionally, as they said, they were just polygraphing him which I assume is SOP for the CIA especially when they did have a decent amount of crap on him like Eileen killing herself with his stuff. I'm sure he could have asked for a lawyer present but he knew what it was about.

As far as the action scene, I have yet to see a movie/show where this doesn't happen. Heck, the show actually took a turn b/c usually the cavalry arrives right after the fight is over. What if the cops in the Dark Knight saw Harvey Dent throw the kid off the building? What if John McClain didn't think about the Federal Reserve where all of a sudden, no cops were around and there was plenty of gold? Those movies wouldn't really be movies then.
1. This show is not "fantasy".2. I didn't realize "Homeland" was in the same category as Batman and Die Hard.
So Homeland is reality? Is this based on Seal Team 6? And what category would you put it in? Again, please name some good shows so I can acquire these tastes.
Game of Thrones is fantasy. That word shouldn't come up when discussing Homeland.Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Mad Men

Louie

Girls

Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad is the perfect counterexample. The problems and scenarios the characters face there are even crazier than in Homeland, but you very rarely find yourself feeling like something is ridiculous (with the exception of the plane thing) or a cheap way out. You can tell the writing staff takes pride in problem-solving in the realm of the possible and believable There's some suspension of disbelief ("magnets, #####!), but it almost always at least seems plausible.This is different. If you're going to give them a pass for EVERYTHING because it's not "reality" and therefore doesn't need to be believable, you can eliminate every possible conflict easily by applying the same standard. Why can't Nazir escape by joining a passing circus that the CIA lets parade through the area during the lockdown? Why can't Carrie get rid of her serious mental and emotional issues by adopting a super cute puppy? Why can't Saul find his way back into good graces of Estes by seducing him?

If your answer is "because those things are ridiculous and stupid and could never ever happen in a million years"... well, now you get the criticism.
As you mention, Breaking Bad requires you to accept some ridiculous scenarios as well. Perhaps they do a better job at making them plausible than Homeland which is probably made worse by Danes/Lewis having to act out of character but my main point is that all shows are based on this suspension of disbelief. Now I agree that Homeland has jumped the shark and I also questioned earlier if it was possible for this show to keep it up. That answer is a resounding NO. I'm right there with the people wondering how Abu Nazir can get back in the country and why he goes after Carrie by himself. How they FBI can lose track of a helicopter is beyond me. But questioning why Carrie found Nazir with only one of the SWAT agents. That happens in just about every show/movie where there is a scene between the antagonist/protagonist before the antagonist is disposed of. If you are going to watch a show and complain about that, then you are that guy who watches a movie and complains about everything. And if the show is that bad, I'm not sure why people will continue to watch. I'll watch for the cheap thrills and a decent plot but people expecting the Wire are going to be disappointed and just annoying after a while.
Oof

'sporthenry said:
'TobiasFunke said:

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Mad Men

Louie

Girls

Breaking Bad

I disagree. I'm willing to accept things like Nazir getting back in the country or losing track of a helicopter as elements to drive tv/movie plots. Nazir going after Carrie by himself and particularly going in with only one of the SWAT officers I don't accept because it was just poor, lazy writing. TV/movie contrivances I can accept. Lazy writing I cannot.

Might be a spoiler, but someone from another forum said what was in store for the Finale

PredictionsBrody goes inside and reveals the fact that he is in fact Abu Nazir. Chris looks on in shock, Dana starts blabbering on about terrorists and such, and Jessica takes off her clothes in a fit of rage. Brody decapitates Chris with a sword. Dana goes off and hits someone with a car.That person turns out to be Estes, who is actually working for Saul. In the biggest plot twist of the season, Estes is revealed to actually have Saul's beard on. Quinn interrogates the beard, only to find out Estes has already escaped. Quinn leaves the beard there, and the beard, feeling abandoned, tries to kill itself. Dana arrives at the last minute, only to have Mike appear out of nowhere, revealing that he is in fact Dana. Dana, confused, hits Dana with a pipe and leaves the country.Carrie cries, then listens to jazz, only to find out the jazz music is actually Brody. Carrie has sex with the music, only to find out she is in fact Saul. The real Carrie arrives at the CIA with 16 grenades, intending to set all of them off in the interrogation room.Quinn, only recently revealed to have actually been Saul, eats all the grenades, realizes it isn't a good idea, and then dies. The grenades explode, revealing Abu Nazir rising out of the ground. Nazir walks to the beard, puts it on, and leaves.

Might be a spoiler, but someone from another forum said what was in store for the Finale

PredictionsBrody goes inside and reveals the fact that he is in fact Abu Nazir. Chris looks on in shock, Dana starts blabbering on about terrorists and such, and Jessica takes off her clothes in a fit of rage. Brody decapitates Chris with a sword. Dana goes off and hits someone with a car.That person turns out to be Estes, who is actually working for Saul. In the biggest plot twist of the season, Estes is revealed to actually have Saul's beard on. Quinn interrogates the beard, only to find out Estes has already escaped. Quinn leaves the beard there, and the beard, feeling abandoned, tries to kill itself. Dana arrives at the last minute, only to have Mike appear out of nowhere, revealing that he is in fact Dana. Dana, confused, hits Dana with a pipe and leaves the country.Carrie cries, then listens to jazz, only to find out the jazz music is actually Brody. Carrie has sex with the music, only to find out she is in fact Saul. The real Carrie arrives at the CIA with 16 grenades, intending to set all of them off in the interrogation room.Quinn, only recently revealed to have actually been Saul, eats all the grenades, realizes it isn't a good idea, and then dies. The grenades explode, revealing Abu Nazir rising out of the ground. Nazir walks to the beard, puts it on, and leaves.
:mellow:

Worst thing to happen to the show was Lewis winning the emmy and the producers thinking he was vital to the success of the show. Him lasting to the second season was fine as the early episodes showed. But he should have died midway through and Nazir should have continued to be the agencies nemesis.

Danes, Patinkin and the agency need to be the stars if the show is to have lasting power. The cat/mouse intrigue is what the show does best not a ludicrous romance that in any sane world would disqualify Carrie from continuing her job.

Worst thing to happen to the show was Lewis winning the emmy and the producers thinking he was vital to the success of the show. Him lasting to the second season was fine as the early episodes showed. But he should have died midway through and Nazir should have continued to be the agencies nemesis.Danes, Patinkin and the agency need to be the stars if the show is to have lasting power. The cat/mouse intrigue is what the show does best not a ludicrous romance that in any sane world would disqualify Carrie from continuing her job.
They should have killed off Carrie and just ran with Saul. I know I sound like a broken record but she is the worst main character on television.

Worst thing to happen to the show was Lewis winning the emmy and the producers thinking he was vital to the success of the show. Him lasting to the second season was fine as the early episodes showed. But he should have died midway through and Nazir should have continued to be the agencies nemesis.Danes, Patinkin and the agency need to be the stars if the show is to have lasting power. The cat/mouse intrigue is what the show does best not a ludicrous romance that in any sane world would disqualify Carrie from continuing her job.
Season two had already wrapped and I think was even airing when they won the Emmys.And yeah, the CIA is the center of the show, not a case the CIA is working. Making it the CIA allows to keep moving on to new story-lines when people get killed or sent to the joint.There's probably a good showbiz story to be told about what's gone on with this show from a creative standpoint. Somebody's probably pissed off somewhere and will talk eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should have killed off Carrie and just ran with Saul. I know I sound like a broken record but she is the worst main character on television.
dude, Carrie is not the problem; the writing for this season is the problem. Having her do Jack Bauer things and chase after her puppy terrorist lover is all on the writers, she is a fantastic actress and probably the best on TV today.

Worst thing to happen to the show was Lewis winning the emmy and the producers thinking he was vital to the success of the show. Him lasting to the second season was fine as the early episodes showed. But he should have died midway through and Nazir should have continued to be the agencies nemesis.

Danes, Patinkin and the agency need to be the stars if the show is to have lasting power. The cat/mouse intrigue is what the show does best not a ludicrous romance that in any sane world would disqualify Carrie from continuing her job.
dude, Carrie is not the problem; the writing for this season is the problem. Having her do Jack Bauer things and chase after her puppy terrorist lover is all on the writers, she is a fantastic actress and probably the best on TV today.
:lmao: Good one. You almost had me going there for a second.

She's not in the top 15 actresses on TV, but you're right, the writers suck.ETA: 15 is actually way too generous. And I liked My So-Called Life, Igby Goes Down, and the one about the autistic lady at CSU who wants to kill the cows nicer.

Danes, Patinkin and the agency need to be the stars if the show is to have lasting power.
They should do like American Horror Story and have a completely new story with an entirely different cast each season. (Except that Chris Brody could be like Jessica Lange, getting to reappear.)

So Carrie is a hostage of the biggest terrorist in the world for over a day - and nobody debriefs her? They just take her word for the "I escaped"?

The wife is always nice to look at, anyway. Glad she ditched that awful hairdo from S1.
The wife is a good actress.Interesting how Carrie is incapable of following orders. They tell her not to do something again. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY. And is right, and then they tell her not to do something. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY. And is right, and then they tell her not to do something. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY.
There was an all-time Carrie Face tonight after they searched the car and it was clean.
My link
Hfs :lmao:

Carrie may not be "the" problem but she certainly is "a" problem. Just awful character and acting at this point.

Think Danes is a fine actor and deserved all the acclaim she got after season one. Her win for Temple Grandin was well deserved too. The writing has been so bad this season I don't think you can put it on her.

They should just reboot the show and go back to the season one finale and have Brady set the bomb off. Better then continuing on this trajectory and getting laughed off the stage. They can reboot Spiderman every five years why not? It's a lame tv show at this point. Who cares. Reboot it and fix this mess and the fans will eat it up as long as the show delivers. :popcorn:

So the Homeland version of Bin Laden, who they repeated built up as a guy who wanted to make a big public splash when he attacked next, sneaks into the country and silently kills the vice president with a sneaky pace maker move then gets shot up in an abandoned refinery.

Talk about anticlimactic.

GG Abu Nazir!

So the Homeland version of Bin Laden, who they repeated built up as a guy who wanted to make a big public splash when he attacked next, sneaks into the country and silently kills the vice president with a sneaky pace maker move then gets shot up in an abandoned refinery. Talk about anticlimactic.GG Abu Nazir!
It's all part of the master plan...... :unsure:

So the Homeland version of Bin Laden, who they repeated built up as a guy who wanted to make a big public splash when he attacked next, sneaks into the country and silently kills the vice president with a sneaky pace maker move then gets shot up in an abandoned refinery. Talk about anticlimactic.GG Abu Nazir!
THAT WAS HIS TWIN BROTHER
:lmao:I posted earlier. Now Nazir is dead - the mighty terrorist is dead.... Well yes that one is but now the plan was changed and Brody did not know it. Now he's the man going to run the plot. The New York times article I posted makes a good argument. Brody used Carrie to get the Vice President killed.

Yep. We still don't know what Brody and Nazir did all that time together after the helicopter ride. Perhaps this whole thing is leading up to...
Brody strapping on another suicide vest to blow up all the dignitaries at the VP's funeral?"You want to help the vets, Jess? Take out everyone in this room."
:tents fingers like Monty Burns:

Yep. We still don't know what Brody and Nazir did all that time together after the helicopter ride. Perhaps this whole thing is leading up to...
Brody strapping on another suicide vest to blow up all the dignitaries at the VP's funeral?"You want to help the vets, Jess? Take out everyone in this room."
:tents fingers like Monty Burns:

But just as he's about to blow up the church, Chris calls to say he can't get the TV to work and needs a hug. Brody breaks down crying, kills the handicapped Marine, picks up some milk on the way home, and he and Chris sit in front of the TV eating big bowls of Fruity Pebbles and watching According to Jim.

:goodposting:

Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:Mad Men
I didn't laugh, it's not entertaining, but I rolled my eyes every other second at this show while wondering how many emo middle-aged people watch it that it's still on the air. It's downright painful to sit through.

Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:Mad Men
I didn't laugh, it's not entertaining, but I rolled my eyes every other second at this show while wondering how many emo middle-aged people watch it that it's still on the air. It's downright painful to sit through.
I'm not sure you know what emo means.

Well that's your opinion. Your terrible, terrible opinion.

I hope Saul facetimes Estis next week. Should prove to be some pretty compelling TV.
I'm still hoping for more Saul and F Murray Abraham, but yeah- have to figure Saul won't go down quietly and will have something up his sleeve for Estes.My wife figures that next season will be about Danes and Brody being on the run. I guess that makes as much sense as anything.And definitely more sense than Nazir coming to the US to do... something/anything... on soooo many levels. Still enjoy the show, despite the avalanche of eye-rolling/lazy writing: some great acting, good twists (getting silly though), and decent original concept. Plus the big TVs.

Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:

Mad Men
I'm not sure you know what emo means.
My link

I know a lot of people have complained about the absurdity of Nazir slipping into the U.S. to do whatever, but my take on that is it was done primarily to set up the confrontation between Carrie and Nazir when she was taken hostage. I don't really see any other way that confrontation could have taken place. Whether it was worth it or not is up to the viewer.

I'm also coming around to the conspiracy theory that Brody is going to continue Nazir's plans, as suggested in the NY Times piece. That would explain why Brody will be around on the show for another couple of seasons. If that is the case, then Nazir coming to the U.S. to "abduct" Brody was probably easier than finding a way to get Brody to travel out of the country to meet with Nazir.

My guess for the finale is that Carrie will save Brody from an assassination attempt and the 2 will flee together.

Users who are viewing this thread